• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of The Conduit (Wii)

JDSN

Banned
PR with release date:

High Voltage Software’s The Conduit is a stunning first-person action shooter that promises to provide some of the best visuals seen to date on Nintendo’s Wii gaming console.

Using their proprietary Quantum 3 Game Engine technology, the team at High Voltage Software is fusing fast and fluid gameplay with an advanced set of visuals intended to squarely establish the Wii as a true next-generation gaming platform. The first-person shooter boasts a competitive online multiplayer component and a thrilling single-player campaign. Advanced graphical features include dynamic environment mapping, interactive water with real-time reflection, and four-stage texture composition including gloss, diffuse, and bump mapping.

“Too many Wii owners have been told that the Wii is a casual platform with no room for serious games or top-tier graphics,” said Eric Nofsinger, Chief Creative Officer at High Voltage Software. “With The Conduit, we intend to prove that theory wrong by providing gamers with the kind of title they imagined back when the platform was first announced.”

Featuring terrifying alien creatures, an advanced Artificial Intelligence System, and a rich, conspiracy-laden story, The Conduit has more than a pretty face. “The Wii has tremendous potential,” said Kerry J. Ganofsky, CEO and founder of High Voltage Software. “We’ve invested heavily in our technology to make certain that potential is realized with The Conduit.”

The Conduit’s control scheme was carefully designed from the ground up with the Wii in mind, as were each of the weapons in the extensive armory, providing gameplay not possible on other platforms. As Secret Service Agent Ford, you must learn to master each of these weapons as well as the special “All Seeing Eye” device to defeat enemies, solve puzzles, and unravel the game’s mysteries.

“Conduit was especially designed for the Nintendo Wii” states Matt Corso, Creative Director at High Voltage Software. “From the weapons to armory and graphics, we tailored everything to the Wii which sets this game play apart from anything else on the market right now.”

The Conduit is currently scheduled for Q1 2009 release.

Link.

EDarkness

That's awesome. I'm glad they were able to get a publisher. Now it's just a long wait until next year before we can play it. Hopefully, they'll let people try it along the way to nail down the controls. If its' anything like Metroid Prime 3 (control wise), we're in for a treat. :)

Scrubking

Why is there a publisher and release date for this game and IGN not have the info? They've had all of the info about this game exclusively so far.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Scrubking said:
Why is there a publisher and release date for this game and IGN not have the info? They've had all of the info about this game exclusively so far.

I'm pretty sure they have it, but aren't allowed to say anything. If it was gonna be made public anywhere it would've been in that PR, so obviously it's something they want to have kept hidden right now.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Might be at Nintendo's E3 press confrence in the "hardcore games" portion of the show.

You know the hardcore games won't be a part of the press conference. They'll just leak media to the gaming press like they did last year.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I seriously hope they put as much effort into the controls as they do the look and presentation. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Jamesfrom818 said:
You know the hardcore games won't be a part of the press conference. They'll just leak media to the gaming press like they did last year.

Of course they will. The least Nintendo will do is a video montage. They will want to show off their own games as well. They arent going to just leak vids of Icarus and Disater on websites. they are going to blow that shit up.

VegaShinra

Gamer @ Heart said:
Of course they will. The least Nintendo will do is a video montage. They will want to show off their own games as well. They arent going to just leak vids of Icarus and Disater on websites. they are going to blow that shit up.
Icarus for sure. But Disaster is looking like a disaster from those Japanese screens from a month or so back. I want the game to be good, but I just don't have faith in it anymore.

VegaShinra said:
Icarus for sure. But Disaster is looking like a disaster from those Japanese screens from a month or so back. I want the game to be good, but I just don't have faith in it anymore.

Its a wii game. Lets not judge it by some screen alone. Stay positive.

Teknoman

Im going to feel really bad for High Voltage if they put all this work into the game, and it ends up not being all that.

VegaShinra said:
I know. But the lack of video footage since the original announcement can't be a good sign.
Maybe it will be the next metroid prime, where everything about the game is questionable right up to release.

It could happen. Probably won't, but it could. I will pray for it.

Scrubking

1. Don't expect some type of Half-life FPS - it will probably be very average
2. The PR statement is ridiculous, but then again most PR statements are ridiculous

The Conduit will most likely be a good game that does some cool stuff on the Wii. It won't be mindblowing, but it will be enjoyable and just what the Wii needs.

I feel the most important thing is that it shows games can look better than what most have done and that that there is an audience for these types of games on Wii.

EDarkness

Scrubking said:
1. Don't expect some type of Half-life FPS - it will probably be very average
2. The PR statement is ridiculous, but then again most PR statements are ridiculous

You know, I've been playing FPS games for years and I'm not sure what an "average" FPS game is. They all feel the same to me. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy them, but I've come to grips with the fact that if you've played one, you've played them all. So as long as the shooting is fun and enemies don't take 8 headshots to kill (ala MoH:H2), then everything should be good.

beef3483

VegaShinra said:

Let's worry about how it plays as opposed to how it looks. Graphics were never the Wiis bread and butter anyways.

VegaShinra said:
I know. But the lack of video footage since the original announcement can't be a good sign.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Nintendo did the same thing with Soma Bringer before it released, and it turned out great.

Anyway, The Conduit is turning out very interestingly. Hope they really bring things together perfectly.

News shots from the game :

0000143418.jpg

0000143419.jpg

0000143420.jpg

More images there : Source

That does look good... vastly better than what most third parties are doing, and considering High Voltage did a lot of this without a publisher -- more power to them

However, I hope the level design is nice and varied. The Metroid Prime games had lots of lovely organic levels, streaming door to door, even indoor metallic areas looked interesting. A lot of FPS games running on systems in the Wii's league tend to fall prey to bland flat walls and floors, texture doors, nasty sky boxes, things like that. I'd love to see these guys really pull something special out of the bag.

Also -- I hope those filing cabinets are opening on their own and spilling paper work everywhere.

rakka

yoopoo said:
Red Steel looks better than this effort, in screens and in motion.
well considering nearly all RS screenshots on the web are bullshots, not surprising.

to be fair, conduit's doing some things better than red steel -- not much though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't know if I should think it looks nice or not :(

I mean, there's potential and I really hope they can deliver a solid product in the end, graphics or not.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
yoopoo said:
Red Steel looks better than this effort, in screens and in motion.
This. I think people are convincing themselves that these look good. I think these shots look downright ugly. I'm not even sure how it's technically good looking. I appreciate that HVS is trying, but... this is definitely not the best looking game and I don't think it's the hardcore, quality game we're dying for like they are selling it from what I'm seeing.

I hope I'm wrong but... nothing looks appealing to me.

rakka

Fantastical said:
This. I think people are convincing themselves that these look good. I think these shots look downright ugly.
mostly due to the horrific art

I'm not even sure how it's technically good looking.
some of the lighting (realtime shadows in there iirc), gun models (not the organic ones, those are fucking ugly) i can say are > red steel's

I appreciate that HVS is trying, but... this is definitely not the best looking game and I don't think it's the hardcore, quality game we're dying for like they are selling it from what I'm seeing.
nope definitely not, but at least it isn't babies party or something

TunaLover

DeaconKnowledge said:
I think this is the perfect example of technical beauty. Its artistic design leaves a bit to be desired.
My thoughts exactly, those neon lights in the gloves are pretty much too much =(

agrajag

Banned
I'd love to see some Metroid Prime 3 bullshots. I bet its bullshots could be mistaken for a 360 game. That game looks so beautiful in motion, but all the screenshots on teh intrawebz suck ass.

jrricky

Banned
Those look great. what the hell is wrong with u guys. This is one year away and judging from the screens it looks very sharp for its time. Compare this to Spy...I wont even go there...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
jrricky said:
Those look great. what the hell is wrong with u guys. This is one year away and judging from the screens it looks very sharp for its time. Compare this to Spy...I wont even go there...
At least Spyborgs has a decent art style. Are you telling me that this looks good?
the-conduit-20080611021234304_640w.jpg

the-conduit-20080611021221070_640w.jpg

the-conduit-20080611021211070_640w.jpg

the-conduit-20080611021224929_640w.jpg

the-conduit-20080611021353975.jpg

Some shots do look decent though:
the-conduit-20080611021227476_640w.jpg

the-conduit-20080611021237288_640w.jpg

the-conduit-20080611021355990_640w.jpg

[Nintex] said:
The levels look ok, but they really need to get rid of those ugly aliens.:lol
I think that's my main problem with them. Seriously, some of the alien textures are N64 level. (See my first screenshot)

Pojo

Banned
Do you people really, honestly think this game looks good?

Really?

It looks bland, repetitive, and has horrible art. It looks like Geist 2.

Then again, it could be a blast to play, so I don't want the developers to be discouraged. But technically, it looks like what it is: a small budget FPS.

lordmrw

THe look of the game is uneven. The tech is there to do good visuals, its just the art direction(or lack thereof) is holding it back. I'm interested in what someone like Ubisoft could do with this engine.

lordmrw said:
THe look of the game is uneven. The tech is there to do good visuals, its just the art direction(or lack thereof) is holding it back. I'm interested in what someone like Ubisoft could do with this engine.

Make a crappy Dogz game where you play as a baby.

Top Bottom