• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First list of Xbox One backward compatibility games revealed

rezn0r

There's not much on there that I will play (and I do have a ton of those games), but I still think it's a pretty decent initial list. Hopefully they keep up the quantity.

Tsukumo

Basically the same deal we got with the "backward compatibility" of Xbox 360 and the original Xbox. Sadness.
I mean, better to have some games than nothing at all, but this feature the way it is now won't do much to pull people towards the Xbone. Which I thought was the reason why Spencer bothered with this at all.
I think this will actually work against them if it comes next E3 and all they have to show for a year of "backward compatibility program" is a bunch of XBL arcade titles.

shanafan

Why even bother without Red Dead Redemption. Why even have BC. Why even get out of bed this morning. Maybe I won't.

Well, I think the majority would disagree that one game is the only deciding factor to have BC. And besides, who know what Rockstar is planning. They would be doing a RDR remaster, and don't want to see RDR be a BC title. It's the decision of the publisher.

No NCAA 14? For shame, Microsoft.

It is up the publisher. It is not a sole decision by Microsoft. There is a huge legal battle over that license in the courts, and that could be a deciding factor why the publisher declined.

Ban Puncher

ZCsxoDA.jpg

krang

If nothing else this list has reminded me I need to grab GoWU soon so I get the others as digital BC titles.

Synth

Gotta wait for that E3 announcement OR Read Dead 3 is going to get announced with RDR for anyone who pre orders

This is honestly what I'm most worried about. That some games will be held off until there's a marketing reason for their inclusion. That or we get controlled releases like Nintendo's VC, in order for the games to have more exposure during the window they're added.

104 games is so close to 100, that it comes across as deliberate selection. It's probably just Rare Replay that caused it to not be 100 games exact.

carl32

Banned
Would be nice if we could download the demos of the games.
I was hoping for Res 4 but my son will love Lego star wars as he wanted me to keep the 360 for that.

Meh, I knew I was right to not get excited for the initial bunch.

South Park is awesome as I'm still to play it but that's about it. Nice to have access to Monster World on Xbox One I guess.

Happy to hear about Black Ops coming too but I can't believe they'd bother to launch without Red Dead Redemption. The one game they knew everyone was pinning for on every wishlist lol.

My personal top one Dark Souls is no where to be found either. :( Annnd the 360 continues to be hooked up for the indefinite future still.

8bit

Knows the Score
Disappointed to not see Rez here, but Ikaruga, Pac-Man CE:DX & Lumines is at least some consolation.

jackdoe

Disappointed with the current list, but at least Halo Reach and Halo Wars is coming. Hopefully they perform better than Halo 2 did on the 360.

shanafan

Meh, I knew I was right to not get excited for the initial bunch.

South Park is awesome as I'm still to play it but that's about it. Nice to have access to Monster World on Xbox One I guess.

Happy to hear about Black Ops coming too but I can't believe they'd bother to launch without Red Dead Redemption. The one game they knew everyone was pinning for on every wishlist lol.

My personal top one Dark Souls is no where to be found either. :( Annnd the 360 continues to be hooked up for the indefinite future still.

Maybe Rockstar is doing a remaster and they declined on the BC with Xbox One.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thank you for not being all the big, samey retail titles. Very glad to see some support of Treasure games (Ikaruga) Mages. / 5pb (WoOT Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds!) and SNKP (Metal Slugs!) right from the getgo, and basically all the Sega Collection games, + one that MIGHT have been delisted (Wasn't the original Golden Axe Delisted when the Golden Axe collection released?) If this revives some Monday Night Combat, I might not mind jumping back into that for a while, either...

Also Glad to see Rtype Dimensions and Lode Runner make it too, I never got to dive into Lode Runner as much as I'd have liked.

The negative-as-hell replies all throughout the thread were setting me up to see much, much less of interest to me there. I know the Niche titles I love are easily skippable in the public eye, and it's those titles I worry most about. But I love seeing such support for a wider variety of titles, and that gives me more hope that we'll get games from every level of interest and popularity, rather than just the big names by the obvious western companies.

Z_Y

My OCD is flaring up.

Only AssCreed 2? Only Fable 2? Only two Lego games? Jesus, man. What are they trying to do to me? I'm going to have to hide these from the "ready to install" tab until they get it sorted out.

Pretty bummed about this initial list given the hype surrounding it. But BLOPs coming soon is big news to me. Now...how about an Activision sale....

Basically the same deal we got with the "backward compatibility" of Xbox 360 and the original Xbox. Sadness.
I mean, better to have some games than nothing at all, but this feature the way it is now won't do much to pull people towards the Xbone. Which I thought was the reason why Spencer bothered with this at all.
I think this will actually work against them if it comes next E3 and all they have to show for a year of "backward compatibility program" is a bunch of XBL arcade titles.
You don't know what the fuck they may have for this next year lol. Just stop now with your assumptions.

Synth

Pretty disappointing, but it's what we expected, right? Are there any surprises on here?

Actually yes. I'm kinda surprised with some of the games not listed. Specifically stuff like Halo Reach (though we know that's on the way at some point), and any Forza titles.

If you meant specifically surprise inclusions. Then NiGHTS is a pleasant surprise.

zero86r

Some titles I'm happy to see on the list, its a start I guess.

Could it be possible they're holding back some of the more desired titles in order to announce them as games with gold entries at a later date?

carl32

Banned
Would be nice if we could download the demos of the games.
I was hoping for Res 4 but my son will love Lego star wars as he wanted me to the 360 for that.

Now that Torchlight is going to be a BC title how about putting the game on sale MS?

As for the rest of the list it's good to see BG&E HD and PoP08 hit the ground running but it is disappointing to not have the Halo games until December. At least there are some games on the list that I own but never got around to playing like Condemned and Fable II.

Petrae

No NCAA 14? For shame, Microsoft.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an NCAA game making the backwards compatibility list, given the legal situation.

I'm actually shocked that a licensed sports game made the list at all, even though it's just an XBLA game. Are the NBA and its Players Association getting more money from MS/EA?

Well, I think the majority would disagree that one game is the only deciding factor to have BC. And besides, who know what Rockstar is planning. They would be doing a RDR remaster, and don't want to see RDR be a BC title. It's the decision of the publisher.

While I am a holdout for RDR, my post was a joke. I feel like people have been taking all of my posts lately at face value and my attempts at irony or humor are just totally lost.

I guess I'm just not funny and people can only assume I'm being completely serious when I say I'm not getting out of bed because a video game I like isn't on a list I read. I actually am very troubled that people might assume the latter rather than think I'm joking.

:|

watership

Its really sad that these are the only games that will ever be backwards compatible. Since MS is locking down the project after thursday.. oh wait. they're not? More games are coming each month? Y'all a bunch of drama queens.

NavNucST3

This is pretty good list for my household; if I counted correctly I own 54 of those games which will definitely help build out the "Family Friendly" number of titles for Xbox One especially with a bunch of the titles having local co-op.

But personally, I'm just going to jump straight into Condemned and Lumines (assuming I finish Mass Effect again in a timely manner before Halo Wars hits).

It's a start. I'm encouraged by the large Sega presence on the list; hopefully VOOT, VF5, and Vanquish will make their way to the system with time. Daytona, Afterburner, and Outrun would be nice, but who knows if any delisted games will ever come back.

I need to get a larger external hard drive.

Hasney

Well, there it is. What a Week.

Real shame that I only wanted 2 games in a Burnout and a Skate game and got neither.

Actually yes. I'm kinda surprised with some of the games not listed. Specifically stuff like Halo Reach (though we know that's on the way at some point), and any Forza titles.

If you meant specifically surprise inclusions. Then NiGHTS is a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, it's a different list than I thought, but just equally as uninteresting to me as the "leaked" one. I'm surprised to see stuff like Supreme Commander 2 on there. Kinda neat, but I don't see the point.

IvanJ

Banned
I am sorta....undecided. Some good games, but then some arcade fluff few people bothered with even back when they were brand new. I couldn't force myself to finish some of them the first time, doubt I'd want to repeat the experience.
Here's hoping for more big titles down the road.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Really surprised they're not coming out the gate with more major retail titles.

I'm happy at all the Arcade support, though. That stuff would be really easy for them to just leave to last gen and quietly delist as everyone forgets about 'em, and there's no physical media release to fall back on as a plan B. Keeping those games present and active on new consoles is the best defense against that.

Vegito

Banned
There are any number of reasons why RDR isnt on the list. Im sure it will be there eventually. The big surprise is the black ops announcement. I wonder how long it took to convince activision? Gotta give Spencer credit for that one. The GOW trilogy is nice. thats probaly the big kahuna of the list.

Fable 2 is kinda random lol. Its just there . Same with Mass Effect. Very random to not include the other games of the series.

Top Bottom