• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First full trailer for 'The Mummy' (2017, Tom Cruise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

olore

Cruise is always entertaining. And interesting to see Are you not entertained in there too. And wow, he really does not age in this time-space universe does he

Machina

Banned
Mummy needs more creepiness rather than looking like Enchantress.

tumblr_nvco7zSb5X1rzoi3uo9_500.gif

tumblr_nrhoovXd4Z1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

I'll defend The Mummy 1 and 2 until the last breath. They were awesome.

SJRB

Gold Member
Eh, that was fucking crazy.

I'm in.

Plot twist: Tom Cruise is ACTUALLY immortal and they just used it in the movie because why not.

Amalthea

Banned
As a fan of both the original and the 1999 version this really seems like one of those adaptions where they don't really want to adapt the property. Like they remove the film so far from the original that the people involved feel like they might haul theur bored asses through production so that they can really shoehorn those old horror films into a super hero mold in the end.

Sölf

Not feeling it. I never saw the original one, but I really liked the Fraser Movies (yes, even the third one with glorious CGI Scorpion King). This one? Not sure. Looks like a generic action movie that is too serious. Hm.

Errr..needs more of an arabic tone, what is this london has fallen crap.
All they need to do is add Oded Fehr to the cast and the movie will be instantly better.

The Mummy 1 and 2 (especially 1) are up there with my favourite movies of all time. There's a special charm about them and much of that comes from the setting and the look of the Mummy.

This new one, looks ok but the modern city setting and the look of the new Mummy seems to have lost a lot of that charm.

To me, it looks like they're focused too much on making it work within the whole monster movie tie-in.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now but not holding my breath on it being great.

krang

The first two of the first reboot series (The Mummy and The Mummy Returns) are some of, if not the most fun fantasy/action movies I've ever seen.

This looks like a half-decent fantasy romp, but it doesn't look much fun. A solid "I'll wait until it's on Sky Cinema" from me.

Dominator

I've seen the three Mummy movies but I have no certain affinity for them. I'm down for whatever wacky shape this takes, plus I'm all is for more Cruise.

I adore The Mummy(1999) and it's sequel. It had a very colorful look to it, full of charm, wit and a great sense of adventure. Also, I have to give a nod to the score by the late Jerry Goldsmith. It's AMAZING. This however seems to have none of that but I guess it's too early to judge.

However, I'm in it for Cruise. WTF at that scream though? lol.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Cruise is always entertaining. And interesting to see Are you not entertained in there too. And wow, he really does not age in this time-space universe does he

He actually looks better than he did in Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and the recent Jack Reacher.

AHA-Lambda

Wtf was that scream??

And how did he survive that plane crash? :/

So wait, is Tom Cruise playing a reanimated corpse or did they just pack him up without checking for vitals?

Yeah what the hell? I just can't let that scene go with no explanation :/

People in graphic plane disaster? Check.
Famous landmarks and people running in CGI destruction? Check.

It looks like your average disaster movie.

Wtf was that scream??

And how did he survive that plane crash? :/

Yeah what the hell? I just can't let that scene go with no explanation :/

I assume he didn't and now he's under the influence of some kind of curse? But to be honest I don't really care enough to think about it beyond that.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Kind of dig the shift to a more horror style tone, but it looks very sterile and I wish the set pieces looked more original.

The scene in the crashing airplane was original. I liked that bit. But then you get a shots of London covered in a dark cloud and a screaming supernatural woman and it all reminds me of Suicide Squad and my interest in the movie drops several notches.

Bishop89

I adore The Mummy(1999) and it's sequel. It had a very colorful look to it, full of charm, wit and a great sense of adventure. Also, I have to give a nod to the score by the late Jerry Goldsmith. It's AMAZING. This however seems to have none of that but I guess it's too early to judge.

However, I'm in it for Cruise. WTF at that scream though? lol.

fixed

deleted

Looks really stupid and not in a charming way.

The way Cruise falls through the Bus sideways is the stuff I'm extremely and utterly tired of in Blockbusters.

So far, the Plot looks more like a modern day reboot of Dracula than the Mummy. The Coffin being transported and taking over, the sexualized version of the Monster, Cruise waking up and being a Ghoul?!

Not feeling it at all. Hopefully I'm wrong and it is fun at least, because I'd love another Universal Monster-Verse.

This looks like the worst possible way to reboot this series. The Mummy looks lame. The typical escalation of wreaking havoc in a major modern city is lame. Tom Cruise got special powers to come back to life which is lame. Dr. Jekyl inclusion is lame. Just everything about it looks so bland and lame.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm not really feeling it at all. It looks like a typical Tom Cruise action movie with a Mummy destroying buildings instead of an alien/terrorist. It might be utterly hackneyed by this point but I'd still prefer a Mummy movie to stick with the Indiana Jones style and setting.

It might be similar to Edge of Tomorrow but the idea of Cruise gaining some kind of Mummy powers is the only thing that interests me.

Kinyou

This looks like the worst possible way to reboot this series. The Mummy looks lame. The typical escalation of wreaking havoc in a major modern city is lame. Tom Cruise got special powers to come back to life which is lame. Dr. Jekyl inclusion is lame. Just everything about it looks so bland and lame.
That part is imo the most interesting. Wonder if he'll be like Wolverine and end up getting sliced, crushed etc. for the rest of the movie

jett

D-Member
It looks like another Tom Cruise movie. I think they're blending in at this point. I'll just literally call them Tomcruises by now. I deem this Tomcruise 17.

SilentRob

That Plane CG from the outside was really, really bad. And yeah...just disjointed, big moments without any kind of tension or theme. Bad, bad trailer.

Aesthetically, this gave me Transformers vibes. Not surprising since Alex Kurtzman directs this, but it doesn't fit at all.

Ridley327

This seems like it's trying to mash up some of the more atmospheric horror of the 1932 film and still make it a spectacle like the more recent incarnations, but it doesn't appear to be doing a good job of handling either one. Like jett said, it comes off as looking like any other mediocre Tom Cruise vehicle, and our cups have long runneth over in that department.

Man, I really wish they would have reconfigured this whole cinematic universe idea into being low-to-mid-range straight horror films that they would release with the same regularity that they did back in the 30s. Maybe make some references to one another, but by and large being standalone.

jblank83

Y'all are some jaded folks. This looks awesome!!

Your awesome is someone else's ridiculous and stupid.

Nothing about the aesthetics looks provoking. As others pointed out it looks very safe, very clean. Contrast to the Fraser movie. Then he snap spun through a crashing bus. Implausible is fine in some cases, but this looks like spectacle for spectacle's sake, an endless march of set pieces and explosions, "Transformers-esque", without any thoughtful, establishing, cerebral, atmospheric type shots or any substantive dialog or real reflection by characters, outside the bare necessities, like paper thin romance. IE vapid garbage.

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom