• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official off screen gameplay for From Software's Bloodborne (PS4)

So, do we throw duckroll to the werewolves?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Elixist

man i hope its not too late to add some decapitations and bodies gettin cut in half anime style, especially for trash mobs. these games could really use some cooler deaths of the enemies. its something that dark2 really shit the bed on, lvl 160 character with a maxed greatsword hits a trashmob and it doesnt even react to the force just falls forward. still FOR of course just something i'd really like to see.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This game is not the only one guilty of this by any stretch of the imagination, but should enemies really be dying by a hit to the ankles?

If the same would happen to the player character, then yes.

I'm all for location-based damage, but in a game like this where you can't really aim precisely for certain body parts, designing the combat that way would likely introduce an annoying element of randomness.

But there's another game, Deep Down, which seems to be doing exactly this, with more control over how you aim your melee weapons.

Man

I think Demon's Souls is the best game of the last generation and I can see how someone not familiar with the series would go 'wtf' to the reactions over those gifs.

Go pick up either Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 1 and you will also understand.

There are no shields. This has been confirmed in interviews.

Uh are you sure?

From what I read, all they mentioned was they wanted to move away from the passive block/attack formula.

Even still, you can probably bet your ass you will be able to block. Judging from my experience in all the games' PvP, if there's no shield/block system, people will be 100% lost.

wapplew

2015 is going to be downright disgusting.

Bloodborne, Persona 5, Witcher 3, LoZ, Bayonetta, Pillars of Eternity (no way it doesn't get delayed), and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Hnnnrrggg.

UC4, Halo 5 and more. GOTY fight will be bloodbath.

Proxy

Just wanted to remark how much of a step up the graphics are compared to the other Souls games.

Also, stuff like this :

Those hitboxes are worse than Dark Souls 2. Plus the enemy ai is shit.

They really shouldn't have shown the game in this state.

So we got video of him climbing up a ladder and missing on almost every single attack, yet still killing enemies...

Not a good sign IMO.

Is why devs don't show early footage of their games to the general public.

Respawn

Banned
The worst fucking players always have their hands on a controller or steering wheel. Why are you in the business mofo's? That is the question arwooooooo

velociraptor

yeesh, framerate looks pretty rough in the in the first half when he's climbing the ladder and running around up top

hopefully they can optimize the game better by launch and we don't wind up with another DS2 situation

This is obviously an early build, and secondly, they've got plenty of time to optimise.

drotahorror

Love the blood splatters. Also, it's really frustrating to watch people play the Souls games without locking on to enemies. I know you don't target always but, for instance watching Angry Joe play for 15min and not knowing you can lock on hah.

This game is not the only one guilty of this by any stretch of the imagination, but should enemies really be dying by a hit to the ankles?

Fighting games are the worst about this, getting knocked out by a little jab to the knee.

Tell us your experiences of fightning mythological creatures.

Location based damage would be cool as hell, but they already sort of have that with weapons.

For example, the Halberd/spears types of weapons in DkS2 have specific ranges to do maximum damage.

Just wanted to remark how much of a step up the graphics are compared to the other Souls games.

Also, stuff like this :

Is why devs don't show early footage of their games to the general public.

Ya I can't believe people are complaining about shit like this. It's like developers know we're not smart enough to distinguish between a finished and in-development product. And we point out flaws like FPS problems like the developers don't already know.

Zeliard

This critical knee-jerky stuff is so bizarre to me. First there were the people thinking Bloodborne would be much more of a frantic action game in the vein of Devil May Cry since Miyazaki dared to say combat would be quicker and more proactive. Because everything Miyazaki and From in general have ever done wasn't a clue as to what he actually meant, of course.

Now there are the people hand-wringing about the player not using lock-on (with all three Souls games having lock-on, why on Earth would this one not when combat is clearly similar?) and a perceived lack of polish with the game still a year away.

RyudBoy

HAHA that's enough for me. Shit looks insane. I wasn't that impressed with the leaked stuff, but even from this off screen footage, you get a much better sense of how nice it looks.

There are no shields. This has been confirmed in interviews.
:p
6wRWffo.png

I don't think there has been ACTUAL confirmation, just people saying stuff. I haven't been keeping up with interview though, so please link me one where it's 100% confirmed by a RELIABLE source.

duckroll

Uh are you sure?

From what I read, all they mentioned was they wanted to move away from the passive block/attack formula.

Even still, you can probably bet your ass you will be able to block. Judging from my experience in all the games' PvP, if there's no shield/block system, people will be 100% lost.

They've talked a little bit about the weapon system for the game. You equip something in each hand, and while there are some weapons which can work for both hands, some weapons are fixed as either a left handed or right handed weapon, so I guess the "offhand" concept still exists, just in a different way. It's been implied that everything is a weapon this time, and that weapons have primary and secondary functions. So some could have defensive functions as well.

This critical knee-jerky stuff is so bizarre to me. First there were the people thinking Bloodborne would be much more of a frantic action game in the vein of Devil May Cry since Miyazaki dared to say combat would be quicker and more proactive. Because everything Miyazaki and From in general have ever done wasn't a clue as to what he actually meant, of course.

Now there are the people hand-wringing about the player not using lock-on (with all three Souls games having lock-on, why on Earth would this one not when combat is clearly similar?) and a perceived lack of polish with the game still a year away.

Yeah it seems alot of us are amazed by what we saw and are acute enough to know it's an early build, And a few who are judging the game purely to find faults with it but not acknowledging its an early build and isnt out until next year.

-PXG-

But dat frame rate tho

I kid, I know it's really early and far from release. We're lucky to be seeing this

This is already better than the leaked webms and that was enough to put me in a happy mood.

:p
6wRWffo.png

I don't think there has been ACTUAL confirmation, just people saying stuff. I haven't been keeping up with interview though, so please link me one where it's 100% confirmed by a RELIABLE source.

Yeah, enemies have them.
I'm trying to dig up an interview but I swear it was mentioned that there were no shields available and that your shotgun would act as a shield (however that should work).

MOAR

Looks a little choppy or some animations aren't in completely, but that is internal alpha for you.

I hope we can get some more info on combat system, hoping for power stance still.

They've talked a little bit about the weapon system for the game. You equip something in each hand, and while there are some weapons which can work for both hands, some weapons are fixed as either a left handed or right handed weapon, so I guess the "offhand" concept still exists, just in a different way. It's been implied that everything is a weapon this time, and that weapons have primary and secondary functions. So some could have defensive functions as well.

Info like this, pretty neat-o. As much as I like Dark Souls its good to see them branching out. I'm sure DS3 will happen at some point.

What's more bizarre is that the first leaked footage has lock on...

VICI0US

shake your head all you want, dark souls 2 couldn't even maintain 30 FPS on the ps3 which was extremely disappointing. ended up selling my PS3 copy to play it on PC.

dark souls and demons souls aren't without their own hiccups either (looking at you blight town)

I love from's dark fantasy games, but they seriously need to get their stuff together in terms of performance and optimization

Top Bottom