• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Great stuff, been trying to hit the legs lately as well now that my lower back is feeling like it's nearly back at 100%. Need to do something when the lawn doesn't need mown and when my arms are recovering. Been trying some resistance band squats with my pullup bar. Felt really nice so I'm going to work those back in @ low weight/high reps. Definitely going to try some of the isometrics you listed.

If you want to try to level up the difficulty on those one legged isometric squats/knee raises for stability, try closing your eyes while you do it. Also, if you have a Bosu ball, try standing on that then close your eyes when you get used to it. Rubber or platform side up, doesn't matter.
Instead of introducing instability at the ankle, I will (sometimes) hold a weight above my head 1-handed on the same side as the raised knee, to build that transverse stability from wrist to opposite ankle. Or I will do a particular hold, but up on the balls of my feet/toes (soleus and achilles stability). I'm also doing this barefoot on outdoor ground, so the foot angle is not always perfectly "flat". Tiny bit of stabilizer training gained from simply standing on bumpy/uneven grou
Even so, the "basic" exercise with no extra weight still gets tiring if you hold on one foot, arms above head for several minutes. Focusing on those long iso holds for tendon / joint building, ya know? ;) I'm trying to apply the same rationale you gave for hanging on gym rings and using the rice bucket (hand, wrist, and forearm strength built through patient conditioning) to my legs -- ankles and knees especially -- and have been doing so for awhile.

I have one of those surfboard practice kits with a heavy cylinder (I think perhaps we talked about this awhile ago....) but I don't use it a ton. I am using the jump-rope, compass squats, and simply hopping up and down on one foot to build that ankle strength. Don't get me wrong, I hear a lot of good things about bosu balls and balance boards, but they offer almost no impact training on the joint which is something I need on those leg joints/tendons if I hope to get better at jogging.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend good elbow warmup exercises? I'm doing a lot of pullups (relatively, around 200 per week) and I've started to develop mild golfer elbow symptoms on both arms.

The warmup that I've been doing up until now clearly isn't cutting it anymore.
Make sure you're getting enough collagen and calcium. You're going hard on your joints and tendons and ligaments. Fish oil is really good as well for lubrication.

As for warm up. If you have any assisted pull up bands, use them and go for really high reps for one of your workout sessions and at the beginning of each heavy load session. Personally, high rep light weight would be the majority of my sessions if I where you. Need to focus on tendons and growing vasculature.

Furthermore, make SURE you're doing close to the same amount of antagonist movements. So if you're pushing, make sure to pull during the same workout. This might set you back in reps for a bit but in the long run but you'll be far better off in terms of health. Your triceps help stabilize your biceps etc. And this means your joints too. This especially helps for recovery.

Isometric holds and negatives will help immensely with problem areas. De-load a couple sessions each week and aim for and around the weak area where you feel pain. Keep in mind that these things, cartilage, tendons, stabilizers and antagonistic muscles if you've been neglecting them, will take time to cultivate and that's ok.

And remember, it's always a good idea to start from the beginning of the progression. Especially if you didn't build that strong base to begin with. Lots of people just start with the full movement and never really take the time to cultivate their stabilizers, tendons and joints by starting from the beginning and they never really reach their full rep/strength potential. Here's a great vid on the progression.

For cool down and warmup, you could get one of these, it's one of the things we use for arm wrestling to get the lactic acid moving out of our arms. Hold it above your head, or just so your elbow is elevated. Plus, it's just a really great wrist exercise and warm up.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Can anyone recommend good elbow warmup exercises? I'm doing a lot of pullups (relatively, around 200 per week) and I've started to develop mild golfer elbow symptoms on both arms.

The warmup that I've been doing up until now clearly isn't cutting it anymore.
Cut down the total number of pullups but do slow negatives, which will focus on your tendons and strengthen them.

bati

Furthermore, make SURE you're doing close to the same amount of antagonist movements. So if you're pushing, make sure to pull during the same workout. This might set you back in reps for a bit but in the long run but you'll be far better off in terms of health. Your triceps help stabilize your biceps etc. And this means your joints too. This especially helps for recovery.

Thanks for the tips, just wanted to single this part out to say that I'm already doing this - maybe not quite 1 to 1, but I probably do 4 push reps for each 5 of pull. Triceps is actually one of my strong points so there's not much I can do in that area other than to keep it it balanced. I'll try to focus on negatives for a while - I don't like the bands for pullups because they tend to put my feet in the front during the movement, and I find it easier to engage the scapula without them. Unfortunately I don't have access to the cable pulldown machine right now otherwise I'd switch to that.

Thanks for the tips, just wanted to single this part out to say that I'm already doing this - maybe not quite 1 to 1, but I probably do 4 push reps for each 5 of pull. Triceps is actually one of my strong points so there's not much I can do in that area other than to keep it it balanced. I'll try to focus on negatives for a while - I don't like the bands for pullups because they tend to put my feet in the front during the movement, and I find it easier to engage the scapula without them. Unfortunately I don't have access to the cable pulldown machine right now otherwise I'd switch to that.
Personally, I think you should be able to activate your scapula at that angle as well because that actually simulates the beginning of the progression that you should start at when building a strong foundation for pull ups with all your muscles working in concert. Feet slightly forward is also the angle that you use when doing a muscle up as well. Honestly, might be a good idea to train that range of motion. You could still do band pull downs though. This is what I did during my scapula rehab. But I really suggested it to warm up your elbows and activate blood flow as well as priming your stabilizers and such in there for that range of motion before your workout since you where asking for one. However, I'm a big believer in low weight high reps as a full workout and only doing high loads till failure around once a week.

Resistance band shoulder/arm stretches would be a good idea as well as I find these help open up my elbows. I've been doing these a lot recently and it seems to be helping with recovery time.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i leaned out 11 pounds over the last two months

not sure what happened since my intake remains 1g / pound / day up to 5k calories wherever possible

guess i've been hitting cardio too hard, will cut down elliptical a bit and consume even more chicken and eggs

i'd like to be absolutely jacked by december, we'll see ...

~

back at it, push ups and burpees to start the day

Tesseract

Banned
randoms until my mind crashes or heart stops, push ups and pull ups with every loss

x-men-apocalypse-went-full-weapon-x-for-five-glorious-minutes-in-2016.gif

Cutty Flam

Banned
Recovery day, walked about 20 minutes, 45 minute boxing practice with a partner

Light stretching, foam roller, that’s it

Thanks for recommending the NSD Spinner Ball Tesseract Tesseract + VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler I’m going to purchase one tonight to help with the recovery and bloodflow, may even use it for strengthening some at some point but for now just want to master it so I know I can move into more forearm training with zero issues. If anything requires patience, it’s forearms training imo. Spinner ball will help overall, especially with prehab and rehab

God Enel

Wanted to work out yesterday but my mom called and I had to rush her to the hospital. So my day was done.
Met with some friends and went to a bar. It was a good evening but.. fuck drinking and alcohol.
Not sure if I’m gonna work out today. Have to help a friend. His mom is moving - so it’s kind of a different workout. Maybe I’m gonna hit the gym later for some core work :)

Cutty Flam

Banned
Wanted to work out yesterday but my mom called and I had to rush her to the hospital. So my day was done.
Met with some friends and went to a bar. It was a good evening but.. fuck drinking and alcohol.
Not sure if I’m gonna work out today. Have to help a friend. His mom is moving - so it’s kind of a different workout. Maybe I’m gonna hit the gym later for some core work :)
Careful man, pretty taxing stuff moving all day for like 4-8 hours at a time. Gotta eat like a monster after that type of work

I've done my fair share of moving, helping others move and loading up tons of moving trucks, even semi's. Everyone always calls me to help for some reason. Seriously, this should be a full workout. Especially if everything is already boxed since you'll be moving faster and taking less breaks. Stacking, puzzle solving, stuffing, lifting heavy stuff through doors at awkward angles, panicking that the other dude is going to drop his end... panicking that you might drop yours walking something large backwards down a flight of stairs with a partner, leverage lifting heavy garage stuff. All in the baking sun. Depending on how much stuff she has to move you could be in for a treat. Especially if you're going to help unload as well.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a workout for a bit afterwards if there's a lot to move. You'll be doing things in ways that you aren't used to if you don't do this all the time and it could cause inflammation in areas that you might not feel till you wake up tomorrow.

Have fun! I always love a good moving party.

Time for my morning routine. Up just a little later this morning. Spent a little longer working out last night after a friend of mine showed me all this workout stuff he's going to be getting for us. We're kind of putting together a garage gym for arm wrestling. But he want's to get into some strongman stuff as well, Mr. Stapleton style, low weight, high reps baby.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
ive been doing this thing lately where i've been kinda doing squats but also passing the kettlebell from one arm to another and doing a figure 8 around and in between my legs all while doing a rowing like motion with my arms

do it fast enough and it counts as cardio

that's the beauty of the kettlebell, it's fun and you can really implement full body

Last edited:

So kinda this - but I start squatting then lift with my legs, then raise the kb above my head with each arm like I'm starting a lawnmower or pulling weeds, then pass it back down to the other hand as I squat back down.

I don't know if it's an official thing or not but whatever works I guess.

Is this synchronicity? My friend just ordered some of these for our garage gym...

SpiceRacz

Herr Cuomo is releasing the guidelines for gyms on Monday here in NY. It'll be interesting to see what kind of restrictions there are. Anyone else live in a state where gyms still aren't open?

They reopened them in May and shut 'em down about a month later in AZ. They should be reopening in a few weeks at like a 50% capacity limit. I cancelled my memberships for now and started buying my own equipment. I could see gyms getting shut down again out here.

Drake

They reopened them in May and shut 'em down about a month later in AZ. They should be reopening in a few weeks at like a 50% capacity limit. I cancelled my memberships for now and started buying my own equipment. I could see gyms getting shut down again out here.

I was thinking about buying some equipment, but I actually enjoy going to the gym. Gives me an excuse to get out of the house on my weekends when there isn't much going on.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Completed legs but feel so fucking thrashed. I did more than I probably should have, hopefully it’s only inflammation and the feel of more exercise than usual. I swear, after so many injuries over the years, it’s like the muscles affected can’t ‘feel’ in the same way as before. Tough to describe, but it’s like I can’t tell if I’m injured sometimes, or if I simply just inflamed my nerves and muscles a lot from pushing past more than I’m used to...Anybody else feel this way at all? I felt similarly with my ankle after a major injury there. I would some days feel as if I was injured, but I think it was just severe inflammation and being subjected to more walking, movement than usual

I
enn2ycN.jpg

TTOOLL

Completed legs but feel so fucking thrashed. I did more than I probably should have, hopefully it’s only inflammation and the feel of more exercise than usual. I swear, after so many injuries over the years, it’s like the muscles affected can’t ‘feel’ in the same way as before. Tough to describe, but it’s like I can’t tell if I’m injured sometimes, or if I simply just inflamed my nerves and muscles a lot from pushing past more than I’m used to...Anybody else feel this way at all? I felt similarly with my ankle after a major injury there. I would some days feel as if I was injured, but I think it was just severe inflammation and being subjected to more walking, movement than usual

I
enn2ycN.jpg

I love the fact that you write all this shit down. I'm impressed! Have you tried FitNotes?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
22e.png

Putting a lot of focus on rings this week (especially holds) to tighten everything up while I enter a fast.

Still swingin' and farmer walkin' the 60 lb kettlebell. Also regularly farmer walkin' the 80 lb (goblet, not 1h). Still doing 1 mi walks w either the 35lb 1 handed or the 12 lb medicine ball held 1h above my head. Gotta push that stone, Sisyphus.

Hard songs for hard sets.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Poweblock EXP Stage 1 + stand...$520, yay or nay?

Missed on a bunch of restocks :(
That’s so much. Can’t believe how much the prices have risen over the years. I bought a set of those powerblock type or looking dumbells (goes up to 55, 60lbs I want to say) for under $200 at a Sports Chalet iirc way back. I’d say pull the trigger unless you can find a cheaper set on Craigs List. Dumbells are the GOAT

rykomatsu

That’s so much. Can’t believe how much the prices have risen over the years. I bought a set of those powerblock type or looking dumbells (goes up to 55, 60lbs I want to say) for under $200 at a Sports Chalet iirc way back. I’d say pull the trigger unless you can find a cheaper set on Craigs List. Dumbells are the GOAT

Yeah, things are a bit expensive at the moment...

That said, it looks like the stand is the "nicer" stand, so retail w/o markup is $300 for powerblocks and $180 for the stand. 480 + tax is $519 where I live. After doing the math, I can live with a $1 markup. Hoping seller won't have a change of heart - in which case, I'll just be a bench and stall mats away from finishing my home gym for now

I am overweight and out of shape but I walk and hike a lot. My issue is diet and that is on me but I am curious outside of 3-5 miles of hiking with a 30 pound bag what do you all suggest I start looking into workout wise. I don't want to go to a gym as locally that really is not an option. I am not opposed to weights but I just want a nudge in the right direction of what to look at moving a routine from hiking everyday and incorporating something else.

I know I need to get my shit in order and I figure jumping into this thread will hold me to some accountability outside of myself as now I entered the realm of manly men and so now I have to put up or shut up.

Things I have access to: Mountains everywhere literally I live in an area that I literally can hike a few miles away. A pool and I can order some shit if I need weights I just really don't want to look at getting some epic gym until I figure out a basic routine.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Flying Toaster Flying Toaster If you're already hiking with added weight, that's a pretty solid foundation tbh. That's far more exercise than I was getting when I got my diet in order and trimmed down.

I'm a fan of the kettlebell as you can get a full-body workout even with a lower weight (start with a 35 lb), and it fits somewhere between traditional machine / rack weightlifting and bodyweight exercises. The ballistic nature helps to strengthen your tendons and joints while building muscle strength at the same time. It's a playful way of exercising, like juggling, tossing the medicine ball, indian clubs, or strongman feats.

Another good supplement would be a set of rubber resistance bands, not the wimpy 3 - 6 pound tissue paper bands, but the thick "pullup assistance bands" that are in the 45 lb, 80 lb, 100+ lb ranges.

Lastly, engage in cold training. Part of losing long-storage bodyfat (and the skin) requires you to build up your blood vessels in the area. Your body does not likely have the vasculature to transport that fat away. It's not "stubborn belly fat" so much as it is "belly fat that is too remote for your bloodveins to reach". Cold training is a general health conditioner anyway, but one of its functions is to stimulate blood vessel growth on the surface of your skin.

Last edited:

bati

Another good supplement would be a set of rubber resistance bands, not the wimpy 3 - 6 pound tissue paper bands, but the thick "pullup assistance bands" that are in the 45 lb, 80 lb, 100+ lb ranges.

Seconding this. For chest you can do pushups for a while, especially if you are completely untrained, for back you'll need the bands because pullups are probably out of the question for you.

Hike to different clearings, and do a bodyweight routine outdoors! Once you know you have the discipline, you can justify purchasing workout equipment.
Flying Toaster Flying Toaster If you're already hiking with added weight, that's a pretty solid foundation tbh. That's far more exercise than I was getting when I got my diet in order and trimmed down.

I'm a fan of the kettlebell as you can get a full-body workout even with a lower weight (start with a 35 lb), and it fits somewhere between traditional machine / rack weightlifting and bodyweight exercises. The ballistic nature helps to strengthen your tendons and joints while building muscle strength at the same time. It's a playful way of exercising, like juggling, tossing the medicine ball, indian clubs, or strongman feats.

Lastly, engage in cold training. Part of losing long-storage bodyfat (and the skin) requires you to build up your blood vessels in the area. Your body does not likely have the vasculature to transport that fat away. It's not "stubborn belly fat" so much as it is "belly fat that is too remote for your bloodveins to reach". Cold training is a general health conditioner anyway, but one of its functions is to stimulate blood vessel growth on the surface of your skin.
Seconding this. For chest you can do pushups for a while, especially if you are completely untrained, for back you'll need the bands because pullups are probably out of the question for you.

Thanks everyone for the pointers. I figure I will check in once a week and talk about the madness. I do appreciate the time that was taken to respond.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I've been doing low carb / keto for almost two weeks now. I've stuck religiously to the diet I listed in the previous page, but I've swapped out the whole milk for almond milk because it's about 1/10th the carbs. My calories are in the 1,800-2,000 range which is a pretty massive improvement over my previous diet. For a 6'2" guy that started over 300lbs, that's well below what most doctors have recommended to me for "dieting". However, since I've cut out basically all processed foods I find it actually kinda difficult to even get up to 2,000 calories while keeping myself under 50g of carbs a day.

I'm tracking everything with the LoseIt! app, which makes everything pretty simple - especially since I always eat the same thing for lunch every day. I have a smart scale that syncs to the program that I step on every morning and it logs my weight / body fat % / etc. which is handy. Depending on what exercises I'm doing, a lot of that syncs into the app as well via Google Fit, or I can enter it manually.

I've lost 12 pounds so far (about 5.5kg). I've lost six inches off my waist so far. The LoseIt! app says that if I keep going at this rate, then my March of next year I'll be under 200lbs. Personally, I think it'll be faster than that, because even with -12lb I find exercising to be significantly easier to do and my body actually looks forward to it more and more. I can only imagine when I get to -20lb, -30lbs, etc. that being able to sustain physical exercises will continue being more and more possible.

Last weekend my wife and I put in a good run together outside - we live right next to a State park so there are tons of trails here - and we had a blast. It's something we do together fairly often but this time it was noticeably easier. In all honesty, I probably could have gone twice as far but actually had to stop because I was wearing her out. She's way lighter than me and a much better / faster runner so I felt like that was a pretty good accomplishment since it's usually the other way around!

bati

I've lost 12 pounds so far (about 5.5kg). I've lost six inches off my waist so far. The LoseIt! app says that if I keep going at this rate, then my March of next year I'll be under 200lbs. Personally, I think it'll be faster than that, because even with -12lb I find exercising to be significantly easier to do and my body actually looks forward to it more and more. I can only imagine when I get to -20lb, -30lbs, etc. that being able to sustain physical exercises will continue being more and more possible.

That's great and I wish you good luck, but you need to prepare yourself for the slowdown. Most of what you lost so far has been water weight and glycogen stores. Each gram of carbohydrates can bind 3-4 grams of water and once you cut out the carbs and go into caloric deficit the difference will be massive, especially if you've been overeating prior to that, but the rate of weight loss will drop dramatically after the adjustment period.

So I've been doing low carb / keto for almost two weeks now. I've stuck religiously to the diet I listed in the previous page, but I've swapped out the whole milk for almond milk because it's about 1/10th the carbs. My calories are in the 1,800-2,000 range which is a pretty massive improvement over my previous diet. For a 6'2" guy that started over 300lbs, that's well below what most doctors have recommended to me for "dieting". However, since I've cut out basically all processed foods I find it actually kinda difficult to even get up to 2,000 calories while keeping myself under 50g of carbs a day.

I'm tracking everything with the LoseIt! app, which makes everything pretty simple - especially since I always eat the same thing for lunch every day. I have a smart scale that syncs to the program that I step on every morning and it logs my weight / body fat % / etc. which is handy. Depending on what exercises I'm doing, a lot of that syncs into the app as well via Google Fit, or I can enter it manually.

Last weekend my wife and I put in a good run together outside - we live right next to a State park so there are tons of trails here - and we had a blast. It's something we do together fairly often but this time it was noticeably easier. In all honesty, I probably could have gone twice as far but actually had to stop because I was wearing her out. She's way lighter than me and a much better / faster runner so I felt like that was a pretty good accomplishment since it's usually the other way around!

Awesome motivation. Keep that warrior mentality.

That's great and I wish you good luck, but you need to prepare yourself for the slowdown. Most of what you lost so far has been water weight and glycogen stores. Each gram of carbohydrates can bind 3-4 grams of water and once you cut out the carbs and go into caloric deficit the difference will be massive, especially if you've been overeating prior to that, but the rate of weight loss will drop dramatically after the adjustment period.

Agreed. I go into a little detail about this below. I was replying to another poster who hit the slowdown as well.

Take heart Chunk. I see this all the time. There are many, many reasons and it would be hard for any of us to help you without an in depth discussion and possibly observation of your workout.

But one thing I would guess, since you've just now started working out, your body is going to be diverting tons of energy to repair. Thing is, it's probably trying to pull from your fat reserves right now for that energy. So your body might be trying to create more of those same reserves. It will do this until you have enough lean muscles which are primed to burn fat very efficiently. So you need to be careful not to run too much in the beginning because as you burn fat, it triggers the visceral fat in your body. That fat releases adipokines which directly attack lean muscle. Those adipokines may be causing that lean muscle to develop slowly or to even degrade, especially in the areas you aren't working out. Most certainly, they are causing inflammation which will lead to stress, which will lead to less progress overall. This is one of the many reasons I always encourage people to take it slow or just not go crazy on the cardio through running alone when starting out. Cultivating and activating as much lean, fat burning muscle in as many areas as possible is key. Not just your legs.

ALSO and equally important. Learn the differences between healthy brown adipose (fat) and white adipose. I personally use the Wim Hof method to cultivate more brown adipose. Which has helped immensely with my energy reserves. Among other benefits.

So, one of the differences between white and brown adipose is the density of capillaries. In fact, it's important to understand that the way we burn fat at all is due fat burning enzymes... But how do we get those enzymes to the fat? Through circulation.

R5YBRM8.jpg

Here you can see that brown tissue has MANY more capillaries than white tissue. In fact, sometimes it gets even worse for problematic white Adipose. So it could just be that the fat that you are trying to burn off right now is being stubborn because of lack of circulation in those areas.

Ultimately, my advice, would be to not worry so much about the calories and what not. And I also wouldn't be getting worried just yet at perceived lack of progress unless you are seeing other adverse effects. Just find a good diet, stick to it and know that you are eating healthy foods and what that means for your body. (your body will only be as good as the materials you give it) Make sure you are getting a great all round workout (personally I would start with a body weight routine) and you will start to build the vasculature and lean muscles that you need to burn that fat. It's also really important to stay as stress free as possible on your journey to better health. Focus on all the positives while being mindful of any possible issues which may show up as you go through this process. This process is different for everyone. There is not a one size fits all method. Take heart and carry on champion.

Also, from my wife who knows way more than me about this, quality of calories generally matters MUCH more than quantity.

jshackles jshackles If you are looking for a good beginner routine so that you can activate that fat burn and lean muscle build up in as many areas as possible without too much stress on your joints, which would also cause or enhance a slowdown btw, you could try this as well. I generally recommend body weight/band workouts for beginners or anyone getting back into shape in order to build a strong foundation for later on.

Top Bottom