• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran's Supreme leader bans women from biking in public

Status
Not open for further replies.
very fucking dumb, inexcusably dumb.

i doubt the women of Iran would want this. how about letting them decide for themselves instead of some old deluded geezer telling them randomly they suddenly can't use a basic mode of transportation anymore..

Oppo

crazy how far Iran has regressed since the 70s/80s.

like Iraq, it used to be a lot cooler about things like, well, women leading normal lives.

explodet

They should do what some girls in Afghanistan do, if they haven't already.
3045573-inline-i-1-meet-the-skate-girls-of-afghanistan-copy.jpg
Take up skateboarding.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fucking Iran

Can you show me where in the Quran it states that it is forbidden for a woman to transport herself? On a bike?

If not Fuck off Iran supreme leader

Corpsepyre

Banned
The simple answer to those asking WHY is......religion. It's that simple. This is not surprising in the very least, especially for a country where Islam is enforced to the teeth. Whether any of this is actually in the holy book is another matter. It's enforced by the officials who have their own interpretations, and most of the times it's straight up whack.I'm just glad the country I'm from, Pakistan, is not there yet. Though we're close.

YourMaster

Fucking Iran

Can you show me where in the Quran it states that it is forbidden for a woman to transport herself? On a bike?

If not Fuck off Iran supreme leader

A religion isn't based on facts, but on believes. It is very short sighted to hold religious people to what is written or some interpretation of it. You can't tell anybody else what he believes, and the religious leader in Iran believe Women should not be part of public life.

If you want to criticize how Women (or gays, jews, apostates etc) are treated in Iran, please do so based on ethical and/or practical arguments. Using arguments that highlight 'internal inconsistencies' within a religion are pointless and hollow, and by doing so you lower yourself to their level. Even if the Quran contains a beautiful poem on how and why women should always be forbidden to ride a bike, doing so would still be wrong.

MMaRsu

Banned
A religion isn't based on facts, but on believes. It is very short sighted to hold religious people to what is written or some interpretation of it. You can't tell anybody else what he believes, and the religious leader in Iran believe Women should not be part of public life.

If you want to criticize how Women (or gays, jews, apostates etc) are treated in Iran, please do so based on ethical and/or practical arguments. Using arguments that highlight 'internal inconsistencies' within a religion are pointless and hollow, and by doing so you lower yourself to their level. Even if the Quran contains a beautiful poem on how and why women should always be forbidden to ride a bike, doing so would still be wrong.

Trust me in not trying to tell anyone what to believe but to withhold a person the freedom to travel within even her own town on a bycicle is just ridiculous and demeaning to a persons humanity :(.

A sad day for women in Iran

The simple answer to those asking WHY is......religion. It's that simple. This is not surprising in the very least, especially for a country where Islam is enforced to the teeth. Whether any of this is actually in the holy book is another matter. It's enforced by the officials who have their own interpretations, and most of the times it's straight up whack.I'm just glad the country I'm from, Pakistan, is not there yet. Though we're close.
It is also political. I don't feel like explaining it, but regardless of the reason, this is fucking stupid.

They are basically subduing half the population, one right at a time. The hardliners in Iran believe promotion of women right in Iran is part of West's strategy to weaken them by corroding their ideological underpinning. They call it a 'soft' war

Iranians in the 70s...none of this would fly today.

WkKPdgg.jpg

21gJDnD.jpg

6TplN0J.jpg

Before I even say my statement the current Iranian regime is in no way a bastion of human rights and indeed there needs to be reform there

but

you do know those pictures were taking during the rule of the Shah. A tyrant that tortured, killed and prisoned any form of opposition.

Not really a bastion of progress. What should instead be looked at is the Iranian parliament before the coup that gave all power to the Shah.

I mean people toss pictures of people wearing mini skirts and partying as of that means success but a few kms away from that picture someone is starving in a prison cell for no real reason.

There were protest by all Iranians against the Shah only to have it be fully hijacked by the people in power today.

nOoblet16

Well at least they're no longer going to hell with the rest of us kuffar

The one thing I have observed about Iranian women living outside Iran (be it in the west or based in middle eastern cities like Kuwait), they are not conservative at all.

I have two Iranian friends who I'll use as an example, both born in Iran...one's family moved to UK when she was 5 and the other moved to Kuwait when she was a year old or so and then came to UK for studies when she was 18. Their families themselves are traditional. The one who lives in UK has a very traditional family but neither her nor her mother ever dresses conservatively. My other friend who has her family based in Kuwait, her mother wears a scarf but my friend herself and her sisters they dress in western outfits all the time regardless of where they are. You'd think considering how traditional their families are they would ask their daughters to dress conservatively but they don't mind.

I suppose it's more because they hold more value in their deep rich culture than religion which started to get enforced only in the late 1970s.

nOoblet16

Before I even say my statement the current Iranian regime is in no way a bastion of human rights and indeed there needs to be reform there

but

you do know those pictures were taking during the rule of the Shah. A tyrant that tortured, killed and prisoned any form of opposition.

Not really a bastion of progress. What should instead be looked at is the Iranian parliament before the coup that gave all power to the Shah.

I mean people toss pictures of people wearing mini skirts and partying as of that means success but a few kms away from that picture someone is starving in a prison cell for no real reason.

There were protest by all Iranians against the Shah only to have it be fully hijacked by the people in power today.
I am aware of the Shah but those people didn't dress like that because of the Shah.
Neither a religious government nor a religious enforcement of lifestyle was required to get rid of the Shah.

When people say Iran has regressed they say it because despite getting rid of the Shah there is still a considerable amount of Human Rights abuse, while at the same time there is an enforcement of religion on people's lives on top. It's one step forward and like five steps back. Shah had to go but somehow Khomeni hijacked it and made it his own thing.

Those are two different things though.
I am aware of the Shah but those people didn't dress like that because of the Shah.
Neither a religious government nor a religious enforcement of lifestyle was required to get rid of the Shah.

But the 1979 revolution wasn't strictly religious in nature. It was a mix of secular and religious factions opposed to the Shah's regime, and it just turned out that one of the religious factions maneuvered its way during and in the immediate post-revolution to seize power in the country.

Post that uphold Shah era Iran as some beacon of humanity always bother me to some degree. I understand where the sentiment is coming from, but it's really gross to see how the atrocities of that time get swept under the rug because of how messed up the current Iranian governmental structure is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom