• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox 360 images released

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Last gen games are holding up kinda well. This might be a first for gen over gen right?
PS2 and original xbox ports of ps3 and 360 were WAY more toned down than the average crossgen titles this gen especially when it comes to gameplay. The next gen only titles would melt the last gen consoles tho.

dreamfall

Looks really damn good, all these things considered. I hope the game being cross-gen hasn't limited what they're trying to achieve. I'm very excited and will buy an XBO for the game though!

big_z

noticeable difference but not too bad. some games the last gen version looks like complete shit but I guess well have to see how this runs.

It is going to bomb so hard on Xbox 360 its not even funny.

you would be surprised how many people are still on 360. once backwards compatibility is open to the public Microsoft needs to push a trade up program.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't understand. Are the two split-screen images supposed to be before and after versions?

Dr Dogg

Quite a big difference in quality, assets, effects etc between them (screens 2 and 3 specifically) where you can see things like hair quality different (although the 360 version does look better than the playdough look of the non TressFX implementation in the first), foliage and other geometry features toned down or missing entirely, some character shadows missing, possibly different shading models and one very obvious place in screen 3 where the XO has vastly superior ambient occlusion (I'm sure you all looked there!). But for a 360 game it looks great, might even be tempted to pick it up while I wait for a PC release date if the price is right.

jelly

Looks good, obviously can't match the fancy effects etc. of the Xbox One version but from what we've seen the game play is very much looking like the last one which shouldn't be too hard for 360.

Kezen

Banned
Looks incredible really, and this makes me even sadder to see the difference is not very big.

I guess a part of me didn't want to believe it but I have to face reality now : Rise of the Tomb Raider IS a cross gen game through and through.

c0de

Looks incredible really, and this makes me even sadder to see the difference is not very big.

I guess a part of me didn't want to believe it but I have to face reality now : Rise of the Tomb Raider IS a cross gen game through and through.

What do you mean with through and through? Considering what games have released so far, what is the main distinction between last gen and this gen and how is it not present in this game?

Genio88

Looks good it's like a PC game difference between Ultra/High and Low/Medium. Can't wait to play it on Xbox One, but i'm not in a hurry since i'm enjoying the 2015 goty MGSV right now

gogogow

Eh.... resolution, AA solution, framerate?

Even in those screenshots you can already see some big differences, like lower resolution foliage and in some places 90% of the foliage is just removed. Reduced particle effects. Lower quality dirt maps/wet maps. TressFX hair?

Graphically, it does look good for the 360.

thelastword

Banned

Even in those screenshots you can already see some big differences, like lower resolution foliage and in some places 90% of the foliage is just removed. Reduced particle effects. Lower quality dirt maps/wet maps. TressFX hair?

ROTR is looking a bit dated by 2015/16 standards tbh. Even in these small screens foliage looks bad, assets looks low rez and lacking detail, with no proper filtering. It looks like an up-rez version of the last gen games with slightly better lighting, the assets are it's main drawback, they look very iffy.

It's crazy that these screens suppose to look a bit sharper since they're so small, but even these screens have a soft look to them, that's probably muddying things even more. Like I suspected before, I think this game is going to be sub-native.

mcz117chief

It'll bomb even harder on PS3.
TaylorLaughing.gif

ZhugeEX rollin' like a Boss

can't believe people didn't get the joke. It is so obvious it almost hurts

Both versions look great. Very surprised how the 360 version looks, porting magic in full force again I see.

SA007

Banned
I am really amazed to see how this game has been spoiled by these cheap outdated consoles. It will look stunning in pc if not held by these outdated consoles. A modern pc hardware is 10 times powerful than the console peasants.

That statement was just an example to show where stupid talk like that can lead the argument to.
(All those ps3,360 haters well I am not taking their comments seriously because sure they are trolls & their statements means nothing.I even doubt if they love gaming or just want to stare & drool over things that are intangible.)

Anyways the game looks beautiful in both the consoles & hope it plays well too. What matters most is the gameplay. Moreover its really good to see that they are taking so much effort to release it across wider platforms.Hope to see it in ps3 version too. Cheers!

I don't know why some people are so eager for last gen to die. Having a lower-priced system that can still run big releases is great for people with less money, or even people who have less enthusiasm for gaming but still like to play once in a while. It opens our hobby up to a wider audience—without watering it down a la a lot of mobile gaming.

I can understand being frustrated when last-gen ports bring down the quality of next-gen versions, but that doesn't appear to be happening here, so lighten up! :)

I'm reminded of the late 8bit early 16bit era where tons of games were being made for both eras, especially home computers.

It's not like everybody who has a PS360 will upgrade to their current gen counterparts not with mobile competing. I doubt Persona 5 would have been greenlit without the PS3 version.

I don't know why some people are so eager for last gen to die. Having a lower-priced system that can still run big releases is great for people with less money, or even people who have less enthusiasm for gaming but still like to play once in a while. It opens our hobby up to a wider audience—without watering it down a la a lot of mobile gaming.

I can understand being frustrated when last-gen ports bring down the quality of next-gen versions, but that doesn't appear to be happening here, so lighten up! :)

Because we don't want cross-gen games. 10 years was long enough for that product.

It looks good for a 360 game.
Maybe not like the best looking 360 game, but not bad for what it is.

Just need to find out resolution and framerate

Kezen

Banned
What do you mean with through and through? Considering what games have released so far, what is the main distinction between last gen and this gen and how is it not present in this game?
We need more data but so far the difference is not anywhere near as flagrant as I thought it would be, look at Mordor for instance or Advanced Warfare on old vs new consoles. Nothing of the sort here, but as I said more screens are needed.

The delta is clear as day, I'm not disputing that.
My issue is asset related, they're way too close.

But it was obvious right from the start the game was cross-gen, the screens of the 360 version only confirm that fact.

As a sidenote I wonder if the PC version will scale at low as the 360 version for maximum scalability.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It is going to bomb so hard on Xbox 360 its not even funny.

I'ma get it (don't have an XB1)

The delta is clear as day, I'm not disputing that.
My issue is asset related, they're way too close.

But it was obvious right from the start the game was cross-gen, the screens of the 360 version only confirm that fact..

I'm pretty sure CD said early on that ROTTR would be using pretty much the same engine at the first, especially after they saw how well TR:DE did.

Kezen

Banned
I'm pretty sure CD said early on that ROTTR would be using pretty much the same engine at the first, especially after they saw how well TR:DE did.

It's not the "same" engine, no. It has been drastically improved.
Engines always evolve.

I think Rise of the Tomb Raider looks very good overall but unfortunately its cross-gen roots are far too visible. And we are only scratching the surface here : the worst drawback of having a 10 years old console around is that game design also has to accomodate it.

c0de

We need more data but so far the difference is not anywhere near as flagrant as I thought it would be, look at Mordor for instance or Advanced Warfare on old vs new consoles. Nothing of the sort here, but as I said more screens are needed.

But that was only because Mordor for last gen was totally half assed and a dirty job to make some money on last gen. In no way they would've released the game in this state if we didn't have had current gen already so that to me is a really bad example.
Look at how Lara performed in tr 2013 and compare that to your examples. It seems that rottr is just an exception that it is handled with some budget and a well known dev instead of your examples.

c0de

And we are only scratching the surface here : the worst drawback of having a 10 years old console around is that game design also has to accomodate it.

Again, what exactly are you missing, what is last gen, what do other current gen games do better? Perhaps it would help if you would define what to you means last gen game design and why it is outdated, with examples of current gen games making it better.

Looks good.

If anything it makes me wish we can just leave last gen behind. Games still being made around 512MB is mehhhhhhh

Actually makes me wonder why we needed more RAM.

How can this game fit in 512MB?

What that tells me is that all current GEN games are based on 512MB engines with more RAM being used for textures, improved GPU effects and that's about it.

Perhaps we have yet to see a legitimate next GEN title. Crackdown 3???

stryke

What that tells me is that all current GEN games are based on 512MB engines with more RAM being used for textures, improved GPU effects and that's about it.

Wut?

c0de

You don't necessarily see more ram directly, yes. Look at wiiu, it also has more ram than the old gen consoles.
Perhaps Fallout 4 will make good use of it, although especially there you won't see it.

thelastword

Banned
Does it look much better on the XBO outside of resolution. I played through DE on the PS4, but I don't believe the engine and assets are that impressive.

TheYanger

Does it look much better on the XBO outside of resolution. I played through DE on the PS4, but I don't believe the engine and assets are that impressive.

Yes, yes it does look a lot better. These shots are almost assuredly supposed to cast the 360 version in the best light possible, stuff like the shot I linked aren't even going to look close.

Kezen

Banned
But that was only because Mordor for last gen was totally half assed and a dirty job to make some money on last gen. In no way they would've released the game in this state if we didn't have had current gen already so that to me is a really bad example.
Look at how Lara performed in tr 2013 and compare that to your examples. It seems that rottr is just an exception that it is handled with some budget and a well known dev instead of your examples.
Half-assed ? I don't think so, it showed the game was made with modern platforms in mind. I wonder if this TR will exhibit such a drastic difference both in terms of scope and visuals. I fear there might not be any systemic difference, SoM didn't have the nemsis system on 360/PS3 for example.

Again, what exactly are you missing, what is last gen, what do other current gen games do better? Perhaps it would help if you would define what to you means last gen game design and why it is outdated, with examples of current gen games making it better.
You can always do more with more, if the game has the very same systems in place it only means the existence of a very old sku hold them back. SoW had a really nicely constructed nemesis system which understandably could not make the cut on last-gen machines.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't foresee the delta in design to be wide between the 360 and Xbone versions and as a gamer I don't like that.

Shareholders will like this, sure.

People talking about it bombing on 360 and non existing PS3 version, well it will also be interesting to see how well it sells on Xbox One for 2 reasons.

1 - The Last one wasn't limited to Xbox only and Square still wasn't really happy with the sales.

2 - Launching the same time as Fallout 4 is really brave or incredibly stupid, because love it or hate it, Fallout is going to sell a bucket load on all systems.

dealer-

Nixxes, so it will be great despite the decade old hardware. Their PS3 version of Tomb Raider was a brilliant port.

c0de

Half-assed ? I don't think so, it showed the game was made with modern platforms in mind. I wonder if this TR will exhibit such a drastic difference both in terms of scope and visuals. I fear there might not be any systemic difference, SoM didn't have the nemsis system on 360/PS3 for example.

No the game looks bad on last gen and is one of the worst performance wise. It was only made to make some cash out of it. It doesn't represent a later stage last gen game in any way.

You can always do more with more, if the game has the very same systems in place it only means the existence of a very old sku hold them back. SoW had a really nicely constructed nemesis system which understandably could not make the cut on last-gen machines.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't foresee the delta in design to be wide between the 360 and Xbone versions and as a gamer I don't like that.

Shareholders will like this, sure.

Nothing to do with shareholders. I asked you to say where the game is lacking and all I see is it is lacking because of the last gen version without being concrete. I mean even if there is no difference between them in level design, does it make the game a last gen game? Or let's ask: would we have seen a difference if there was no 360 version?
And yes, som had the nemesis system but that's one game. I even asked you to name which games are only current gen and what they all do better than rottr. I still don't see it.
It's ok to not like the game but I just don't see your criticism justified in any way.

Green Yoshi

This could become my last Xbox 360 game that I buy on release day. Of course, there are still some older games as Lost Odyssey, that I will buy used.

Kezen

Banned
No the game looks bad on last gen and is one of the worst performance wise. It was only made to make some cash out of it. It doesn't represent a later stage last gen game in any way.
I think you vastly underestimate how complex this game is from a purely tech standpoint. Its atrocious showing on old gen is expected and dare I say normal.

Nothing to do with shareholders. I asked you to say where the game is lacking and all I see is it is lacking because of the last gen version without being concrete. I mean even if there is no difference between them in level design, does it make the game a last gen game? Or let's ask: would we have seen a difference if there was no 360 version?
And yes, som had the nemesis system but that's one game. I even asked you to name which games are only current gen and what they all do better than rottr. I still don't see it.
It's ok to not like the game but I just don't see your criticism justified in any way.
If the game is identical design wise then it can only lead me to conclude the 360 holds it back. I maintain, you have to be more ambitous on a modern platform. If they have taken their design to a new level the 360 should miss design goals, we will see if this is the case.
There are many games which would not run on 360/PS3, take Mad Max for example, or Dying Light. Last-gen versions canned not to compromise the modern skus, I fear this TR may have to compromise heavily in order for a 360 version to exist. That is unless they refuse to let such an old console hamstring them.

As a sidenote I never implied I didn't like the game, why are you resorting to such pitiful strawman ? I'm very much enjoying what I see, but I can't help but feel disappointed by the mere existence of a 360 version.

Graphics are not even my primary concern, because I assume the PC version will look better at higher settings. The game design itself however will remain identical, and possibly because of a console released in 2005.
I'll let that sink in.

Top Bottom