• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks some twitter user backlash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Honestly, this is sort of where I'm at. Had she simply chosen not to wear one ever, that would be fine. But considering she had no objections to wearing it elsewhere, it kind of looks like a political statement.

Indonesian pictures could have been taken when she was visiting a place of religious significance?

Trouble

Banned
Honestly, this is sort of where I'm at. Had she simply chosen not to wear one ever, that would be fine. But considering she had no objections to wearing it elsewhere, it kind of looks like a political statement.

It wouldn't be an underhanded (and IMO intentional) show of disrespect if she hadn't worn it in Indonesia.

sandy1297

Bezos got the Post on the cutting edge of journalism. 1,500 Tweets? Who gives a shit?

You better check your number there. It's overwhelmingly Muslim.

I'm an Indonesian and a muslim, Indonesia is not a muslim country

the current president run on liberal-seculer agenda and beat the other candidate that run on conservative muslim platform

but yes, due to the recent world events, there are more and more people with Arabian extrimist views over here unlike 25 or so years ago when I was a kid

Infinite

It would be a political statement either way.

EulaCapra

image.jpg
LMAO I love it. Her body is there, but her mind wishes she was watching Netflix.

Nesotenso

Fair point. Were they?

Yes, but choosing to wear the headscarf would have brought much less controversy, yes? It would be a far weaker political statement, accepting the status quo.

no idea

wearing no headscarf at an airport or the King's residence shouldn't been an issue.

Madness

It's 87% Muslim and has the most muslims living in it in the world?? Or are you saying that it's a secularly run country?

You better check your number there. It's overwhelmingly Muslim.

Yes you're right.

Big muslim majority (90%) but not a muslim country.

I wouldn't consider it a muslim country either seeing as how it's a secular country with no official government affiliation with religion. It's not an Islamic theocracy. It's overwhelmingly Muslim in its population, but it's not a muslim country.

This is changing though. More and more, Islam is beginning to influence government and a lot of the citizens are holding more fundamental views, and a lot want things like sharia law to be officially implemented etc.

Infinite

Fair point. Were they?

Yes, but choosing to wear the headscarf would have brought much less controversy, yes? It would be a far weaker political statement, accepting the status quo.
You think so? Had she worn the hijab and had this thread been made instead about that I could see this discussion going in a completely different direction. Hijabs and such are inherently controversial to us westerners being the universal symbol of oppression and all.

Care to provide a source from the Quran? axtually curious
He can't. It boils down to interpretation and that interpretation is largely influenced by culture and politics.

From Wikipedia so this might be false but:

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their khimār over their breasts and not display their beauty except to their husband, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their (Muslim) women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. (Quran 24:31)

Sounds like a (absolutely fucking ridiculous) requirement to me

FZZ

Banned
This is completely false.

Yes Hijabs did not exist before Islam, headscarves just popped out of nowhere and took the world by storm. Islam is tied closely to middle eastern culture from way back but there is still a clear distinction between the two.

Here

Sounds like a (absolutely fucking ridiculous) requirement to me

Damn now I know how Maninthemirror feels lol. Anyways I'm out considering this is gonna turn into an argument of sematics.

I was raised by fairly conservative Muslim parents, born in Pakistan. Only boy with three older sisters and my sisters outside of a Mosque have never worn a Hijab in their life.

dabig2

Fair point. Were they?

What controversy? A minority of insignificant Twitter opinions who have nothing else to do other than whine?

no idea

wearing no headscarf at an airport or the King's residence shouldn't been an issue.

I agree with this, of course. The only thing I'm talking about here is wearing it one place versus another, instead of always or never wearing it.

You think so? Had she worn the hijab and had this thread been made instead about that I could see this discussion going in a completely different direction. Hijabs and such are inherently controversial to us westerners being the universal symbol of oppression and all.

Right, but we had no thread about her wearing the hijab in Indonesia. I think that the only reason we are taking notice is because of the decision not to wear it in one place when she showed no objections to wearing it in another.

What controversy? A minority of insignificant Twitter opinions who have nothing else to do other than whine?

Well, yes, but that's pretty much all controversy these days, yeah? :p

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
She'll be president one day and then it's payback time.

#BitchBitchBitchWhineWhineWhineSensitivityBleeuauuauuuughhhhh

FTFY Offended people.

But in all seriousness, it's nobody's decision but hers

Alx

Not that it really matters, but isn't the person in the back a woman, who isn't wearing a veil either ?
Considering Michelle Obama's choice, it is definitely a breach of protocol if wearing a headscarf is imposed by law in Saudi Arabia. Certainly an intentional one too (I suppose they could have provided her an "emergency" scarf, like they can find you a tie in fancy restaurants), and I can't say I entirely disagree with her. It's intentionally disrespectful of the country and its law, in the end.

Mimosa97

Yes Hijabs did not exist before Islam, headscarves just popped out of nowhere and took the world by storm. Islam is tied closely to middle eastern culture from way back but there is still a clear distinction between the two.

Here

Damn now I know how Maninthemirror feels lol. Anyways I'm out considering this is gonna turn into an argument of sematics.

I was raised by fairly conservative Muslim parents, born in Pakistan. Only boy with three older sisters and my sisters outside of a Mosque have never worn a Hijab in their life.

Parents have problems in some Gulf countries where the education ministry, the teachers' union and the students' union had all fallen under Islamist control. One mother described what happened when she moved her 11-year-old daughter to a new school: "After about three months she said: 'Mummy, I want to wear hijab'." The mother, thinking she was too young for hijab, asked her why. A teacher had said the girl's hair would be burnt on Judgment Day if she did not wear it.

This gives you a pretty good idea on why more and more girls in muslim and non-muslim countries are choosing to wear the veil. In the case of non-muslim countries, communitarianism is to blame.

Chuckie

Headscarfs aren't a muslim thing. My grand-mother was very catholic and when she got old she started wearing headscarfs. Nuns do too. I know jewish hassidic women here in Montreal who cover their hair. So please tell me, how is that a muslim thing ?

And yeah it's optional in the Qu'ran. Nowhere is it written that muslim women have to cover their hair. It's more of a cultural thing.

It is not a Muslim ONLY thing, but the 'modern' hijab certainly is. Why are there more and more hijabs in Indonesia when it certainly isn't traditional wear or part of Indonesian pre-muslim culture.

tLPPmnp.jpg

This is because of islam, not because of catholic nuns or hassidic women. Nothing wrong with that, but in this case indeed a muslim thing.

Also it being optional is your interpretation but not everyone's otherwise this wouldn't even be an issue.

Slavik81

People shouldn't be forced to wear clothing

While I generally agree, these sorts of rules have a long cultural tradition and people are emotionally attached to the taboos they're accustomed to. Unfortunately, even incremental changes in acceptability take decades.

Chariot

How dare she have the freedom to dress how she wants. Absurd.
It's a diplomatic mission, she doesn't have the freedom she wants in dressing. Obama can't show of in baggy pants and turtleneck just because he feels like it. I can see how people could be confused by the first lady blatantly ignoring their culture, when she did respect it in another country.

sandy1297

Um. Pretty sure it is. Official religion and everything.

Good on Michelle. As a Muslim, Saudi Arabia's toxic culture give our religion a bad name.

its not the official religion, its one of the 5 recognised religion along with Christian, Protestant, Budha and Hindu

also due to the above, people that don't practice one of the five religion will just put Islam on their ID card which inflate the % of Muslim here

I'm glad she didn't. Muslims living in the West can practice their religion freely, and in most places cover up. Yet people have to cover up when they go to their country? No way.
How about this? They should take thier head scarfs off in other countries out of respect...? Half of my family are musim and I tend to disagree with most of their views on matters such as this.

Log4Girlz

While I generally agree, these sorts of rules have a long cultural tradition and people are emotionally attached to the taboos they're accustomed to. Unfortunately, even incremental changes in acceptability take decades.

I agree. Even in the US its going to be a long time before we can walk around nude.

Alx

I'm glad she didn't. Muslims living in the West can practice their religion freely, and in most places cover up. Yet people have to cover up when they go to their country? No way.
How about this? They should take thier head scarfs off in other countries out of respect...? Half of my family are musim and I tend to disagree with most of their views on matters such as this.

Their country, their rules...

snap0212

Kind of conflicted about this. Though you can bet your ass that if I choose to visit a country then I will be doing my very best to follow their customs no matter what they are. I'm free to not go there but I'll do everything to not step on someone's foot just because I feel like their customs are stupid. Bad move, in my opinion.

ISOM

Their country, their rules...

In the west, it's tradition not to wear such muslim clothing but no one is going to create a problem out of it if they decide to wear. Why should Michelle then be forced to adhere to their customs if she doesn't want to? It goes both ways.

Chariot

In the west, it's tradition not to wear such muslim clothing but no one is going to create a problem out of it if they decide to wear. Why should Michelle then be forced to adhere to their customs if she doesn't want to? It goes both ways.
It's not tradition to not wear muslim clothing. I may be incorrect, maybe George Washington declared one day "The whole nation is founded on the fact that we're not wear muslim clothing. So let us not wearing muslim clothing a custom!"

ISOM

It's not tradition to not wear muslim clothing. I may be incorrect, maybe George Washington declared one day "The whole nation is founded on the fact that we're not wear muslim clothing. So let us not wearing muslim clothing a custom!"

It's tradition by the fact that they don't wear it. And I'm not talking about just the U.S

Famassu

Headscarfs aren't a muslim thing. My grand-mother was very catholic and when she got old she started wearing headscarfs. Nuns do too. I know jewish hassidic women here in Montreal who cover their hair. So please tell me, how is that a muslim thing ?

And yeah it's optional in the Qu'ran. Nowhere is it written that muslim women have to cover their hair. It's more of a cultural thing.
Headscarfs aren't an exclusively muslim thing, but I don't think most other religions force it as strongly on women as muslims in general do, other than ultra-orthodox kind. Some catholic women might choose to wear one, but that's (somewhat) by choice, they haven't grown in an environment where the society at large pressures them to wear one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think - hope - it's her way of telegraphing at how messed up she personally feels this whole charade is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom