• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Neil Blomkamp's Chappie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The strength of District 9 is that it toed close to the documentary style and because the aliens couldn't say things in English, it forced Blomkamp to consider how to convey a story efficiently and logically.

For a more conventional style of film, I get the impression Blomkamp is still too inexperienced (amateurish) in the plotting and dialog department.

whipihguh

Banned
I kind of figured reviews to be a little mixed, but damn, 14% is a pretty bad spot to open out on.

I was cautiously hopeful this movie would be good, too. I still want my District 9 sequel, but maybe I should just consider D9 a lucky fluke and be grateful it was as good as it was.

munchie64

The strength of District 9 is that it toed close to the documentary style and because the aliens couldn't say things in English, it forced Blomkamp to consider how to convey a story efficiently and logically.

For a more conventional style of film, I get the impression Blomkamp is still too inexperienced (amateurish) in the plotting and dialog department.
That's a very reasonable way of looking at it.

To be fair, there are still more reviews that haven't been added, like TheFilmStage's review.

http://thefilmstage.com/reviews/review-chappie/
Blomkamp has failed to live up to his debut’s potential in the years since, bricking heavily with the overly plotted yet dull Elysium and once again missing the mark with his third feature, Chappie, a tonally bi-polar disappointment that dilutes an intriguing concept with silliness disguised as superficially “thought-provoking” genre storytelling.

If handled by a different filmmaker, Chappie’s inherent goofiness could’ve been mined for self-aware laughs and channeled into a genre mash-up, a more intelligent and visually advanced Short Circuit. But, just like in Elysium, Blomkamp misses the humor that so obviously dominates his material. Rather than having any fun with the idea of a talking hip-hop robot, he wrongly accentuates the self-seriousness and treats Chappie like it’s high-stakes drama.

Is Blomkamp the guy you want revitalizing Ellen Ripley and H.R. Giger’s monstrous extra-terrestrial creatures, though? If there’s one thing that Chappie confirms, it’s that Blomkamp does know how to stage the occasional showstopper of an action set-piece—the film’s climax is a brutal, surprisingly gruesome firefight during which the director finally delivers on the promises he initiated in District 9. By that point in this nearly two-hour misfire, however, it’s too late for him to start going for broke. Blomkamp is a visionary effects overseer who unjustifiably fancies himself as a double threat of both narrative and spectacle, but Chappie proves otherwise. He’s not only the new Richard Kelly, he’s the second coming of M. Night Shyamalan, an undeniably gifted director whose biggest flaw is the inability to give his fingers a rest and let better screenwriters take over.

Dryk

Chappie doesn't got stories after all?

I'm starting to see this guy as somewhat the same as that Donnie Darko guy. One movie made good by accident. What followed was... yeah.
Some people only have a few stories in them. Also you see a lot of creatives that come out swinging but can never follow through because the thing that got them noticed was something they'd been working on/stewing on for their entire life.

Lol. Damn Copley is a trooper for not abandoning the Blomkamp mothership once District 9 shot him into the mainstream. I bet he'll be in the new Alien too.

well it's not like he's in high demand for other films. saw him in maleficent and thank god they didn't give him too much screentime.

It all makes sense if you realize that District 9 actually sucks.... I wrote Blomkamp off after those Halo shorts. But, I will watch Chappie with an open mind.

Fitts

You'll be told repeatedly in whispers and shouts, that Chappie has feelings. It's too bad that neither the philosophy nor the pyrotechnics on-screen in "Chappie" can distract you from your own sinking feeling that you've seen almost all of this before.

johnny5andoffensiveracialstereotype.jpg

I attended a free screening tonight and saw this, it was just ok. I love robots, scifi, AI, etc so its totally in my wheelhouse but it felt like a badly done version of Short Circuit. Great fight scenes, Chappie was awesome, virtually all the human characters were terrible and there was too many plot holes to take it seriously as a science-themed movie. Some of the AI stuff was straight out of bad NCIS youtube videos. Hugh Jackman and Dev Patel were just atrocious, both written and acted.

Chappie itself was pretty awesome though, wish they focused more of the movie on him and less on the humans. I'd say worth a watch at home when it comes out on Netflix/Redbox but I wouldn't bother going to the theater to see it.

Frog-fu

Banned
Almost seems like those critics had an axe to grind, and that certainly happens on occasion in the industry, where a director is simply thrown to the lions. I've never put much stock in RT so I'm reserving judgment.

Toa TAK

Banned
Chappie itself was pretty awesome though, wish they focused more of the movie on him and less on the humans. I'd say worth a watch at home when it comes out on Netflix/Redbox but I wouldn't bother going to the theater to see it.

Wait, the movie doesn't put most of its screentime on the titular character? =\

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I attended a free screening tonight and saw this, it was just ok. I love robots, scifi, AI, etc so its totally in my wheelhouse but it felt like a badly done version of Short Circuit. Great fight scenes, Chappie was awesome, virtually all the human characters were terrible and there was too many plot holes to take it seriously as a science-themed movie.

Spoil me the ending?

Trickster

Not surprised based on the trailer I saw. Looked like movie that tries to do something we've already seen done a hundred times with regards to humanizing an AI/machine. Only it tries way to hard at it, while having a bad cast ( die antword, really? )

Almost seems like those critics had an axe to grind, and that certainly happens on occasion in the industry, where a director is simply thrown to the lions. I've never put much stock in RT so I'm reserving judgment.

that could also be the case, there's been quite a few times where I've enjoyed a 20-30% RT movie.

but with blomkamp if the reviews aren't saying he's changed his style or improved then i know what i'm getting into with this film and it seems like i'll be skipping it.

To be fair, there are still more reviews that haven't been added, like TheFilmStage's review.

Blomkamp has failed to live up to his debut’s potential in the years since, bricking heavily with the overly plotted yet dull Elysium and once again missing the mark with his third feature, Chappie, a tonally bi-polar disappointment that dilutes an intriguing concept with silliness disguised as superficially “thought-provoking” genre storytelling.

If handled by a different filmmaker, Chappie’s inherent goofiness could’ve been mined for self-aware laughs and channeled into a genre mash-up, a more intelligent and visually advanced Short Circuit. But, just like in Elysium, Blomkamp misses the humor that so obviously dominates his material. Rather than having any fun with the idea of a talking hip-hop robot, he wrongly accentuates the self-seriousness and treats Chappie like it’s high-stakes drama.

Is Blomkamp the guy you want revitalizing Ellen Ripley and H.R. Giger’s monstrous extra-terrestrial creatures, though? If there’s one thing that Chappie confirms, it’s that Blomkamp does know how to stage the occasional showstopper of an action set-piece—the film’s climax is a brutal, surprisingly gruesome firefight during which the director finally delivers on the promises he initiated in District 9. By that point in this nearly two-hour misfire, however, it’s too late for him to start going for broke. Blomkamp is a visionary effects overseer who unjustifiably fancies himself as a double threat of both narrative and spectacle, but Chappie proves otherwise. He’s not only the new Richard Kelly, he’s the second coming of M. Night Shyamalan, an undeniably gifted director whose biggest flaw is the inability to give his fingers a rest and let better screenwriters take over.

Sold.

Booshka

This guy should have made a R rated Halo movie. Man, District 9 was so good, one hit wonder it seems. Still interested in this movie, I'll wait until I can rent it.

Draconian

that could also be the case, there's been quite a few times where I've enjoyed a 20-30% RT movie.

but with blomkamp if the reviews aren't saying he's changed his style or improved then i know what i'm getting into with this film and it seems like i'll be skipping it.

Did you really just go from "lol Blomkamp won't make 3 good films in his entire career" to "I've disagreed with RT before. It might be good" over the course of one page in this thread?

I liked both District 9 and Elysium, so Im pretty sure I will like this too.
A rated R movie with some cool action CG seems to be rare these days and something I wanna see.
Neil has taught me to accept aliens and poor people and now I will learn to accept artificial intelligence.

Patapwn

They have a better track record than game critics.

I don't know about that. Movies are by their very nature more subjective in review than the more technical video game. Critics of the latter have a greater degree of objective criticisms in aspects like visual fidelity, AI, gameplay mechanics etc. There's always some crazy outliers for a number of reasons but for the most part, even if you disagree with a reviewer, one would probably read their breakdown and agree that it captures what the game is. In this way, I've read many video game reviews and rarely left feeling like there was some complete disconnect between my opinion and theirs or that they were just full of shit and sucked at the game.

No so for movie reviews. I've watched movies that I enjoyed yet mr. I-have-a-movie-blog is going to town on it. Good movies, at least IMO, always have a decent size of dissenters which i just don't really see in gaming.

This guy should have made a R rated Halo movie. Man, District 9 was so good, one hit wonder it seems. Still interested in this movie, I'll wait until I can rent it.

Blomkamp would have made a shit HALO film. His style really never struck me as suiting that universe and the shorts only confirmed that for me.

Lime

I never understood why they would ever name a multi-million dollar film "Chappie". It sounds so off-putting.

I don't have high hopes for that Alien retcon either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom