• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox 360 images released

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks absolutely great on 360, I wonder how the performance will turn out and I hope DF will make an analysis on this version, too.
I am absolutely planning to do that. Unfortunately, we do not have the 360 version and will likely have to obtain it ourselves in order to do the comparison.

I'm almost finished with my XO coverage, though, which will go up on review day, I believe. This time the analysis video is...20 minutes long. So, yeah, lots to see.

FyreWulff

People are rediscovering games can look great on older hardware when the port is worked on by a team that gives a shit about what they are doing.

c0de

I am absolutely planning to do that. Unfortunately, we do not have the 360 version and will likely have to obtain it ourselves in order to do the comparison.

I'm almost finished with my XO coverage, though, which will go up on review day, I believe. This time the analysis video is...20 minutes long. So, yeah, lots to see.

Really looking forward to it, though your post from Just Cause regarding 1080p Xbone games and their performance could also be related to TR so I guess we can expect some dropped frames. I hope it's not too bad because I think the game looks absolutely gorgeous.

c0de

People are rediscovering games can look great on older hardware when the port is worked on by a team that gives a shit about what they are doing.

Is there a "not" missing? And yes, many last gen ports were just horrible. Not enough resources went into them, making the games even worse than they already are on the old hardware.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ugh, those screenshots are just excellent. They really did a great job scaling down everything.

It almost looks like the XB1 version is an up port and the 360 version could be confused as the base game.

Archurro

A developer makes a great port because:
a) they're given enough time
b) they're funded well enough
c) the current gen code-base isn't a mess

"giving a shit" doesn't do jack shit, I can assure you.

c0de

Ugh, those screenshots are just excellent. They really did a great job scaling down everything.

It almost looks like the XB1 version is an up port and the 360 version could be confused as the base game.

Basically what PC ports were last gen. Higher IQ, higher res, more detailed textures, more polygons, better lighting, better almost everything.

FyreWulff

I should also add "when the publisher cares, too."

At least they're not burying this like they did Titanfall 360. It's more impressive when you let developers flex their skill in public.

Get out of here with your knowledge of software development. We want to shit on the developers who have to work with 8 year old hardware, janky legacy codebases, and generally being the redheaded stepchildren of the companies they work for.

barit

Interesting thread. Now I know why ZhugEX was banned :p

OT: screens looking almost identical (on my tiny phone lol). No really the X360 shots looking fine and if performance is above 25fps for the most time than all those (dozen) X360 owners will be happy TR players later this year. Nixxes seems to be a very talented studio

33lpgs9.jpgfkoxc.gif

Theorry

Not sure if that positive and negative. The teasing. :p

It's amazing. We've got so caught up in defending developers, people have gone way too far. This post is a great example, but I've seen it a lot recently - seems to be that people think there's no actual skill involved, and that had you given Beenox the same time, money and code as Bluepoint to port Titanfall to 360, or as Nixxes got for ROTTR, you would have got the same exact port.

Bollocks. I'm sure Beenox worked with some horrible restrictions yadda yadda yadda. But it still takes skill to port games, and every indication is that some studios demonstrate this to a far greater degree than others. Not saying "lazy devs", but regardless of the reasons for it, Beenox has done a shit job of porting BLOPS3. And had it been a better dev in that situation, with all of the other factors considered, we would have seen a better game. I'm absolutely certain of that. The screenshot where a tank has been replaced with a pathetic van just about sums up things.

Basically, to excuse shoddy port work also detracts from the astonishing efforts of those studios who consistently put out great ports. Nixxes is clearly fast becoming one of them, so give them the credit they're due.

FaintDeftone

This is fantastic news for folks who haven't gotten the chance to jump on the new generation of consoles. As long as the game hasn't been altered or sections cut out of the game, it looks like Xbox 360 owners have a very worthwhile game here.

This is fantastic news for folks who haven't gotten the chance to jump on the new generation of consoles. As long as the game hasn't been altered or sections cut out of the game, it looks like Xbox 360 owners have a very worthwhile game here.

An interview from a week or so back stated that the two versions were feature-identical or something of the sort, so I think it's all good. Wondering about performance though!

Edit: posted in this very topic! "No difference outside of graphical fidelity"

http://www.finder.com/rotr-xbox-one-vs-xbox-360

I've played a bit of it. Performance seems solid, it doesn't look like it's dropping any frames though I'm only about 2 hours or so into it. And yeah, looks really good for the hardware.

I am shocked by how similar it looks to Xbox One's version. They might claim otherwise, but i honestly believe if this had been a current gen only game, it would have looked even better. Many of the footage looks awesome, but there are definitely places you can clearly see the last gen on it, especially that snow hub area.

Sayad

You say this, but then you see ports like Silent Hill collection where, obviously, neither the developer or publisher gave a shit. It was under development for longer than most ports, got delayed, and got a lot of post release patches, yet still looked and ran worse than a PS2 game.
Hell both SH2 and SH3 had excellent PC ports, but instead of taking that version and porting it like most other developers, they ported an unfinished PS2 build! You can't possibly say that they gave a shit, yet went ahead with that.

NeoRaider

I am positively surprised by how great Xbox 360 version looks, but i have to say that i expected it. It's Nixxes.

Woah those Xbox 360 screenshots look much better than I expected. If the frame rate is great too, I will eventually pick up this game.
It is good. I would like to add the sound design is fantastic. I was hearing windchimes I wasn't sure were coming from the game or outside my house on my built in TV speakers. Can't imagine how nice it would be on my sound system. On the whole though, fantastic port. Rare frame drops during heavy destruction or explosions but on the whole, it's got me immersed as the first game. If you're still on last gen or don't have an Xbox One, I can't recommend it enough.

kodecraft

Rise of the Tomb Raider never seemed to have many graphical improvements over TR 2013.

And it didn't need any. TR 2013 was awesome, Rise of the Tomb Raider is just more of that.

JayB1920

Sorry for the horrible quality screengrabs but this gives an idea of some more lighting/shadow differences. The Xbox one is so atmospheric in comparison. Xbox one is on bottom.

5edMYIF.jpg

e677TdU.png

360 version looking good right here.

Might just get this for 360, instead of waiting for the PS4 version to come out. Or at least get the 360 version on the cheap later on.

Archurro

It's amazing. We've got so caught up in defending developers, people have gone way too far. This post is a great example, but I've seen it a lot recently - seems to be that people think there's no actual skill involved, and that had you given Beenox the same time, money and code as Bluepoint to port Titanfall to 360, or as Nixxes got for ROTTR, you would have got the same exact port.

Bollocks. I'm sure Beenox worked with some horrible restrictions yadda yadda yadda. But it still takes skill to port games, and every indication is that some studios demonstrate this to a far greater degree than others. Not saying "lazy devs", but regardless of the reasons for it, Beenox has done a shit job of porting BLOPS3. And had it been a better dev in that situation, with all of the other factors considered, we would have seen a better game. I'm absolutely certain of that. The screenshot where a tank has been replaced with a pathetic van just about sums up things.

Basically, to excuse shoddy port work also detracts from the astonishing efforts of those studios who consistently put out great ports. Nixxes is clearly fast becoming one of them, so give them the credit they're due.

I'm not defending Beenox nor am I discrediting Nixxes. BLOPS3 port looks like and probably is crap. But I assure you they probably put in 60+ hour work weeks making that version of the game. They didn't make a shit port because "they didn't care about the game" or because "they were lazy."

I'm not defending Beenox nor am I discrediting Nixxes. BLOPS3 port looks like and probably is crap. But I assure you they probably put in 60+ hour work weeks making that version of the game. They didn't make a shit port because "they didn't care about the game" or because "they were lazy."

I absolutely agree with you on that. Developers aren't lazy. I would love a DF interview with Beenox to find out what went on, but I guess for many reasons that'll never happen, sadly.

That looks like a really good port. Viewing the pictures on my phone, without blowing them up, it's actually hard to tell which is which.

I'm sure the difference is much greater when viewed in high bitrate on a big screen, though.

I look forward to play it on my Xbone.

Top Bottom