• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Xbox One S impressions from a lucky Norwegian

jrcbandit

Looks sexy, but I ended up cancelling my Amazon order due to it being inadequate as an ultra hd bluray player, already have a gaming pc for Xbox games. Every other ultra hd bluray player has two hdmi out so you can get HD sound when your receiver is not hdcp 2.2 complaint, which 95% of 2014 receivers with hdmi 2.0 are not.... HDCP 2.2 was so anti consumer and pointless, already cracked and just a huge nuisance.

ClearData

Has to be a contender for the sexiest console ever

It is quite simply a box, but the I/O is so cleanly laid out and the profile is finally understated and pleasing. So I think it finally meets the original design goal of being something that can be overlooked and comfortably fitting in the living room. (I'm paraphrasing) Something the original had a hard time doing based on it's sort of obnoxious size in my opinion.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder if the OS is running at native 4K or just upscaled from 1080p.

I would expect the same as XB1, but upscaled, since the only change to the hardware is the output configuration due to HDMI 2.0.

Since this is the S model, its basically the same as the 360 S model. OS was still 720p, but upscaled to 1080p if you had the output set

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Haven't really followed the news. Is it possible to officially replace the internal hard drive?

Max_Po

Banned
dam with Scorpio so close... I do not want another XboxOne and I do not want to sell my Mint/Like New Call of Duty AW Edition ....

On the controller the Thumb Sticks look a bit smaller in height.... which could make a lot of improvements.

Dipswitch

Has it been confirmed that the S controllers are compatible with the original console? I'm in the market for a new controller and I'd rather buy the S version for bluetooth and other improvements.

Noobcraft

Has it been confirmed that the S controllers are compatible with the original console? I'm in the market for a new controller and I'd rather buy the S version for bluetooth and other improvements.
It works on both. It has Bluetooth for connecting to other devices and uses the proprietary wifi connection for connecting to the Xbox.

molnizzle

Has it been announced if it has official 4k bluray and not some upscaler? Want one in black

This was announced at E3, yes. It plays UHD Blu-rays at native 4K.

Like the PS3 with Blu-ray and PS2 with DVD, this is one of the better (if not the best) values on the market if you're looking to get a UHD Blu-ray player.

Looks so good. I want it, but can't justify it. Glad to hear it's silent.

Right there with you. Was at the doorstep of my mall to trade-in my OG and stopped just short realizing I have no reason at all. My monitor doesn't have HDR and I don't watch 4K Blu-Rays. It's sexy as all hell, but I can't logically justify the purchase.

Not in black either

More shots from CNET

microsoft-xbox-one-s-comparison-to-old-xbox-7307-003.jpg

microsoft-xbox-one-s-comparison-to-old-xbox-7280-002.jpg

microsoft-xbox-one-s-comparison-to-old-xbox-7354-007.jpg

microsoft-xbox-one-s-comparison-to-old-xbox-7324-005.jpg

Right there with you. Was at the doorstep of my mall to trade-in my OG and stopped just short realizing I have no reason at all. My monitor doesn't have HDR and I don't watch 4K Blu-Rays. It's sexy as all hell, but I can't logically justify the purchase.

Not in black either

But the OG One is so ugly and bulky. You need to slimmer it down.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You guys can maybe ask him on YouTube comments your questions, maybe he can take more videos of UI, settings, power consumption...etc.

Plum

It works on both. It has Bluetooth for connecting to other devices and uses the proprietary wifi connection for connecting to the Xbox.

Wait, so that means I can use it on PC without having to buy the £20 adapter? Or am I misunderstanding you?

molnizzle

I wonder how loud/silent is it compared to the fat xb one. The statement I the op is a bit vague

Hoping someone does some quantifiable testing on this and posts the results. The 40% reduction is only worth it if it's still silent. If it's closing in on PS4 levels then I'd just keep the fat.

Wait, so that means I can use it on PC without having to buy the £20 adapter? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Yes. That's why the product exists in the first place. ;-)

But the OG One is so ugly and bulky. You need to slimmer it down.

But see, since Gamestop/BestBuy only offer $100 for an OG, I gotta cough up $221 to get a console I don't need. Cash that could be spent buying games, gas, etc.

Needs vs Wants, utility theory, all that jazz.

I was hoping for a "it's smaller and it' plays like an xbox one" as the full translation. I like the size of it. Wish my white xbone would morph into an s unit.

Top Bottom