• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter S.

andycapps

mkenyon

Banned
How is marijuana usage viewed? I have a hard time eating as much calories as I should but vaping seems to help create an appetite.
As a very big proponent of marijuana legalization, and an ex-heavy user, I think it's pretty obvious that the major downside is that it makes you a bit complacent and lazy.

Maybe get a low THC/high CBD strain for vaping? I'm in WA, so that's probably easier said than done if you're not in WA/OR/CO/CA.

Hunter S.

They're also on HGH and a bunch of other stuff, so unless the user is doing those other things I'd say it's not exactly the same.

So you are saying you do not believe guys can be semi-fit/well developed and use marijuana unless they also use HGH and "other things"?

mkenyon

Banned
So you are saying you do not believe guys can be semi-fit/well developed and use marijuana unless they also use HGH and "other things"?
No, but I think they were specifically referring to your example as to why it's okay. It's not a disagreement with the central point, just pointing out your example is kind of a fringe one that doesn't really help the conversation :p

Hunter S.

No, but I think they were specifically referring to your example as to why it's okay. It's not a disagreement with the central point, just pointing out your example is kind of a fringe one that doesn't really help the conversation :p

okay, I disagree. Peace

mkenyon

Banned
okay, I disagree. Peace
Need some logic gains, breh.

For example, you could say, "I use marijuana to help mitigate pain as well as promote eating so I can hit my macros".

Even though it's just an anecdote, it's still more relevant to the conversation than NFL players and UFC fighters.

Hunter S.

Need some logic gains, breh.

For example, you could say, "I use marijuana to help mitigate pain as well as promote eating so I can hit my macros".

Even though it's just an anecdote, it's still more relevant to the conversation than NFL players and UFC fighters.

I can post examples as I see fit. No matter if a large chunk off fighters and football players use various questionable means to be fit, they still are fit, and is part of the conversation of fitness. get over it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
What are you putting them in to eat 6? i probably average 1 egg a week, and that's fried.

omelette's are okay i guess, but i wouldn't really want to eat them often.

Maybe i could do a rocky...

I'm a fan of scrambled, goes down much easier. My no fuss days I have soft boiled. I enjoy eggs so I'm able to down them easily. Right now I'm just eating egg whites since I'm on a cut. I cook them up as an omelette.

The only issue with pulling a Rocky is supposedly the bioavailability of protein in eggs is mostly there when cooked. Something to consider.

Since your issue is mainly calorie intake I'd focus on fatty foods. Adding small fatty things here and there to supplement your main foods can add up. Like half an avocado, or using more butter than usual.

bchamba

what the hell are you talking about?

Obviously that smoking marijuana will give you Clay Matthews size biceps

edit: more seriously, I think Hunter is just getting defensive about marijuana seeing that the one topic he's created was about marijuana legalization. Nobody tried to demonize marijuana in their responses. They just pointed out that using NFL players and others as an example that you can be fit and smoke is meaningless when those athletes are probably in the top 1% of people in terms of fitness (natty or not) and could be doing lots of things that wouldn't benefit the other 99%. It would be similar to saying eating 12k calories is fine because Michael Phelps did it and he was shredded.

I need help, guys.

I have two options for trying to get leaner and more muscular.

option 1:

-cut out the carbs for lunch which means ill eat chicken or fish with vegetables. Normally I eat them with sweet potato or rice. I'll also cut out my evening snack, which is English muffin with almond butter. I'll replace that with splitting my egg consumption in a day: 25g of cooked egg whites, and evening snack two hard boiled eggs.

my total protein count should net me around close to 200g a day.

option 2

-still get rid of English muffin with almond butter, but still eat sweet potato or rice with lunch. I'll still increase my protein like in option 1, but for cutting ill run on the treadmill at the gym.

what seems like a better option for getting more cut, but add the muscle? If I run, how much should I run before I lose too many calories? Lets say I eat 2800 calories for option 2.

thanks

edit-I'm 180 6'1, and I've read in order to maintain that weight, id have to eat 2300 calories. I can do that eliminating the muffins and rice/sweet potato, or I may just lose 1-2 pounds depending on my macros daily.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I need help, guys.

I have two options for trying to get leaner and more muscular.

option 1:

-cut out the carbs for lunch which means ill eat chicken or fish with vegetables. Normally I eat them with sweet potato or rice. I'll also cut out my evening snack, which is English muffin with almond butter. I'll replace that with splitting my egg consumption in a day: 25g of cooked egg whites, and evening snack two hard boiled eggs.

my total protein count should net me around close to 200g a day.

option 2

-still get rid of English muffin with almond butter, but still eat sweet potato or rice with lunch. I'll still increase my protein like in option 1, but for cutting ill run on the treadmill at the gym.

what seems like a better option for getting more cut, but add the muscle? If I run, how much should I run before I lose too many calories? Lets say I eat 2800 calories for option 2.

thanks

edit-I'm 180 6'1, and I've read in order to maintain that weight, id have to eat 2300 calories. I can do that eliminating the muffins and rice/sweet potato, or I may just lose 1-2 pounds depending on my macros daily.

You're not going to gain muscle while you try to cut fat. Focus on the fat and choose option one with about 1800-2000 a day.

Szu

What are some good single leg quad dominant exercises?

I'm going to go with squat lunges.

ask-the-fitness-jewell-some-booty-building-squat-alternatives-1.jpg

Matugi

Only managed a single of 325 on deads. I was hoping to at least get 345 but I'll take still being able to hit 3 plates. Shouldn't take more than 4-6 weeks to get back to where I was hopefully.

mkenyon

Banned
I can post examples as I see fit. No matter if a large chunk off fighters and football players use various questionable means to be fit, they still are fit, and is part of the conversation of fitness. get over it.
Bro, I love weed.

It's still a bad argument in terms of being helpful for an amateur on GAF.
Is she lounging backwards?
Nope, looks like she's just prepping her left leg to pivot off of as she lunges forward with the left. Or it was just a bad sequence of photos to demonstrate the exercise. I'm not sure which.

J. Bravo

Bro, I love weed.

It's still a bad argument in terms of being helpful for an amateur on GAF.

Nope, looks like she's just prepping her left leg to pivot off of as she lunges forward with the left. Or it was just a bad sequence of photos to demonstrate the exercise. I'm not sure which.
Ok thanks.

And weed does not help working out. I smoke before every lift but I'm not high after I warm up.

You're not going to gain muscle while you try to cut fat. Focus on the fat and choose option one with about 1800-2000 a day.

ok, thanks. Its just the weight from 170 to 180, and the calories from that weight gain came from carbs. In result, I gained a pudge, lost definition, lost my abs, and I actually got weaker. Except for squats, which I got stronger, and legs/ass got bigger.

I looked more muscular and I was cut when I was 170 five years ago, but I was on a high protein low carb diet.

Yeah I just saw. That would chew me up even more.
It doesn't. You're thinking that it's like Stronglifts, where you're squatting every other day. It's not. Each day has one big lift, then two accessory exercises. Most complaints about 5/3/1 are that it's too slow, not that it overtrains you.

J. Bravo

To be honest, I didn't pay attention to her form. It was the first image that caught my eye.
Fair enough.

Today is the first day driving my new car after leg day. I drive a manual. Kind of nervous. Chillin in my car for a minute haha. Great workout though. Learned a lot about how far I can push myself.

5x7 @ 275 squats
3x12 @ 50s db lunges (these double as farmers carries as well apparently. My forearms are on fire. And shoulders and arms were bring noticeably worked as well).
2x10 @ 35 laying single leg curls

Dying a little bit, actually.

mkenyon

Banned
Fair enough.

Today is the first day driving my new car after leg day. I drive a manual. Kind of nervous. Chillin in my car for a minute haha. Great workout though. Learned a lot about how far I can push myself.

5x7 @ 275 squats
3x12 @ 50s db lunges (these double as farmers carries as well apparently. My forearms are on fire. And shoulders and arms were bring noticeably worked as well).
2x10 @ 35 laying single leg curls

Dying a little bit, actually.
I didnt see any posts in AutoGAF. What'd you get?

Zoe

Based on the dirt on the floor, her right leg is going backwards.

Servbot24

Banned
Do you guys do much swimming? I've been going once a week to swim laps. I am soooo terrible at it, I'm just dead after 5 laps (there and back). Hopefully I improve.

Hey gaf. Wondering on overall input about my life. Any input on any is appreciated.

I go to heated vinyasa yoga 3-4 times a week. I try to lift 2-3 times a week. I lift in the basic gym my building has. Do floor excercises, free weights, and use some of the gym equipment, they don't really have leg stuff though lol.

I eat pretty healthy I think. I cook most of my meals. Eat a lot of chicken, rice, pasta veggies and fruits. I mix it up with pork and beef at other times. Don't really go for organic.
A common meal I make is 4 chicken breasts (spiced to how I'm feeling), jar of pasta sauce, box of shell pasta, .5 onion, 3 cloves garlic and Brussels sprouts or broccoli on the side. That would last me like 4 or 5 meals. I typically eat leftovers for breakfast.

Not interested really in changing my diet completely but I'm open to suggestions. A couple specific questions I have:
1) Since I was a kid my lunch has been a turkey sandwich and fruits. I'm 29 lol. Is there anything else simple that I can be doing instead of this? Just turkey deli meat?
2) At the rate I'm working out above, should I be adding protein to my diet at all? My goal out of all of this isn't really to bulk up but become as strong and fit as I can in the body that I have. I'm 5'7", 148lbs.
3) Should I suck it up and get a real gym membership?

entremet

Do you guys do much swimming? I've been going once a week to swim laps. I am soooo terrible at it, I'm just dead after 5 laps (there and back). Hopefully I improve.

I swim, but not much recently.

Go as much as you can. It will get better. Focus on technique as well. Swimming is very technique dependent.

The best swimmers are the most efficient. They use less energy.

Servbot24

Banned
Hey gaf. Wondering on overall input about my life. Any input on any is appreciated.

I go to heated vinyasa yoga 3-4 times a week. I try to lift 2-3 times a week. I lift in the basic gym my building has. Do floor excercises, free weights, and use some of the gym equipment, they don't really have leg stuff though lol.

I eat pretty healthy I think. I cook most of my meals. Eat a lot of chicken, rice, pasta veggies and fruits. I mix it up with pork and beef at other times. Don't really go for organic.
A common meal I make is 4 chicken breasts (spiced to how I'm feeling), jar of pasta sauce, box of shell pasta, .5 onion, 3 cloves garlic and Brussels sprouts or broccoli on the side. That would last me like 4 or 5 meals. I typically eat leftovers for breakfast.

Not interested really in changing my diet completely but I'm open to suggestions. A couple specific questions I have:
1) Since I was a kid my lunch has been a turkey sandwich and fruits. I'm 29 lol. Is there anything else simple that I can be doing instead of this? Just turkey deli meat?
2) At the rate I'm working out above, should I be adding protein to my diet at all? My goal out of all of this isn't really to bulk up but become as strong and fit as I can in the body that I have. I'm 5'7", 148lbs.
3) Should I suck it up and get a real gym membership?

Sounds like you have a pretty good diet, but your lunch could be better if you wanted to go all in. Replace the deli meat with tuna, and replace the fruit with vegetables. Don't eat the bread - maybe make a tuna salad or something like that. For breakfast (or whatever that extra meal is) have oatmeal or eggs. Do all that and you'll have plenty of protein. I would say the deli meat is the worst offender for you right now, but overall it seems like you're doing fine.

I think if your gym has a squat rack, deadlift station, and room to do lunges, that's fine enough for legs. If it doesn't have that, then it seems to be missing the basic stuff and I would look into switching.

Servbot24

Banned
Sorry I should have said I hate fish lol.

I've never had oatmeal before. What am I looking for?

Just get a big tub of the Quaker Old Fashioned oatmeal (if you're in the US, not sure about elsewhere). Will be around 3 bucks and will feed you for a couple weeks. Put it in a bowl with some water and microwave it, or if you prefer you can put it on the stove and boil it. You can put whatever you like in it - cinnamon, blueberries, raisins, honey, etc. I also like putting milk in it, but that's up to you if you want the dairy. Or, you can just eat it completely plain. Oatmeal is a wonderful thing, my friend. :)

If you don't like fish, you can also try cooking a large batch of your meat of choice so that you have a week's supply to bring to work for lunch. Just avoid the deli stuff :p (assuming you're talking about pre-packaged deli. If it's fresh cut it's probably fine).

Another thing I like to bring to work is a jug of cassien (basically is a protein shake, but keeps you full longer). Helps to keep cravings away while at your desk.

BlueTsunami

Day 3 at 800 calories. I've been making sure to stay on top of hydration, and nutrients (lots of kale, and cheese for calcium). At this level it's hard to maintain iron so I bought an iron supplement earlier. Have a shipment of Orange Triad multivitamin coming in tomorrow. Also scaled back my training to two days a week, both days are full body workouts at near to maximal reps, no volume sets.

My macro makeup is something like 20F/10C/150P (in grams) lol

Oscar

I hate cutting, I love stuffing my face with food. I eat "healthy" food like chicken breast and oatmeal, but my problem is quantity/servings. Are there any supps you guys use to make up for lack of willpower when it comes to staying out the kitchen?

I'm considering caffeine pills.

#NoWillpower

I hate cutting, I love stuffing my face with food. I eat "healthy" food like chicken breast and oatmeal, but my problem is quantity/servings. Are there any supps you guys use to make up for lack of willpower when it comes to staying out the kitchen?

#NoWillpower

I like looking cut. Not having abs, and not looking vascular sucks, man.

#NoWillpower

willpower, coffee, water

BlueTsunami

#NoWillpower

It's that particular reason why High Fat/Moderate Protein diets exist. All the fat being consumed satiets you. Six eggs and four strips of bacon and I'm set for nearly the rest of the day.

nubcake

Neo Member
What would you guys recommend as the closest possible alternative (I realize there won't be any great replacements) to deadlifts? I screwed up my finger pretty bad by doing a lot of indoor rock climbing and trying to push through the pain like a moron. I then tried taking a month off but felt some pain on deadlifts, and when I tried an easy climbing session it was just as bad as it was when I stopped. I was unable to do routes that before I could do with almost no effort at all.

I don't want to completely do away with weights, but anything requiring grip strength or holding anything heavy is simply not going to allow me to heal. I'll be using machines and light weights a lot. Just wondering if there are any semi-decent deadlift substitutes that won't require a lot of grip strength. I'm probably just out of luck but I figured I'd ask you guys just in case.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

#NoWillpower
Caffeine pills won't do anything. You're looking for an easy solution but the only way is to work on your willpower. Not the answer you wanted but if it was easy everyone would be ripped.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Bleh, deadlifts wouldn't budge. Still sub-300 lifetime. I'm going to take a few days off from squats for the first time in a month and see if I feel better. Plus I'm going back to drinking a lot of whole milk, my true gains maker.

ILoveBish

Yah, this week is going to be a off week. Taking rest of week off for gym and diet is a bit more loose. Tuesday after day off I'll be starting an all new 531 session and cutting hard till mid October where I'll take another break. Then I'll be cutting hard till the new year. Goal is 209.9 or less by new year.

despire

What would you guys recommend as the closest possible alternative (I realize there won't be any great replacements) to deadlifts? I screwed up my finger pretty bad by doing a lot of indoor rock climbing and trying to push through the pain like a moron. I then tried taking a month off but felt some pain on deadlifts, and when I tried an easy climbing session it was just as bad as it was when I stopped. I was unable to do routes that before I could do with almost no effort at all.

I don't want to completely do away with weights, but anything requiring grip strength or holding anything heavy is simply not going to allow me to heal. I'll be using machines and light weights a lot. Just wondering if there are any semi-decent deadlift substitutes that won't require a lot of grip strength. I'm probably just out of luck but I figured I'd ask you guys just in case.

If you can not use your hands then maybe something like a Glute Ham Raise. It works the same muscles and is pretty hard.

Azulsky

Does anybody here use straps for front squats?

I eventually got over the wrist issues that were getting to me. I still only use 3 fingers to grab the bar but I dont have to stop mid set to rest my wrists anymore.

Doing prayer stretches and just staying consistent with doing the squat sets, even if it went lighter weight helped out.

For me one of the other things that made a difference is that I actually need to push the bar against my front delts and then roll my shoulders back with the bar against them. For some reason this works much better for me than getting my shoulders into an approximate position first then coming up underneath the bar.

I am still light weight on front squats(155x12) as my long torsoness make my back the weak point but they are getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom