• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First free DLC to drop for Titanfall 2 11/30

deoee

This is the second big community Update from Respawn and the first one about the future of the game:

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/frontier-news-network-2/

For people at work or on mobile:

I’ve been fortunate to work on some great games and be a part of some amazing communities during my career but I’ve never seen or experienced anything like the launch of Titanfall 2. The outpouring of support, positivity, and surge of new players in the Titanfall community has been staggering to take in. Reviews have been glowing, our Titanfall subreddit has nearly doubled since launch and we’ve seen tremendous chatter and engagement across all our feeds. It’s a truly remarkable movement to be a part of. We’re humbled to see such a response and it feels like every day we’re emailing each other new comments and threads that are touching to read. Thank you to everyone that has reached out to share your stories. It means the world to us.

Currently, our launch communication has been focused on addressing bug and balancing feedback, promoting Titanfall 2, and amplifying the incredible critical and fan reactions. We’ve heard your concerns loud and clear about the longevity of Titanfall 2 and what’s next for future content. Today we are starting that conversation. First let’s look at the big picture and make a crucial point about our DLC vision crystal clear: All maps, modes, weapons —anything that has effect on gameplay— will be free for all players that bought Titanfall 2. We believe that in order to maintain a healthy community we shouldn’t be segmenting players behind paywalls for these things.

In addition to the free stuff, we will be opening a store in game with the launch of DLC #1 that will allow you to purchase new skins, camo and Prime Titans if you want for a modest price. We will have no in-game currency exchange. No locked loot boxes, crafting shards or pay-to-win weaponry. No RNG. If you see something you like, you buy it and that’s it. These in no way effect stats and are purely cosmetic. We will have two Prime Titans available at launch. They have new chassis and assassinations but function the exact same way as their original counterparts.

The first DLC drop will be on November 30, 2016 and it’s called Angel City’s Most Wanted. We’ll be going into more detail and showing it off closer to launch but here’s a high level look at the free content you’ll be getting: Angel City’s Most Wanted [all content below will be FREE]: Angel City map: A fan favorite map from Titanfall 1 is reborn for Titanfall 2.

Fans that pre-ordered Titanfall 2 will get access to the Angel City map starting on November 30. All other players will get access to the Angel City map starting on December 3rd.

Wingman Elite Pistol

Titan Kits: Get more customization for your Titan with these all new kits.

Ion: Refraction Lens
Splitter Rifle splits 5 ways
Scorch: Scorched Earth
Flame Core ignites the ground, leaving thermite in its wake
Northstar: Threat Optics
Enemies are highlighted while zooming in
Tone: Burst Loader
Aiming allows the 40mm to store up to 3 shots to burst fire
Legion: Hidden Compartment
Power Shot has two charges
Ronin: Phase Reflex
When doomed, Ronin phases out of danger

Pilot Execution [Phase Shift]
Stats screen
FAQ menu
In-game store

Angel City’s Most Wanted is just the beginning of our support for Titanfall 2. We will have more drops that will differ in size and scope but the additional maps, modes, and weapons available will continue to be free. We’ll be revealing just what these are next year but in the meantime here’s what kind of events and updates you can expect from us for 2016:

GAME MODE TWISTS
Changing things up and trying out new ways to play is a big part of how we work here at Respawn. We’re carrying that philosophy over to multiplayer with semi-regular events that will change up rule sets on certain games, giving them a “twist” to how you might normally play them. Changes like these force players (and ourselves) to look at the game differently and try some things you may never have tried before.
DOUBLE XP WEEKENDS
Beyond new content and rules that change the game, we’re also big fans of giving excuses for all your friends to pile into Titanfall 2 over a weekend to reap bonus XP, level up faster or unlock a weapon you’ve had your eye on and generally have some fun. Don’t forget to coordinate with your Networks to optimize your happy hour merit madness!
TOP NETWORKS RECOGNITION
Networks represent our grand experiment to make Titanfall 2 a meaningful social experience for all players. Being a part of a Network is a great way to meet new people and get bonuses for playing, so every week you’ll find us calling out a few Networks we think are worth checking out. You can join as many Networks as you like, so make a point to join one that interests you! It’s a great way to meet fellow Pilots and have fun together.
SOCIAL GIVEAWAYS
Make sure to follow @respawn because every Wednesday we’ll get doing random giveaways that could be anything from the Titanfall 2 Art book, signed posters, and much more.

And this is just all the stuff we’re ready to talk about right now! We’ve got more that we’re working through but isn’t ready for prime time just yet. What I hope you’ll take away from this as that this is just the start. We are committed to supporting Titanfall 2 for the long haul and look forward to taking this journey with you.

Patch notes are about the get posted too

Remember all future game-changing DLC is free

Schlorgan

Daniel-Bryan-YES-YES-YES.gif

Any screenshots or video of the remade map?

Edit Feeling real happy I picked this over BF1.

Although I think they really messed up by not having a EA access/Origin Access trial. I probably woulda bought the game full price if I coulda tried it before hand. Thankfully they passed and I saved 30 bucks. :p

We will have no in-game currency exchange. No locked loot boxes, crafting shards or pay-to-win weaponry. No RNG. If you see something you like, you buy it and that’s it. These in no way effect stats and are purely cosmetic.

Pretty much the best you could hope for in terms of microtransactions. Surprised EA wasn't able to bully them into something more sinister.

deoee

This is the best implementation of paid DLC in a long long time.

I don't know how EA allows for that, but please - whoever is on the fence:

SUPPORT THIS GAME AND THE MODEL IT IS RUNNING.

This needs to be the future for DLC.

I mean, that's 8 days away.

BUILD SOME HYPE!!!!

Bungie are you listening? This is the way it should be. No RNG nonsense on purchasable cosmetics. Bravo. Bought this game on the Origin sale have yet to dive in. Too much BF1 right now.

Should have waited for the patch notes so we can have one ultimate post. I dont even know if patch notes are coming today, or closer to the release of the map

I'm really glad to hear that they aren't going to add in-game currency or loot boxes. It's a huge "Fuck you" to industry practices right now and I love it. They are doing a great job at keeping this game alive despite EA's best efforts to screw everything up.

Xater

So can you also earn the new skins in some way or can you just buy them for real money? It sounds like you can only buy them.

I think they are doing the right thing here, but an option to earn some in-game currency even if it involves a lot of grinding is always nice.

So can you also earn the new skins in some way or can you just buy them for real money? It sounds like you can only buy them.

I think they are doing the right thing here, but an option to earn some in-game currency even if it involves a lot of grinding is always nice.

reads like you can buy with in game currency or money. It's an excellent approach. I am eager to give them more money.

Have you played the game? You gain currency in game already

Chris1

reads like you can buy with in game currency or money. It's an excellent approach. I am eager to give them more money.

Have you played the game? You gain currency in game already

You can only buy them with real money only.

The problem with allowing you to buy them with currency is you'll just buy the thing you want and never give respawn a penny, which isn't fair considering they're gonna support it with free DLC. Or they make it cost a ton of in game credits to make buying with money enticing, but that's even worse.

The only decent "compromise" i could see is real money = can get whatever you want, in game currency = loot box

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
You can only buy them with real money only.

The problem with allowing you to buy them with currency is you'll just buy the thing you want and never give respawn a penny, which isn't fair considering they're gonna support it with free DLC. Or they make it cost a ton of in game credits to make buying with money enticing, but that's even worse.

The only decent "compromise" i could see is real money = can get whatever you want, in game currency = loot box

The real problem, I feel, is that by allowing microtransactions to be purchased by credits as well as money the game progression becomes designed around that so the grind is steeper because the developers want to make purchasing items with real money enticing.

By keeping it separate, Respawn can design the game progression for unlockables however it wants.

So like you said, but I've yet to see a developer make purchasing items pretty cheap when it can be bought with money. Unless the items are completely random.

Cmagus

Awesome news, the free DLC and no season pass was the reason I went with this game over BF1. Honestly the new stuff sounds great and Angel City is a great map that really allows for much more soldier free running which I wish TF2 had more of so I can't wait.

KodaRuss

I preordered the game from Amazon, was I supposed to get some code to play Angel City early?

There are a lot of people in this boat (myself included), hopefully there is some clarification soon. If you are going to be a sucker and preorder (like me) at least you should get some sort of badge that says you are a sucker right?

I picked this game as my one FPS to buy this year and it was because of their philosophy about DLC. I don't want to have to spend $120 to get the "Full Game" with a season pass or some shit.

Do you think it is possible that EA punished Respawn and their free DLC offering with the terrible release window? Seems pretty shortsighted if so but I just can't figure out any other reason they would send it off to die the way they did.

Personally I think the free DLC will be this game's saving grace in the long run and it will help the community continue to grow.

Top Bottom