• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Independence Day: Resurgance reviews (RT: 33%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Empire gives it 4 stars.

Empire are a total joke when it comes to reviewing big studio films. They are totally beholden to big studio PR and never give a bad review to a film that has prominently been featured in the magazine.

The joke used to be that the 'real' review would be when the film in question hits home video. It's been this way since the 90's.

Saw it tonight and it's ridiculously awful. Things just happen for no reason. Events happen, people are introduces, with no explanation at all. At a certain point I just took my glasses off it was such a mess. The movie got better after that.

This weirdly makes me want to see this film now.

As much as I don't like the late Will Smith and his ego (Does he really think he is worth <30 Million?) This franchise was built o his name and Liam Hemsworth is such a downgrade compared to Will.

It wasn't about "ego". He flat out didn't want to do it, so he asked for a ridiculous amount he knew he almost certainly wouldn't get, but would be willing to take if for whatever reason they accepted.

HotHamBoy

I used to loooooove the first movie as a kid. Begged my parents to take me. Watched it too many times.

Then I saw it as an adult. What a total piece of shit. Kids are fucking stupid.

Astral Dog

that's way higher than expected based off other whisperings and the early release day press screening. i have no doubt it'll do well at the box office (and not as good as the original because I see The Purge taking over for a while when it releases) but its longevity and reviews will suffer a lot, i'm guessing.
Is The Purge good? Im surprised it good popular to replace ID releasing two weeks after

Onemic

IGN's reviews are often way off from the critical consensus, I've noticed.

Not that we can know if that will be the case here, just an observation.

Yup, they're pretty much one of the worst movie critics out there. They often give high ratings to movies that get absolutely eviscerated by critics.

Looking forward to it. Too bad the quality soundtrack didn't carry over in some form though. Someone messed up big time with that.

Jonbo298

Either it's a scummy "Good enough reviews only" press event or they got into the premiere in LA last night.

Big, dumb, fun is the only 3 words I wanted to hear for this. In line with my expectations from Roland Emmerich.

NR1

See, I really think the industry insiders and box office predictors are really selling this movie short. I think it's performance is really going to shock them, which honestly, shouldn't.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's called having connections, Bobby.
Q4h882T.jpg

Geist-

My standards aren't high and for me it was Goodblum that made or broke the first one, so as long as it's just as good as the first I'll call that a success.

Can't wait to see it.

I think all need is enthusiast press reviews for this one. They are probably looking for exactly what I am looking to get out of this. Sounds good. I am worried Liam Hemsworth is going to be an issue though.

It's called having connections, Bobby.

f6958b9a1a8689b8b5f003b24671e62a.jpg

OH SHIT

The premiere was yesterday.

Oh, wait, so that's it. Thanks K-Swiss!

IGN having connections. You motherfuckers are fun sometimes.

As much as I don't like the late Will Smith and his ego (Does he really think he is worth <30 Million?) This franchise was built on his name and Liam Hemsworth is such a downgrade compared to Will.

No, it wasn't. Plus it's not even a franchise. This is the first substantial thing to follow the first film since the first film.

I was at a bookstore a few days ago and they were selling an Independence Day omnibus that featured the original novel (based on the film) and two short stories written post-film.

Everything has an omnibus these days.

faridmon

Guardian sluaghred the movie outright. Damn

1/5

Not even Jeff Goldblum and Charlotte Gainsbourg stationed on a militarised moon can save us from the joyless tedium of this mind-crushing movie

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...iew-sequel-jeff-goldblum-charlotte-gainsbourg

[

No, it wasn't. Plus it's not even a franchise. This is the first substantial thing to follow the first film since the first film.

Yes it was and its a franchise now.

Yes it was and its a franchise now.

No, it's a sequel. Sequel/Franchise are not interchangeable terms. This sequel isn't even guaranteed to be that much of a financial success. Certainly not one strong enough to spin off multiple movies/TV shows/comics/novels/cartoons/what-have-you. If that happens, then you got a franchise. Right now, what you have is a 20-yrs later sequel hoping to land hard enough to become the franchise everyone involved at the studio is hoping for.

And Independence Day helped make Will Smith. You got it backwards. That movie helped him make the leap to A-list, but it didn't blow up because of him.

It blew up because people saw the White House fucking explode during the Super Bowl.

SURGEdude

I used to loooooove the first movie as a kid. Begged my parents to take me. Watched it too many times.

Then I saw it as an adult. What a total piece of shit. Kids are fucking stupid.

Same here. Loved it as a kid until a rewatch about 5 years ago. I never realized as a kid just how boring it was. With many of the effects looking dated, it's hard to ignore the phoned in acting and writing.

But I'll give the new one a chance on the hope that they realize special effects no longer can carry most films.

Original ID4 spoiler:

How is Spiner's character
alive in this one? Didn't get a real front-and-center death in the original?

It's now ret-conned as a coma (that's officially canon now). I suppose they can reason that something about the alien speaking through him caused a lower than normal heart rate after the sudden disconnect. So, when that Air Force guy went to check his pulse, he assumed he was dead. I dunno.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They honestly should have thrown even more money at Will Smith.

This movie desperately needed him. I've seen it, and it's no where near as good as the first BUT if Will Smith was in it, it would have made the movie a lot better.

I'm still shaking my head at how 20th Century Fox thought replacing Will Smith with such a wooden and bland actor like Liam Hemsworth was a good idea.

Wait until you see it, and you will know exactly what I mean...his so-called acting is such a distraction, and there's a reason why this guy has only ever been a supporting actor, and that's because he simply isn't a movie star and doesn't have any screen presence.

Nah, you gotta save Big Willie for the end of the trilogy. He's gotta be living all Dutch style on the Alien planet.

Rembrandt

Banned
Is The Purge good? Im surprised it good popular to replace ID releasing two weeks after

the second one was better than the first and the third one looks great. it's only coming out a week later (24 for ID2 and 1st for Election Year) and I figured they would be fighting for that weekend and Monday. The Purge is gonna kill it.

Arkeband

Banned
I watched ID4:1 earlier this month with my wife and the only thing that really didn't hold up was the plot revolving around "hacking" the aliens.

Foiled by WiFi!

Variety gave it a good review.

Variety said:
Even if its storytelling occasionally tests patience, however, “Independence Day: Resurgence” delivers swiftly and generously when it comes to the goods most viewers will have come for — the time-honored joys of blowing stuff up, in set pieces that escalate dizzyingly in size and context. Whether visualizing a swarm of fly-like fighter jets peppering a gurning alien queen with fluorescent artillery, or a blazing East Asian freeway giving up its grip on gravity, Emmerich has a natural showman’s command of his script’s most dumbly fantastical demands; he may know no restraint, but he also knows where no restraint is required of him. Landing just six months after the well-intentioned dramatic flub of “Stonewall,” the aptly named “Resurgence” is nothing if not a reminder of where his gaudy sensibility is best accommodated.

Most crucially of all, Emmerich has a classicist’s appreciation of tactility and scale: He’s the DeMille of global destruction. Where many of today’s superhero epics bear a plasticky digital finish that diminishes their on-screen heroism, there’s something genuinely, boomingly imposing about “Resurgence’s” largest visual coups — dreamed up by as many as nine of the industry’s top effects houses, typical of the film’s no-expense-spared immoderation.

strafer

kinda feel sorry for the people who expected good reviews, it's a summer blockbuster...it's not going to win any oscars or win over the critics.

this is just a movie you drag self

Blader

kinda feel sorry for the people who expected good reviews, it's a summer blockbuster...it's not going to win any oscars or win over the critics.

....there are many many summer blockbusters that get great reviews.

I think it's the opposite. I think most people were expected bad reviews. But if the 55% RT score stays the same, that's roughly in the same neighborhood as the original (61%). I do think the score will go lower. There's currently only 11 posted reviews and only 2 of them are from "top critics" (though both reviews are positive). Despite that, the reviews are much better than I expected. I was going to see the movie regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom