• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Hitman: Absolution reviews hit

Eideka

Banned
What do they mean by "PC that can run Skyrim smoothly" ?

Edit : oh, minimal settings ? :O

Not concerned about the performance yet. Hopefully patches are on the way, besides were they given a final version ?

I mean Skyrim is not a demanding game at all...If they run the game with the DX11 effects it will sure run like crap. Are they THAT stupid ?

Not concerned about the performance yet. a

Skyrim chugs on my rig (2500k, 560TI), even post-patch, in the busier cities, although it's not normal slowdown, it's more it hangs up when moving through an area for a second or two.

PaulLFC

Sorry but calling out a well known member, saying he's lying gets on my nerves.

At least they could just accept it and move on.
I guess it's hard to believe when they want the game to be good, it'll be up on the site in time though - the magazine itself isn't out until Thursday or Friday (I have a sub so it arrives the weekend before usually), it'll probably be on the site either then or when the embargo lifts.

Are we allowed a photo of the top part of the page (which just says "Hitman Absolution" and "Review" with the sub-heading, no actual review text)? Or would that still count as a scan?

I mean Skyrim is not a demanding game at all...If they run the game with the DX11 effects it will sure run like crap. Are they THAT stupid ?

Not concerned about the performance yet. a

It's strange since PCGames.de had no problems with running this game.

PaulLFC

Edit : oh, minimal settings ? :O

Not concerned about the performance yet. Hopefully patches are on the way, besides were they given a final version ?
The review says it has minute-long load times and can drop to 15fps even on minimal settings. If true, then that's bad whatever way we look at it.

Foffy

Banned
So, Derrick was right, the game SUCKS.

On a more serious note: the German PCGames site gave it a gold award and editor's choice award and they had no problems running this game. Like what the...?

One review and that's enough to determine the game sucks? Come on now, it looks like you're honestly looking for a reason to dislike the game if one negative review after a small series of good reviews is enough to determine a game isn't that good.

One review and that's enough to determine the game sucks? Come on now, it looks like you're honestly looking for a reason to dislike the game if one negative review after a small series of good reviews is enough to determine a game isn't that good.

I was being sarcastic ;)

People care about checkpoints in hitman games? That's a good one, you messed up? restart the level from the top, repeat until you execute them correctly and bask in the awesomeness.

SparkTR

People care about checkpoints in hitman games? That's a good one, you messed up restart the level from the top, repeat until you execute them correctly and bask in the awesomeness.

I had to play Hitman 1 that way due to no mid-level save system, it was a horrible, horrible experience. Losing 50 minutes of gameplay because guard AI glitches and for some reason can see through a closed door or because you messed up a Fibre Wire killed by a split second is never fun.

Maybe it's a lazy PC port after all.

If it were lazy they wouldn't have bothered with the DX11 stuff, the Sniper Challenge ran pretty good on my dated PC so I'm hoping the version PC Gamer reviewed was missing some kind of day one patch that was included with pcgamer.de review copy or something.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Torgo.jpg

the Master would not approve, I mean, Derrick01

I will wait for RPS review as usual, but this doesn't bode well

And can you tell us about the rig in question ?

I'm not asking for scans, just basic information if you can share them.

Bummer :(

Sure:

Minimum:
Core i3-2100/Athlon II X4 640
Geforce GTX 260/Radeon HD 4870
2 GB RAM

Recommended:
Core i5-3570/Phenom II X6 1100T
Geforce 660 Ti/Radeon HD 7870
4 GB RAM

Actually they did not. I'm holding the magazine in my hands right now and can't see anything about what hardware they were using.

If it's the UK one, they talk about their review machines at the start of the review section (or they usually do). They're near but not-quite monsters.

Eideka

Banned
Minimum:
2 GB RAM

Recommended:
4 GB RAM

Thank you very much.

If they were able to run the game perfectly with the recommended rig (maxed out + DX11) then that's a good sign.

Despite all of Absolution's improvements, Hitman still isn't for everyone. The pace remains slower and more methodical than most action games, and you'll find yourself reloading checkpoints countless times, in part because they are frustratingly tied to physical locations. If you take a different approach than what the developer had in mind, you may miss them completely. Attaining the rank of Silent Assassin still requires patience, skill, and more than a little trial and error. But while Hitman is slower than most games, it's also smarter. Devising a strategy to your advantage, and leaving before anyone knows you're there are the hallmarks of a perfect hit, and Absolution proves Agent 47 is still the gaming's premier hitman.

These two statements have brutally murdered my anticipation for this game...preorder cancelled.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Sure:

Minimum:
2 GB RAM

Recommended:
4 GB RAM

Oh wow, for some weird reason i can't find anything about it in my mag o_O

Supports full MSAA, whew. I thought there was only gonna be FXAA

PC only features:

Increased texture resolution,
Increased gesture resolution
Higher shadow Map resolution.
Full mouse and key support
Optimised PC user interface
Optimised for low and high end PCs
Steam works integration including steam cloud saves

Dx 11 only features:

Global illumination
Bokeh
Tesselation
Eyefinity support
HD3D support

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486869

Oh wow, for some weird reason i can't find anything about it in my mag o_O

PC only features:

Increased texture resolution,
Increased gesture resolution
Higher shadow Map resolution.
Full mouse and key support
Optimised PC user interface
Optimised for low and high end PCs
Steam works integration including steam cloud saves

Dx 11 only features:

Global illumination
Bokeh
Tesselation
Eyefinity support
HD3D support

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486869

BZxh9.jpg

I hope this is allowed...

jimi_dini

- No saving, checkpoint system is awful - even an AI glitch can lead to you having to restart the level, also doesn't save data such as disguises or items you've left, and guards killed will respawn
- A lot of gameplay involves you getting to a door to trigger a cutscene
- The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money

New PC Gamer just arrived with a review:

62/100 - A passable stealth game, but one that betrays almost everything that, until now, has made Hitman great.

a0J7x.gif

What did I say? Wait for the PC reviews.

Derrick01
Mr. Accurate
(Today, 03:04 PM)

Why couldn't your tag be Mr. Inaccurate

Derrick01

Banned
But you ignored the first PC review by German PC Games.

I've never heard of them. I have heard of PC Gamer and RPS and a few other big ones. I'm not going to acknowledge the hundreds of obscure foreign/domestic sites that get posted during every big game's review cycle whether they're positive or negative.

jimi_dini said:
Why couldn't your tag be Mr. Inaccurate

That would require me being wrong ;)

I find this a bit strange

- PC performance was awful, they tried out on 3 different PCs - two can run Skyrim smoothly yet get 15fps in Hitman on minimal settings, with occasional freezes of over a second, and load times of over a minute

15 fps isn't really playable, how can they give an accurate review if it runs that bad? And according to that PC presentation video it should be optimized and playable at 60 fps. Were they given a review copy with crappy code or what?

derFeef

I've never heard of them. I have heard of PC Gamer and RPS and a few other big ones. I'm not going to acknowledge the hundreds of obscure foreign/domestic sites that get posted during every big game's review cycle whether they're positive or negative.

That somehow clashes with your post "wait for PC reviews" since it also was a PC review, by the biggest PC magazine in Germany. Your standpoint seems a bit weird on that one.

miksar

That somehow clashes with your post "wait for PC reviews" since it also was a PC review, by the biggest PC magazine in Germany. Your standpoint seems a bit weird on that one.
His standpoint seems very simple: only pay attention to reputable magazines (in this case - PC magazines, because it is a Hitman game).

Dilly

Banned
Why the hell do guards respawn?

Oh well, I'm replaying Blood Money and it's such an excellent game. The sandbox levels allow for so much variaty in play styles that it's fun to replay the game.

I'm not going to acknowledge the hundreds of obscure foreign/domestic sites that get posted during every big game's review cycle whether they're positive or negative.

It's because it's a german mag right? Why should one care about one of the biggest magazines of a country that is the last big pc-centric full retail market.

:(

Kade

Has this ever happened before with reviews? Such huge differences? I mean going from 9s and high 8s to a low 6 is quite something.

It happens with every game. The only games in recent memory that I remember getting uniform reviews are the Super Mario Galaxy games and Red Dead Redemption.

derFeef

DerZuhälter;44187449 said:
It's because it's a german mag right? Why should one care about one of the biggest magazines of a country that is the last big pc-centric full retail market.

Seriously, makes no sense.

edit. V
Then you just worded it wrong.

Derrick01

Banned

It's pretty easy to understand. When you say wait for reviews do you mean every single outlet or the more well known and/or reputable ones? If they're germany's site then good for them, I don't know them so I don't trust them.

As for PC gamer, they're reputable as long as it's not a Bioware game they're reviewing. But I still say wait for RPS. They will be the voice of truth no matter what the verdict is. Though I expect the same level of denial we're getting now if it comes out scathing.

DerZuhälter;44187449 said:

Their tests are awesome. Very detailed. It's a great website. And a 8 page review says it all. They tested this game thoroughly.

jimi_dini

Their tests are awesome. Very detailed. It's a great website. And a 8 page review says it all. They tested this game thoroughly.

At least their website calls Hitman: Absolution an "action game".

http://www.pcgames.de/Hitman-5-Absolution-PC-230791/

Am 20. November startet Hitman: Absolution - und den Deutschlandweit ersten Test der PC-Version gibt es jetzt in der neuen PC Games 11/12. Wir haben das Action-Spiel von IO Interactive genau unter die Lupe genommen und prüfen, ob der neue Contracts-Modus für die erhoffte Langzeitmotivation sorgt.

Top Bottom