• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Seth McFarlane's scifi drama The Orville

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyp3rlink

I enjoyed the first episode. And it is not at all a Star Trek parody or sci-fi spoof; it is more like a Star Trek clone with Macfarlane's casual humor and dialogues.

First episode has a lot of room for improvement in acting, writing, directing.... but I still liked the central sci-fi premise and will surely watch the next few episodes.

I guess the only people who are disappointed are the ones who were expecting Galaxy Quest: The Show.

Chronoja

Saw the first episode, man this is frustrating, it's clearly made by people who understood and appreciate Star Trek at its core, then ruined it with the forced attempts at humour, it just makes it feel so inconsistent tonally. I'm really hoping this is like an "ice breaking" phase and it fades out because the show has some potential. Nothing wrong with it being somewhat unconventional just that if it keeps up it's the kind of thing that would get old pretty fast, feels like the comedy if it's going to stay needs to be less "set-piece" and more intelligently woven into the dialogue.

With people really wanting an authentic old style (pre-abrams) Star Trek experience they could be sitting on a winner but to get this close and miss the mark would just render it a real shame. Will just have to see how it pans out.

I actually enjoyed the pilot, but it's a weird show. It's got humor and it's a bit more serious than you'd expect from McFarlane, but I wouldn't say it leans more in either direction. Anyway, I will give this a couple more episodes to see if I'll stick with it. Also, the CG, effects, and whatnot were much better than I expected.

This is definitely Star Trek, and I didn't hate it. But Macfarlane's jokes are intrusive and make the tone inconsistent and weird. It's like that awkward friend who's always making inappropriate jokes when everybody else is trying to do work. And the concept of the episode wasn't too ambitious, especially compared to previous Trek pilots. It's less concerned with being sci-fi than it is with interpersonal relationships and occasional toilet humor.

Still, I got the feeling I used to get from Trek pilots, seeing a new crew assemble and interact. I'll be interested to see where the season goes. If it's more episodes that resemble filler TNG or VOY episodes, then it's gonna get old fast.

Dishwalla

Banned
Feel like this should've been a movie in the vein of A Million Ways to Die in the West rather than a TV show. Really don't see this lasting too long.

Feel like this should've been a movie in the vein of A Million Ways to Die in the West rather than a TV show. Really don't see this lasting too long.

That's how I feel about a lot of shows. In fact, I think most procedurals would greatly benefit from this. Many procedurals have a neat(ish) gimmick, but after the first couple episodes, the gimmick begins to wear off and the show settles into sameyness and goes through the motions. If it was a solo movie, it might actually be better received and be considered clever or unique.

berzeli

Banned
Against my better judgement I fell for peer pressure and made an ot, which I summarily failed to post in the right forum. Basically what I'm saying is that Orville inspires that failure which resides in all of us.
Use the ot with care.
xoxo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom