• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Saudi Arabia - "Ready For October"

faridmon

There is a Playstation Saudi Arabia? Bloody hell, Nintendo can't get their stuff to Scandinavia and Sony has their toes everywhere.

I've honestly never seen or heard of the gaming industry in Saudi Arabia.

It's certainly not a huge portion of worldwide unit sales. Why is everyone getting so defensive? I really didn't think they had retail stores selling PS3s in Saudi Arabia.

Now I know.

Assume the worst.

The gaming scene is Saudi is pretty damn big. You have to understand it had a fairly large population and people with a lot of disposable income who don't have much to do.

I've been to both Kuwait and Saudi for extended periods and the ps is a lot more popular than the xbox. The region free thing also helps a lot.

Why wouldn't they have gaming retail stores in Saudi? That's pretty damn ignorant. You know we also have IGN middle East? Riyadh and Jeddah are pretty damn big cities.

The gaming scene in the middle east is pretty big and growing too.

MercuryLS

Banned
PS4 in October?

W6tlaVI.gif

Come again?

ASIS

My reasoning for citing culture was that I didn't think video games had value over there. That and they are pretty strict on violence and sexuality, which a lot of modern games contain.

True, in fact, some games that cite religion get banned sometimes, like God Of War (i know >_>). But violence is not that frowned upon, and sexuality is only a no-no when it is explicit, which a lot games aren't (by explicit I mean full nudity). Otherwise it's fine, the gaming culture is quite huge in KSA, especially when it comes to football and cinematic games.

True, in fact, some games that cite religion get banned sometimes, like God Of War (i know >_>). But violence is not that frowned upon, and sexuality is only a no-no when it is explicit, which a lot games aren't (by explicit I mean full nudity). Otherwise it's fine, the gaming culture is quite huge in KSA, especially when it comes to football and cinematic games.

Banned at retail. Not banned from speciality shops. Game street in dubai gets everything so damn early. They break street date all the time by 1-2 weeks easily.

I spoke with organizers a few months back and they informed me about a PlayStation Gamer's Day in Riyadh this October with playable PS4s on the show floor. There's also a PS Vita game dev competition going on right now where the winners will be announced at that event.

I highly doubt PlayStation Saudi Arabia is privy to sensitive information like release dates but I hope I'm wrong on this one.

EDIT: *shakes fist at king zell*

This teaser is most likely just something to promote Sony's "Gamers' Day" which is an event to allow the public to try upcoming games for the Playstation brand in Saudi Arabia

This year it is expected that PS4 will be playable at the event.. That's why PS4 is featured heavily in the video.. Also PS3 will be there.. That would explain why Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is in the video

This event is held annually in Saudi Arabia during Oct.

La, habibi. Don't do this to me. =[

ASIS

Banned at retail. Not banned from speciality shops. Game street in dubai gets everything so damn early. They break street date all the time by 1-2 weeks easily.

Yes I meant retail. God knows it's easy as hell to get your hands on any game in Saudi.

rjinaz

someone asked the channel is it was Gamers Day related and the replied with

It does seem a bit off. Why not just label the video as Gamers Day. It's not like the event is a big secret. Furthermore, why not just admit when asked instead of replying with a tease? It could be more than just Gamers Day.

Well Kingdom Hearts and Puppeteer are for PS3 and Infamous and Thief sure as hell aren't coming out in October so I doubt its a hint at PS4 launch. Could be wrong though.

Jeels

Are women allowed to play games in SA?

I'm friends with multiple international students who are female, from Saudi Arabia, ultra conservative, and play games like dmc, persona, final fantasy, metal gear, etc etc.

Can we quit this pseudo-racist talk?

TheJLC

So more 'evidence' for October? I guess we will find out soon. I really hope it is though as I want to play some of those games already.

Lesiroth

This is almost surely Gamer's Day, it's always been held in October.
However, the word around is that it's definitely releasing in the Middle East in early December, guess we'll find out in a few days.

Gaming in the Middle East is pretty damn big, it's a healthy and growing market. However it's also quite Sony-dominated. Microsoft managed to get some foothold here this gen thanks to pirating possibility, but Sony seem to be the only ones supporting the region in any official capacity with social media presence, and official regions on PSN for each country (except Egypt/North Africa because fuck you Sony). Nintendo never really cared about the region as far as I know.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What's the logo at the end?

I really don't think this is anything...

November seems way more likely to me anyway.

Mista Koo

I've honestly never seen or heard of the gaming industry in Saudi Arabia.

It's certainly not a huge portion of worldwide unit sales. Why is everyone getting so defensive? I really didn't think they had retail stores selling PS3s in Saudi Arabia.

Now I know.

Assume the worst.
According to Sony Saudi is the 2nd biggest market after Russia in "regions they generally don't give a shit about."

Are women allowed to play games in SA?

Probably the 2nd most idiotic comment in this thread besides the "no retail stores in Saudi Thread"

You should travel the world - not everything is as the media paints it.

There was also a fighting game tournament in Kuwait earlier this year in February and these guys showed up:

Japan

MCZ|Umehara
MCZ|Tokido
MCZ|Mago
KichijojiKEN
☆Shin☆
-R-
NISHIKIN
Akimo
Okkun
Super Santarouman
Gachi-kun
Rariken
Papatiwawa (Aaru)

United States

EG|Justin Wong

United Kingdom

WW.MCZ|Ryan Hart

Singapore

DM.MCZ|Xian
DM.MCZ|Zhi

Keep your uninformed and idiotic troll posts out of here.

W6tlaVI.gif

Please tell me this was a glitch.

Spoilers
after Mass Effect one he became a cyborg and occasionally had malfunctions like these... yet even so he still believed in putting people first over his dreadful condition.... what makes the series really passionate and dear to me

Top Bottom