• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Neil Blomkamp's Chappie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quoting myself from the other thread:

I went in expecting to be disappointed and horribly frustrated with the movie, the reviews made it sound like it leaned more towards juvenile and stupid antics. I was however, pleasantly surprised, very much so.

The script has some really contrived and convenient plot-points that felt forced in the grand scheme of moving any plot along. But, the emotional core of the movie was substantial enough for it to feel unique and interesting. I really enjoyed seeing the language and structure of the scenes evolve with Chappie himself. The movie starts out very slow and aimless, but as Chappie grows, it becomes more intense and more precise in what all scenes are trying to convey.

The big part I really enjoyed, is that the movie dares to be unique and odd. Nothing is held back, Die Antwoord are in full effect and the soundtrack jumps back and forth. The movie could've been incredibly annoying and juvenile, but it allows the weirdness to flourish and convey what the movie is trying to tell, rather than holding it back to be used as visual gimmicks.

Only part I didn't like was Hugh Jackman's character, which was only written as the antagonist with nothing else added. Much like the plot-points, he too is horribly practical and contrived. Nothing he does or says makes any sense in the universe the movie has built, he's just conveniently evil and shortsighted.

I also actually really liked Ninja, I thought he felt natural in the role. During some scenes, I was thinking "I'm pretty sure he did this scene a lot of times just to get the facial expression right".

I can totally understand if people aren't sold on it, but I can definitely see this becoming a cult-movie. I also saw it with a friend who loved it to heaven and back. She couldn't stop gushing when we were walking home.

Care to elaborate for those of us who haven't seen it?

Yeah DC is awful, so many unnecessary scenes that serve no purpose and title-cards in between that tries to make it easier to "understand" the movie.

DD has always been about interpreting it yourself, as all different ways indicate what part of the story you enjoyed the most. Some people see it as a movie about depression and schizophrenia, some see it as a movie about selfless sacrifices and some see it as a science-fiction movie about alternate universes.

Friend of mine said this was like watching a movie about robot Jar-Jar Binks who kills people.

He thinks Dev Patel's character should have died in the beginning to prevent Chappie from existing.

Akahige

Might give in and see this tuesday since the tickets are cheaper that day, not sure.
The director's cut basically proves the director had no real understanding of why Donnie Darko worked in the first place. It overexplains everything and what it explains is hilariously silly.
Editors on that movie must have been working overtime to get the film to turn out the way it did because the DC is a damn mess in comparison.

AwShucks

I loved it. The person who had a friend compare it to jar jar is odd. Chappie is learning. He isn't just some goofy clumsy thing. I thought Die Antwoord did good as well.

Man I honestly don't know what some of the critics are thinking. Very enjoyable.

adelante

Saw this last night with my girl. It was decent....until it took a nosedive towards the end. Fuckin WOW. I probably have missed something but
Why didn't Chappie rush Deon to a hospital or something? Nevermind the whole bullshit about the extraction and transferring of human consciouness (and the fact that you could fit a human brain into a thumbdrive) but when Chappie kept on blabbering frantically about it AND Deon didn't seem to mind....i don't know. I felt that it would have been a much better ending had it been about an ethical dilemma...Deon protesting NOT to be transferred into a robot body and then struggling to grasp the reality once his conciousness has been transferred.

rexor0717

Chappie has now surpassed Speed Racer (39%) and is fast approaching Miami Vice (47%).

1lrvSNr.jpg

How is the Life Aquatic considered bad? The fuck is this.

Deadstar

Saw this last night with my girl. It was decent....until it took a nosedive towards the end. Fuckin WOW. I probably have missed something but
Why didn't Chappie rush Deon to a hospital or something? Nevermind the whole bullshit about the extraction and transferring of human consciouness (and the fact that you could fit a human brain into a thumbdrive) but when Chappie kept on blabbering frantically about it AND Deon didn't seem to mind....i don't know. I felt that it would have been a much better ending had it been about an ethical dilemma...Deon protesting NOT to be transferred into a robot body and then struggling to grasp the reality once his conciousness has been transferred.

You're telling me that if you had the chance to live as a human for an average lifespan you would choose that over living forever as a robot? Personally I would go full robot.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
How is the Life Aquatic considered bad? The fuck is this.

I want to know this aswell. In what universe is Life Aquatic considered bad?! Sure, you might not like Wes Anderson but that's a damn good movie.

Lucius86

Banned
I really enjoyed this film! I didn't like the ending, and some plot points were overly contrived, but I came away surprised. I think some of the reviews are being a bit too harsh.

Senoculum

Film was surprisingly watchable. I absolutely hated Elysium, terrible plotting, piss poor storytelling, atrocious editing, the whole thing was awful.

Chappie on the other hand was smarter, fun, slick, and touching at times- it even played off the themes a lot better than Disritict 9 and Elysium combined (even if it felt on the nose sometimes). Some of the pacing got weird near the end; but it's a cool movie that moves speedily enough (with another bombastically awesome score from Hans Zimmer). Everyone's performance was also great, and I like how they layered the antagonists.

If the movie had less slow motion, it would have been a lot better.

Eh, opinions. I haven't seen it yet, but he loved District 9 and liked Elysium, so he was a bit predisposed to liking Chappie. Thought it was far worse than Elysium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom