• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man Remaster Gameplay on PS5

Hunnybun

30fps looks absolutely fine in this and the 4K with RT looks incredible.

60fps is very nice but 30fps done well with no frame pacing is absolutely fine.

I remember Batman Arkham Knight also looking and playing very nice and smooth at 30fps on base PS4 - it entirely depends on how it’s done.

Games like Bloodborne are obviously a mess at 30 with the frame pacing issues and I think I found Uncharted 4 a little juddery also. Spider-Man looks very smooth

I must admit that while the 60fps does look great, this is a very very smooth 30fps. It looks really good.

I'm going to experiment with both and see what I prefer. But from what I've seen so far that RT is going to be hard to give up. It looks REALLY good, some of the best I've seen.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm not even going to look at ray tracing, because I don't need that kind of fomo in my life. I know I'll just barely prefer 60fps over it and I don't want to face that comedown when I switch over.

Hunnybun

It "runs" better, but it doesn't "look" better.

I don't know how much it's to do with how different individuals process moving images (maybe some people are more sensitive to it than others) but to me at least 60fps LOOKS much better as well as feels much better.

It's a little bit like hugely increasing the resolution of the image, to me. I can suddenly appreciate the details much more clearly as the action plays out. It's like I have a constant focus on the screen whereas there's more of a vague impression of things at 30fps.

It's a big difference to me. It's a much much bigger difference than 1440p and 4K, say. For me, anyway.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Screenshots being cooked! Taken from Tom Warren's video of Spider-Man Remastered on PS5:

(Note: These are video stills, not photo mode)

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-21h59m11s646.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h00m02s433.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h12m58s655.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h16m26s266.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h18m00s401.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h19m55s678.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h21m20s577.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h27m42s188.png

vlcsnap-2020-11-10-22h29m01s374.png

Fbh

It looks good but I sort of need a direct comparison. Other than the nicer reflections it looks pretty similar to how I remember it looking on ps4 Pro. The 60fps mode is really nice and it's also great that based on the Miles Morales analysis from Digital foundry it's an actual locked 60 fps mode and not one of those uneven "targeting 60fps" ones.

Looks great but I still don't like that they changed Peter's face. It feels like the main character of you favorite movie was recasted after the release.

New Peter sucks.
He looks too young, which doesn't fit the setting as he is supposed to be somewhat experienced already. And he looks too much like "Not Tom Holland" which gives it the same awkward look as the Avengers Game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't know how much it's to do with how different individuals process moving images (maybe some people are more sensitive to it than others) but to me at least 60fps LOOKS much better as well as feels much better.

It's a little bit like hugely increasing the resolution of the image, to me. I can suddenly appreciate the details much more clearly as the action plays out. It's like I have a constant focus on the screen whereas there's more of a vague impression of things at 30fps.

It's a big difference to me. It's a much much bigger difference than 1440p and 4K, say. For me, anyway.

Very interesting take. I guess some are more sensitive to it than others like you said. I NEED that RT though.

Arachnid

I am getting sick of reflections everywhere to showcase ray tracing. Until dev start using ray tracing for actual gameplay purposes like in stealth sections, identifying enemy positions, env puzzles etc. I would rather switch it off if possible.
Yeah, I'm waiting for a Splinter Cell game to take full advantage of ray tracing. That will be the pinnacle.

Vick

I don't know how much it's to do with how different individuals process moving images
What's indisputable is that the panel's way of handling motion plays a huge role, almost as prominent as the nature of said panel between CRT, plasma, LCD and OLED.

skneogaf

I assume dynamic resolution with ray tracing and a few tweaks here ab
Ideal would be 1440p 60fps and RT.

Still playing full HD this gen would be weird.

Dynamic resolution is the in thing so no problem with allowing whatever machine it's on to do as much resolution as possible and if pro version of the consoles come out then they can go much higher.

Umbral

I assume dynamic resolution with ray tracing and a few tweaks here ab

Dynamic resolution is the in thing so no problem with allowing whatever machine it's on to do as much resolution as possible and if pro version of the consoles come out then they can go much higher.
I’d rather have a consistent resolution and consistent framerate. I hope this trend of dynamic resolution dies soon.

scalman

looks like some ppl are rly esnsitive to fps or they just pretend they are. i mean first you need to have proper HDTV to notice those diff on consoles. not on monitor , on HDTV thats where consoles will be connected anyway.
im ok with 30fps for everything, so full visual modes for me plz, thank you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
looks like some ppl are rly esnsitive to fps or they just pretend they are. i mean first you need to have proper HDTV to notice those diff on consoles. not on monitor , on HDTV thats where consoles will be connected anyway.

Some have OLED's, and they really have bad stutter at 30-24fps.

Lethal01

I would use fidelity mode to goof around but performance mode whenever moving the story forward.
It looks good but I sort of need a direct comparison. Other than the nicer reflections it looks pretty similar to how I remember it looking on ps4 Pro. The 60fps mode is really nice and it's also great that based on the Miles Morales analysis from Digital foundry it's an actual locked 60 fps mode and not one of those uneven "targeting 60fps" ones.

New Peter sucks.
He looks too young, which doesn't fit the setting as he is supposed to be somewhat experienced already. And he looks too much like "Not Tom Holland" which gives it the same awkward look as the Avengers Game.

Looks 10x better than that old goblin pretending he wasn't in his 30s.

Fake

I know the ray traced reflections are nice and all, but i dont know how anyone would pick that over the 60fps mode. 60fps just looks so much better.

You don't need to understand. Just to accept. I'll pick native 4k30 at my first play because of my new TV and after beat the game my next will be the 60 fps mode.
Now, if you're talking about 'multiplayer' thats is another story.

Dibils2k

i dobt think i would do 1080p/60 with ray tracing, 1080p is too big a hit

4k/30 RT is how i would play if i decide to buy the remaster after finishing MM

Last edited:

Hunnybun

The way I try to explain it is that it's not so much that 30 looks bad - it looks fine, really, tbh - but that 60 just looks REALLY good. Way clearer - the image really pops.

I'm not some fundamentalist about it - Uncharted 4 at 30fps still looks WAY better than Uncharted 3 at 60fps - but when the trade off is something like resolution, especially now 4K is such a ridiculously high base, then I'd almost always choose the extra frames.

Certainly the footage I've seen so far of Miles Morales, I've tended to be much more wowed by the performance mode than the fidelity one.

Now please can I just have the option to play with Peter's original face. There was nothing wrong with it and I honestly think the new face is so much worse.

Nimoy

Neo Member
All I want to know is if the Spider-Verse suit uses the animation style from the movie, like Miles' Spider-Verse suit does.

Vick

I knew it looked very different as i didn't recall the intro looking as ''flat'' in the original.
Nice to have a more ''correct'' and ''realistic'' upgrade, but since i'll have to keep a Pro for P.T. anyway i can totally see myself playing the original version from time to time, given how much artistic difference there is between the two.

Last edited:

Vick

High quality videos:

Man, this looks amazing.

truth411

no one is saying that. we are talking about halving the resolution and gaining 2x the framerate. that is basically how games have worked since forever.
Basically im saying reducing the resolution to 1440p and doubling the fps to 60 doesn't leave enough headroom for Ray Tracing with consoles. For a Nvidia 2080 yea sure, for a XSX or PS5 no.

1440p/60fps is 89% the pixel throughput of 4k/30fps. Not enough headroom for Ray Tracing for Consoles.

But 1080p/60fps is half (50%) the pixel throughput of 4k/30fps, thus enough headroom to implement Ray Tracing for Consoles.

Last edited:

Vick

Had to boot the original game after all these videos and the hype suddenly collapsed.

1) The game feels super smooth to play, both for character responsiveness and camera speed and clarity in motion. Don't know what magic they used but i'd never compromise visuals for an FPS increse in what i'm playing. What an incredible job they did.

2) Visuals themselves are jaw-dropping, even more so than any video i've seen of the Remastered. The motion blur shutter speed, DoF, lighting, shadows, everthing just punches you right in the face. Just took these completely randomly in the span of 5 minutes, i after switched to the Animated Suit and the city looked photorealistic when swinging. Completely photorealistic, 100%, like a documentary or better yet, like some Who Framed Roger Rabbit shit.

5ZUOFB5.png

GEhgO0t.png

Eou4hvh.png

vWbLpak.png

MCeGyDi.png

hfdWfwZ.png

cvO5zYY.png

PgdIo5B.png

LZxkVUS.png

3yPeuP4.png

Hunnybun

Basically im saying reducing the resolution to 1440p and doubling the fps to 60 doesn't leave enough headroom for Ray Tracing with consoles. For a Nvidia 2080 yea sure, for a XSX or PS5 no.

1440p/60fps is 89% the pixel throughput of 4k/30fps. Not enough headroom for Ray Tracing for Consoles.

But 1080p/60fps is half (50%) the pixel throughput of 4k/30fps, thus enough headroom to implement Ray Tracing for Consoles.

But the 4k30 mode already has ray tracing!!!

Why would they need additional headroom to retain it in a 60fps version so long as resolution is reduced enough to equalise the total number of pixels rendered??

Last edited:

truth411

But the 4k30 mode already has ray tracing!!!

Why would they need additional headroom to retain it in a 60fps version so long as resolution is reduced enough to equalise the total number of pixels rendered??
1080p/60fps is alot less expensive than 4k/30fps.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Higher framerates resolve motion better, preserving detail when things are moving, so it does in fact “look” better.
Not just motion either, overall it can give the impression of higher resolution because of it
But that's only under the same Resolution.
Actual Higher Resolution will always look better though and as long as the framerate is stable and locked will look fantastic imo

Last edited:
Top Bottom