• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Frozen Baby Woolly Rhino Discovered In Siberia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

It looks like sheepskin.

Pretty amazing discovery!

Rowlf2.jpg

LOL.

Meth. Not even once.

bengraven

This shit is really exciting to me as a prehistory nerd! I'm nerding the fuck out.

Look at that coloration, I figured it would be darker or more red like the mammoth.

Hopefully we can find a bigger one, or even better another species!

Big-E

Great, but am I the only one that is a little sad about this as we are probably going to be finding more things in the ice now that all the ice is going away.

If this ever happened in the future, it will be the biggest "fuck you" from fate if it happens after I'm dead.

Seriously, take your cell phones and vidya games and internet and clean cars and everything, just give me prehistoric animals.

Look in a mirror?

the whole "prehistoric" term hides the fact these are actually contemporary animals, and should have been around if not for some "inexplicable" event that conspired as hominids travelled the globe.

( I just wonder where we will be if a non-human types up our history between animals. )

Chuckie

Super awesome!

This does mean we will have a yearly: "Scientists close to cloning wooly rhino!"- thread next to our yearly "Scientists close to cloning mammoth"-thread

Chichikov

It has a 500 year-ish half life, but I imagine the low temperatures in which these types of carcasses are found would alter that.
Temperature, which is the kinetic energy of atoms/molecules does not affect nuclear decay, which is a fundamental nuclear force.
With that being said, you are right that 500(ish) years is indeed the half life of DNA as therefore we are able to find much older usable DNA, I believe the record is around 800,000 years and scientists believe we can go up to about 1.5 million years.
No enough for dinosaurs, but easily enough for some awesome megafauna.

Clone me a Diprotodon science, I want to ride a giant wombat dammit!

Temperature, which is the kinetic energy of atoms/molecules does not affect nuclear decay, which is a fundamental nuclear force.
With that being said, you are right that 500(ish) years is indeed the half life of DNA as therefore we are able to find much older usable DNA, I believe the record is around 800,000 years and scientists believe we can go up to about 1.5 million years.
No enough for dinosaurs, but easily enough for some awesome megafauna.

Clone me a Diprotodon science, I want to ride a giant wombat dammit!

so are you telling me whe are never seeing dinos?

Fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom