• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five 'Witches' Burned Alive in Rwanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haden

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Recheck your bible. Exodus 22:18

But only one "side" claims to have a benevolent god on their team.

I realise people are going to be like oh wow get out clause time but this is simple christian doctrine.

Jesus said the only two laws you had to follow when asked, was love god and love your neighbour and your neighbour is every single person on earth. Jesus was exactly against people fulfilling certian things to get into heaven and also against hypocrasy he directly contradicted certian old testament rules.

For example religious teachers had a go at him for helping a guy on the sabbath when he healed a guy who couldn't walk I think it was. Killing witches killing muslims doing anything like this is not christian doctrine.

Again I don't want to derail this thread. But I would say that you can not rule out the possibility of grudge settling. If this isn't the case then the interpritation of the Bible is just plain wrong.e

Ironballs

James Power said:
There's a reason why this whole continent was so easily exploited by all surrounding it: They had little achievements of themselves. But that isn't even the problem. The main problem is that unlike other colonized regions they lack the ability to catch up. There's no reason for them not to with all the help they've gotten over the years. Still they fail in a ridiculous manner. There's not a single beacon of hope there, not even one example and every achievement worth mentioning is an imported one.

People also don't understand that most of Africa is quite content with its situation, as surprising as it may sound. The lack of ambition to strive for Western ideals is one of the main reasons for the continent's state. Just listen to some of the people that got out of there and what they have to say about their fellow men and the African philosophy. Yet the West is still sending their aid packages and wondering why things don't change. So, you can either re-colonize Africa and force Western culture upon them by necessity or you lay back, stop complaining and let them do what they want.

(neutral) James Power
Social Darwinist
(Today, 04:39 AM)
Reply | Quote

James Power said:
There's a reason why this whole continent was so easily exploited by all surrounding it: They had little achievements of themselves.

This is bullshit. There is a reason, but it's called gunpowder.

harSon

Banned
James Power said:
You are contradicting yourself. First you are hinting at the evils of Imperialism and then you complain about it not finishing its job. So what is it?

But that doesn't matter anyway, because the reason for Africa's current state has nothing to do with Imperialism. In fact the colonization was probably the sole positive contributer to the continent in terms of cultural advancement. Without it Africa would be off even worse. Some people like to pretend that if only Africa had been left alone it would be this flowering utopia by now, but reality looks quite different.

There's a reason why this whole continent was so easily exploited by all surrounding it: They had little achievements of themselves. But that isn't even the problem. The main problem is that unlike other colonized regions they lack the ability to catch up. There's no reason for them not to with all the help they've gotten over the years. Still they fail in a ridiculous manner. There's not a single beacon of hope there, not even one example and every achievement worth mentioning is an imported one.

People also don't understand that most of Africa is quite content with its situation, as surprising as it may sound. The lack of ambition to strive for Western ideals is one of the main reasons for the continent's state. Just listen to some of the people that got out of there and what they have to say about their fellow men and the African philosophy. Yet the West is still sending their aid packages and wondering why things don't change. So, you can either re-colonize Africa and force Western culture upon them by necessity or you lay back, stop complaining and let them do what they want.

Nobody cares about your bigoted outlooks on the world James Power.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
James Power said:
You are contradicting yourself. First you are hinting at the evils of Imperialism and then you complain about it not finishing its job. So what is it?

But that doesn't matter anyway, because the reason for Africa's current state has nothing to do with Imperialism. In fact the colonization was probably the sole positive contributer to the continent in terms of cultural advancement. Without it Africa would be off even worse. Some people like to pretend that if only Africa had been left alone it would be this flowering utopia by now, but reality looks quite different.

See, I am looking past your posting history and genuinely looking at this post here and I can understand a lot of the points you are saying.

Africa (as a whole) wasn't exactly a shining example of technological and sociological growth when it was colonized all those years ago, so it wouldn't be far fetched to say that even if it was left alone, it would not have prospered the same way as a lot of the 'western' world did. But not all of Africa was stuck in a rut, and it is a little ridiculous to make any broad statements like "It would have been worse off without colonization/colonization was the single good thing that happened to Africa". Well actually thats more than a little ridiculous to say.

Africa has achieved plenty, and there are plenty of 'beacons of hope' as I see it, unless we have different definitions of hope here.

Also, "aid to Africa" is a relatively new practice, at least in the scale it is going in today. Do you expect a sudden turn around in the entire conutry and have it become a Mirror image of the United States, or the UK or something? If it takes longer than it took the west, is that a reason to discount the entire continent and abandon them?

And "most of Africa is quite content with their situation" - well thats just bullshit. I'm not idiotic enough to make such broad statements, and I come from/visit Africa. You can't know what most of Africa feels, and even if what you said was true - you cant ignore the desires of the minority.

So while I see what you are trying to say, it's all still pretty ridiculous.

Ironballs

More food for thought: if Europe had left Africa alone, would the west have prospered the way it did?

Short answer: no.

Dina

Ironballs said:
More food for thought: if Europe had left Africa alone, would the west have prospered the way it did?

Short answer: no.

Europe was (when compared to other continents) well advanced before the 1500s, all by themselves and with constant invasions and inner turmoil to deal with.

Slaves, spices and other shipped in resources helped them, but it was not the driving force.

Ironballs

Dina said:
Europe was (when compared to other continents) well advanced before the 1500s, all by themselves and with constant invasions and inner turmoil to deal with.

Slaves, spices and other shipped in resources helped them, but it was not the driving force.

I'm including the Americas when i say "west."

Chrono

Banned
This really didn't hit me as hard as it did most people here (thank you internet). I've had so much rotten filth exposed to me that I don't think it's possible to hate humans more than I do. Most of it however isn't graphic stuff like this though, but a general conclusion on human nature and values that recently greatly shaped my view of the world. It's like I've seen anything of value burn like those poor innocent people, burned by self-righteous hypocritical and fanatical filth that make up the human race.

Haden said:
I realise people are going to be like oh wow get out clause time but this is simple christian doctrine.

Jesus said the only two laws you had to follow when asked, was love god and love your neighbour and your neighbour is every single person on earth. Jesus was exactly against people fulfilling certian things to get into heaven and also against hypocrasy he directly contradicted certian old testament rules.

For example religious teachers had a go at him for helping a guy on the sabbath when he healed a guy who couldn't walk I think it was. Killing witches killing muslims doing anything like this is not christian doctrine.

Again I don't want to derail this thread. But I would say that you can not rule out the possibility of grudge settling. If this isn't the case then the interpritation of the Bible is just plain wrong.e

It is still in the book and still encourages simpletons. Much like the stuff about gays in Leviticus.

FiRez

Steppenwolf said:
Of course it is. I respond to the people who think that europeans or christianity are to blame for this, which is a pretty stupid assumption considering that africa was already a backwarded disease infested grade A shithole long before the first european set his foot on this land.

You can't blame all the shit that is going on on this continent on the colonialization when infact without it people would still live like in the stoneages and their daily struggle for survival would be just the same.

if you remove all the names, places and tradition, at the core you have the same superticious belief that promotes backwards thinking: religion.

people should live their lives based on reality and start thinking for themselves, at least a big part of the current conflicts and atrocities will come to an end if this was the case.

Trurl

Banned
I watched about 20 seconds of the video and had to stop it. This must be the worst thing I have ever seen.

I can't comprehend the complete lack of empathy needed for something like this to take place.

If the right conditions can lead humans to act like this it's amazing that anything good has ever come from our species.

I really don't know what to say.
I'm sorry but I need to turn off my computer and cry a little.
I always had a lot of faith in humanity... I don't know what will left after viewing this.
In what can you believe, who can you trust.

I don't believe a simple video could have change the way I'm seeing other humans. I have no words.

Ranger X

I'm always trying to get positive conclusions from bad stuff. Trying to see life under some positive light. I recognise that here it's hard but I really feel for the third world and especially in Africa because well, life generally is shit over there and nobody deserve that. (I understand we are seeing an extreme here)

STILL, maybe the rest of the world needs to see this video. Maybe they need to see more of that because it seems we are a bunch of unconscious basturds. Confortly blinded by our super societies and our complex system of easy living.

Stuff that goes on EVERYDAY in Africa is terrible and this basically because of the vicious cycle of corruption going on there. To "turn Africa around" we need more than just donations and bullshit like that. Africa needs a revolution no less. We need to "team up" the rest of the world and support African that would want to change things around.

Problem is, and this is where you're starting to see the cycle, too many people overthere still have what I would qualify "pre-1950 education" due to poverty and their survival situation. They need education in order to be more conscious about the world AND THEIR OWN REALITY so they wake up and team up to change their own fate. Only when we help them raise, give them that kick start they will be able to turn things around.

But who would really save Africa? nada. There's no $$$ to make out of this or nobody would enter such long term project. We prefer to go there and try to have some business with the minority of people over there that have the money and also are in control of their part of the land. The powerful people of Africa in return don't even want this to change" Their business with the rest of the world gives them power and a ease of life.

So this is where it breaks any chance for Africa to truly evolve, to truly kill that poverty problem they face. Fuck, this is like the richest continent, we all participate in making money with it yet we never really think for the good of future generations.

And this why I think this world is fucking sad and watching this video enrages me.

daw840

Everyone saying that their "faith" in humanity is lost and that the human race is terrible need to take a step back and evaluate that just a little bit. Of course stories, videos, and pictures like this one are going to get blown way out of proportion. It's the same issue as the gun control issue. The really bad and terrible incidents are going to be reported on and made a big deal out of, but the many good things that happen never get reported past the people who did them. For every horrendously terrible act like this, I would be willing to say there is 4-5 tremendously generous and kindhearted acts that were done somewhere else in the world.

Chrono

Banned
daw840 said:
Everyone saying that their "faith" in humanity is lost and that the human race is terrible need to take a step back and evaluate that just a little bit. Of course stories, videos, and pictures like this one are going to get blown way out of proportion. It's the same issue as the gun control issue. The really bad and terrible incidents are going to be reported on and made a big deal out of, but the many good things that happen never get reported past the people who did them. For every horrendously terrible act like this, I would be willing to say there is 4-5 tremendously generous and kindhearted acts that were done somewhere else in the world.

Those people doing those generous things are most likely themselves rotten cunts if you come to know them in detail beyond their generous acts.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Heh, terrible, oh wells guess thats why they all got AIDS.

How are you not banned yet? The first post said no jokes, this is in terribly bad taste.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chrono said:
Those people doing those generous things are most likely themselves rotten cunts if you come to know them in detail beyond their generous acts.
Pessimism much?

I mean I'm quite a darwinist bastard myself. I believe that altruism is actually a way of benefiting one's self in the long run... and yet that's just the explanation for why we see so much self-less altruism... because we actually do. People regularly are kind to strangers, they volunteer for many causes, friendships flourish....

So much good stuff goes on in this world in every country of the world... it's just not, as someone mentioned before... newsworthy.

I think it's very interesting how people are all like "oh humanity, you fail, etc.". I appreciate the concept of viewing mankind as one brotherhood... but in a sense that is a rather religious notion. If some humans on this planet do some horrible things... does it really reflect on all 6 billion? No it doesn't. I like viewing any person on this earth as a potential brother... but if they do something unimaginably horrible, it shouldn't necessarily reflect on all of us.

KR3W

Banned
And this is why people consider Africans to be fucking savages, man. Fuck that continent. That was terrible...in every sense of the word.

goddam.

btw: I'm not trying to be racist or anything, I'm just appalled at this disgusting violent act. So please don't get the wrong idea.

v1cious

Banned
gotta love underdeveloped countries "hey guys we just want you to sit inside this pile of leaves and burn. don't try to run or anything". you'd think they would at least use something to ignite it.

Teknoman

KR3W said:
And this is why people consider Africans to be fucking savages, man. Fuck that continent. That was terrible...in every sense of the word.

goddam.

btw: I'm not trying to be racist or anything, I'm just appalled at this disgusting violent act. So please don't get the wrong idea.

Well its not African people or even the continent as a whole. Its just a few select people, and even then, the normal residents couldnt do anything to resist.

Amnesty quoted a witness as saying that security forces vowed "that anyone who tries to escape will be buried six feet under." The prisoners were then taken to Mr Jammeh's farm in his native Kanilai, east of the capital.

Its not the people, its the crazy warlord/dictator style guys that take over in coups and then force their beliefs on people. And we all know every race/nationality has its share of crazy people. It would be like...people in the WWII era saying fuck Germany because of what the Nazis did.

On top of that, to my knowledge anyway, no other country seems to be able help the underdeveloped parts out...but that might not be such a good ideal either.

Lebron

KR3W said:

goddam.
Yes, because Africa is a country and everyone acts alike. :rollseyes:

KR3W

Banned
Teknoman said:
Well its not African people or even the continent as a whole. Its just a few select people, and even then, the normal residents couldnt do anything to resist.

Amnesty quoted a witness as saying that security forces vowed "that anyone who tries to escape will be buried six feet under." The prisoners were then taken to Mr Jammeh's farm in his native Kanilai, east of the capital.

Its not the people, its the crazy warlord/dictator style guys that take over in coups and then force their beliefs on people. And we all know every race/nationality has its share of crazy people. It would be like...people in the WWII era saying fuck Germany because of what the Nazis did.

On top of that, to my knowledge anyway, no other country seems to be able help the underdeveloped parts out...but that might not be such a good ideal either.
Thanks for clarifying that; but I meant that because of stuff like this, stereotypes exist. But burying someone 6 feet under would be worse than being burned alive...ouch.

Oh, and to the dumb fucker that quoted me, I know Africa is not a country, dipshit---that's why I called it a continent. Reading is fundamental.

goddam.

Teknoman

KR3W said:
Thanks for clarifying that; but I meant that because of stuff like this, stereotypes exist. But burying someone 6 feet under would be worse than being burned alive...ouch.

Yeah, its like either way you're screwed.

Fina1e

I watched the entire thing, but I turned the sound off. I really doubt that I could of made it to the end with sound. But what the fuck is going through these people's heads that causes this shit to happen? It's almost surreal.

KR3W

Banned
Lebron said:
Hey dude, I'm not the one who said "And this is why people consider Africans to be fucking savages."

goddamn

Yeah, many people consider Africa as a whole to be an uncivilized and savage continent...that's obviously not entirely true. I was saying that shit like this video feed this stereotype.

Besides, do you think beating someone with a stick and throwing them in a pit of fire for something they aren't even guilty for something a civilized person would do?

goddam.

I never want to see that ever again :(
I've seen horrible, horrible things on the internet, and this may take the cake as being the most barbaric and ruthless.

nyong

Banned
Nothing too shocking to me. I'm a cynical bastard, though. Mankind sucks.

People are beaten, tortured, and murdered every day on every continent in a similar manner. Even worse. These particular people might justify their violence for religious superstitions, but this shit plays out for all kinds of other reasons. Race, religion, crime, politics....it doesn't matter. Imagine watching a video of the Japanese or Nazi medical experiments on live prisoners. Including dissecting prisoners while they're conscious. Or dragging a homosexual man behind a vehicle until his body falls to pieces. Or beating a young girl to death because she misbehaves. Do you think that any of that would be easier to watch?

I think that when most people hear about stuff on the news, they filter the story and their imagined images through the sanitized media. In real life, when people kill other people, it's always a horrible thing to witness. Far more terrible than people want to imagine.

I think that it is good that people watch stuff like this, if only once, so that they are aware of just how evil it really is. Until you see evil and suffering with your own eyes, you will never really understand it.

Lebron

KR3W said:
Yeah, many people consider Africa as a whole to be an uncivilized and savage continent...that's obviously not entirely true. I was saying that shit like this video feed this stereotype.

Besides, do you think beating someone with a stick and throwing them in a pit of fire for something they aren't even guilty for something a civilized person would do?
Civilized has nothing to do with it. There are civilized countries that have been guilty of doing inhuman acts, it is what it is. Careless jackasses roam everywhere, sadly. Anyway, I was just replying to what you said, not what you implied. I'm sorry if I offended you, that video got me worked up since I have some cousins who are part Kenyan.

Teknoman

Fina1e said:
I watched the entire thing, but I turned the sound off. I really doubt that I could of made it to the end with sound. But what the fuck is going through these people's heads that causes this shit to happen? It's almost surreal.

Actually with sound, its just the visuals that were messed up. The only sounds were the people speaking their native language...and I guess environmental stuff.

KR3W

Banned
Lebron said:
Civilized has nothing to do with it. There are civilized countries that have been guilty of doing inhuman acts, it is what it is. Careless jackasses roam everywhere, sadly. Anyway, I was just replying to what you said, not what you implied. I'm sorry if I offended you, that video got me worked up since I have some cousins who are part Kenyan.
Oh, I know. You didn't offend me at all. I, myself, was worked up from the video. It's a really disgusting and rather sad thing. Mankind is a lost cause.

goddam.

wow it's like the salem witch trails
i guess that means rawandan culture is about 420 years behind ours.
watching shit like this with nobody reporting it or alerting the authorities makes me think colonization was right
tribal genocide, witch burning
this is clearly a society that is either unwilling or unable to fix itself and therefore should be fixed by outside forces

Ironballs

All you people saying "colonialism was probably a good thing" can't be serious.

Somebody should post a video of a drive by shooting so you fucktards can say "lol slavery was a good thing!"

This video did not shock me.

I already was aware a lot of sick, twisted shit goes on daily across the world. I shouldn't be too surprised if some of it makes it to Youtube or whatever.

As for whether colonialism was a good thing or not, doesn't really matter. Instead of blaming other parties, let's fix the problem, shall we?

Ironballs

The Experiment said:
As for whether colonialism was a good thing or not, doesn't really matter. Instead of blaming other parties, let's fix the problem, shall we?

Can't really fix a problem when you don't know what's going on.

Ugh, Awful and horrible.

I wonder how we managed to bring to those people diseases, spoil their goodness, slave them create new frontieres like if was some kind of cake sharing which provoked deadly conflicts... but we weren't capable of implement some common sense or rather some of the few good things that our society reached in those 2.000 years? Probably because it's good for our interest they stay this way...

What a bunch of bastards we were/are.

How fix a problem when the major parties involved don't care about the problem at all? and seriously, we fucked up that much that part of the planet that I hardly doubt there's any fix.

Lakitu

st5fu
Every day I see stuff in the news, I've seen so many fucked up things in the news, but this takes the cake. Humanity is fucked.

Ironballs

Relaxed Muscle said:
I wonder how we managed to bring to those people diseases, spoil their goodness, slave them create new frontieres like if was some kind of cake sharing which provoked deadly conflicts... but we weren't capable of implement some common sense or rather some of the few good things that our society reached in those 2.000 years? Probably because it's good for our interest they stay this way...

Don't be too surprised. The same thing almost happened to black people in the US. Problem was, they didn't do a good enough job hiding the books from us.

thaOwner

goddam said:

goddam.

Yes, that was fucking disgusting but You know, Africa is a not a single entity. Its a collection of different people ( some are FUCKED up). But
I can tell you that, not everywhere in Africa are like this.

Ironballs

Neo-Sheperd said:
Yes, that was fucking disgusting but You know, Africa is a not a single entity. Its a collection of different people ( some are FUCKED up). But
I can tell you that, not everywhere in Africa are like this.

Its like looking at the stuff that was going on in Bosnia and saying "MAN, EUROPEANS ARE REALLY FUCKED UP!!!"

thaOwner

Ironballs said:
Its like looking at the stuff that was going on in Bosnia and saying "MAN, EUROPEANS ARE REALLY FUCKED UP!!!"
or the shit that happened with the JONESTOWN MASSACRE and going ...you get the idea. That was very stupid
and ignorant of him. People do crazier shit but because they are never 'caught' on film, its a free pass.

KR3W

Banned
Neo-Sheperd said:
or the shit that happened with the JONESTOWN MASSACRE and going ...you get the idea. That was very stupid
and ignorant of him. People do crazier shit but because they are never 'caught' on film, its a free pass.
Yeah, this shit happens everywhere. I hate people sometimes. I really can't imagine the pain these people were going through whist burning. Such a tragic way to die.

goddam.

Chrono

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Ugh, Awful and horrible.

What a bunch of bastards we were/are.

How fix a problem when the major parties involved don't care about the problem at all? and seriously, we fucked up that much that part of the planet that I hardly doubt there's any fix.

Poor witch-burning animals, they didn't learn common sense from Europeans! If only trillions of aid money achieved that, but those damn colonialists!

It's fucking disgusting to see something so filthy and so fucking rotten, and immediately cast blame on what suits your ideology.

Such a heinous video you watched, and not a fucking word on the animals committing it.

I guess at least you didn't try justifying it or saying it's not that terrible or [insert hypocritical liberal sugarcoating of reality], that's something, but I'm pretty sure if I spend some time on the internet reading about this I'll find something like that (perhaps even plenty of it).

I wonder how in the future people will react when biology advances to a point where differences between 'races' are analyzed in detail and somebody out there publishes something that might explain part of Africa's (well, mid/south 'black' Africa, that's where the real mess is) problems. Oh, I can not wait until the leftists join the religious scum in condemning science and Darwin/evolution (already getting close with biotech - starving African children? Please die, we're having too much fun with these protests, down with the man!) like two sides of the same coin! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom