• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Gears of War 4 Beta Gameplay

Thewonandonly

There's a catch though...it's clear indication we are looking at something pre-beta. No shadows, barely any lighting, unfinished/missing textures, place holders, etc, etc. It's going to look betteR.
Well that's good but I honestly would have been fine if it looked like this. I play games to actually play them sure it would be nice if they looked good but that's not what we should fixate on.

RibMan

The gameplay looks almost exactly like Gears 3, which is a positive thing to me. The graphics and animations are definitely early -- it is a beta after all. The logo for the Swarm is ... not good, but again, all of this stuff can change before release.

Trup1aya

Okay. I don't like that the one innovation their touting (and correct me if I'm wrong, but it does seem to be the only one) sounds a lot like a flashy name for a dynamic cover system.

Well look at Halo 5, that's about as good an example as you'll find of a series that innovated as much as possible while still retaining the core of the series. The gameplay straight up didn't feel like traditional Halo. The multiplayer was overhauled in a number of different ways, new to both the series as console FPS in general.

Going from that, to this, which seems incredibly iterative, just seems a bit disappointing to me. Especially since it's been so long, and it's coming form a new developer who are looking to make their mark.

Well, if you want to use 343 as an example, i think the lesson learned is that before any drastic changes are made the dev needs to get an up to date feel for what players want to change, and what they what to remain the same.

Halo4 was in many ways a natural progression of Halo Reach, which was, in hindsight, a pretty dramatic shift from Halo3. A lot of people were unhappy with the changes Bungie made to the sandbox, but they sales didn't neccisarily reflect that (though it was was the first full sized Halo game who's sales didn't seem to grow with the Xbox installed base. It had peaked)

it seems like 343i made a concious concious effort to continue the 'modernization' of Halo that Bungie had initiated after viewing Reach's reception in a positive light. So we got H4.

Fast forward to today, and 343i had learned very clearly what it was that people didn't like about Reach and 4, and they either stayed away from those things or applied a Halo appropriate balancing mechanism to them.

I'd imagine that the Coalition wants to avoid making their version of Halo 4. So they'll make a game that is going to get an updated take on gamers feelings towards the Gears 3 formula. From there, they'll have the data needed to make informed decisions about changes and/or additions.

Hard to tell what's placeholder or tentative since it seems to be alpha footage but I liked what I saw. Looks like Gears 4 should end up being the natural evolution of Gears 3.

Dlacy13g

So many complaining about it being graphically underwhelming...its a true beta per Rod's own words. What did you expect? This is the issue I have with so many "beta's" these days. Companies are releasing "betas" left and right with "special access" for pre-ordering it a month before it goes to retail or they cut some deal to bring this beta to XYZ console first. These betas are nothing more than glorified demos to peddle the game. They are polished near finished builds of the game and because we have seen so many of these come out we as gamers are now trained to think a beta should be some kind of graphical show stopper that runs without any issues. The term beta for me now just means "demo build for preordering" in almost all scenarios save for a few like this that come out way in advance of their release window.

It's funny, i was hoping that Halo would stick to its roots with 343i, and that Gears would take it to the next level. It's turning out the other way around. Looking at this footage reminded me why I felt fatigued with Gears in the first place.

Sad to say, but my hype for a new Gears just deflated. It looks too familiar for me. Glad I'm in the minority, but still...

It's also important to keep in mind that betas are usually older builds because they have to take time to make the beta function and go through certification processes.

The build you see in a few days is older than what the Coalition is working on in-house today.

Besides, graphical polish tends to happen in the months leading up to release.

Edit: also if the rumours are true that this particular piece of footage is alpha footage, that's even earlier than what the beta is.

Ya, that alpha video is rough. Im totally expeting the final game to look much better than that. Hell, even judgement looked amazing and it wasnt even Epic at the time. Its pretty obvious that this is very early unfinished footage.

It's funny, i was hoping that Halo would stick to its roots with 343i, and that Gears would take it to the next level. It's turning out the other way around. Looking at this footage reminded me why I felt fatigued with Gears in the first place.

Sad to say, but my hype for a new Gears just deflated. It looks too familiar for me. Glad I'm in the minority, but still...

I was also tired, but yesterday i played Judgement and im so hypoed for more gears now. That gameplay is some of the best in coop.

Papacheeks

Banned
You know something?

It's known they are having a big push this summer for a more updated beta leading up to release in October. Mainly for server testing.

This is more or less a play test to gauge feed back on things like guns, etc. And to analyze what the netcode is doing while people play in matches.

There will be a more open beta come this summer, and that will probably have more final effects, and be using anyone who downloads t to stress test servers.

Think of it how Halo 5 did there's. They had multiple test's for that game leading up to it's release.

Kibbles

TL;DR

The video in op is early internal alpha footage with no shadows and low textures. Everyone freaked out thinking it was the actual beta.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature...has_verified=1&client=mv-google&layout=mobile

Here is real footage from the actual beta

I haven't seen the OP footage, got taken down, but this looks pretty bad. This game is coming out this fall right?

edit: Oh Beta is out next week, I guess I'll see then.
edit 2: Oh guess not, it's only for people who played Gears Ultimate before April 11th? lol

Trup1aya

Its footage from the Beta tour. So its gameplay from the Beta. This 10 seconds clip from yesterday doesnt prove anything and it was on another map.

The 10 second clip proves that the game has made visual progress since build shown in this video. What does the fact that it's a different map have to do with anything? The lighting, the shadows, the textures, etc, it's all better. Period.

Does anyone have a mirror and the name of the Youtube channel? It's important to me also if you need help with Spanish translations just let me know.

Azerth

It's known they are having a big push this summer for a more updated beta leading up to release in October. Mainly for server testing.

This is more or less a play test to gauge feed back on things like guns, etc. And to analyze what the netcode is doing while people play in matches.

There will be a more open beta come this summer, and that will probably have more final effects, and be using anyone who downloads t to stress test servers.

Think of it how Halo 5 did there's. They had multiple test's for that game leading up to it's release.

halo 5 only had one beta

Papacheeks

Banned
halo 5 only had one beta

To my understanding it had a very closed alpha in 2014. Then a more open beta in 2015.

People who got in on the alpha were under strict NDA's, then the beta came at the end of 2014 and ran for like 2-3 weeks into 2015.

The 10 second clip proves that the game has made visual progress since build shown in this video. What does the fact that it's a different map have to do with anything? The lighting, the shadows, the textures, etc, it's all better. Period.

Again, different maps. You cant compare "progress" on two different maps, with different lighting conditions. textures and theme.

Or maybe severing an IP from it's original developer and just assigning some other team to pump out sequels isn't the best way to go.

Now we have The Coalition just trying to retread all the things Epic did years ago. Leaving them with very little room for actual innovation or new ambitious ideas. People that didn't care about Gears in the past have zero reasons to start caring now. Catering to this ever-shrinking fanbase without trying to evolve the franchise past Epic's legacy is probably going to lead to the same kind of IP fatigue we've seen with Halo.

How long is the campaign and what would you give the game out of 10?

Theorry

I haven't seen the OP footage, got taken down, but this looks pretty bad. This game is coming out this fall right?

edit: Oh Beta is out next week, I guess I'll see then.
edit 2: Oh guess not, it's only for people who played Gears Ultimate before April 11th? lol

Second week is open.
They want to build up the servers.

We aren't doing pre-loads for the beta.

We will be getting early access codes out starting on the 18th. This is very much a real beta and not a marketing demo. We are needing to gradually increase population up to test services and server load so we can't do preloads early on. The beta isn't a huge download.

SwolBro

Banned
Gamers are never happy with what they get.

60 fps, "game looks like shit!"

30 fps, "game looks like shit!"

Surprised anyone wants to make games when your fanbase is so venomous.

possibly the most self-destructing fanbase out there lol.

the gameplay didn't excite me though. i will say that. i know the rest is all incomplete and everything but the core gameplay didn't do much for me. not enough has changed.

Tomash

Judgment entered Live activity chart(number of unique users) at 8th place and dropped out of Top 20 in three months.

I'll list some changes in vanilla Judgment, compared to Gears of War 3:

1) Overrun - completely new gamemode, maps are very elongated and incompatible with regular PvP. Gears of War 3 had total of 15 vanilla + free DLC maps. You could play Versus, Horde and Beast on any of those maps. Month after Gears 3 launched, you could play TDM on 15 maps. In Judgment, only on 5 maps.

2) Maps - maps in Versus are much more vertical and more fit for FFA than team-based gamemodes. You could also jump from ledges, buildings, which was impossible in previous games.

3) No DBNO - they wanted a more fast paced game and less griefing, so they removed Down But Not Out state, which means no exeuctions.

4) Not a single classic gamemode from Gears1/2 - no Warzone, Execution, Guardian, KOTH/Annex,....There were only 4 gamemodes at launch, Overrun, FFA, TDM, Domination.

5) Removed stopping power and active reload bonus

6) 'Center screen aiming', camera bullets - bullets come out of barrel in Gears 2/3

7) Humans vs humans instead of human vs locust - so they can sell armor skins. Weapons skins were already goofy, armor skins like Bee, Skeleton took it to the whole new level.

8) Loadouts - one primary weapon + pistol + grenade of your choice, instead of two primary weapons + pistol + smoke grenade

9) Halo-style grenade throwing, removed grenade planting

10) Hipfire reticle

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Judgment entered Live activity chart(number of unique users) at 8th place and dropped out of Top 20 in three months.

I'll list some changes in vanilla Judgment, compared to Gears of War 3:

1) Overrun - completely new gamemode, maps are very elongated and incompatible with regular PvP. Gears of War 3 had total of 15 vanilla + free DLC maps. You could play Versus, Horde and Beast on any of those maps. Month after Gears 3 launched, you could play TDM on 15 maps. In Judgment, only on 5 maps.

2) Maps - maps in Versus are much more vertical and more fit for FFA than team-based gamemodes. You could also jump from ledges, buildings, which was impossible in previous games.

3) No DBNO - they wanted a more fast paced game and less griefing, so they removed Down But Not Out state, which means no exeuctions.

4) Not a single classic gamemode from Gears1/2 - no Warzone, Execution, Guardian, KOTH/Annex,....There were only 4 gamemodes at launch, Overrun, FFA, TDM, Domination.

5) Removed stopping power and active reload bonus

6) 'Center screen aiming', camera bullets - bullets come out of barrel in Gears 2/3

7) Humans vs humans instead of human vs locust - so they can sell armor skins. Weapons skins were already goofy, armor skins like Bee, Skeleton took it to the whole new level.

8) Loadouts - one primary weapon + pistol + grenade of your choice, instead of two primary weapons + pistol + smoke grenade

9) Halo-style grenade throwing, removed grenade planting

10) Hipfire reticle

there's your "innovation"

give me "bland" Gears any day

People freaking out over the graphics brings back memories of when the first footage of Gears UE leaked and people freaked out cause it didn't look that great. Pretty sure that game turned out looking pretty good.

AlStrong

Can't help but wonder if People Can Fly shouldn't have done a more humourous spin-off involving the Carmines to go along with the various changes.

Gears of War III - The Search for Carmine

Bonus points if they cast Christopher Lloyd as the Locust end-boss.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about anything?

Kyle Bosman is a cool dude
Im excited for Titanfall 2
New Captain America Civil War and Suicide Squad trailers were well made
I got a hair cut yesterday and feel fresh
Ive been knee deep in The Witcher 3 *spoiler* its great
I cant wait for the Overwatch beta

Regardless about the graphics discussion, we will have plenty of footage on Thursday :)

I wonder if there is some kind of customization in this. For Characters or Weapons

krang

Well, if you want to use 343 as an example, i think the lesson learned is that before any drastic changes are made the dev needs to get an up to date feel for what players want to change, and what they what to remain the same.

Halo4 was in many ways a natural progression of Halo Reach, which was, in hindsight, a pretty dramatic shift from Halo3. A lot of people were unhappy with the changes Bungie made to the sandbox, but they sales didn't neccisarily reflect that (though it was was the first full sized Halo game who's sales didn't seem to grow with the Xbox installed base. It had peaked)

it seems like 343i made a concious concious effort to continue the 'modernization' of Halo that Bungie had initiated after viewing Reach's reception in a positive light. So we got H4.

Fast forward to today, and 343i had learned very clearly what it was that people didn't like about Reach and 4, and they either stayed away from those things or applied a Halo appropriate balancing mechanism to them.

I'd imagine that the Coalition wants to avoid making their version of Halo 4. So they'll make a game that is going to get an updated take on gamers feelings towards the Gears 3 formula. From there, they'll have the data needed to make informed decisions about changes and/or additions.

I think 343 benefitted from doing MCC and having to work on old Halo. I imagine The Coalition got the same from GearsU.

Regardless about the graphics discussion, we will have plenty of footage on Thursday :)

I wonder if there is some kind of customization in this. For Characters or Weapons

If their baseline is Gears 3 I would assume there will still be the option to spawn with whatever rifle you want and such, I doubt the double barrel will be coming back. Character customization with little doodads like Reach would be nice as well.

Top Bottom