• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Official Image from Luc Besson's 'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets'

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal9001

Banned
FcMdbax.jpg

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets arrives on July 21, 2017.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets stars Dane DeHaan as Valerian and Cara Delevingne as Laureline. The film also features Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, Herbie Hancock, Rutger Hauer and Clive Owen.

Synopsis

The ambitiously titled sci-fi film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets has officially started shooting. Based on a French comic book called Valerian and Laureline by writer Pierre Christin and artist Jean-Claude Mézières, here's the official synopsis:

Rooted in the classic graphic novel series, Valerian and Laureline- visionary writer/director Luc Besson advances this iconic source material into a contemporary, unique and epic science fiction saga.

Valerian (Dane DeHaan) and Laureline (Cara Delevingne) are special operatives for the government of the human territories charged with maintaining order throughout the universe. Valerian has more in mind than a professional relationship with his partner—blatantly chasing after her with propositions of romance. But his extensive history with women, and her traditional values, drive Laureline to continuously rebuff him.

Under directive from their Commander (Clive Owen), Valerian and Laureline embark on a mission to the breathtaking intergalactic city of Alpha, an ever-expanding metropolis comprised of thousands of different species from all four corners of the universe. Alpha’s seventeen million inhabitants have converged over time- uniting their talents, technology and resources for the betterment of all. Unfortunately, not everyone on Alpha shares in these same objectives; in fact, unseen forces are at work, placing our race in great danger.

Luc Besson is making this one. You might remember Besson from things like The Fifth Element and Lucy, but not for the same reasons. One is a masterpiece and the other is really bad. (Stay objective, John!)

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/vale...rst-official-image-synopsis-cast-release-date

Well, that Cara Delevingne costume looks... exagerated.
Not sure about Dale DeHaan as the lead. He's a good actor but he doesn't strike me as an action star.
I haven't liked a Luc Besson movie since the Fifth Element so I hope this movie will channel some of that, Valerian is a great comic.

Ullus

Will give anything with Clive Owen in it a try.

Costumes reminds me of the medium armor in Mass Effect 1.

Really intrigued about a 180 million dollar luc bresson movie but I don't fuck with that dehaan kid and this picture looks like pacific rim 2

liquidtmd

Banned
Its one pic but it looks very YA orientated and similar to the rash of them

Besson will always get a pass with me for Leon and the Fifth Element though so will check out

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't understand the love for Cara delevingne. She can't act. Why is she even there ?

Are you really asking why good-looking people get acting roles? Rihanna is also in this movie.

Will give anything with Clive Owen in it a try.

Costumes reminds me of the medium armor in Mass Effect 1.

I'm also getting Mass Effect armor vibes.

Luc Besson and Sci-fi always has interesting results, even if the premise and execution is sometimes nonsensical, i.e. Lucy.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
The source material is fantastic stuff, anyone interested in wacky scifi should definitely check it out. No idea how easy or hard it is to find English translations for it though. Besson is boss, I'm hoping the combination of the solid material and his eye for scifi make this something worthwhile. Not too hot on DeHaan though.

Dmax3901

Valerian has more in mind than a professional relationship with his partner—blatantly chasing after her with propositions of romance. But his extensive history with women, and her traditional values, drive Laureline to continuously rebuff him.

This is such a weird thing to put in a synopsis.

Mimosa97

she must be one of the current It Girls.

I know she is but I'm asking why ?

Are you really asking why good-looking people get acting roles? Rihanna is also in this movie.

Being good-looking isn't good enough to land you so many big roles in such a short period of time. Plus there are tons of actresses who are just as good looking as her and way better at their job.

Rihanna will probably only make a cameo. She doesn't have a big role.

Pau

The source material is fantastic stuff, anyone interested in wacky scifi should definitely check it out. No idea how easy or hard it is to find English translations for it though. Besson is boss, I'm hoping the combination of the solid material and his eye for scifi make this something worthwhile. Not too hot on DeHaan though.
This is why I should learn French. So many comics and science-fiction I'm missing out on.

Kuldar

It's weird to have a young looking actor for Valerian, I always thought the character was older.

It's a Besson film so I'll pass.

Hyun Sai

Ok, they really did the boob armor again, on top of being a complete rip off of Mass Effect style and logo.

After Lucy, no way in hell I'll see any other Besson movie in theater.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Someone photoshop a N7 logo on their armor and a red/white stripe on their arm and you got a Mass Effect movie...somewhat. Even the synopsis sound like Mass Effect 1, just replace Alpha by the Citadel, and make the "unseen forces" the Reapers.

orioto

Good Art™
The fuck is that casting.. Besson should remember th element was a success but.. It had Bruce. I'm worried for that lol.

Khaz

Loved the original comic.

Lots of time travel in there, and a quite complex storyline spanning over several books. I don't know how well it will fit on the big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom