• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Neil Blomkamp's Chappie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between the charming Copley performance, the ingenious visuals, the absolutely incredible all-electronic Hans Zimmer score, and the propulsive narrative thrust, there is a lot to appreciate and even love about "Chappie."

You'll be told repeatedly in whispers and shouts, that Chappie has feelings. It's too bad that neither the philosophy nor the pyrotechnics on-screen in "Chappie" can distract you from your own sinking feeling that you've seen almost all of this before.

Chappie is a bucket of bolts, Blomkamp's desire to say meaningful things outdistancing his ability to say them compellingly.

After the surprise and promise of District 9, this represents a further downward step for director Neill Blomkamp in the wake of the highly uneven Elysium.

A robot-themed action movie that winds up feeling as clunky and confused as the childlike droid with which it shares its name.

Excruciating...They gave the "Alien" franchise to this guy?

Dodgy as it is, there's a nobility and honor to 'Chappie.' Like Copley's probably divisive but game turn, it's committed to a vision.

Currently at 14% on RT

More like Crappie, amirite?

EDIT: In all seriousness, this is pretty sad. District 9 is legitimately one of the best sci-fi films of the last 30 years.

rekameohs

Banned

avgn_spit180ur4.gif

Saw it coming from a mile after Elysium. I feel he is trying way too hard to milk the emotional elements from district 9(that made it so great) in every movie.

harSon

Banned
It's simple ya'll.

Blomkamp writing = terrible movie more times than not.

I was kind of hoping they managed to salvage what I had seen last Summer at a viewing since I'm a huge fan of Science Fiction, but it looks like they went down with the ship...

Savitar

If you've seen the various commercials none of this would be a surprise.

I rather watch Short Circuit again.

It's simple ya'll.

Blomkamp writing = terrible movie more times than not.

I was kind of hoping they managed to salvage what I had seen last Summer at a viewing since I'm a huge fan of Science Fiction, but it looks like they went down with the ship...

Aren't we lucky Blomkamp is currently writing the new Alien film... lol.

duckroll

Ouch. I was really hoping this would be a great rebound as a smaller and more personal film after Elysium, but this early vibe is looking bad!

UberTag

Johnny Five is not alive?!?
Guess it's time to rewatch Short Circuit again instead of shelling out money on this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
14% wow.. The previews I saw made it look somewhat interesting and I was planning to give it a shot on the strength of district 9.

Maybe not.

I didn't expect the film to get universal acclaim, but these early reviews are surprising. A shame since I enjoyed District 9 and thought this was going to be another good one.

I'm starting to see this guy as somewhat the same as that Donnie Darko guy. One movie made good by accident. What followed was... yeah.

aku:jiki

I'm still hoping that this is a case of most critics not getting it. They wouldn't be the first people to ever be turned off by Die Antwoord's antics...

Yes but usually when theres only 8 reviews, movies like this sit at above 80 or even 100, not 16.

Well, I imagine it varies, depending on the reviewer and order in which they are submitted. Although, you're right that this usually predicts an overall low score. I'm just a little hesitant, that's all (perhaps even a little too hopeful). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom