• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox 360 images released

emrober5

How touchy I am ? What a load of crap. Look at the Rise of the Tomb Raider threads, it's full of it , the same thing and what is it adding to the discussion exactly? Nothing.

It's the same retorts over and over, either someone's touchy, someone has a persecution complex or someone is salty. It's laughable garbage.

Some people might want to play this game, and don't have an Xbox or strong PC.

Seems logical enough.

Kezen

Banned
I'm sure to you it does yes

Whether you want it or not Rise of the Tomb Raider is only a timed exclusive therefore people are absolutely allowed to express their desire to play it on their platform of choice, be it Xbone, PS4 or PC.
What is shows is that there is a very significant portion of the TR audience which is not interested in playing this on Xbone.

Whether you want it or not Rise of the Tomb Raider is only a timed exclusive therefore people are absolutely allowed to express their desire to play it on their platform of choice, be it Xbone, PS4 or PC.
What is shows is that there is a very significant portion of the TR audience which is not interested in playing this on Xbone.

I have not expressed any desire to see the game timed or under any deal , i didn't like it in the PS2 days, i didn't like it last gen and the same feeling now.

Sami+

I honestly thought that this had been cancelled, lol. Looks good I guess but I don't really get the point.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, you would hope they would actually say why they want to play game, it would be nice

Why don't you buy it for Xbox or PC?

I don't have an Xbox One or a PC, and i'm personally not interested in either of those platforms either.

I could technically buy it on 360, but i'd rather get the best version of the platforms i own

The conversation should have ended there.

Sorry for the bump, but a friend of mine got copies in early at his store, but only 360 copies ATM.

After (roughly) 5 hours of playtime, these are the impressions I have to give.

+ Some of the best visuals on the 360, ever. Right up there with Halo 4 and Crysis 3, some of the texture details are absolutely unbelievable, especially considering it's 10 year old hardware pushing it. Those screenshots are completely representative of what it looks like.

+ FPS dips in heavy combat scenarios, as to be expected, and one and only one drop to what had to be the mid-teens during a set-piece, but for the most part, it's stable and it's certainly playable.

+ The gameplay is great, the combat is punchy, and the set-pieces kick ass.

+ The story/writing is a little better than TR 2013, but not by a mile or anything too drastic. It's an improvement, but maybe not enough of one for TR 2013 haters to be suede. For what's it's worth though, I'm a fan.

- Puzzles are ridiculously easy.

- Minor input lag appears when going from calm sections to combat.

- There's a very odd setting in the option for a "Broadcast Frame" for live streaming, which I imagine is a holdover from the One version because I can't imagine too many people streaming the 360 version.

+/- Gore isn't really toned down. If you liked it, you'll be happy! If you hated it, you'll be pissed! I'm apart of the former, so it's fine by me!

+/- Online features (whatever they're even supposed to be) aren't functional so I couldn't test it.

yeah, the 360 version leaked on the internet today. So not surprised at the sudden "impressions"
God damn it... I was hoping it wouldn't leak, I run a TR fan blog and this is going to make looking for content to reblog without spoilers near impossible. Damn! :p

Zeta Oni

+/- Gore isn't really toned down. If you liked it, you'll be happy! If you hated it, you'll be pissed! I'm apart of the former, so it's fine by me!

Anything as bad as that one.....

You know which one Im talking about....

Shit caught me so off guard I didn't know what to say. I'd at least like a warning this time, holy crap.

Inuhanyou

>< Nixxes are some of the greatest in the industry. I keep saying it and it just keeps on being true

I may pick up the 360 version just to support them

Anything as bad as that one.....

You know which one Im talking about....

Shit caught me so off guard I didn't know what to say. I'd at least like a warning this time, holy crap.
The branch through the neck?

I did get caught on a ice stalactite when falling and it impaled her through the stomach, but it ended almost immediately after, so not as lingering or graphic.

Not a story spoiler!

Zeta Oni

The branch through the neck?

I did get caught on a ice stalactite when falling and it impaled her through the stomach, but it ended almost immediately after, so not as lingering or graphic.

Not a story spoiler!

Yeah, that one. Was just....brutal in a way I'm not used to. I watch horror movies all the time,
and the way she claws at it after its already through her head haunts me to this day.

Darkangel

Sorry for the bump, but a friend of mine got copies in early at his store, but only 360 copies ATM.

+ Some of the best visuals on the 360, ever. Right up there with Halo 4 and Crysis 3, some of the texture details are absolutely unbelievable, especially considering it's 10 year old hardware pushing it. Those screenshots are completely representative of what it looks like.

+ FPS dips in heavy combat scenarios, as to be expected, and one and only one drop to what had to be the mid-teens during a set-piece, but for the most part, it's stable and it's certainly playable.

+ The story/writing is a little better than TR 2013, but not by a mile or anything too drastic. It's an improvement, but maybe not enough of one for TR 2013 haters to be suede. For what's it's worth though, I'm a fan.

- There's a very odd setting in the option for a "Broadcast Frame" for live streaming, which I imagine is a holdover from the One version because I can't imagine too many people streaming the 360 version.

+/- Online features (whatever they're even supposed to be) aren't functional so I couldn't test it.

Footage of the 360 version is starting to hit youtube and it seriously does look fantastic:

riseofthetombraider367vo5c.gif

riseofthetombraider366upe9.gif

riseofthetombraider362jqi1.gif

I think I'll be getting this on the good old Xbox instead of waiting for the PC version.

Elios83

Nixxes is a good studio that has proven to be capable in the past.
They did a great PS3 port of Underworld when most developers were struggling with Cell and the PS3 split memory.
Also the game runs on the same engine that was used for the TR Reboot that was originally a 360/PS3 game.
I knew the 360 version wouldn't be shit but comparable (with the obvious resolution/lighting/texture quality differences).

Inuhanyou

^ There's already video feeds out there Shinobi, it does look really good! Even though i don't think its 720p...

Nixxes is a good studio that has proven to be capable in the past.
They did a great PS3 port of Underworld when most developers were struggling with Cell and the PS3 split memory.
Also the game runs on the same engine that was used for the TR Reboot that was originally a 360/PS3 game.
I knew the 360 version wouldn't be shit but comparable (with the obvious resolution/lighting/texture quality differences).

The most crazy part is that Crystal Dynamic's lead platform of TR2013 was 360, yet not only was the PC port done by Nixxes stellar, the PS3 version also done by them actually surpassed the original lead platform 360 version in quality,

And this continued on to the PS4 port which they also did!

I hope one day people can really see how good Nixxes truly are in the same light as Bluepoint and Hexadrive

Footage of the 360 version is starting to hit youtube and it seriously does look fantastic:

riseofthetombraider367vo5c.gif

riseofthetombraider366upe9.gif

riseofthetombraider362jqi1.gif

I think I'll be getting this on the good old Xbox instead of waiting for the PC version.
Dam, I guess this will be the 360's swan song. I thought Halo 4 was was gonna be the last game to push the 360 to it's max. Seeing how good this looks makes me think of BO3 on last gen being a hot mess was due to the devs and not because it's purely next gen hardware.

Inuhanyou

Dam, I guess this will be the 360's swan song. I thought Halo 4 was pushing the 360 to it's max. Seeing how good this looks makes me think of BO3 being a hot mess was due to the devs.

But they are different priorities. Tomb Raider is single player, non interactive and largely linear. I'd say it was not comparable in scope to what COD attempts to do with all the different things going on

DukeBobby

Really tempted to pick up the 360 version.

The PC version probably won't be out for another 4-5 months, and I'm in the mood for an action-adventure game to play alongside Fallout 4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really impressed at how this turned out. Was expecting a shitshow after seeing Blops 3 and how little we've heard of this version.

^ There's already video feeds out there Shinobi, it does look really good! Even though i don't think its 720p...

The most crazy part is that Crystal Dynamic's lead platform of TR2013 was 360, yet not only was the PC port done by Nixxes stellar, the PS3 version also done by them actually surpassed the original lead platform 360 version in quality,

I hope one day people can really see how good Nixxes truly are in the same light as Bluepoint and Hexadrive
Wonder if Nixxes is doing the eventual PS4 port next year

HYPE! Looks like we have another winner!

AlStrong

I think the hair looks fine without tressfx. They seem to have improved the specular on it too (vs previous game) - it still has the floaty physics oddly. Snow deformation is out as far as I've watched. Also looks like the cut-scenes/close-ups are maybe pre-rendered (because hair). The glow stick has some pretty awful banding in the video (not just the gif) - probably due to 10-10-10-2...

I think the hair looks fine without tressfx. They seem to have improved the specular on it too (vs previous game) - it still has the floaty physics oddly. Snow deformation is out as far as I've watched. Also looks like the cut-scenes/close-ups are maybe pre-rendered (because hair).

Yep, with you on both. No snow deformation, and those cutscenes are definitely not in engine. But damn it looks so nice. Now to wait 2 weeks before I can buy it... :(

Elios83

Indeed, there's a parallel with BluePoint.

Inuhanyou

Really impressed at how this turned out. Was expecting a shitshow after seeing Blops 3 and how little we've heard of this version.

Wonder if Nixxes is doing the eventual PS4 port next year

I've been hoping for that since i knew the sequel was coming. They do great work,and i would like to see them continue the unlocked FPS nature of the game that they started in DE for PS4, it really did stick close enough to the 50/60 area to feel way smoother than 30.

Ahasverus

What the hell, those are some great visuals, UNBELIEVABLE lightning, and I thought Metal Gear C was going to be 360's swan song!

AlStrong

Yep, with you on both. No snow deformation, and those cutscenes are definitely not in engine. But damn it looks so nice. Now to wait 2 weeks before I can buy it... :(

Makes me wonder if CD shouldn't have done the same for Xbox One just to get it to 1080p (and presumably better AA for a video playback). XD

Top Bottom