• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women's role in islam: The story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darackutny

Also, according to a number of sources, Aisha’s older sister Asma died at the age of 100 in 73 or 74 AH (695 or 696 CE), making her 27 or 28 at the time of hijra (migration from Mecca to Medina in 622 CE). Sources indicate that Aisha was 10 years younger than Asma, putting Aisha’s age at 17 or 18 at the time of her legal marriage to the Prophet, and consummation at 19 or 20. Though some clerics would adamantly reject this view, several historical accounts from Prophet Muhammad’s life imply that that the view that Aisha was seven when she was married is an indication that historical facts were manipulated to support dismal and oppressive cultural norms.

What sources say that A'isha was ten years younger than Asma'a? And why do your prefer that source over those that said that she was six, especially when she and her nephew Urwa bin Al-Zubair mentioned that themselves according to Al-Bukhari, Muslim, and Al-Bayhaqi?

I'm sorry but that is extremely rude. It implies that you are having a discussion that you wish to exclude others from, that's what PM's are for. There's a good reason Nizar provided translations in the OP.

بتصيح؟ وترجمتك للآية ليست صحيحة

SmokyDave

Darackutny said:
بتصيح؟ وترجمتك للآية ليست صحيحة
Okay, I admit it. That made me laugh. What was wrong with my translation of the verse out of interest?

Edit: Don't worry, Nizar has clarified.

fizzelopeguss said:
I love the smell of religious wars in the morning.
It's afternoon where I am. I ate christianity for breakfast, I think it's coming back up though.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Their role according to the Qur'an is to basically be a piece of crap, at least in comparison to men. Unless you want to get into dodgy interpretations.

SmokyDave said:
Just in case anybody else finds it extremely irritating that two people obviously capable of speaking english are choosing urdu / arabic in this topic, I will provide a translation...

"You can not guide whom you love, but Allah guides whom He will and He knows the right way."

I'm sorry but that is extremely rude. It implies that you are having a discussion that you wish to exclude others from, that's what PM's are for. There's a good reason Nizar provided translations in the OP.

Its a verse from the Quran and I guess that's why he didn't feel that he needs to provide a translation.

Lo! thou (O Muhammad) guidest not whom thou lovest, but Allah guideth whom He will. And He is best aware of those who walk aright.
Quran 28:56

slider

People's minds are already made up. I dunno if any good can come of this. But worth debating nonetheless I suppose.

Doesn't really matter what is meant to be said, the problem is how certain countries or regions twist or use religion to dictate law as they see fit. Obviously doesn't apply to the religion as a whole, but in some regions they take things to extreme and give it all a bad name or create lot of inaccurate portrayals.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Nizar said:
What do you expect them to do? deny it or apostatize?
There's pretty much nothing these women can do short of killing scores of men and declaring that they will no longer follow the teachings in the Quran :lol. But that'll never happen, not even in a million years. They've been indoctrinated over the last 1200+ years to be subservient and accept a second class status.

And when I say "they," I don't mean all Muslim women, just those that have chosen to accept their status and be content with it. My guess is that 1200 years from now, nothing will have changed in regards to the Quran and the treatment of many of its women.

Nizar said:
Yes it made sense to me because I believed that it was true, but when I got introduced to cosmology and found out that earth is not older than the stars I started to get my serious doubts.

I started to shift from the moral/political understanding of Islam into the scientific, and the theory of knowledge helped me with that a lot, I started watching debates on youtube and I fell directly in love with the atheistic arguments.

About a year from that I decided one morning that I should not longer consider myself a muslim since I really don't believe that it is true, the same morning I announced my apostasy to my parents which eventually got me kicked out of the house.

In light of this, do your parents regret moving to Christian and secular Sweden?

Kimosabae

Banned
Nizar if you made the decision to make a post/new topic detailing the processes involved in your conversion to atheism, I'd love to read it.

rezuth

Kimosabae said:
Nizar if you made the decision to make a post/new topic detailing the processes involved in your conversion to atheism, I'd love to read it.
I'll second that, seems like a interesting story seeing as my family are no strong believers (Is any christian swedes almost?).

wRATH2x

Banned
From what I know, there are many hadith's that are not considered valid by some "sheik's" and "imam's". And many of them are pro women.

Take that however you like.

Rotsu

Neo Member
Nizar,

let me remind you that the prophet once said "الجنة تحتة اقدام الأمهات" which translate to "heaven is under mothers feet" which shows how much respect women are in heaven. Not to mention the hadith about the prophet "(( يا رسول الله ، من أحق الناس بحسن صحابتي ؟ ، قال : أمك ، قال : ثم
من ؟ ، قال : أمك ، قال ثم من ؟ ، قال : أمك ، قال : ثم من ؟ ، قال : أبوك . )) " which means that a person should pay respect and friendliness to his mother three times more than his father. A lot of the things that you have posted are understood wrong and have been taken completely out of context.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Inanna Dan said:
Wow, why waste your time researching for something like that? I'm sure bible hasa lot of stuf like that. Let's all make a topic about Jew's book (if they have any?). Any topic related to "religion" and their "book" is a waste of time, imo.

Sexism still exists, believe it or not. Even in England/America/any other western country. *GASP* I know!!
What kind of ignorance is this? You don't even know if Jews have a holy book, but yet, you're so quick to assume that the Bible has sexism in it?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
John Dunbar said:
Christians think Jesus is the son of God, so his word certainly should be the word of God. Do you think only the people who take the Bible literally (or at least the New Testament books where Jesus speaks) are true Christians?

Just an example, Jesus says only adultery is a valid reason to get divorced and divorced women can never marry again. Do you think that no one who thinks this should not be the law is a real Christian?

So why such a strict definition of Muslims? Does a Muslim have to be a fundie for you to consider him a Muslim?
Wow, dude, before you start saying things, read up on what the Bible actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom