• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks some twitter user backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisoner

She should respect her husbands religious beliefs.

clapping-obama-149_bigger.gif

MUnited83

For you.
I find the people who say "oh, you should respect other country's traditions" completely hilarious. Fuck that.

You don't get respect on your traditions when you have a shitload of "traditions" that are complete violations of human rights. You get respect when your laws and traditions stop being a shitstain on human rights, and not a second before.

I assume you guys with the "respect other country's conditions" argument are ok with stonings,lashes, getting punished for being raped, and a whole myriad of other barbaric shit. After all, it's tradition.

Respect is not given. It's earned. And guess what? Saudi Arabia didn't earn it yet, they are very far from it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So maybe she didn't what to wear one in Saudi Arabia! It's her purgative so fuck off "#ميشيل_أوباما_سفور " people.

So why are girls required a scarf but not guys?

Muslim women wear headscarfs because the Virgin Mary is almost always depicted wearing one. It's a popular look because Mary represents modesty and humility.

But it's not a religious requirement. The headscarf is popular in the middle east, but I find muslims from african, and asian countries rarely wear it.

Trago

Muslim women wear headscarfs because the Virgin Mary is almost always depicted wearing one. It's a popular look because Mary represents modesty and humility.

But it's not a religious requirement. The headscarf is popular in the middle east, but I find muslims from african, and asian countries rarely wear it.

That's not strictly factual. There are muslim women who do wear it 100% of the time they actually pray.

That's ridiculous. Muslim women wearing a headscarf has nothing to do with Mary appearing veiled in Catholic icons.

It's mandated in the Qur'an. It's mandated in the hadeeth. It's mandated in all the traditional exegeses of the Qur'an. It's mandated in the four primary schools of thought (those that Wahhabis don't even follow).

Women can choose to not veil, but it will be considered a sin, just how women (and men) can choose to not pray or fast in Ramadhan.

Also, non-Muslim women in Saudi Arabia DO NOT VEIL. Anyone that has even visited Saudi Arabia will tell you that only Muslim women wear the veil. Non-Muslims from the Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, as well as expatriate women workers from the UK, US, Germany, etc. do not wear the veil. What is required of them is to wear a loose robe when outside, but it is still not required when at their workplace.

I get that culture is law, but if we treated its infractions as we do jaywalking we might live in a better world :/

That being said, anyone offended by her not wearing a headscarf needs to grow up/get with the times/stop acting like a primate/ect.

KingFire

Banned
Also, non-Muslim women in Saudi Arabia DO NOT VEIL. Anyone that has even visited Saudi Arabia will tell you that only Muslim women wear the veil. Non-Muslims from the Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, as well as expatriate women workers from the UK, US, Germany, etc. do not wear the veil. What is required of them is to wear a loose robe when outside, but it is still not required when at their workplace.

Actually a lot of them choose to wear it just to blend in. I have seen non-Muslims wear it for that reason.

The veil would have disappeared a long time ago in the ME if it was not required in the Qur'an.

Hijabs are not necessarily mandated by the Qu'ran. My sisters, for example, do not wear them.

A lot of Muslim women don't wear them. But then again, a lot of Muslims don't pray.

The actions of Muslims do not necessarily show whether something is mandated in Islam or not. The hijab most definitely is something mandated. Someone already posted a link to some verses. The words used in the Qur'an to refer to hijab of women are jilbaab (surah 33) and khimaar (surah 24). You can do a Google search to see exactly what those two words refer to.

Actually a lot of them choose to wear it just to blend in. I have seen non-Muslims wear it for that reason.

The veil would have disappeared a long time ago in the ME if it was not required in the Qur'an.

Just how a lot of Muslim women do not wear the veil to blend in in Western society.

And no, I really doubt that hijab would have disappeared had the Qur'an not mandated it. Many Orthodox Christian women wear the veil, whether they be Russian or Greek Orthodox as well as many Catholics, particularly nuns.

Good luck doing that in Riyadh as a woman of any faith. Mutawa will aggressively harass you.

That's not strictly factual. There are muslim women who do wear it 100% of the time they actually pray.
I'll admit I don't know much about their religious ceremonies. When I said they don't wear it I meant moreso in general public areas.

That's ridiculous. Muslim women wearing a headscarf has nothing to do with Mary appearing veiled in Catholic icons.

It's mandated in the Qur'an. It's mandated in the hadeeth. It's mandated in all the traditional exegeses of the Qur'an. It's mandated in the four primary schools of thought (those that Wahhabis don't even follow).
I guess it's something like eating pork. Even though the bible identifies pigs as unclean animals that should not be consumed, there are many christian denominations that eat pork anyway. Maybe some sects of Islam take headscarfs more seriously than others.

Also, I have several muslim friends who have told me about that Mary thing. I don't think they would make that up. Plus, if you look at any picture of Mary she is always dressed like a stereotypical muslim woman. That can't be a coincidence.

Infinite

I'll admit I don't know much about their religious ceremonies. When I said they don't wear it I meant moreso in general public areas.

I guess it's something like eating pork. Even though the bible identifies pigs as unclean animals that should not be consumed, there are many christian denominations that eat pork anyway. Maybe some sects of Islam take headscarfs more seriously than others.

Also, I have several muslim friends who have told me about that Mary thing. I don't think they would make that up. Plus, if you look at any picture of Mary she is always dressed like a stereotypical muslim woman. That can't be a coincidence.
Pretty much. It all lies with in the interpretation. Many Muslims do not see it as mandatory. Kinda useless to continue harping on this point

I find the people who say "oh, you should respect other country's traditions" completely hilarious. Fuck that.

You don't get respect on your traditions when you have a shitload of "traditions" that are complete violations of human rights. You get respect when your laws and traditions stop being a shitstain on human rights, and not a second before.

I assume you guys with the "respect other country's conditions" argument are ok with stonings,lashes, getting punished for being raped, and a whole myriad of other barbaric shit. After all, it's tradition.

Respect is not given. It's earned. And guess what? Saudi Arabia didn't earn it yet, they are very far from it.

I think you're looking way too much into it with that barbaric stuff. Chill man.

In the deplomatic world, simple signs of respect are very well seen. I think Michelle Obama should have worn the scarf. Especially that she did for Indonesia. It's simply a matter of showing respect and keeping things easy for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom