• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks some twitter user backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

Barack Obama was in Riyadh on Tuesday to pay his respects to the late Saudi King Abdullah. His visit, for which he cut short a much-hyped trip to India, underscores how important the U.S.-Saudi relationship remains to the American leadership. On social media, however, much of the attention has focused on something else: His wife's attire.

More than 1,500 tweets using the hashtag #ميشيل_أوباما_سفور (roughly, #Michelle_Obama_unveiled) were sent Tuesday, many of which criticized the first lady. Some users pointed out that on a recent trip to Indonesia, Michelle had worn a headscarf. Why not in Saudi Arabia?

HeaqKlH.png

Still, the Obamas' trip to Saudi Arabia comes at a time of remarkable international criticism of Saudi Arabia's human rights record, prompted largely by the flogging of blogger Raif Badawi for insulting Islam. The trip was apparently designed to be apolitical – Obama has said he was "unlikely" to discuss Badawi's case with the new Saudi king.

But in Saudi Arabia, the simple act of not covering your head can be political, intentionally or not.

Washington Post

giphy.gif

Kibbles

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Didn't Selena Gomez get hate for cultural appropriation for wearing one? lol

terrene

Banned
Oh darn, did she not submit like the frightened, oppressed women you're used to? That must have been rough.

Good. Let them simmer. Their culture needs to be disregarded as many times as it takes for them to stop taking this sort of thing as an offense.

Piggus

Kinda funny that she would wear one in Indonesia and not SA. Indonesia's brand of Islam is pretty relaxed compared to the middle east and girls not covering up is totally normal and acceptable there, especially when it comes to the younger generation. Well, at least in Jakarta from my experience. My gf is Indonesian and muslim and her and the vast majority of her friends don't wear a headscarf unless they're at a mosque or doing some other activity that's specifically religious. Even my gf's mom doesn't wear one and she's pretty religious.

liquidtmd

Banned
I detest how one simple oversight can spark such 'backlash' and outrage.

Yes, not wearing a headscarf means she hates you. She'll probably receive death threats because of it. Smh

Cyan

Banned
Shocking. Michelle should've been forced to wear a headscarf, just as we force women who come to America from Saudi Arabia to forgo them.

Mimosa97

You shouldn't be forced to wear one anywhere.

List of muslims countries that i know of and where you're not forced to wear a headscarf : Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Indonesia, Dubai, Egypt, Syria, Jordan etc... You could also say Turkey even though it's not a muslim country per se.

In fact, there are very few muslim countries where wearing a headscarf is mandatory for women. And yeah, it's a disgrace and such rules shouldn't even exist.

Kinda funny that she would wear one in Indonesia and not SA. Indonesia's brand of Islam is pretty relaxed compared to the middle east and girls not covering up is totally normal and acceptable there, especially when it comes to the younger generation. Well, at least in Jakarta from my experience. My gf is Indonesian and muslim and her and the vast majority of her friends don't wear a headscarf unless they're at a mosque or doing some other activity that's specifically religious. Even my gf's mom doesn't wear one and she's pretty religious.
I think it makes sense. When you visit a foreign country that doesn't force customs and traditions down your throat you might feel like you want to indulge or even participate in their practices if given the chance. When you visit a place where people are regularly forced to adhere to strict rules and standards you might not be as compliant and forgiving. If I were one of the most well known women in the world I'd relish the chance to make backwards (only backwards, not normal and progressive) Saudis squirm.

Mista Koo

Hijabs aren't "Muslim" things, it's a cultural thing. Hijabs are completely optional in the Quran.
They are Muslim things and not "optional." Unless by optional you mean you are not forced to wear them then yes (no one should be forced to wear it).

Madness

Imagine if Hillary Clinton becomes the next President. Do you actually expect her to wear a headscarf to visit Saudi Arabia as the most powerful person in the world and leader of the only superpower?

It's ultimately Michelle Obama's choice. She chose to wear one in Indonesia, she didn't here. Get over it.

Jburton

Banned
She's not Muslim. Why would she be forced to do Muslim things?

She is visiting a Muslim land, only an ignorant fool disregards the traditions of the people in whose land they are in.

People operating within diplomatic circles should be aware of this.

sandy1297

List of muslims countries that i know of and where you're not forced to wear a headscarf : Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Indonesia, Dubai, Egypt, Syria, Jordan etc... You could also say Turkey even though it's not a muslim country per se.

In fact, there are very few muslim countries where wearing a headscarf is mandatory for women. And yeah, it's a disgrace and such rules shouldn't even exist.

Indonesia is not a muslim country

Mimosa97

They are Muslim things and not "optional." Unless by optional you mean you are not forced to wear them then yes (no one should be forced to wear it).

Headscarfs aren't a muslim thing. My grand-mother was very catholic and when she got old she started wearing headscarfs. Nuns do too. I know jewish hassidic women here in Montreal who cover their hair. So please tell me, how is that a muslim thing ?

And yeah it's optional in the Qu'ran. Nowhere is it written that muslim women have to cover their hair. It's more of a cultural thing.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
She is visiting a Muslim land, only an ignorant fool disregards the traditions of the people in whose land they are in.

People operating within diplomatic circles should be aware of this.
So everyone visiting America should carry a bald eagle and an AK-47?

(I don't even know what kind of gun that is.)

Shocking. Michelle should've been forced to wear a headscarf, just as we force women who come to America from Saudi Arabia to forgo them.
1. Are women forced to wear a piece of clothing?

2. If the answer to question 1 is yes, then you live in an oppresive country.

You could expand this to racism and others.

I think it makes sense. When you visit a foreign country that doesn't force customs and traditions down your throat you might feel like you want to indulge or even participate in their practices if given the chance. When you visit a place where people are regularly forced to adhere to strict rules and standards you might not be as compliant and forgiving. If I were one of the most well known women in the world I'd relish the chance to make backwards (only backwards, not normal and progressive) Saudis squirm.
Exactly! This is the answer. Fuck those oppressive assholes.

It's time Western culture started some traditions we can force on our visitors. I call for basketball shorts hanging off your arse and Air Jordan shoes of ridiculous colours as a starting point, for all women :)

Oh and the only acceptable headdress is a sideways baseball cap.

FZZ

Banned

That's what optional means. And yes it is cultural, headscarves are popular among non-Muslim around the world too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom