• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of The Conduit (Wii)

JDSN

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Well, the problem is that I'm allergic to the genre, outside games that have a fu*** great art design and/or story and/or exploration part. So, I selectively pick up FPS games.

So why havent you played Deus Ex again?

Taurus

Looks nice. Like many already mentioned, very Haloish and/or Metroid Primeish vibes. Nail the controls and I'm there day 1!

Haruspex

Banned
Reminiscent of Geist spliced with Halo, but it seems without the interesting features that saved Geist or the polish of Halo. Shame, because they seem to have a decent engine up and running there, credit to them that they are putting out better graphics on the Wii than much bigger developers. I'm always drawn into supporting the underdog even if the execution is flawed.

Also I'm getting a Perfect Dark vibe from it too, which is always good.

Shockgamer said:
loweredexpectations.jpg
:lol damn :lol

Zenith

Banned
pitt_norton said:
This is a BIG fuck you to all publishers that say the Wii is incapable of GCN x 2 graphics.

are you kidding? it looks the same as Area 51 and Red Faction 2. 2 x last gen? it doesn't even beat Black.

Lobster

Banned
Zenith said:
are you kidding? it looks the same as Area 51 and Red Faction 2. 2 x last gen? it doesn't even beat Black.

Man take a look at Black screenshots.

Thats beating fucking next gen :lol

Zenith said:
Id have to agree. Besides, mario galaxy already proved that the wii could have amazing graphics and silky framerates in the same package.

batbeg

Although I support the teams efforts, especially with their WiiWare titles, this still doesn't look like anything special to me except for a couple things (I like the way that limb-gun thing looked).

But it's making people happy, so eh.

Lobster

Banned
black-20060209114621932.jpg

black-20060209114623635.jpg

black-20060209114624572.jpg

black-20060130105905462.jpg

Looks as good as next-gen.

Infact it looks better than some next-gen games.

My post just proves the fact that you shouldn't rely on bullshots like GAF is doing to put this game down.

EDarkness

What gets me is that people are complaining about the game looking "meh", but as someone who enjoys these kinds of games, none of the trailers for any other FPS really draw me in. They look bland. Which is why I never rely on trailers for these kinds of games. For a FPS, this game looks like any other. The proof will be in the playing. Still, I'm hoping that this game turns out well...especially the control.

I'll pick this up if for no other reason to support their effort. Hopefully it won't end up like MoH2. The single player sucked bad in that game.

Jethro

At least an Egoshooter for Wii after a long time. With multiplayer and a control scheme like in MoH it could be decent. I keep an eye on it.

The potential is there. The game needs a barrel of polish though. The engine isn't really cranking out what they said it could do.

Lobster said:

My post just proves the fact that you shouldn't rely on bullshots like GAF is doing to put this game down.

i forgot how good that game looked...shit

Lobster said:

So the name of that game is Black?

The trailer looked OK for an FPS. I did get a slight Metroid Prime vibe from some of the screens but the rest was, well, generic. Man, I hate the fact that FPS as a genre is so damn popular. It means that nearly every single one is a rehash of what was done before :(

abstract alien said:
i forgot how good that game looked...shit
Obviously you did.

Great looking game in it's own right... but it looks nothing like that in action. Much prettier then your average PS2 shooter though.

Lobster

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Obviously you did.

Great looking game in it's own right... but it looks nothing like that in action. Much prettier then your average PS2 shooter though.

Yup.

A lot of people keep comparing the graphics in this to Black.

Black looks nothing like it does in screens guys..

just go watch the videos.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Heh, I initially thought they were Conduit shots and was going to say that it was far and away the best looking Wii game I had seen (the trailer was ugly, but also low-res). Black still looks fantastic, though, but in motion, it doesn't really match current gen shooters. It wasn't even on par with Half-Life 2 (a 2004 game).

Zer0

Banned
jibblypop said:
"Mayority"? Seriously? Some spelling mistakes are just too much to take.

specially when ur native language its not english :D :D :D

btw black looks way way better than this game,but at the same time black got a big budget and very experienced team and publisher behind

Stitch

Gold Member
rofl @ the black shots

the game looked good for a ps2 game but those screens are clearly bullshots.

man, those pics of Black had my mind in a spin for a second...i had to go fire it up and see it in person. The posted captures do the game a bit too much justice, because it doesnt look quite that nice, but still looks damn good as far as im concerned. Its about how i remember it after playing it again just now, still a nice looking game though. I was almost in heaven with those Black screens hahaha:lol

Ulairi

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
no, it really hasn't. i see an ugly, dated fps with a tired generic theme that, if reviewed for the pc back in 1999, would serve as the 30% gag score that buttressed the inflated scores given to black and white -- or worse, an fps that doesn't even have the common decency to control well. so i am forced to ask myself WHAT THE FUCK and when my eyes stop rolling like vegas slots they focus on the only reasonable answer i can muster: fucking ninthings want games, but they didn't buy a game console.

voo1.jpg

Ya...sure looks like quake III. I know hyperbole is kind of your "thing" but, can you at least be a little more on the mark?

jibblypop

Banned
Zer0 said:
specially when ur native language its not english :D :D :D

Damn. I wouldn't have said anything if I knew that. I just thought you were typing too fast and hit the wrong button. Sorry about that.

dLMN8R

Air Zombie Meat said:
Eh? Mind naming all these other competing first person shooters on the wii with tens of million bugets?

Also, I'd say if they can do an fps with good wiimote controls, that would be fairly innovative.
Not on Wii, but on other platforms. Why should I care about The Conduit's samey, generic looking gameplay just because it might be a bit original for the Wii, when I own other platforms too?

I'm not going to care about a game just because it might be something new for the platform. For many gamers, the Wii is their second (or third) console, many people having gaming PCs too, and for those gamers, The Conduit offers absolutely jack shit new to them.

The people gushing over this title are just as wrong as the people claiming it to be generic and boring. WAIT AND SEE, people. Nobody has even played it yet.

Fucking nintendo fanboys/Wiiphobes.

Exempted

Banned
jibblypop said:
Damn. I wouldn't have said anything if I knew that. I just thought you were typing too fast and hit the wrong button. Sorry about that.
Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but "mayor" is the Spanish way of saying "major."

Arde5643 said:
I just want a pretty good console FPS without sucky controls.

If Conduit fits that bill, it's day one for me.

oh christ. 360/PS3 FPS controls don't "suck". They're far inferior to PC FPS controls, but they're serviceable, and I don't think a single Wii game has proven that Wii FPS controls are incontrovertibly superior in all facets. IR is more sensitive, but it has that whole "dead zone" and turn speed issue, even in Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

I'm with the meh crowd. It may be a technical achievement, A for effort and all that, but the art is stupid, the dialog reminds me of some shitty game I can't remember and the game in general seems like a mix of games like Area 51 and Prey. Prey had some things going for it but Area 51 was just generic sci-fi BS.

pakkit

Banned
From a design standpoint it seems like every single mildly successful sci-fi shooter was put in a blender and pulverized. Seriously, in that trailer alone I saw Unreal (enemies), Deus Ex (bad voice acting/secret organizations), Halo (weapons), and even Bioshock (that all seeing eye was being held just like those gloopy balls (haw) in Bioshock.

Still, I'm excited. Wii has not had a good online FPS, or even a good single-player FPS. Yes, MoH:H2 nailed the controls, and had half-decent online, but its single player was a yawner.

And all this "LOL the developer sukks" needs to stop too. Sure, High Voltage games has released plenty of steaming piles, but there is one common link between all of them: they're licenced games and/or ports. The only game any of you should be focusing on is Hunter: The Reckoning, their only original IP game, that was really fun.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic, but really people, as one of the nongamers that bought a Wii (...DrinkyCrow), Wii NEEDS games like this.

Lobster said:

:lol
What does that statement even mean? It's vagueness seems to infer that you think it looks as good as all current generation games. Does it look just as good as Killzone 2? Or Gears of War? Or Halo 3? Black looked damn good for a PS2 game, but let's not be ridiculous here.

Lobster said:

This is running on my wii? Wow

Fantastical said:
Hmmm, you're right. Looking back and videos... the game looks worse than I remember it. But the effects are still amazing.

Right, Black was a great looking game, just not THAT good.
Still, for a game still in development, being funded out of pocket, Conduit looks fine.
Also, I don't understand the people that don't like the VA. I thought it was good.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AceBandage said:
Right, Black was a great looking game, just not THAT good.
Still, for a game still in development, being funded out of pocket, Conduit looks fine.
Also, I don't understand the people that don't like the VA. I thought it was good.
One of the things that did impress me in this video was the VA. When it started with the VA I got a very good impression.
Definitely not bad. Hell, I just watched one of the videos from Black and that had worse VA from the clip I saw.

stilgar

Thank you guys for quoting all the images twice...sorry, three times; the best is that there are not even from the game of which we're speaking in this thread. Brilliant.

Top Bottom