• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Warcraft reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyonashi

As long as it's profitable that's all that matters. A well reviewed movie that bombs hurts more than a poorly reviewed profitable movie.

Sure, but any director wants his films to be well received. Duncan strikes me as the kind of guy who cares more about public opinion than studio cash.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Just caught it. It's a well-made, highly entertaining movie that will never get the cred it deserves. In my opinion it was really good. A solid and true to the source adaption of a difficult property. The acting is good and the actors humanise both sides.

It's everything I was hoping it to be but didn't quite believe I was getting. Duncan Jones is three out of three in my book.

Carl2291

Just got out the cinema, early screening in Wakefield!

I feel like they tried to cram too much into too little time. However, what was there was quite brilliant for a warcraft fan of many years. Great casting, nice little nods to the games and it sets everything nicely up for the potential warcraft 2.

Hopefully we get it.

Indiewire: Warcraft is the Battlefield Earth of the 21st Century

A grotesque, funhouse reflection of modern blockbuster cinema, the film is truly a staggering failure, and there’s no joy to be found in its profound awfulness — an exciting young director has burned off several of his best years, a major Hollywood studio has been punished for their ambition and two disparate mediums have exposed the worst in each other.

There’s no denying that fans of the franchise will find more to enjoy here than newcomers, but while familiarity may help lessen the confusion of some plot details, no degree of goodwill for the games will compensate for the sloppiness of the storytelling. For a movie that mostly takes place in three generic locations, it’s almost impressive how poorly each scene connects to the next, as character motivations (and character identities) soon smudge into nonsense.

This is truly a depressing experience. You can feel the studio losing money as its unraveling in front of you. It’s rare to feel such pity for a major studio movie, but watching “Warcraft” bend over backwards to set up a sequel is like watching a desperate paramedic apply CPR to someone who’s clearly been dead for hours. He’s gone. He’s gone. Let it go. Let the battle between orcs and humans end in a stalemate. Call off the fighting and implore both sides to return to their loved ones. Bad movies come and go — “Warcraft” is a tragedy.

Maffis

Just got out the cinema, early screening in Wakefield!

I feel like they tried to cram too much into too little time. However, what was there was quite brilliant for a warcraft fan of many years. Great casting, nice little nods to the games and it sets everything nicely up for the potential warcraft 2.

Hopefully we get it.

apparently over a third of the original movie was cut for the theatrical release.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I don't get the negativity surrounding this. In what way does it bend over backwards to set up sequels?! It just literally retells the story of the games. Battlefield Earth?! That's on a whole different level of bad.

Carl2291

I don't get the negativity surrounding this. In what way does it bend over backwards to set up sequels?! It just literally retells the story of the games.

It partially retells the story of one game, in a series that spans several games. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions for people who don't already know the story and the ending itself has a lot of loose ends ranging from
what the orcs get up to now, how the alliance reacts to Llane's death, what happens with the relationship between Garona and Lothar, who actually finds Go'el, what happens with the orcs who stood against Gul'dan and what the fuck was that demon inside Medivh?

Obviously people who play the games know the answers, but for casual movie goers, or people who only know Warcraft through word of mouth, there is so much left unanswered.

Finaj

It partially retells the story of one game, in a series that spans several games. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions for people who don't already know the story and the ending itself has a lot of loose ends ranging from
what the orcs get up to now, how the alliance reacts to Llane's death, what happens with the relationship between Garona and Lothar, who actually finds Go'el, what happens with the orcs who stood against Gul'dan and what the fuck was that demon inside Medivh?

Obviously people who play the games know the answers, but for casual movie goers, or people who only know Warcraft through word of mouth, there is so much left unanswered.

Well, it was written to be the first part of a trilogy. The only problem is that if it doesn't make enough money, we may not get any sequels.

I don't get the negativity surrounding this. In what way does it bend over backwards to set up sequels?! It just literally retells the story of the games. Battlefield Earth?! That's on a whole different level of bad.

How about...
main baddies are still alive, the main conflict seems far from over. That teaser with the orc baby after the title screen, it's literally setting up the storyline for the sequel. Like most films that setup a franchise it just 'ends'

kinoki

How about...
main baddies are still alive, the main conflict seems far from over. That teaser with the orc baby after the title screen, it's literally setting up the storyline for the sequel. Like most films that setup a franchise it just 'ends'

How is this "bending over backwards"?!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Lothar
lives? I thought he died at the end

I haven't seen the movie, but in the games
he doesn't die until the end of the 2nd war (Warcraft 2)

CassSept

How about...

Outside of
orc baby which is more of a reference for the fans
it's exactly how the first game ended. You know, the game the movie is based on.

Tillbo

Just got back from watching the movie and really enjoyed it! As a big Warcraft fan it was far better than I expected from the trailers.

I can understand the poor reviews though as I'm not sure how much people completely unfamiliar with Warcraft would get out of the movie without knowing the bigger picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom