• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Modern Warfare 2 Footage on TV today

Arnie

J-Rzez said:
I enjoy "most" shooters, but there's very few that hold my attention. Halo was fun to mess around with here and there, but that's about it as it's the water wings for starting off shooter fans in the console segment. CoD4 required more skill than H3, and was quicker, but I wouldn't say it was definitely skill based. Especially not with the extremely copious amounts of aim assist in the game. The old SOCOMs though, for console shooters, was where it was at for skill and smarts based action. Great stuff. No other console shooter held my attention due to challenge like them.
I agree to an extent, I feel MW had far to much aim assist when zooming in. For me H3's gameplay is perfect as there is so much skill needed in a br fight that i feel much more rewarded after a kill. This also goes for the fire fights in SOCOM as it takes real precision to hit an opponent, a precision I felt MW lacked.

Kuroyume

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I enjoy "most" shooters, but there's very few that hold my attention. Halo was fun to mess around with here and there, but that's about it as it's the water wings for starting off shooter fans in the console segment. CoD4 required more skill than H3, and was quicker, but I wouldn't say it was definitely skill based. Especially not with the extremely copious amounts of aim assist in the game. The old SOCOMs though, for console shooters, was where it was at for skill and smarts based action. Great stuff. No other console shooter held my attention due to challenge like them.

I don't want to get into the "skill vs no skill" argument because it's stupid and I play games for fun, but a game where the game does the killing for you is not one that requires much skill.

Ramenman

Y2Kev said:
I can't believe they are really dropping the CoD name.

So that's what this "Modern Warfare 2" was all along... :lol

I feel stupid that it didn't ring a bell.
No I don't care about CoD or FPSes in general, which is why I didn't look any further than reading the game's name on GAF when it was revealed

But maybe it means Average Joe won't understand either. If he calls the first game CoD4, you can bet it wont :O

MickeyKnox said:
It was the same game I played back in 2002, then again in '03 and again in '04 and again in '05.

There is no redeeming aspect to the design of that game's single player, hell for as "good" as the MP was it still wasn't nearly as good as United Offensive which I maintain is the peak of the CoD franchise.

I agree with this so hard. United Offensive is the best CoD (which says a lot for an expansion) i've ever played. That game had me near tears in parts.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Arnie said:
I agree to an extent, I feel MW had far to much aim assist when zooming in. For me H3's gameplay is perfect as there is so much skill needed in a br fight that i feel much more rewarded after a kill. This also goes for the fire fights in SOCOM as it takes real precision to hit an opponent, a precision I felt MW lacked.

My issue with MW is that it's (imo) a twitch shooter. There isn't any real weight to the movement and aiming... I fucking suck at CoD4, but I'm really good at games like Battlefiled/Ghost Recon/Socom.

MW just isn't my style. My nephew is one of the top players on CoD4 Game Battles and every time I watch him I'm like... "Dude, how the fuck... are you doing that!?"

And I taught him how to play shooters!

I could never compete with those kids, and it's not because of aim assist or anything... people at the top of the leader boards are such fast players, I think to the point aim assist isn't even an issue -- they are too fast.

Pretty amazing to watch. I chalk it up to him enjoying that style of fast paced, twitch shooting, while I appreciate a more realistic paced shooter. And, like you, I agree that kills in games like Socom feel much more rewarding.

Ramenman said:
So that's what this "Modern Warfare 2" was all along... :lol

I feel stupid that it didn't ring a bell.
No I don't care about CoD or FPSes in general, which is why I didn't look any further than reading the game's name on GAF when it was revealed

But maybe it means Average Joe won't understand either. If he calls the first game CoD4, you can bet it wont :O

I'm sure the boxart would say "The true sequel to the GOTY, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare"

J-Rzez

Arnie said:

I understand why they put so much autoaim in CoD4, so almost everyone could be successful at it, but I think it was over the top at times. Nothing like watching someone with a M60 sniping domes off of people nearly across the map with iron sights, especially when the sniper had to work a little harder for the kill compared to that heh.

I just hope for MW2, that they maybe put in a mode where it's balls to the wall, zero autoaim, or at least it getting vastly toned down, maybe adjust the accuracy for some weapons too. That would be awesome to me.

we’ve been really excited to reveal this one, so here it is: Modern Warfare 2. We’ve got a 10 page world-exclusive cover story on the new shooter that’s going to blow your mind. We’ve also got a six page first-look at the hot new music title DJ Hero. We also take a look at comics that have come from games and the fate of consoles and their lifecycles. That, plus all of the usual news, features, previews and reviews await you in the June issue of Game Informer. So do what you need to do – check your mailbox, get some snacks and clean off your reading chair.

gami194cover.jpg

Anyone got it yet?

J-Rzez

Shins said:
MAG?

:lol

Yes, Zipper has a great pedigree with their shooters. They've been working on it for 3+ years after going 1st party. It's going to be a fun year for shooter fans with it and MW2, well, for those with both a 360 and PS3 at least. (And PC if you have enough friends to enjoy MW2 with you)

OOH..

Can't wait for that GI article. GI delivering again, as usual.

EazyB

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Yes, Zipper has a great pedigree with their shooters. They've been working on it for 3+ years after going 1st party. It's going to be a fun year for shooter fans with it and MW2, well, for those with both a 360 and PS3 at least. (And PC if you have enough friends to enjoy MW2 with you)
Eh, for someone that downplayed CoD4 based on the competition it had upon release (RS:V, GRAW, Gears 1, and Halo 3) you sure give Zipper a lot of credit. Their games have get good review scores but not great. And as for competition, what was Socom competing against on the PS2?

I'd say MAG should be a lot more concerned with additional competition than CoD6. CoD4 (and its continued popularity) prove it can hang with the big boys; Socom's never even had to try.

J-Rzez

EazyB said:
Eh, for someone that downplayed CoD4 based on the competition it had upon release (RS:V, GRAW, Gears 1, and Halo 3) you sure give Zipper a lot of credit. Their games have get good review scores but not great. And as for competition, what was Socom competing against on the PS2?

I'd say MAG should be a lot more concerned with additional competition than CoD6. CoD4 (and its continued popularity) prove it can hang with the big boys; Socom's never even had to try.

Sales numbers and review scores don't mean the quality of the game really. I'm speaking from a shooter fan standpoint. My opinion and taste with the shooters. But if you want to talk about reviews/previews, MAG has gotten some pretty glowing previews so far, I actually didn't read a real negative comment yet. Those people seem very interested and excited for it, from what they've played. Once again though, it won't even be close "sales-age" wise though between the two.

To me, MW2 is going to have some massive competition for my game time and attention. It's also doing things that console gamers haven't really seen before perhaps, being really ambitious at it at that. I think it's going to turn some heads, maybe even those without a PS3. So, MW2 (or MAG) is going to have some competition from each other this fall. And it's going to be a good thing to have two high-profile shooters from proven developers for us shooter fans.

J-Rzez

Shins said:
If you're a console peasant, I suppose. :p

Hmm, I have a gaming pc, and tend to enjoy both PC and Console shooters. Sometimes console shooters have a unique and fun feel to their gameplay too. I'm looking forward to MAG and MW2 as much as I would a new CS.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so is it confirmed that they dropped COD name ? it's dump move from their part if true , tons of people bought WaW just because Call of Duty name was on it .

Guled

Hope HL2:EP3 comes out this year, as much as I like the COD games, I would not like one to get the FPS GOTY award

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Totobeni said:
so is it confirmed that they dropped COD name ? it's dump move from their part if true , tons of people bought WaW just because Call of Duty name was on it .
I see the logic on their part...spinning off Modern Warfare into it's own franchise...but it is indeed stupid. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it "Modern Warfare" but "COD4".

It'll still sell bazillions but dumping a highly known franchise name is a bit silly to me.

J-Rzez said:

Absolutely not.

J-Rzez said:
No other "near current day" shooter out there at that moment. And even if not including that like I meant, H3 was released about 2months before it, and with it disappointing many people, naturally a mass of people flocked to a much better game which was CoD4.

This time though, they have some stiff competition. A really ambitious title that may set a new bar for console, and possibly pc shooters (based on the depth of gameplay, and if it delivers as promised), and it's also a "near current day" shooter as well. I know lots of people that were just sick of WWII and future wizbangery guns, and prefer "modern warefare" to them. That number was pretty shockingly large to me even how many people I know that prefer it.

This to me seems rather ridiculous :lol

Sorry, but praising COD4 as a much better game then Halo 3 then following up with pie in the sky ideas about how MAG may set a new bar for console, and possible PC shooters strikes me as highly questionable!

Different opinions I guess.

Kibbles

Just read the Gamestop Pre-Order thing... do you have to sign for the game package, if I were to order it online?

Pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 by November the 9th at 11am CST with overnight shipping and get guaranteed delivery on the street date of November the 10th! If your product does not arrive on the street date, we will fully refund your shipping charge. Continental United States only. Must have Overnight Service available in your area. Offer void if you are unable to accept a delivery that was attempted. Not responsible for orders delayed due to inclement weather, incorrect address, credit card information or war dogs chasing the mailman.
:lol

JoJo13

Banned
Poimandres said:
This to me seems rather ridiculous :lol

Sorry, but praising COD4 as a much better game then Halo 3 then following up with pie in the sky ideas about how MAG may set a new bar for console, and possible PC shooters strikes me as highly questionable!

Different opinions I guess.

MAG's one of the few really ambitious shooters, though. Modern Warfare 2 will most likely be just like the other incarnations, which is to say -- established. MAG looks to genuinely break new ground.

Has a higher potential to fail, gameplay wise, but the reward is much higher if they truly deliver. And there's a good chance they will, given the initial impressions.

That's why I'm likely not going to bother with MW2 this fall if it is largely the same and MAG manages to deliver on its promise.

Guled

you guys are kidding your self if you think that MAG will even cause even the slightest threat to MW2 either in sales, popularity, or reception

JoJo13

Banned
Guled said:
you guys are kidding your self if you think that MAG will even cause even the slightest threat to MW2 either in sales, popularity, or reception

Er...I was discussing quality.

Obviously MAG won't be able to reach it in sales because it's not an established franchise and isn't multiplatform.

Guled

JoJo13 said:
Er...I was discussing quality.

Obviously MAG won't be able to reach it in sales because it's not an established franchise and isn't multiplatform.
I said reception, MW2 will easily get better scores and be considered a much better game (by almost everybody) then MAG.
~Devil Trigger~ said:
dont wanna go on with this Off-Topic but does MAG even have a single player campaign?
no, its online only

Guled

JoJo13 said:
Uhh, there's no way of knowing at this point.
Knowing Zipper and IW, and their past titles, its an extremely safe bet to make. Just like saying that the next Guitar Hero will be better then the next Rock Revolution.
DemonSwordsman said:
Yeah because, reviewers are always right. I mean look at GTA4 they were so right about that. And they seem to be spewing the same BS about this game too.

Regardless as long as they fixed the single player and keep MP as good as it was before COD should be good.
looks like you missed the second half of that sentence

Guled said:
I said reception, MW2 will easily get better scores and be considered a much better game (by almost everybody) then MAG.

no, its online only

Yeah because, reviewers are always right. I mean look at GTA4 they were so right about that. And they seem to be spewing the same BS about this game too.

Regardless as long as they fixed the single player and keep MP as good as it was before COD should be good.

Guled said:
yes, I read all the MAG previews from the sony event, but again your are seriously kidding your self if you think that it will be better then MW2. Also here is a tip, in general previews are almost always positive and are not a good indicator of how a game will turn out.

And your seriously kidding your self if you think MW2 is going to be anything but a rehash of COD4.

Guled

DemonSwordsman said:
And your seriously kidding your self if you think MW2 is going to be anything but a rehash of COD4.
and thats a bad thing? Obviously its not going to be revolutionary, but CoD4 was and still is an amazing game that did so much right. So if they take that and improve on it (which is what almost every great sequel dose) how is that a bad thing?

DemonSwordsman said:

Just like COD4 was a rehash of COD2, right? Treyarch has been the only developer who just rehashes the game. IW seems to take it in a new direction each time.

J-Rzez

Guled said:
yes, I read all the MAG previews from the sony event, but again your are seriously kidding your self if you think that it will be better then MW2. Also here is a tip, in general previews are almost always positive and are not a good indicator of how a game will turn out.

Yeah dude. MAG is doing the same old same old. 64/128/256 player battles, persistent battlefields, player skill trees, squad buffs, special officer abilities, multi-objective gameplay, special dedicated servers/netcoding, we're all tired of that stuff on consoles. What we want is the more fresh experience that we're probably going to get with Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2. I don't think they're going to risk straying far from their formula, which is fine, it works. But they may get passed by another game that's wildly more ambitious than "what we know of MW2", which is nothing, but for now we can go off their old work.

If Zipper pulls a Slant 6, yeah, MAG is going to fail hard. If they deliver, I'm not so sure how you can be so assured that their best won't be better than IW's efforts. They're both skilled devs, one is going to be riding their last success waves yet, another is a 1st party dev with lots of backing focusing on one experience on a single machine.

Guled

J-Rzez said:
Yeah dude. MAG is doing the same old same old. 64/128/256 player battles, persistent battlefields, player skill trees, squad buffs, special officer abilities, multi-objective gameplay, special dedicated servers/netcoding, we're all tired of that stuff on consoles. What we want is the more fresh experience that we're probably going to get with Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2. I don't think they're going to risk straying far from their formula, which is fine, it works. But they may get passed by another game that's wildly more ambitious than "what we know of MW2", which is nothing, but for now we can go off their old work.

If Zipper pulls a Slant 6, yeah, MAG is going to fail hard. If they deliver, I'm not so sure how you can be so assured that their best won't be better than IW's efforts. They're both skilled devs, one is going to be riding their last success waves yet, another is a 1st party dev with lots of backing focusing on one experience on a single machine.
The budget for MW2 is most likely much bigger then MAG, and they have much more experience with next gen systems (2 tiles vs. 0 so far). CoD4 is considered by most to be the pinnacle of online MP on consoles. And they are making a full game instead of just an online game. And IW is more talented then Zipper, so its easily to think that MW2 will be much better then MAG. Actually, other then being a fanboy, or never played CoD4, I can't see why someone would think MAG would be better

All I know is that every single one of my friends are buying COD6 day one no matter what system they own and I will be right there with them.

COD6 is on all my friends radar this year and no one has mentioned MAG in any way. COD6 is going to be huge and the best selling title this Xmas hands down.

JoJo13

Banned
Guled said:
The budget for MW2 is most likely much bigger then MAG, and they have much more experience with next gen systems (2 tiles vs. 0 so far). CoD4 is considered my most to be the pinnacle of online MP on consoles. And they are making a full game instead of just an online game. And IW is more talented then Zipper, so its easily to think that MW2 will be much better then MAG. Actually, other then being a fanboy, or never played CoD4, I can't see why someone would think MAG would be better

MAG's budget accounts for: 130+ Zipper staff working for nearly 4 years. You do the math.

MW2, in comparison, has only been in development for roughly half that time, with a staff that may be slightly larger (I'm not sure).

MAG has significant financial backing.

MW2's marketing budget will likely dwarf MAG's, but development budget MAG probably has it beat.

I wouldn't say IW is more talented either; the CoD games tend to be the same experience over and over again with each iteration and the same flaws persist even years after they were brought to their attention. The CoD series in general is one of the most overrated out there in terms of quality but it is accessible, multiplatform, has extensive longevity due to perks and has an appealing setting/theme which has much to account for its popularity. It's basically the new Madden for this gen.

You sound more like a fanboy with your assurance that CoD:MW2 will be better. The fact is, we genuinely know almost nothing about both games, however we can have a pretty reasonable assumption that MW2 will be a rather conservative installment of an established franchise while MAG is a bit of a gamble with potential high reward.

thaOwner

Will you idiots give it a rest already ? sheesh. Both games can co-exist and each game can have its user base. End of discussion.

Top Bottom