• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Resident Evil : Darkside Chronicles trailer !

Sadist

KeeSomething said:
I watched the trailer again, and I'm still getting chills, but I really wish this wasn't a light-gun game. I guess that's a common complaint.

It looks like great fun, though, and it's a wonderful looking game.
Capcom's masterplan:

Fans: We want RE 2 Remake!!!
Capcom: No Wai!
Capcom: *Dishes out RE 2 segment in on-rail shooter*
Fans: Be damned Capcom, we want real remake, not a onrail shooter! The trailer is awesome though
Capcom: *Releases another trailer + awesome screens*
Fans: Damn, that looks awesome!. There goes €$ 50.

birdchili

just because i'm not burnt out on zombie-blasting co-op on-rails shooters doesn't mean that it's impossible for me to burn out on zombie-blasting co-op on-rails shooters (though it *might* be impossible - it's hard to say right now).

and... as has been said many times, it's not these games that are really the problem (there's tons of love for them here for the most part) - it's the lack of *other stuff* on this platform that begins to grate.

Scrubking

Shogun said:
But guys it's on rails, it has to suck, right...?

Considering that Capcom does not make light gun games and has released two mediocre efforts in the genre I would think that it would be obvious. However, the pretty visuals have eaten away any sense and drummed up hype to the point where people are actually comparing this to Overkill - a game by a company that specializes in light gun games and has been making them successfully for years.

Scrubking said:
Considering that Capcom does not make light gun games and has released two mediocre efforts in the genre I would think that it would be obvious. However, the pretty visuals have eaten away any sense and drummed up hype to the point where people are actually comparing this to Overkill - a game by a company that specializes in light gun games and has been making them successfully for years.
Headstrong/Kuju has been making lightgun games for years?

MechaX

Scrubking said:

In Capcom's defense, it is not as if Umbrella Chronicles was an absolutely terrible experience, as opposed to being marred by some obvious marks of inexperience. I don't remember the other one they did, though.

Sadist

Scrubking said:
Lol... did you actually think when posting this?

KevinCow

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-20090428064209328.jpg
This one makes me sad. Could have been so awesome. :(

Sadist said:
Capcom's masterplan:

Fans: We want RE 2 Remake!!!
Capcom: No Wai!
Capcom: *Dishes out RE 2 segment in on-rail shooter*
Fans: Be damned Capcom, we want real remake, not a onrail shooter! The trailer is awesome though
Capcom: *Releases another trailer + awesome screens*
Fans: Damn, that looks awesome!. There goes €$ 50.

This is exactly what I am thinking. Can't understand all the euphory here.

Sadist

Frencherman said:
This is exactly what I am thinking. Can't understand all the euphory here.
It still looks good and if they fix the things that were wrong in UC, it will be a good game.

Sadist said:
It still looks good and if they fix the things that were wrong in UC, it will be a good game.

The thing that was wrong in the first game has been the idea to implement all the factors that have made the franchise big in a limited rail-gameplay by forgetting or neglecting the most important factor of great all videogames:

=> Fun

I am not optimistic about this one...

The Hermit

Looks much faster paced than the first, which was the main flaw... and I the first UC is my fav. Wii Rail-Shooter second only to House of the Dead 2.

Just when I though Capcom was just trolling the Wii, they do this. :D

Scrubking said:

Newsflash: Overkill was decent at best. I expected something like HOTD 2 and they failed.

The thing that confuses me about these lightgun shooters is how are they more work than third person shooters?

Everything still gets modeled the same, right? It's just that your control is put on a set path, but if you're just using stuff from RE4, all that stuff has already been made for you so you don't really have much more to do.

I enjoyed UC, but this game looks much better. I hope they give HUNK his own scenario again, and that Barry get some kind of cameo. It's been years since he last appeared.

Bizzyb

Banned
Well it looks like this IS the RE2 remake we've all wanted. Too bad its not in the form we wanted.

This game will probably be Capcom's biggest seller on Wii, make no mistake about it. Too bad it will just lead to ANOTHER light gun game....

Anony

no online coop...

if this was a 360/ps3 game and was announced without this component, i bet there would have been so much backlash that they would be forced to put it in

it's 2009, i know wii shit sucks for online, but it's better than nothing

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Yeah this is fine, but where is Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica with enhanced controls on wii? Not far behind?

pakkit

Banned
Overkill was fun because of its story. Its actual shooting was mediocre, especially compared to the 2nd and 4th game in the series. This looks like it could deliver a half decent story as well as some freaky, shaky cam shooting. Cavia said headshots and shooting in general would be easier, here's hoping they weren't pulling the wool over our eyes.

rocK`

Banned
looks very awesome

this is one of the few trailers though, that i felt showed way too much. I feel like I just played through the game.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
A worse framerate than UC? Oh boy.

I really hope they tone down the graphics if they can't get that framerate up. What's the point of having it look nice if it runs like shit?

Also, I wish it would remain difficult to get headshots (forehead shots). Made the first game feel so satisfying compared to other rail shooters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
it looks great, i'll give it that much, plus the trailer seemed to suggest pretty much everything from RE2 being in there.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
It's kind of weird seeing Mr. X in this game when his advanced prototype was in the first Chronicles game as a Wesker Boss Battle during the events of RE1. They already explained them as being different branches of Umbrella development. But still why use Mr. X when you have the smarter, faster and more powerful Ivan Bioweapon or whatever it was called? Maybe they wanted to test all of their B.O.W.'s no matter how different or inferior to one another they were.

cvxfreak

Shaheed79 said:
It's kind of weird seeing Mr. X in this game when his advanced prototype was in the first Chronicles game as a Wesker Boss Battle during the events of RE1. They already explained them as being different branches of Umbrella development. But still why use Mr. X when you have the smareter, faster and more powerful Ivan Bioweapon or whatever it was called?

Realistic answer: Biohazard 2: 1998, Umbrella Chronicles: 2007

Plot answer: Pretty sure Sergei was the only one with access to the Ivan :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
and the MR X units are seemingly relatively cheaper to make, i mean Sheena Island (or whatever that place in Survivor was) had them being produced over an assembly line..

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The lighting is pretty sub par. They should make it look more like REmake's lighting and not the original games super bright environments. That hallway in the lab could have been so atmospheric. NTM the Shadows of the zombies don't make any sense from the light sources. This looks like another quick cash in by Capcom just like the original U.C. but the game was fun as hell so I'll be buying this regardless. Capgod only applies to certain systems.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
cvxfreak said:
Realistic answer: Biohazard 2: 1998, Umbrella Chronicles: 2007

Plot answer: Pretty sure Sergei was the only one with access to the Ivan :p
Yeah I guess you're right since they were acting as his personal bodyguards and not B.O.W.s they wanted to test. Whatever the Ivan's were they were way past testing phase. I hope to see more added stuff like the awesome Wesker missions in UC in DC. Can't wait to see the Hunk missions!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I'm an idiot UC had a GREAT lighting model. Part of the strategy was to shoot the lights for possible power-ups but you risked turning the environment completely dark if you shoot all the lights. I hope they keep that in DC because I LOVED that feature. I retract my lighting criticism completely.

Davey Cakes

Dot50Cal said:
A worse framerate than UC? Oh boy.
Well, as of the VERY first trailer we saw, the game was only 35% done. As of this trailer, it's probably not much more complete than that. They still have a long way to go, so we can hope that the framerate is improved before the release of the game, which is months away.

Top Bottom