• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Modern Warfare 2 Footage on TV today

Dead Man

Tomcat said:
cod is all about the multiplayer :p
So make it MP only. If they are going to have a SP mode, it should be as good as possible, not an afterthought. Which is not to say it will be bad, just that a good MP does not excuse a crappy SP, to me at least.

MarkMacD

Agree snow scenes look meh; the rest of it, though--def enough to get me excited.

BTW, the underwater part after the sub remind anyone of the tubes the Tube Worms that guarded the heavy water lived in, in the original GI Joe series? ...

...Anyone? :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The problem is the game's single player mechanics have not changed since the original Call of Duty. Infinity Ward work on a script based gameplay system and it does the job to the extent of what it's supposed to do.

As for graphics debate I don't really care. The beauty in their games for me is the multiplayer and the last thing I'm going to be doing is counting texture shades or pondering on explosion dynamics in the middle of a firefight.

Odrion

Banned
Anyone bitching about COD4's singleplayer should play it on veteran, then you'll realize how well crafted it is. The thing about IW and the COD4 engine is that IW knows how to direct the fucking hell out of a game. Yeah, it's scripted, but it's scripted very well. It looks good not because the engine is pushing graphical features that do the work for them at the cost of resources, it's because IW knows how to paint an environment. It plays good because IW knows how to use the simple AI and get them to interact with the player that goes beyond what you normally expect, turning it into something more like Contra. I remember being frustrated at the solo bunker section until I figured out what the enemies were doing, then it clicked.

if you did play the game on veteran and still didn't like it why the fuck are you investing that amount of effort in a game you don't like shouldn't you go use that time to pick up chicks ffs

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Odrion said:
Anyone bitching about COD4's singleplayer should play it on veteran, then you'll realize how well crafted it is. The thing about IW and the COD4 engine is that IW knows how to direct the fucking hell out of a game. Yeah, it's scripted, but it's scripted very well. It looks good because IW knows how to paint an environment, it plays good because IW knows how to use the simple AI and get them to interact with the player that goes beyond what you normally expect.

if you did play the game on veteran and still didn't like it why the fuck are you investing that amount of effort in a game you don't like shouldn't you go use that time to pick up chicks ffs

Veteran i think showed the holes in the SP design i think.

eshwaaz

MarkMacD said:
BTW, the underwater part after the sub remind anyone of the tubes the Tube Worms that guarded the heavy water lived in, in the original GI Joe series? ...

The fact that I thought exactly the same thing is scary.

And somewhat embarrassing.

And also awesome, somehow.

Dead Man

Odrion said:
you sould read through that again, but yeah
Just jokes man, I understand what you mean, but a literal reading implies just what I said. And as others have said, Veteran to me really brings out the flaws in the game.

Dead Man

Odrion said:
i don't get it. you said it was perfect and i agreed, it is perfect. what's the joke?
Sorry, my tone didn't convey very well. I was just saying that if you read your statement a certain way, that's what you would get out of it. I didn't mean to say that I personally thought it was perfect, sorry if it wasn't clear.

Odrion said:
i don't get it. you said it was perfect and i agreed, it is perfect. what's the joke?

thats_the_joke.jpg

mcbain_silly.jpg

idahoblue said:
So make it MP only. If they are going to have a SP mode, it should be as good as possible, not an afterthought. Which is not to say it will be bad, just that a good MP does not excuse a crappy SP, to me at least.
SP is no afterthought, it's a good tutorial, not too long, with a lot of production values and a decent story. It doesn't have the best gameplay on its own (archaic might be a good term) but you have to remember it is a glorified tutorial for MP, much like an RTS game.

Odrion

Banned
archaic is the wrong term, i would like to call it classical

also outside of controls the mechanics between SP and MP are pretty dissimilar so i wouldn't call it a glorified tutorial

I really hope they step up in the sound department...Nothing aggravates me more in a shooter than shitty gun sounds. SOCOM: Confrontation, Battlefield: BC, Killzone 2, MGS4 hell even BLACK have awesome sounding weapons.....In COD when I fire a .357 Magnum, or Desert Eagle it should sound like it's counterpart not like a $2 pop cap gun.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
speedpop said:
The problem is the game's single player mechanics have not changed since the original Call of Duty. Infinity Ward work on a script based gameplay system and it does the job to the extent of what it's supposed to do.

moh:allied assault, actually.

FartOfWar

Banned
MarkMacD said:
Agree snow scenes look meh; the rest of it, though--def enough to get me excited.

Heavy Water, original GI Joe miniseries...hahahahahahah.

J-Rzez

idahoblue said:

And if they were going to make it MP only, they'd have to add a hell of a lot more depth to it for me. It's going to be tuff on them as is this time. Last time they had a free run basically at that online mp stuff. This time though, they're going to have some ultra-tuff competition probably around near the same time of release too (not sales wise obviously, but gameplay itself). So at the very least, SP will be a bullet point for some shooter fans.

EazyB

Banned
J-Rzez said:
And if they were going to make it MP only, they'd have to add a hell of a lot more depth to it for me. It's going to be tuff on them as is this time. Last time they had a free run basically at that online mp stuff. This time though, they're going to have some ultra-tuff competition probably around near the same time of release too (not sales wise obviously, but gameplay itself). So at the very least, SP will be a bullet point for some shooter fans.
It had Halo and Gears on the 360 side. And I can't think of a single MP franchise as remotely popular as CoD4 on the PS3. It seems like CoD4 had more competition than CoD6 does.

I'm honestly surprised with the amount of CoD4 campaign hate here. Maybe it was because I only played through it on normal difficulty and knew better than to play through a highly scripted game more than once. Intend to do the same with CoD6 unless it has compelling co-op.

Dyno

The SP in COD4 was good enough for me. There were lots of 'wow!' moments and a great variety of settings. Whenever multiplayer wasn't working I would enjoy the Arcade Mode instead, which made for a neat, new way to do the levels.

Multiplayer-wise I don't think the game has been beat. While Killzone 2 is excellent in its own way I like the way MW plays and I love the Death Cam.

Red

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Veteran i think showed the holes in the SP design i think.
Yeah, veteran in CoD4 was pretty shit, I thought. If it weren't for infinitely respawning terrorists it could have been a much better experience.

The "oh shit" moments were still there, but it felt like a game based on luck and not skill. Most of the time it felt like the game was cheating you, the whole thing full of cheap deaths.

J-Rzez

EazyB said:
It had Halo and Gears on the 360 side. And I can't think of a single MP franchise as remotely popular as CoD4 on the PS3. It seems like CoD4 had more competition than CoD6 does.

No other "near current day" shooter out there at that moment. And even if not including that like I meant, H3 was released about 2months before it, and with it disappointing many people, naturally a mass of people flocked to a much better game which was CoD4.

This time though, they have some stiff competition. A really ambitious title that may set a new bar for console, and possibly pc shooters (based on the depth of gameplay, and if it delivers as promised), and it's also a "near current day" shooter as well. I know lots of people that were just sick of WWII and future wizbangery guns, and prefer "modern warefare" to them. That number was pretty shockingly large to me even how many people I know that prefer it.

guise

Teaser got me hyped.

I can't believe people are already knocking the CoD4 visuals - they were incredible. And this is infinity ward - sure they do need to learn a thing or 2 about non-linearity in campaigns but they are one of the few higher tier developers in my view, and the CoD4 engine was amazing

I can remember the exact same thing happening with the CoD4 teaser - people freeze-framing it and then complaining about low polygon dog models :lol

This truly is NeoGaf, dude.

EazyB

Banned
J-Rzez said:
No other "near current day" shooter out there at that moment. And even if not including that like I meant, H3 was released about 2months before it, and with it disappointing many people, naturally a mass of people flocked to a much better game which was CoD4.
:lol Whatever dude

And there were already iterations of Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six by the time the game hit. Both of those franchises being comparable to CoD before 4 shipped.

J-Rzez said:
This time though, they have some stiff competition. A really ambitious title that may set a new bar for console, and possibly pc shooters (based on the depth of gameplay, and if it delivers as promised), and it's also a "near current day" shooter as well. I know lots of people that were just sick of WWII and future wizbangery guns, and prefer "modern warefare" to them. That number was pretty shockingly large to me even how many people I know that prefer it.
I don't understand why you're being so vague. What's this bar raising title you're talking about? I hope to God it's not supposed to be Massive Action Game. Even then the 360, where the brunt of the game's 14 million were sold, doesn't have anything this fall that can stand up to CoD.

J-Rzez

EazyB said:
:lol Whatever dude

I don't understand why you're being so vague. What's this bar raising title you're talking about? I hope to God it's not supposed to be Massive Action Game. Even then the 360, where the brunt of the game's 14 million were sold, doesn't have anything this fall that can stand up to CoD.

Of course MAG is going to be competition outside of sale-age. IF they pull off what they're striving for, which sounds like an endless nocturnal emission for shooter fans, it can raise the bar. Sales age again, no way. Gameplay/quality wise, it absolutely can become king. And Zipper Int are not scrubs in any way. As long as they don't pull a Slant 6 and release a broken game, and lives up to it's promises, it's going to turn heads.

ODST may stand up to MW2 sales wise. Who knows, maybe they improved the gameplay and it'll stand toe to toe now as well. We don't really know what else MS has in the works as they haven't really shown anything for the end of the year.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
stuburns said:
Modern Warefare: Nuclear Fallout, by Treyarch, coming soon.

That would be awesome just for the lulz.

Anyway the preview during the game last night was awesome, took me a second to realize it was cod4-2.

I know the game's graphics get lots of hate around here but to people that dont post on message boards cod looks amazing. 60 fps is nice too

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wait, so they're seriously ditching the Call of Duty title in this game? :lol :lol :lol

It may not make any sense, but it's a well known brand, where as 'Modern Warfare' is the most generic name for an action game ever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
cjelly said:
Wait, so they're seriously ditching the Call of Duty title in this game? :lol :lol :lol

It may not make any sense, but it's a well known brand, where as 'Modern Warfare' is the most generic name for an action game ever.
WAR GAME 2

Nizz

I still think COD4 has some of the best graphics out there. Plus, there's something about seeing it move at 60fps that's sweet to my eyes. Whatever IW have to do to keep the game at that framerate is fine by me.

Plus, IW have worked with this engine for a while I'm assuming? Pretty sure they'll squeeze some surprises graphically out of it.

Dubbedinenglish said:
I really hope they step up in the sound department...Nothing aggravates me more in a shooter than shitty gun sounds. SOCOM: Confrontation, Battlefield: BC, Killzone 2, MGS4 hell even BLACK have awesome sounding weapons.....In COD when I fire a .357 Magnum, or Desert Eagle it should sound like it's counterpart not like a $2 pop cap gun.

I've been playing Battlefield:BC multi for the past two weeks, and that game has some of (if not the best) sound in an fps I've ever heard. I don't think the sound is bad in COD, but if they could step it up a bit with sound comparable to Battlefield: BC or Killzone 2? Wooo!

I can't wait till MW2 is out. :D

Arnie

J-Rzez said:
ODST may stand up to MW2 sales wise. Who knows, maybe they improved the gameplay and it'll stand toe to toe now as well. We don't really know what else MS has in the works as they haven't really shown anything for the end of the year.
Being a Zipper fan i thought you enjoyed multiplayer shooters that require skill? My bad.

J-Rzez

Arnie said:
Being a Zipper fan i thought you enjoyed multiplayer shooters that require skill? My bad.

I enjoy "most" shooters, but there's very few that hold my attention. Halo was fun to mess around with here and there, but that's about it as it's the water wings for starting off shooter fans in the console segment. CoD4 required more skill than H3, and was quicker, but I wouldn't say it was definitely skill based. Especially not with the extremely copious amounts of aim assist in the game. The old SOCOMs though, for console shooters, was where it was at for skill and smarts based action. Great stuff. No other console shooter held my attention due to challenge like them.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Odrion said:
archaic is the wrong term, i would like to call it classical

also outside of controls the mechanics between SP and MP are pretty dissimilar so i wouldn't call it a glorified tutorial

I think you mean "classic".

And as someone who beat the game on Veteran, (except for two earlier levels that wont load 'cause my disc is scratched), I think the single player is awful. The lower difficulties are too easy, and Veteran is just cheap. Infinity Ward tries to cover up their garbage AI with bullshit grenades and respawning enemies. I beat it because... it's like a zen exercise in overcoming frustration. And the set pieces and epic, action movie feel were pretty enjoyable.

Top Bottom