• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox 360 images released

c0de

Graphics are not even my primary concern, because I assume the PC version will look better at higher settings. The game design itself however will remain identical, and possibly because of a console released in 2005.
I'll let that sink in.

And still I fail to see where this will happen. Last try: what is current gen game design that other current gen games do and this game doesn't? What are criteria that makes you say “that's current gen“?

TheYanger

I think you vastly underestimate how complex this game is from a purely tech standpoint. Its atrocious showing on old gen is expected and dare I say normal.

If the game is identical design wise then it can only lead me to conclude the 360 holds it back. I maintain, you have to be more ambitous on a modern platform. If they have taken their design to a new level the 360 should miss design goals, we will see if this is the case.
There are many games which would not run on 360/PS3, take Mad Max for example, or Dying Light. Last-gen versions canned not to compromise the modern skus, I fear this TR may have to compromise heavily in order for a 360 version to exist. That is unless they refuse to let such an old console hamstring them.

As a sidenote I never implied I didn't like the game, why are you resorting to such pitiful strawman ? I'm very much enjoying what I see, but I can't help but feel disappointed by the mere existence of a 360 version.

Graphics are not even my primary concern, because I assume the PC version will look better at higher settings. The game design itself however will remain identical, and possibly because of a console released in 2005.
I'll let that sink in.
By that logic any game that could be reproduced minus the graphics on a last gen console is being held back. That's basically every game on the market.

Kezen

Banned
And still I fail to see where this will happen. Last try: what is current gen game design that other current gen games do and this game doesn't? What are criteria that makes you say “that's current gen“?
A current-gen design is one that the 360 is unequipped to handle, if the two Xbox versions are identical then one can only assume the 360 hold everything back, as I said you can always do more with more.

Just look at modern games which could not ship on last gen systems.

It's that simple.

c0de

A current-gen design is one that the 360 is unequipped to handle, if the two Xbox versions are identical then one can only assume the 360 hold everything back, as I said you can always do more with more.

It's that simple.

So MGS is held back? Forza Horizon 2 was held back? I mean there are several games that didn't get a last gen port but that doesn't mean they weren't possible. Again, perhaps Imagine that 360 version doesn't even exist and enjoy the game.

It's that simple.
You're assuming every game is made with the mindset of not being capable of being downported, as if EVERY current gen games needs to be unportable otherwise it HAS to have been intentionally gimped for last gen. Think about how silly that actually sounds.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm convinced Dying Light and Mad Max were dropped due to not enough return on investment. Both those games could have been downported if the time was put in, but it wasn't financially viable.

scitek

They've said infinity times that they didn't even consider the old version when making the new one and left that up to the port team. When it comes to shit like memory constraints and whatnot, honestly most of it is taken up by stuff like textures, which since they're clearly not using the same assets are kind of irrelevant.

I doubt that's true, and if it is, that's pretty irresponsible of them.

TheYanger

I doubt that's true, and if it is, that's pretty irresponsible of them.

You can doubt it all you want, it doesn't make it any less true. The vast majority of what a more powerful system is actually used for are things like graphics and physics, which rarely impact the actual game design substantially.

Bioshocker

Yay, Xbox 360 lives. I think I'll actually buy it for my 360 when it's cheaper. Probably the last AAA game for the system, right?

Green Yoshi

It’s a bit of a surprise to find a game this deep into a new generation still serving the old one: did you find that you had to restrict the Xbox One game at all to be able to make it also work for an Xbox 360?

MB: No. That’s one of the things I’m really happy about, too. We work with a partner called Nixxes Software and the team there has helped us do a lot of different things over the years, one of which is to beef up graphic fidelity. In fact, Nixxes help with a lot of our graphics programming, but it also solves a lot of the problems that come from trying to be across Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

I’m happy to say the Xbox One and Xbox 360 Rise of the Tomb Raider games are in parity. The experience you’re going to have is no different outside of the graphical fidelity, really. I think our fans will be really happy with that.

http://www.finder.com/rotr-xbox-one-vs-xbox-360

Sounds like the swan song for Xbox 360. Should be the last AAA-title for the console. Almost ten years after its launch in 2005.

So damn excited. Still don't have the money (or, to be honest, the motivation) to move on to current gen, so still rocking a 360 as my main console. Trusting Nixxes to get this port at least working - anything above that i'll consider a bonus, although as long as they're careful iterating on the engine from the reboot, it should be fine.

This game is coming out 9 years and 353 days after the console launched, only 12 days short of the ten year mark. An incredible lifespan for a system - that is the same distance as from the launch of the PS2 in Japan to the release of Battlefield: Bad Company 2, or Sony releasing a first party game on the Vita in November 2021
:'(

Kezen

Banned
d4qDJki.jpg

Looks fantastic for a 360 game. There seems to be subsurface scattering on Lara's pants and the skin shader is surprisingly good.
screen002.jpg

screen003.jpg

Does not seem like native 720p though.

c0de

http://www.finder.com/rotr-xbox-one-vs-xbox-360

Sounds like the swan song for Xbox 360. Should be the last AAA-title for the console. Almost ten years after its launch in 2005.

Yes, it sounds so. I don't think it's really parity, though. Possibly a parity that equaled the parity last gen between PC and consoles. Generally the same game but with more bells and whistles, better IQ and all the stuff that is computative expensive.

d4qDJki.jpg

Looks fantastic for a 360 game. There seems to be subsurface scattering on Lara's pants and the skin shader is surprisingly good.

Does not seem like native 720p though.

God damn that looks great. Please hold up, framerate, please?

I remember the very last cross-gen PS2 titles tended to be horrendous on that format (notably Tomb Raider: Underworld!) and we've already had a few of those on this generation (Shadow of Mordor) so it would be nice for the 360 to get the send off it deserves.

Green Yoshi

God damn that looks great. Please hold up, framerate, please?

I remember the very last cross-gen PS2 titles tended to be horrendous on that format (notably Tomb Raider: Underworld!) and we've already had a few of those on this generation (Shadow of Mordor) so it would be nice for the 360 to get the send off it deserves.
Mercenaries 2 for PS2 was really bad.

Mercenaries 2 for PS2 was really bad.

Yeah, yeah it was. The first one was so good as well. I remember the independent game shop I worked in at the time ordered in an absolute ton of copies of Mercs 2 on all platforms because all three of us who worked there loved the first one (and Pandemic's other titles around then, Battlefront 2 and Destroy All Humans 2). We sold out on day one, and I reckon a full 80% got returned. Everybody HATED it. The PS2 version came in for the most significant disgust, but it was almost certainly the least popular big release we had in my three years there.

Anyway, I'm sure this won't be a repeat of that scenario! It looks fantastic.

I wonder if there's gonna be any controversy over everyone's favorite p-word in that quote, lol

Probably not. Along with everyone else, the concern trolls seem to have mostly given up on going into last-gen specific threads (they all die within a couple of pages) so they'll hopefully never see the quote.

sphinx

the piano man
I am not sure what it is... but everytime I see forest it all looks the same in many different games

I feel like I visited exactly that forest with those mountains and trees several years ago in Alan Wake >_<

damn those unflexible engines.

DOWN

Banned
Cross gen hell. Sucks that the Xbox One version had to be held back into workable 360 range. As implied, it similar to the 2013 vs Definitive Edition difference levels.

ghibli99

Looks pretty damn good to me. I'm glad companies aren't just leaving last-gen in the dust. Still lots of hardware out there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why don't you buy it for Xbox or PC?

I don't have an Xbox One or a PC, and i'm personally not interested in either of those platforms either.

I could technically buy it on 360, but i'd rather get the best version of the platforms i own

I don't have an Xbox One or a PC, and i'm personally not interested in either of those platforms either.

I could technically buy it on 360, but i'd rather get the best version of the platforms i own

I'm not quite sure I understand someone being interested enough in the game to want the best version possible but also not want it enough to wait a year so they can play the second best version?

Inuhanyou

I'm not quite sure I understand someone being interested enough in the game to want the best version possible but also not want it enough to wait a year so they can play the second best version?

I'm not sure what your talking about. I only have a PS4 as a current gen console. I don't care about PC or XB1, and i want Nixxes(who i really respect, and did the ports of the original game) on the port for the platform i own.

What is there to understand? I should be obligated to buy a XB1 because of MS's shitty deals or a PC because "PC is better",just because i want to play the game? Yeah no.

I keep forgetting that the Xbox 360 version even exists, but it looks damn good.

I'll just wait for the PS4 version, though. I'm in no hurry to play it, it'll still be the same (hopefully great) game a year from now.

Replicant

So the sequel still looks as brown and drab as the first rebooted game.

The first game was one of the few games which managed to make Japan looks boring.

Kezen

Banned
I'm not sure what your talking about. I only have a PS4 as a current gen console. I don't care about PC or XB1, and i want Nixxes(who i really respect, and did the ports of the original game) on the port for the platform i own.

What is there to understand? I should be obligated to buy a XB1 because of MS's shitty deals or a PC because "PC is better",just because i want to play the game? Yeah no.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have no interest in the Xbox One (or PS4) and I'll patiently wait for the PC version which should be by far the best looking sku if it scales above the Xbox One.

Inuhanyou

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have no interest in the Xbox One (or PS4) and I'll patiently wait for the PC version which should be by far the best looking sku if it scales above the Xbox One.

Yeah basically. If the game is coming to your preferred platform anyway, i don't see the point of even getting a console for a game just cause it comes out a little earlier on that platform. Your still getting it in the end anyway.

If its not even confirmed to be coming, then that's a different story, but SE could not play by MS's rules forever and expect to have the other customers they wanted to sell to still in a good spot

He doesn't own an Xbox and doesn't want to buy one. What's so hard to understand about that?

I don't understand why you don't just buy it on the 360. I'm not saying you're obligated to buy anything, but I'm in a similar position and I'm certainly not gonna pick up an Xbox One to play this game (can't afford to anyway) but I really, really want to play it - so I'm going to get it on 360 rather than wait a whole year so I can play a slightly better version?

Kezen

Banned
I don't understand why you don't just buy it on the 360. I'm not saying you're obligated to buy anything, but I'm in a similar position and I'm certainly not gonna pick up an Xbox One to play this game (can't afford to anyway) but I really, really want to play it - so I'm going to get it on 360 rather than wait a whole year so I can play a slightly better version?

That might be shocking to you but waiting is not an issue for everyone if the wait is worth it.
There is no shortage of very good games to enjoy in the meantime.

Investing in a console for one game you're very much looking forward to is not worth it, if the game in question is not an exclusive so he's completely right to wait for the better PS4 version.

Yeah basically. If the game is coming to your preferred platform anyway, i don't see the point of even getting a console for a game just cause it comes out a little earlier on that platform. Your still getting it in the end anyway.

If its not even confirmed to be coming, then that's a different story, but SE could not play by MS's rules forever and expect to have the other customers they wanted to sell to still in a good spot

How about a bit of courtesy for those who are buying the game soon and actually want to be talking about the game itself and not a version without any release date and possibly a year away? Some of us are getting a bit tired of the "I'm getting it on PS4" it adds nothing to the discussion and it comes across as a deliberate attempt by some to distract the conversation.

It's coming out on PS4 sometime, we get it, it has been made very very clear.

stryke

How about a bit of courtesy for those who are buying the game soon and actually want to be talking about the game itself and not a version without any release date and possibly a year away? Some of us are getting a bit tired of the "I'm getting it on PS4" it adds nothing to the discussion and it comes across as a deliberate attempt by some to distract the conversation.

It's coming out on PS4 sometime, we get it, it has been made very very clear.

Yeah, seeing how touchy you seem to be about this I decided to look at the genesis of this conversation.

nixxxeesssssssssss

Please work on the PS4 port. PLEASE

That seems like to me he's saying he wants a talented team like Nixxes to work on the PS4 port if it were outsourced and is an acknowledge of their work after seeing 360 screens. Says a lot more than just merely, "I'm getting it on PS4".

Yeah, seeing how touchy you seem to be about this I decided to look at the genesis of this conversation.

That seems like to me he's saying he wants a talented team like Nixxes to work on the PS4 port if it were outsourced and is an acknowledge of their work after seeing 360 screens. Says a lot more than just merely, "I'm getting it on PS4".

How touchy I am ? What a load of crap. Look at the Rise of the Tomb Raider threads, it's full of it , the same thing and what is it adding to the discussion exactly? Nothing.

It's the same retorts over and over, either someone's touchy, someone has a persecution complex or someone is salty. It's laughable garbage.

Top Bottom