• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of The Conduit (Wii)

pitt_norton

This is a BIG fuck you to all publishers that say the Wii is incapable of GCN x 2 graphics.

Nail the controls and level design. I am there!

sprocket

Banned
pitt_norton said:
This is a BIG fuck you to all publishers that say the Wii is incapable of GCN x 2 graphics.

Nail the controls and level design. I am there!

is it? I don't see any of the effects they had in the tech demo. The game looks flat and empty in that vid.

Nothing has come close to star fox adventures/ rebel strike in terms of graphics on the GC or Wii.

They need more support, which would came from a publisher....maybe after the npd release, third-partys will actually open their eyes?

Milabrega said:
Looks really good, and no publisher still, damn. Hope that "Deathmatch" bit at the ends means we can see some kind of online multiplayer.

They said no publisher "officially announced". We already know they've gotten quite a few offers, so I wouldn't worry about it.
And yeah, hopefully this game will have online.

pitt_norton

sprocket said:
is it? I don't see any of the effects they had in the tech demo. The game looks flat and empty in that vid.

Nothing has come close to star fox adventures/ rebel strike in terms of graphics on the GC or Wii.

At least it doesn't look like a PS2 port.

Hah, color me suprised. That actually looks really good.

They just need to market this like crazy like Red Steel and they should be able to get that audience.

The peel gun was indeed very creepy.

Wow, that definitely is leagues better than the screens!

I can't wait to see it in an even further build, to see how much better it'll look!

I don't mind the art at all, hell, the Wii could use an original, yet generic FPS once in a while, some of the most generic looking FPS have been very successful!

Sure it doesn't have a great, unique art direction, but that's not really the game's aim (pun unintended), it's aim is to deliver very high-end visuals and solid gameplay, and it definitely delivers in the visuals for now!

I like their Animale Wii Ware game, it looks like Cel Damage meets Hail to the Chimp! :lol

rakka

Hero of legend said:
I don't mind the art at all, hell, the Wii could use an original, yet generic FPS once in a while, some of the most generic looking FPS have been very successful!
... like?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I agree it doesn't look great, but remember that they've done this with limited resources. Not shabby..

VAIL

sprocket said:

Try watching it again, there is some really nice texture work in spots, plenty of particle work as the burning embers fly around, the water looked great, and some nice mapping on that critter in the end shot. Why be so negative? It's early work from a company that is doing this from the ground up, with little funding and no publisher (that may have changed by now). The initial tech demo did a lot of things, but it also ran at a snails pace.

rakka said:
... like?

Well, such as Halo, that honestly (keep in mind, I never played the games, so forgive me if I'm incorrect) doesn't really have anything more unique or special in terms of art direction!

*puts on flame and atomic bomb shield*

rakka

Well, such a Halo, that honestly (keep in mind, I never played the games, so forgive me if I'm incorrect) doesn't really have anything more unique or special in terms of art direction!
uh, no comment :lol :lol hope you aren't being serious.

The parts when enemy soldiers were shot with some sort of machine gun weapon reminded me of how Helghasts in Killzone 2 react to gunfire. :lol
except of course, it wasn't nearly as fluid

Ok wow, that looks really good for a Wii game. I thought the screenshots of the game looked like shit but in motion, damn it looks pretty damn good. Especially considering they haven't had a publisher and it's probably pretty low budget. The game actually looks fun, the music during the trailer was decent, and even the voice-acting was alright. I think this could turn out to be a really awesome game if they got a publisher.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hero of legend said:
Yes I was, and I did say I never played the games, so I never exactly examined the series in person.

Geez!

Halo has a solid art style. People just think its generic cause people rip it off.

That looked pretty mediocre, about what you would expect a small time, no-name port house developer that's creating this game out of their pocket thus far. Maybe with some time and money they can polish this into a gem, but given who is making it I'm not holding my breath.

We're likely looking at Geist 2.0, I mean this is from the makers (porters) of such fine games as:

Ben 10: Protector of Earth
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Codename: Kids Next Door - Operation: V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E.
Duel Masters
Family Guy
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude - Uncut and Uncensored
Stitch: Experiment 626
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
The Haunted Mansion
Zathura: A Space Adventure

They get an A for Effort thus far, but yeah, I don't see what most of you are in that trailer.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Jaded Alyx said:
Whoever publishes this needs to do what so few publishers do with Wii games:

ADVERTISE IT
Not only advertise but advertise effectively, many Wii publishers are having trouble doing this, I feel.

Fantastical said:
Not only advertise but advertise effectively, many Wii publishers are having trouble doing this, I feel.

Pretty much all of them, actually.
Ubisoft is one of the few that actually does it right (really the only thing they do right on the Wii).
Publishers need to learn that print ads are failure. Might as well just put up flyers around a few cities. It'd be just as effective.
TV ads or bust!

Shiggie

jaundicejuice said:
That looked pretty mediocre, about what you would expect a small time, no-name port house developer that's creating this game out of their pocket thus far. Maybe with some time and money they can polish this into a gem, but given who is making it I'm not holding my breath.

We're likely looking at Geist 2.0, I mean this is from the makers (porters) of such fine games as:

Duel Masters
Family Guy
The Haunted Mansion

They get an A for Effort thus far, but yeah, I don't see what most of you are in that trailer.
Awesomesuace.jpg

Narcosis

jaundicejuice said:

Duel Masters
Family Guy
The Haunted Mansion

Well, I can see the argument that a developer with a shitty past will likely screw up a new game (see silent hill 5), but in this case I'm taking a wait and see approach.

This list you compiled here is full of licensed games, which from what I've heard before are often a train wreck of low budgets, insane deadlines and developers appeasing the interest of property holders who know nothing about good games and just want to see their cartoon characters on a game box in the glass case at Target or Walmart ASAP.

This game has the potential to be really good or not, we can only wait and see what happens.

AceBandage said:
Ubisoft is one of the few that actually does it right (really the only thing they do right on the Wii).
Publishers need to learn that print ads are failure. Might as well just put up flyers around a few cities. It'd be just as effective.
TV ads or bust!

Ubisoft failed to advertise No More Heroes.

JRPereira

Unsure of what to think. Looks remotely interesting.

From the screenshots, imo it needs better art design or better visual polish. The gameplay video looks pretty generic.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Teknoman said:
Well we saw what happened with No more Heroes. This just goes to show, there are people who want to make a good effort towards action packed kick ass games...and even better, makes the larger companies that churn out copious amounts of crap look worse. Still pissed off that Far Cry Vengence didnt look as good or better than the Xbox 1 game.

Why they gutted most of the hardware shader effects and didn't bother to replace tev or gc equivalents. Red Steel in it's best shows wii is just as capable as xbox was in some areas, not vertex but pixel based. Ubisoft is one the the few to talk about tev and how when used how it can exceed what the systems did last gen can do shame their teams rarely demonstrate it. Though with the BG&E rumors I'm hearing I'm very anxious to see what will come out consider that game on gc has some nifty things going on and it was multiplatform to boot.

As for generic comments all I have to say is Doom and Halo f'n generic and f'n huge for fps games.

thefro

Looks surprisingly pretty good. The trailer makes it seem like it'll be the typical Sci-Fi plot with a "National Treasure" type conspiracy which could be interesting. Even this is a standard sci-fi plot to have aliens invade Washington, DC, I can't remember it in a FPS.

If they nail the controls it should be pretty fun, even if it doesn't get polished up graphically past this.

I wouldn't discount what some of these companies who have to make their money off shovelware can potentially do with funding and an original idea/quality IP... we saw what Frontier did with LostWinds and WayForward did with Shantae & Contra IV.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AceBandage said:
TV ads or bust!
One of the prime examples of bad marketing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xWoiQKjzfaI

That's the TV commercial. Then they release videos to media sites like IGN that showed people singing and having fun with the game. Blows my mind. If I knew nothing about Boogie I would be confused as hell after that commercial.

beef3483

I like what I see. That peeling weapon was pretty cool. That all seeing eye was nice too.

But more than anything I care about the controls so we'll see what happens with that.

Scrubking

Screw all you haters. This looks good. This needs to come out on the Wii.

Ubisoft is one of the few that actually does it right

No More Heroes disagrees with you. Ubisoft hasn't done anything right on the Wii.

evilone

EA Employee
Hero of legend said:
Well, such as Halo, that honestly (keep in mind, I never played the games, so forgive me if I'm incorrect) doesn't really have anything more unique or special in terms of art direction!

I lul'd @ that part. :lol :lol :lol

Corrupt

In the UK, No More Heroes is the only third party game for the Wii I can think of that actually got marketed. The adverts came on quite a lot after 9pm. I'd hope they would do a similar job with this.

thefro

AceBandage said:
Balance Board support is for the advanced cover system.
Lean on the board to look around walls!

That'd actually be pretty awesome for a gimmick. Probably wouldn't take long to throw into the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LCGeek said:
Why they gutted most of the hardware shader effects and didn't bother to replace tev or gc equivalents. Red Steel in it's best shows wii is just as capable as xbox was in some areas, not vertex but pixel based. Ubisoft is one the the few to talk about tev and how when used how it can exceed what the systems did last gen can do shame their teams rarely demonstrate it. Though with the BG&E rumors I'm hearing I'm very anxious to see what will come out consider that game on gc has some nifty things going on and it was multiplatform to boot.

As for generic comments all I have to say is Doom and Halo f'n generic and f'n huge for fps games.
Take a fucking breathe...

F#A#Oo

Banned
jaundicejuice said:

Duel Masters
Family Guy
The Haunted Mansion

One theory I would like to throw out there...

Looks to me like they saved all that licensed monies down the years they recieved...just to blow it all on making Wii games...

HK-47 said:
Halo has a solid art style. People just think its generic cause people rip it off.

No, Halo is generic because it's basically Aliens the videogame, art direction, dialog, story, ect. And I'm ok with that. Aliens is a kick ass movie, and Halo is a kick ass game. The same thing could be said of Contra and a whole list of 80's action movies. When it comes to shooters, I personally don't have a problem with a lack of originality in concept. It's more important that the gameplay and level design is solid. I think this is true of most players, especially when you consider how much time is spent on multiplayer, which has nothing to do with story or concept.

So I'm not disappointed if The Conduit looks a bit cliche. It seems like it has interesting enemies, hopefully it'll have good level design/weapon balance, and it lets me use the Wiimote, so I'm excited.

jaundicejuice said:

Your list fails because it does not include Animales de la Muerte. Check out their Wiiware efforts and tell me that they can't make an interesting product when they're not chained down by shitty licenses.

Top Bottom