• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Resident Evil : Darkside Chronicles trailer !

Haunted

cvxfreak said:
resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090428064148735.jpg
wow.

Assemble!

Though I need no good reason to buy something with RE plastered on it, this looks like a vast improvement over the UC.... and LEON FTMFW!

Eteric Rice

Even though I'm still bitter that we're getting another light gun game, I have to give these guys props where it's deserved. The graphics and what not are waaay better than UC.

Hopefully they can fix the choppiness, though.

billy.sea

Banned
Wow I am excited. I thought I was disappointed when we get another 'chronicles' game instead of a proper RE game, but since RE2 is one of my favorite games of all time, this brings back a lot of great memories.

careksims

This makes me happy and sad. Sad there isn't a proper RE2 remake with normal controls but I am still getting this game! Very big improvement over UC.

Hiltz

I'm still waiting for a good on-rails FPS for the Wii so hopefully RE Darkside Chronicles and/or Dead Space: Extraction will do it for me.

While I enjoyed Ghost Squad and House of the Dead, those were ports of old titles. I haven't played the original Umbrella Chronicles game but I wasn't that impressedd by House of the Dead:Overkill.

As far as Darkside Chronicles goes, I've never experienced the stories of RE2 or Code Veronica. The game's use of character interaction and seemingly darker and more grim setting and dramatic action is a plus in my book. In addition, the game looks very nice.

Has a release date for this game been announced yet?

billy.sea

Banned
Rash said:
Not at all.

I played my share of Resident Evil 5. It's a good game, but it's not the end-all-be-all of Resident Evil games. I'd easily put REmake, RE2, and RE4 above it. And, since this new game is a retelling of RE2, even if it is in the form of a rail-shooter, as an RE fan I say "bring it on."

Not only that, but....Leon's in it. What more needs to be said?

I think a lot of people miss the scary environments of earlier Resident Evil. I love Resident Evil 5 (as I am a huge RE fanboy), but I admit RE4 and RE5 are looking more like Tomb Raider than the RE games of the 90s.

The Wii is becoming the best on-rail shooter machine of all time. I also feel bad for Dead Space if it is releasing the same time as this game, as RE will definitely kill Dead Space sale.
They should also make Time Crisis, Silent Scope etc on the Wii... but I guess the themes from those games are too generic compare to all the zombie on-rail shooters.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Hiltz said:
but I wasn't that impressedd by House of the Dead:Overkill.
blasphemy. I don't even believe you played it at this point!! ;)

HotD: Overkill is one of the best games on Wii, hands down.

cvxfreak said:
The voice actors do sound like Paul Mercier and Alyson Court at times, but not in others. It's probably them, though.

I can't tell who's voicing Ada though.
It's definitely Paul Mercier and I'm almost 100% sure that it's Alyson Court (which is feasible, since she returned for DEGENERATION, too).

Ada sounds a lot like Sally Cahill, which is the biggest plus for me – the actress from TUC sounded shallow.

0-Birkin in real-time. Menacing!

MechaX

cvxfreak said:
The voice actors do sound like Paul Mercier and Alyson Court at times, but not in others. It's probably them, though.

I can't tell who's voicing Ada though.

Claire sounds like she has the same VA she's always had, and Leon sounds like he does in RE4/Degeneration, but it seems as if he's putting actual emotion into his acting (unlike his dead-pan performance in Degeneration).

Ada sounds pretty different, though.

Looks so so good

I got sick of UC after a while, me and my bro just couldn't get past this one bit

We had to do a QTE event where a zombie stepped on a mine otherwise it would kill us, we tried so many times til we got fed up

obaidr

Banned
are those screens realtime? From the polygon and texturing they seem to be semi FMV or something. Would be great if all those screens were realtime. It would proof devs just don't try to get good results out of th Wii but the Wii can do great graphics but then again a rail shooter does not need to use processing power on movement, dynamic camera, path finder, AI etc. which means you have more power to render graphics.

scitek

obaidr said:
are those screens realtime? From the polygon and texturing they seem to be semi FMV or something. Would be great if all those screens were realtime. It would proof devs just don't try to get good results out of th Wii but the Wii can do great graphics but then again a rail shooter does not need to use processing power on movement, dynamic camera, path finder, AI etc. which means you have more power to render graphics.

You can see the aiming reticle on the screen, I think they're real-time.

pakkit

Banned
Looks like RE:DC and Dead Space: Extinction will be battling for my money. They both look hot as hell...who knew the Survival Horror On-Rails genre would be so cluttered in 2009? :lol

Tiktaalik

This game looks really fabulous. Maybe one of the best looking Wii games yet would folks say? It's like Gears of War on the Xbox. When you strip down the area that you're working with to a minimum, you can really crank up the graphics. This game's graphics really benefit from limiting the game to an on rails, corridor experience. The on rails experience also probably allows for a lot of shock scares too.

Diablos54

Wow, this is looking pretty damn awesome. Although the RE2 fan in me still wished we'd got a RE1 style remake, this will definitely do instead! :D

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
OH FUCK YOU CAPCOM WHY RAILS WHY FUCKING RAILS

*goes to cry in corner*

If FFIV was on rails, it would have been released here I'm sure.

obaidr

Banned
scitek said:
You can see the aiming reticle on the screen, I think they're real-time.

yes they are realtime but in THEORY you could make a rail shooter with only FMVs as well. Since everything is scripted except the shooting you can run a FMV and just draw some maps on the movie and then look up where the player aims to. To make it more realistic you can add a random hit number :D

i am sure something like that was already made and would even work.

beje

Banned
At least now blood looks like blood, and not like putrid mud like in the the first game partly due to the sub-par color pallete and depth inherited from the RE4 engine.

obaidr said:
yes they are realtime but in THEORY you could make a rail shooter with only FMVs as well. Since everything is scripted except the shooting you can run a FMV and just draw some maps on the movie and then look up where the player aims to. To make it more realistic you can add a random hit number :D

Rayman-Raving-Rabbids-2-5.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
While I sincerely doubt this will have as much raw fun as Overkill, it sure raises the bar high from a graphical standpoint. Dead Space: Extraction now has a lot more to live up to....

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
John Harker said:
While I sincerely doubt this will have as much raw fun as Overkill, it sure raises the bar high from a graphical standpoint. Dead Space: Extraction now has a lot more to live up to....
agreed. Overkill is one of the best gun games ever made both this and Dead Space have a lot to live up to... but yeah, at least the graphics here look gorgeous (and from a pixel standpoint definitely beat the hell out of overkill). will be interesting to see how both fair.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This looks pretty awesome but I don't want to be burned like I was last time. I hated UC so much. Keeping a very tentative eye on this.

birdchili

fight for my not-really-survival-horror rail shooter dollars!

i have never been more prepared for the zombie apocalypse than i am this gaming gen.

obaidr said:

Yeah you could make the BACKGROUNDS FMV but the models would have to be real time to react to the gun shots

I watched the trailer again, and I'm still getting chills, but I really wish this wasn't a light-gun game. I guess that's a common complaint.

It looks like great fun, though, and it's a wonderful looking game.

Top Bottom