• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Review for The Last of Us

nofi

It already happened lol. Many of the previews complained about it but forgot to either mention or realise there was the option to turn it off lol.

I complained about it in my preview because it's handled poorly in the demo.

In the full game, it's handled much better and - yes - I know you can switch it off.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Heavy Rain has it's faults but it's one of the most differentiating games out there. It deserves all the praise it gets. Do you want another rinse and repeat dudebro shooter?

Just because it may deserve praise for being interesting or novel doesn't necessarily mean that it deserves praise for being good. Praising mediocre writing and pacing as "incredible" is part of why I think BioWare not only fails to get better but actually seems to be getting worse :/

nib95

Banned
I complained about it in my preview because it's handled poorly in the demo.

In the full game, it's handled much better and - yes - I know you can switch it off.

But did you play the game with it switched off? Knowing it can be switched off and playing with it switched off are two different things. From what I've read it's a more intense and rewarding (but also more difficult) experience with the option turned off.

nofi

But did you play the game with it switched off? Knowing it can be switched off and playing with it switched off are two different things. From what I've read it's a more intense and rewarding experience with the option turned off.

The demo? Yep. The full game? It's on as a toggle, and I'm finding it pretty useful at times. Total reversal on my complaints with the function.

I absolutely guarantee this lol. For one, insta kill by clickers will go down with many journos as a big negative. I bet many don't even realise there's toggles for the visualisation hearing mode, or the gratuitous violence.

I think it's the listen mode is what the reviewers will have an issue with. I bet a lot will say it broke the game and would have preferred that it didn't exist.
I'm expecting plenty of 7/10's and your typical "why did ND have to waste their time on MP".

nib95

Banned
The demo? Yep. The full game? It's on as a toggle, and I'm finding it pretty useful at times. Total reversal on my complaints with the function.

Fair enough. Looking forward to reading your review. No idea who you write for, but hopefully it gets posted in the OT or review thread.

Nizz

Let the circlejerk commence!
23fbb3aa55a96bb7898da5baf7937e5d4f9d5674.gif

So pandering to fools is the reason? And that makes it better?

I didn't say it makes it better. Honestly, I don't care, I don't even read reviews.
But this kind of reviews is, to me, a product of people always wanting the next biggest thing. Gaming journalism, outside of a very small number of places, is a complete joke. Reviews still seem to be full of hyperbole bullshit, like "gta4 has an oscar worthy story" and the infamous 11/10 mgs4.

I think things won't change until we stop having lunatic reactions just because uncharted 3 got an 8 and zelda got an 8.8, or any other example. Everytime a reviewer even dares to give his opinion, and that somehow doesn't fit with the 9/10 mentality for big games, everyone starts asking for his head on a stick.

Sakujou

Banned
Iam expecting a good game, but i dont believe into the hype. This always ends in disappointment. Dont think I'll dip day1

ironcreed

Banned
Lawdz, that is some mighty high praise. I think it is going to be fantastic, but I am not going in expecting the Citizen Kane of video games or anything, lol.

If someone spoils what Rosebud means I'll be pissed and if you think it's a sled, think again motherfucker. Been waiting for this since 1941.

It's hard for me to even want to read reviews anymore with comparisons like this. I'll never forget how hard I laughed when Bioshock Infinite was compared to Waiting for Godot and Chinatown.

antitrop

It's hard for me to even want to read reviews anymore with comparisons like this. I'll never forget how hard I laughed when Bioshock Infinite was compared to Waiting for Godot and Chinatown.
This is an especially shitty review, though. (Or it was while it was up)

Adam Sessler still made a bunch of fair points and made a compelling argument for someone to play Bioshock Infinite.

This Empire review was just a bunch of generic bullshit anyone could have written down from reading previews and message boards and properly gauging consumer interest and hype.

There are certainly several people in the thread who questioned whether the author has even played the game at all, since he mentions nothing specific that would prove that he played it. Even if he did truly play it, that speaks for the worth and relevancy of this review, even when it gets back up on at the right time.

I think that's fine, when I'm talking to a (specific) friend, we're always referring to the B-button on a Nintendo controller, the A-button on a 360 controller and the X-button on a Dual Shock as "A" (and to the Y-button of a Nintendo-controller, the X-button of a 360 controller and the square button of a Dual Shock as B ;)). I instantly knew which button I'm supposed to press here :).

True enough, I was just trying to be sassy :3

DukeBobby

Why do Empire review games anyway? Every game review I've read in their magazine is about 2 lines long.

Also, Metro: Last Light only 3 stars? Pfft...

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if we'll have another Uncharted 3 8/10 deal. Would be pretty entertaining.
100% positive this is going to happen.

The thing that I found hilarious about the 8/10 thing is that the Eurogamer review was pretty positive overall, and sold me on the game yet people were losing their god damn minds because of the number. After I played U3, I felt like the 8/10 review was a bit too positive, let alone the knob polishing IGN gave the game. And U2 is one of my top 3 games of the generation.

I'm buying this game on my trust in the U2 team and the interesting premise. I have a sinking feeling it's not going to be the game I want, but I'm going to give it a fair chance. No way in hell am I paying attention to reviews for this game since I assume we'll get the typical hyperbole-laden AAA reviews that ignore every fault of the game while full page TLoU banner ads are spread across all gaming sites. Sigh.

This is an especially shitty review, though. (Or it was while it was up)

Adam Sessler still made a bunch of fair points and made a compelling argument for someone to play Bioshock Infinite.

This Empire review was just a bunch of generic bullshit anyone could have written down from reading previews and message boards and properly gauging consumer interest and hype.

There are certainly several people in the thread who questioned whether the author has even played the game at all, since he mentions nothing specific that would prove that he played it. Even if he did truly play it, that speaks for the worth and relevancy of this review, even when it gets back up on at the right time.

Well, to be clear, that sounds like an IGN review, which I certainly think Sessler is above.

I'm just finding many recent professional reviews to be desperately cloying as they attempt to borrow relevance from film in a way which is neither accurate, informative, nor constructive. It's not so much pseudo-intellectual as nonsensical.

antitrop

Well, to be clear, that sounds like an IGN review, which I certainly think Sessler is above.

I'm just finding many recent professional reviews to be desperately cloying as they attempt to borrow relevance from film in a way which is neither accurate, informative, nor constructive. It's not so much pseudo-intellectual as nonsensical.
I certainly prefer the bombastic X-Play Adam Sessler I grew up with to the overly philosophical Rev3 Sessler of 2013, that's for sure.

-CRASH-

Banned
Citizen Kane pushed filmmaking forward in so many ways..... I really don't see anything about this game that would garner that comparison

I have no doubt in my mind that the game will be spectacular. but to push gaming forward? we'll see

antitrop

Citizen Kane pushed filmmaking forward in so many ways..... I really don't see anything about this game that would garner that comparison

I have no doubt in my mind that the game will be spectacular. but to push gaming forward? we'll see
I don't really think it's all that hard for one of gaming's preeminent developers to push gaming forward significantly, especially in the midst of the genre-stagnation and copycat games that the last 4-5 years has thrust upon us.

I think Naughty Dog has the ability to do it if anyone will.

My expectations are so low these days that all it takes is something like Spec Ops to prove to me that there are still people out there trying to inject some creative and interesting ideas into their copycat genre games. I really don't want much, just some effort. The Last of Us appears to be overflowing with effort, I expect greatness.

Gestault

I don't really think it's all that hard for one of gaming's preeminent developers to push gaming forward significantly, especially in the midst of the genre-stagnation and copycat games that the last 4-5 years has thrust upon us.

My expectations are so low these days that all it takes is something like Spec Ops to prove to me that there are still people out there trying to inject some creative and interesting ideas into their copycat genre games. I really don't want much, just some effort. The Last of Us appears to be overflowing with effort, I expect greatness.

I feel like so long as Last of Us is well executed, in the sense that there aren't generational holdovers like invisible walls that cut off areas that look like you should be able to explore them, or issues with scripted events overlapping and interrupting each other, that it will be enough for it to get a lot of well-deserved attention. So long as it feels open enough, less like the brilliant dioramas of Uncharted and more in the direction of something that encourages exploration (even if it's just the "feel" of that freedom), I'll be incredibly happy with it.

I really hope the writing is more than just good character interactions, which is always there in Naughty Dog titles, and has something that's thought provoking in its own right, but I won't complain if it doesn't.

-CRASH-

Banned

only thing I can see this game movin gaming forward is in story telling. and citizen Kane isn't beloved for its story, it's legacy is a result of it's filmmaking technical prowess

antitrop

I feel like so long as Last of Us is well executed, in the sense that there aren't generational holdovers like invisible walls that cut off areas that look like you should be able to explore them, or issues with scripted events overlapping and interrupting each other, that it will be enough for it to get a lot of well-deserved attention. So long as it feels open enough, less like the brilliant dioramas of Uncharted and more in the direction of something that encourages exploration (even if it's just the "feel" of that freedom), I'll be incredibly happy with it.

I really hope the writing is more than just good character interactions, which is always there in Naughty Dog titles, and has something that's thought provoking in its own right, but I won't complain if it doesn't.

I have a feeling I will have a lot more fun talking about the story and ending of The Last of Us than I did with Bioshock Infinite. I'm certainly expecting them to try and do something a little more interesting with the plot than just the characterization of Uncharted.

I thought the finer plot points of Bioshock Infinite were very poorly executed, despite my fanatic level of appreciation for the thematic setting and gameplay.

I hope and expect Last of Us to be the "total" package.

I have a feeling things will play out the same way they did in the reviews thread. This will get an 8/10 and people will freak, but in a few months or weeks after the "honeymoon period" (as some have been calling it) has ended, lots of people will begin to point out flaws until people flat out hate the game. I'm excited though; I'm very interested to see where this story takes us!

Amir0x

Banned
I think it's the listen mode is what the reviewers will have an issue with. I bet a lot will say it broke the game and would have preferred that it didn't exist.
I'm expecting plenty of 7/10's and your typical "why did ND have to waste their time on MP".

haha you're crazy if you think this game is going to get a 7/10 by "plenty" of reviewers. This is a newly minted "AAA" game experience, and so by default reviewers only use the 8.5-10.0 scale.

The game will metacritic average at 91.

Top Bottom