• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabian Blogger Flogged 50 times for insulting Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaniel

Banned
And this is why it's ludicrous to expect the average Muslim in the Middle East (and Saudi Arabia especially) to speak out against terrorist attacks. If what they say publicly is even slightly misconstrued as anti-Islam, then the Saudi government and/or jihadi groups will exact swift (and often fatal) justice. The average moderate or progressive Muslim (i.e. most of them) are just as much the victims of extremist Islamic terrorism or overly literal interpretation of the punishments as dictated under Sharia law as anyone else.

thank you. But it doesn't really give me a sense of how painful that is.. the guy is taking it like it's nothing. Surely he must be tough as hell?

Saudi Arabia is one country i would never visit. No fucking chance

It looks like it's embarrassing more than anything. Maybe some soreness? Don't know.

wildfire

Banned
Don´t be crazy.
Death penalty for leaving Islam and flogging for insullting Islam obviously have nothing to do with Islam. *Insert random majority buzzword*

If you have a post of someone saying they don't see the death penalty clause in the Koran I'm all ears. Otherwise get out of here with your blatant strawman.

He isn't even Anti-Islam.

He was specifically writing critically about Senior Religious Leaders in Saudia Arabia and how their interpretation of Islam was wrong.

His lawyer that was jailed for being a terrorist? He founded the organization Monitor of Human Rights in Saudi Arabia. He was sentenced to 15 years in jail and then after that 15 YEARS of no travel. He literally can't leave Saudi Arabia for 30 years.

There you go, nothing to do with Islam but to protect their monarchy and paid religious leaders. As usual its about their own agenda and making sure no one rebels against their system. The SA govt is one of the worst and corrupt but that doesn't stop west to use them and keep them in power because you know its helping their agenda. Talk about the blatant hypocrisy.

But if this guy was really guilty of such thing in a "real" Islamic country where all laws of Islam are upheld and there is due diligence and they had a justice system that was not corrupt and they decide some punishment according to their laws, why does it bother everyone. Its their country, its their law, they can implement the laws as they see fit. Imagine some country doing same to a western country 'hey we don't like this and that law, it just doesn't look right to us...change it'. What would be their answer, 'lol mind your own business'.

norinrad

Jeez we should not only wrongfully punish a man, but we should give out a signal by messing up his lawyer too as a warning to other lawyers who dare defend any person accused by us. Signed the religious police.

Zaph

is there an eta on that?
Doesn't matter. The Saudi's, Qatari's etc are all funnelling their billions into overseas Western investments (namely property). Even if the oil runs dry, they'll maintain relevance and influence via other means.

params7

Banned
I'm so glad we're allied with such a tyrannical regime. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I remember when the US was about to attack Syria over chemical weapons and people praising Saudi Arabia for being our ally.

Saudi Arabia has pretty much the most inhumane laws in the world. It shouldn't be anywhere close to receiving US support. Dat oil tho

I remember when the US was about to attack Syria over chemical weapons and people praising Saudi Arabia for being our ally.

Saudi Arabia has pretty much the most inhumane laws in the world. It shouldn't be anywhere close to receiving US support. Dat oil tho
It just shows the world how hypocritical the West really is. We talk about justice, democracy and human rights, but only when it's convenient for us. Makes me sick.

As a terrorist living in these godless western countries, it must be nice to have these role model countries to look up to that do the same deeds you do. Not fringe groups of people, whole fucking officially recognized countries.
Should help justifying killing innocent satirists even if the local "moderate" muslim community condemns such actions (but doesn't disagree that the satirists doing something wrong in the first place).

You would think that export dependent nations can be financially pressured into being more lax on their Sharia laws, but I guess they are not in the weaker position to bargain.

wEj5UGv.jpg

Just saw this billboard at a train station.
A thousand lashes for blogging.
Your letter can save his life.
Link to the German campaign which calls for e-mail & mail storming oft the Saudi institutions:

https://www.amnesty.de/urgent-actio...morgen?destination=startseite&linkId=11624718

Report about the first round of lashing:
http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/flogging-raif-badawi-saudi-arabia-vicious-act-cruelty-2015-01-09

Disgusting.

But I just cannot see things changing there anytime soon.

Religions really depress me when I think of all the needless suffering they have caused and still cause to this day. One day in the future, humanity will look back in shame at what we did to ourselves in the name of our beliefs in the tales from old storybooks.

Mohonky

Something we did in the west 500 years ago too :/
People suck.

Key point, 500yrs ago

When the west talks about punishing offenders for offenses of free speech or questioning religion, we call that the dark ages, Saudi calls it whatever day of the week it happens to be.

Just saw this billboard at a train station.
A thousand lashes for blogging.
Your letter can save his life.
Link to the German campaign which calls for e-mail & mail storming oft the Saudi institutions:

https://www.amnesty.de/urgent-actio...morgen?destination=startseite&linkId=11624718

Report about the first round of lashing:
http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/flogging-raif-badawi-saudi-arabia-vicious-act-cruelty-2015-01-09

Very heart-warming to see this. Should be worldwide, but everything has to start somewhere.

He got what he deserved.

The fuck? Explain why he got what he deserved. I'm having a very hard time understanding your position.

markot

Banned
Why would people go to watch these sorts of things? Or the public executions?

I can understand in ye olde times when there was literally nothing else to do.... But what do they get out of it now?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are these also extremist "not real Muslims", as people like to say when horrible things are done in the name of Islam? Well, obviously they're extremist. But probably rather mainstream in that region? Fucking stone age barbarians.

DiscoJer

Disgusting.

But I just cannot see things changing there anytime soon.

Religions really depress me when I think of all the needless suffering they have caused and still cause to this day. One day in the future, humanity will look back in shame at what we did to ourselves in the name of our beliefs in the tales from old storybooks.

Then again, when you compare it to the deeds of people who didn't believe in those (the communist regimes in China, Russia, Cambodia. Frances Reign of Terror after the revolution), there's not a whole lot of difference.

Why would people go to watch these sorts of things? Or the public executions?

I can understand in ye olde times when there was literally nothing else to do.... But what do they get out of it now?

Granted, I grew up in the 70s and 80s, but whenever there would be a school fight, a crowd would always gather around. I think part of being a hunting animal, we simply have an attraction towards violence, no different than a cat purring and thrashing its tail when it sees a bird outside a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom