• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Seth McFarlane's scifi drama The Orville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://tvline.com/2017/09/05/the-orville-review-fox-seth-macfarlane-sci-fi-outer-space/

Consider this a red alert to TV fans everywhere: Are you expecting Seth MacFarlane’s new Fox series The Orville to be a fun Star Trek parody packed with wall-to-wall jokes? Two words of advice: Abandon ship.

Despite what Fox’s official site claims, The Orville — premiering this Sunday at 8/7c — is not a “hilarious comedy.” It’s not even a comedy. Yes, there are a few Family Guy-esque punchlines scattered throughout, but as bafflingly as this sounds, The Orville is mostly a straightforward drama… and not a very good one, at that. Riddled with sci-fi clichés and paralyzed by a grim self-importance, MacFarlane’s shiny new vessel ends up being a colossal dud that not only fails to take flight, it short-circuits before it even gets out of the docking bay.

The Orville feels like a vanity project, plain and simple, and while it might be fun for MacFarlane to run around shooting phasers and playing Captain Kirk, it’s not much fun to watch.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/tv/artic...pace-with-Orville-12169901.php#photo-14041115

Seth MacFarlane’s new vehicle, “The Orville,” gets a special premiere on Fox on Sunday, Sept. 10, but it is far from being ready for takeoff.

There’s something there or, more to the point, bits and pieces of something there, but it needs work. Boy, does it need work.

Ed Mercer (MacFarlane) is a starship captain without a vessel. He’s had some problems in the past year after he discovered his wife, Kelly (Adrianne Palicki), in bed with a hairless blue alien or, as Ed calls him, “Papa Smurf.”
Why are they selling this as Galaxy Quest the tv show?

Two more:
Uproxx (Sepinwall): Seth MacFarlane’s ‘The Orville’ Isn’t A ‘Star Trek’ Spoof. It’s Just Bad ‘Star Trek’

Humor and drama can peacefully co-exist, even in this kind of setting — the aforementioned Galaxy Quest is both a Trek spoof and one of the better (unofficial) Star Trek movies — but that requires care and effort, where all of this feels slapped together at the last possible minute.

There’s a point in one episode where Captain Mercer tells an alien, “I’m just not gonna try comedy with you.” It’s a strategy that would serve The Orville well — or would if non-comic parts were worth the bother.
USA Today: Seth MacFarlane’s 'Star Trek'-inspired ‘The Orville’ flies off course [2/4]

The jokes are not specific enough to Star Trek, or even the sci-fi genre, to make the series a smart parody like the 1999 film Galaxy Quest. The Orville simply has no point of view, other than reverence for Star Trek. It was, and there are moments of The Orville that seem truly inspired, such as its third episode, which uses its sci-fi setting to (literally) put gender stereotypes on trial. But the episode doesn't follow through or say anything unique.

Instead, The Orville feels like a series that sounded good on paper — “Star Trek with Seth MacFarlane!” — but lost its way in the execution. The end result is more confusing than entertaining, and, with a genuine Star Trek series hitting CBS All Access later this month, feels unnecessary.
It's a bad review from what seems to be a bad writer who can't convey their ideas effectively.

This has massive flop written all over it. I just listened to Sepinwall slam it on his podcast. He made it sound truly dreadful.

Mugsy

Well damn, I was hoping for a show that went on the line between comedy and legitimate scifi show getting the best of both worlds. It sounds like they ended up failing at both though.

brian577

Banned
I'll withhold judgement until I see the episodes written by Star Trek alumni. Guessing they've only seen MacFarlane written pilot

Gorillaz

oh wow a part of me was wondering of it would be played straight more then we thought but damn it's suppose to be a drama?

Xe4

Banned
Wait, it's not a comedy?!?
Are we sure the jokes aren't so bad they just don't hit at all?
Cause boy oh boy did the series make it seem like a parody of Star Trek ala Galaxy Quest.
I'm not surprised. The only McFarlane properties I liked were the first Ted movie and pre cancellation Family Guy.

jb1234

I'll watch it for the "grandiose orchestral score" (because how often do we get that in television these days?) but yeah, this is gonna bomb hard.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Haha, WHAT?! This isn't a comedy?!

I don't... I mean... what...

louiedog

It looks expensive and Jon Favreau directed the pilot. It kills me that Fox seems willing to put so many more resources behind this than CBS will probably give to Star Trek, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Cipherr

Just give me the new Star Trek. Im finally going to watch a Star Trek show after being the only hardcore sci fi fan that hasn't seen a single series.

Im dying for it at this point.

Please be well written.

berzeli

Banned
Slayven, you left out the best bits:
TV Line
like in Episode 3, when the birth of an alien baby leads to a long and ponderous debate about gender identity. That might be a worthwhile discussion to have… just maybe not on a Seth MacFarlane show.

SF Chronicle:
But only if MacFarlane weren’t trying to make something he doesn’t seem to know much about: A “dramedy.”

You probably have a better idea of what that is than MacFarlane. It is not just a smattering of legitimately funny lines, and a few more unfunny lines tossed on top of a rather unremarkable drama. In a real dramedy, created by people who know what they’re doing, comedy and drama are carefully woven together, the humor and seriousness refract and modify each other. See “Transparent.” See “Orange Is the New Black.”
I'll withhold judgement until I see the episodes written by Star Trek alumni. Guessing they've only seen MacFarlane written pilot
They've seen at least three episodes.

Previous

check out my new Swatch

The reviews talks about episodes 2 & 3, those were directed by Robert Duncan McNeill and Brannon Braga.
Episode 5 has Jonathan Frakes stepping over the directors chair, so maybe there is hope.

Alienous

every Seth McFarlane project feels like a vanity project

Patrice O'Neal said it best - "I got a critique about Seth ... it's too much ... Seth. It's almost like he's jealous of his own creation, where he wants to prove 'I'm better than the cartoons', but he's not better than the cartoons."

But if he wants to appear in a Star Trek parody he's certainly made enough money to do it, despite how good it ends up being.

If the Orville isn't a comedy then how is it even legal? I assumed that the only way they could rip off Star Trek this closely is because Parody is covered under copyright law

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Are you telling me a project where the lead writer is also the main character might not be all that great? I'm shocked

diunxx

I don't get this, they obviously believe that a sci-fi comedy would attract people more than whatever this is...so why not just do a sci fi comedy?

Adrianne can't catch a break

I remember when she was going to be Wonder Woman.

I don't get this, they obviously believe that a sci-fi comedy would attract people more than whatever this is...so why not just do a sci fi comedy?

I'm sure higher ups at Fox were like we trust him and then they saw the first few cuts and went "fuck, I thought this was going to be a parody Seth, we already put together the ads."

ouch, why do they keep giving this guy money?

Because Family Guy was such a hit, that's and he probably a great guy to work with too.

He was EASILY the worst part of Logan Lucky.

It was close, Hillary Swank & her weird voice thing felt out of place too. I didn't hate any performance in that film though. I have no doubt that MacFarlane is going to be cast in another Soderbergh film however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom