• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of The Conduit (Wii)

jts

...hate me...
Drinky Crow said:
it won't sell, period. fuck, this wouldn't even sell on the 360, where the audience adores third-rate fps offerings.

it's a generic sci-fi shooter with 1999's graphics, terrible art direction, and the usual godawful wii fps controls. if you want it to sell to the chucklefucks what own a wii, switch the characters to fisher-price wibble folk, set it in a karaoke bar, and ask folks to waggle the remote along to a collection of meredith brooks and shawn colvin adult contemporary hits
After all the crow you ate and still eat on a regular basis about Wii's sales, one would imagine you'd just STFU about what will or will not sell ;)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Drinky Crow said:
is that the quake 3 engine? wow, i've really been wanting to revisit the generic half-life knock-offs developed in the eastern bloc circa 1999

please tell me the wii library isn't so utterly wretched that this elicits interest

please

Holy fucking cow :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You're fucking cruel but I couldn't help but laugh.

mio said:
After all the crow you ate and still eat on a regular basis about Wii's sales, one would imagine you'd just STFU about what will or will not sell ;)

how so? gamers still aren't buying the wii. if seven million folks bought a sega pico tomorrow, i wouldn't feel ashamed that i didn't anticipate that response, either. i don't factor non-gamers into my prognostication.

gutshot

Looks meh to me. Not horrible, but not great either. Like others have said though, the fact that they were able to do this on a small budget is impressive. And the fact that they are trying to produce something other than the usual shovelware Wii gets is nice too.

However, I'm still more interested in their WiiWare games. Gyrostarr and Animales de la Muerte look all kinds of awesome. Hey, maybe the money they make from those games will help fund the development of this one?

EDIT: We have a Drinky Crow sighting people!

GrayFoxPL

Omg FPS that has colors! I guess someone didn't get the memo how to make a modern day fps. They need to apply Brown, yellow or blue next gen filter and turn down the saturnation stat.

Teknoman

Drinky Crow said:
how so? gamers still aren't buying the wii. if seven million folks bought a sega pico tomorrow, i wouldn't feel ashamed that i didn't anticipate that response, either. i don't factor non-gamers into my prognostication.

15clt0y.gif

It's already been explained why some are "excited" about this concept.

clav

Mehtacular. It looks like it's going to play like Red Steel, and there is barely anything happening in those screens.

Lobster

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
don't be so tender, my little weepy vulva of a friend. buy a 360 and come back to gaming!

I would buy a 360 if it didn't have a 1 month breakdown guarantee sticker on it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lobster said:
Everybody tends to agree too.

Haha, Drinky is an entertainer.

Though I would like a serious topic where he talked about why he considers Killer 7 a good example of video game storytelling.

Yes I was rereading the Odin Sphere is worthy of literary canon topic...

claviertekky said:
Mehtacular. It looks like it's going to play like Red Steel, and there is barely anything happening in those screens.

How does it look like it'll play like Red Steel?
You can already seen that they've implemented a bounding box similar to MP3 on Expert Mode, and it'll probably be adjustable like MoH:H2.

Teknoman said:
<incomprehensible image snipped>

It's already been explained why some are "excited" about this concept.

no, it really hasn't. i see an ugly, dated fps with a tired generic theme that, if reviewed for the pc back in 1999, would serve as the 30% gag score that buttressed the inflated scores given to black and white -- or worse, an fps that doesn't even have the common decency to control well. so i am forced to ask myself WHAT THE FUCK and when my eyes stop rolling like vegas slots they focus on the only reasonable answer i can muster: fucking ninthings want games, but they didn't buy a game console.

clav

AceBandage said:
How does it look like it'll play like Red Steel?
You can already seen that they've implemented a bounding box similar to MP3 on Expert Mode, and it'll probably be adjustable like MoH:H2.
Mmm... I'm one of few who didn't enjoy playing MP3. Went about a couple hours into it (when I finally got the ship), but I just had a hard time doing stuff quickly I usually do in shooters especially with the pointing aim. Sold it to a friend.

I hope they give the option to play with the classic controller or something along the lines of that.

Still, not much is happening in that video. Doesn't seem exciting.

claviertekky said:
Mmm... I'm one of few who didn't enjoy playing MP3. Went about a couple hours into it (when I finally got the ship), but I just had a hard time doing stuff quickly I usually do in shooters especially with the pointing aim. Sold it to a friend.

I hope they give the option to play with the classic controller or something along the lines of that.

Really? That's very odd.
Personally, I found it much more fluid than dual analog. And it's VERY doubtful they'll include classic controller support.

Drinky Crow said:
no, it really hasn't. i see an ugly, dated fps with a tired generic theme that, if reviewed for the pc back in 1999, would serve as the 30% gag score that buttressed the inflated scores given to black and white -- or worse, an fps that doesn't even have the common decency to control well. so i am forced to ask myself WHAT THE FUCK and when my eyes stop rolling like vegas slots they focus on the only reasonable answer i can muster: fucking ninthings want games, but they didn't buy a game console.
Now kick'em!

Exempted

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
how so? gamers still aren't buying the wii.
Before: "Once all the GameCube Nintendo fanboys re-buy their repackaged hardware, the sales will die down. That's who's buying it."

After: "No gamers buy this, nor did they ever. Oceania has always been our enemy."

Banned
Why are people treating this like a AAA game?

It's made by a small studio with no funding. What the hell were you guys expecting? Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory?

It's made by a small studio with no funding. What the hell were you guys expecting? Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory?
You get it from both sides.

Those that think it's going to be great are just as wrong as those that think it will be crap.

I applaud their effort. Herculean in comparison to the majority of the industry.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thunder Monkey said:

Those that think it's going to be great are just as wrong as those that think it will be crap.

I applaud their effort. Herculean in comparison to the majority of the industry.

So it cant be great or crap? Now you are trying to play both sides...

Lobster

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

What if you think its going to be good?

Zer0

Banned
Exempted said:
In the country of zero IQs, the dumbfucks are wise.

you are the first poster who used the tag to attack me,seriously :D :D :D

whatever,why this game is so praised? because its looks decent,cant say the same of the mayority of wii games

Mohonky

Lobster said:
I would buy a 360 if it didn't have a 1 month breakdown guarantee sticker on it.

The newer models don't. Get over it.

Watched the video and I'm not hugely sold on the game. Very bland environments, the Wii is definitely capable of more than that. Not a lot happening AI wise either.

Not sure on what the appeal of the title is exactly but as was mentioned earlier, it does look like a shooter circa 1999. I'm assuming it has some sort of interesting gameplay element not evident in the movie because I didn't see anything that really grabbed me personally but I've not been following the development of this title either.

Zer0 said:
you are the first poster who used the tag to attack me,seriously :D :D :D

whatever,why this game is so praised? because its looks decent,cant say the same of the mayority of wii games
That's actually why.

The art style is major sleepage, the mechanics sound like anything you could get on the 360 and prettier, but the engine is pushing the little Wiimotewonder harder then any game has so far.

It's technical proficiencies though are overshadowed by their art directors lack of artisticness.

It's a nice little engine though.

HK-47 said:
So it cant be great or crap? Now you are trying to play both sides...
I always tend to play both sides of any argument. One minute I'll be a Wii owners best friend, the next I'll be pissing in their cornflakes. Or rubbing my genitals on their keyboard so I can laugh about them technically touching my wang.

On top of that it makes for a fairly convoluted post history.

dLMN8R

Meh. Give me a PC shooter or a metroid prime over that generic crap any day. It looked like a bad recreation of that SiN Episode that didn't go anywhere.

A small studio with no funding should know better than to try to make a game competing with others that have budgets in the tens of millions. Gamers have every right to be skeptical of a game that looks like yet another generic shooter.

A small studio with no funding should try to be innovative if they want to make a mark on the gaming world. This video is anything but.

Eteric Rice

dLMN8R said:
Meh. Give me a PC shooter or a metroid prime over that generic crap any day. It looked like a bad recreation of that SiN Episode that didn't go anywhere.

A small studio with no funding should know better than to try to make a game competing with others that have budgets in the tens of millions. Gamers have every right to be skeptical of a game that looks like yet another generic shooter.

A small studio with no funding should try to be innovative if they want to make a mark on the gaming world. This video is anything but.

But there are no games on the Wii with bugets of tens of millions from third parties.

More like a few hundred thousand or something.

jibblypop

Banned
Zer0 said:
cant say the same of the mayority of wii games

"Mayority"? Seriously? Some spelling mistakes are just too much to take.

Game looks fun to me. Getting a Timesplitters vibe from it which is one of my favorites from the last generation of FPS. I hope a publisher picks it up.

dLMN8R said:

Eh? Mind naming all these other competing first person shooters on the wii with tens of million bugets?

Also, I'd say if they can do an fps with good wiimote controls, that would be fairly innovative.

jts

...hate me...
Air Zombie Meat said:
Eh? Mind naming all these other competing first person shooters on the wii with tens of million bugets?

Also, I'd say if they can do an fps with good wiimote controls, that would be fairly innovative.
Ever heard of Metroid Prime 3? Medal of Honor Heroes 2? They have easily better controls that any analog stick first person shooter.

Cynar said:
yes they do, hopefully the stuff in the summer won't (but I doubt it)
There's a reason that concave designs are so rare in high heat outputting devices.

I have no doubt there would have never been a problem with the 360 if MS had went for a functional design over a pretty design.

HK-47 said:
Not played Shock or Deus Ex?

Well, the problem is that I'm allergic to the genre, outside games that have a fu*** great art design and/or story and/or exploration part. So, I selectively pick up FPS games.

I played Bioshock and Metroid Prime III Corruption for example and they were amazing.

Resident Evil 4 was more horror-story-exploration oriented, so I played it too. I dislike, for example, shitty games like Umbrella Chronicles and ultra-violent games like GTA, even if I know that it should be a amazing gaming experience.

I usually wouldnt be excited about a game like this(although i do like the weapon designs), but the fact that its on the wii and i can use the wiimote to play this makes me want it really bad. Ill be getting this...standard shooters are just so much better for me on the wii. Well, the control is(with aiming and motion gestures), the game itself is another matter most of the time though.

Top Bottom