• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Viva Piñata shots and info! TOO CUTE!

Microsoft actually has a chance in Japan. OMG.

No, seriously I think this could be an Animal Crossing like hit. The only problem is that it is on the Xbox 360.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
i was all prepared to not give a shit about this game - but it looks interesting, really like the style for some reason.

oh and if they market this right and the cartoon is successful, i really doubt it will bomb. i can see the appeal

I was hoping Viva Pinata meant "Banjo Kazooie 3" in a different language but this looks decent.

I'm still hoping they get around to releasing a new Banjo on the 360.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
The Experiment said:
I was hoping Viva Pinata meant "Banjo Kazooie 3" in a different language but this looks decent.

I'm still hoping they get around to releasing a new Banjo on the 360.
Like I said, they will when they get to see the next gen Mario.

<nu>faust

Mrbob said:
a kids game positioned around a 300 and 400 dollar console?
taken from ign,

Nintendo Entertainment System launched in 1985 for $199.99 ------> $354.91 in 2005
Super Nintendo launched in 1991 for $199.99 -----> $282.21 in 2005
PlayStation 2 launched in 2000 for $299.99 --------> $333.15 in 2005

Link
IGN said:
Created by Rare's head honcho Chris Stamper, and in development for the last 18 months under the helm of the Banjo-Kazooie team

NOOOOOOOOOOO..... *sulks out of thread while waiting in vain for BK3 by 2009*

shame on those who wanted MS to pump sequel after sequel from Rareware

wrong company...but leave it alone

bring on Viva and other new concepts

FYI, Rare's site has a few shots that aren't in the above post.

pinata_02.jpg

pinata_03.jpg

pinata_05.jpg

pinata_07.jpg

pinata_08.jpg

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
:( Rare hates me. What if this game's successful! They'll make sequels and I'll never got a true Banjo-Kazoothree.

Full Preview At IGN

So...how do you play? You start with a shovel from Dedos. Soon after you'll get seeds, a watering can, and you'll even get things such as upgrades to the shovel. The idea is to pat down the ground, "prepping" it for gardening. When you plant seeds and grass grows, you invite wild piñatas to visit. And if they like what they see and get what they need, they'll transform from "wild" to "resident" status (changing from black and white to color), and they'll stay in your garden. Your goal is to create the biggest, most populated garden possible, with all 62 piñatas living there peacefully and having offspring via stork express.

Ok this is perhaps the best looking next generation game I have seen. If the reviews are good Im buying an xbox 360 for sure now.

edit: An animal crossing clone?
Forget that noise then!

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Nice..
The pics from Rare-site were really nice..

about the success of this game, MS seriously has to put some weight on it, expose it to as many as possible, then there might be some uptake..

A pokemon/yu-gi-oh franchaise... i think not, but im open for suprises.. :)

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
The ecosystem behind the game is clever, if not genius. After the worms come, attracting other animals occurs in a domino pattern. Birds are attracted to the baby worms, so they'll come as soon as that little thing starts to squirm. You can then plant a turnip to attract mice. Naturally, snakes like mice, so as soon as mice show up, snakes do too. The game is filled with piñata-like animals ranging from ponies, pigs, sheep, crocodiles, horses, hedgehogs, elephants and more.

interesting, can they pull off something like this?

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Maximilian E. said:
Nice..
The pics from Rare-site were really nice..

about the success of this game, MS seriously has to put some weight on it, expose it to as many as possible, then there might be some uptake..

A pokemon/yu-gi-oh franchaise... i think not, but im open for suprises.. :)

well looks like they are putting some weight behind it

"While Gears of War is easily one of the most anticipated and most important games of 2006, Viva Piñata is of equal importance to us," said Shane Kim, head of Microsoft Game Studios. "Kameo: Elements of Power showed Rare's ability to go broad with mass appeal, and Viva Piñata spearheads our intent to truly go to the mass market. This is arguably our first true mass-market property, more so than even Halo 2."

seems like kim has taken MGS in the right direction.

Nice to see some real next-gen visuals that aim for something other than creating a realistic or scifi world. Good to see what Rare can do now that they actually have some more time with the hardware.

Mama Smurf

That video got hilariously blatant towards the end. Still, when the action finally turned up, the animation looked nice and smooth.

Mama Smurf said:
That video got hilariously blatant towards the end. Still, when the action finally turned up, the animation looked nice and smooth.

Yep. The video was grating, trite, and nowhere near as clever as it thought it was. The show will be an enormous success.

I knew that hedgehog was on acid. After hearing the voices and personalities my interest has dropped. Rainbow Hedgehog is awesome though.

Joe

the game doesnt have to be good to be a successful franchise. if the tv show is good it will carry the game by itself i dont think a good videogame can carry a poor/mediocre tv show.

if they're both good and popular they could get into pokemon status. hell even half of pokemon's popularity would be HUGE.

As much as I'm bitter about BK team working on this, the site is interesting and I could see kids getting a kick out of it. It will be real interesting to see if this game draws kids to 360.

Game reads like a cross of The Sims w/animals/Pokemon/Animal Crossing. I'm just wondering what else Rare is working on, hopefully either a kart racer/3d platformer/3d action game.

Mama Smurf

I'm rather hoping the personality of that video isn't going to be so...strong in the game. Though it'll probably be even worst in the TV show, but I don't give a crap about that.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just wanted to join and say that this game looks really cool. I love the style, it has a unique, personal, cool flavour (unlike the wannabe-manga crap Rare has been putting out for the last years). Great stuff.

Looking forward to this!

Ponn

Banned
I would like to play this. It looks very interesting and one of my type of games. Unfortunately I foresee this bombing on the Xbox 360, wrong type of crowd.

Top Bottom