• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran's Supreme leader bans women from biking in public

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me in not trying to tell anyone what to believe but to withhold a person the freedom to travel within even her own town on a bycicle is just ridiculous and demeaning to a persons humanity :(.

A sad day for women in Iran

Seems like that's the point isn't it?

nOoblet16

But the 1979 revolution wasn't strictly religious in nature. It was a mix of secular and religious factions opposed to the Shah's regime, and it just turned out that one of the religious factions maneuvered its way during and in the immediate post-revolution to seize power in the country.

Post that uphold Shah era Iran as some beacon of humanity always bother me to some degree. I understand where the sentiment is coming from, but it's really gross to see how the atrocities of that time get swept under the rug because of how messed up the current Iranian governmental structure is...

I don't really think people are saying Iran was a beacon of humanity, yes it was terrible but can you say it's any better in terms of human rights now or if it was any better even after the revolution? If anything it was and has been the same with theocracy and conservatism added on top. Let's not forget the public executions, mass incarcerations and torture of anyone who spoke up in the post revolution era.

Hence, the opinion that eventhough it was one step forward, it was several steps backwards at the same time. Because abuse of human rights exist in both era...you have to at the very least, consider whether the overall degree of freedom in society might have been more than what there was post revolution.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Before I even say my statement the current Iranian regime is in no way a bastion of human rights and indeed there needs to be reform there

but

you do know those pictures were taking during the rule of the Shah. A tyrant that tortured, killed and prisoned any form of opposition.

Not really a bastion of progress. What should instead be looked at is the Iranian parliament before the coup that gave all power to the Shah.

I mean people toss pictures of people wearing mini skirts and partying as of that means success but a few kms away from that picture someone is starving in a prison cell for no real reason.

There were protest by all Iranians against the Shah only to have it be fully hijacked by the people in power today.

People are being tortured and dying in Iranian jails under the new guys too. Only they can't wear mini skirts or ride bikes or freely choose a government.

It may have sucked under the Shah but it still sucks and now everyone is oppressed instead of just the enemies of the Shah.

I'm not sure I see an improvement.

I don't really think people ever said Iran was a beacon of humanity, yes it was terrible but can you say it's any better in terms of human rights now or if it was any better even after the revolution? If anything it was and has been more or less the same with theocracy added on top. Let's not forget the public executions, mass incarcerations and torture of anyone who spoke up in the post revolution era.

Hence, the opinion that eventhough it was one step forward, it was several steps backwards at the same time.

Of course it moved backwards. Not saying that. It's more when I see posts that seem to seem to paint Shah era Iran is such a white light, or ones that ignore the reasons for the general popularity of the revolution (and not just because "they like being ultra-conservative and religious, that's just how Iranians are like") and the fact that it wasn't solely religious irk me.

It's like when you see people handwave what European countries did in past centuries by saying "oh, they were the most advanced countries of the time, better than other countries of the time". I get the need to contextualize what happened, but that doesn't mean what happened should be hand-waved away.

Again, trying to downplay what's wrong with the current government in any way (because I HAVE seen people try to say "oh it's better than the Shah's time", which is obviously bs)

It was already banned, source = iranian friend.

Nothing to do with religion or theocracy, but with power structure. A fringe of the population is ultra-conservative and always require to be satisfied, the same happen in Saudi Arabia. People associate in the West religion with being conservative or ultra-conservative but it's not the case in many muslim countries, both spectrum of political range are equally muslims and negating this is playing the game of the ultra-conservative.

And unsurprisingly, in Saudi Arabia women cannot drive auto while it's well known that women are allowed to ride horses in Islam and the own Companions of the Prophet ﷺ did.

Everything is not black and white in Iran, and in many aspect is one of the most progressive muslim country on some issue likegender change (they get regulary insulted for that buy sunni masses when Al-Azhar stated a somewhat similar fatwa) or women educational level, religious and secular. Saying that everything was great in Shah "because mini-skirt" is really falling in the trap of the neo-colonial model of governance, where a Tyrant can secure western support only by showing exterior signs of "wester value". The Shah was not only a tyrant but misogynistic :

Q: How strange, Your Majesty. If there is a monarch whose name has always been associated with women, it’s you. And now I’m beginning to suspect women have counted for nothing in your life.
A: I fear your suspicion is justified. Women, you know… Look, let’s put it this way. I don’t underestimate them, as shown by the fact that they have derived more advantages than anyone else from my White Revolution. I have fought strenuously to obtain equal rights and responsibilities for them. I have even incorporated them in the Army, where they get six months’ military training before being sent to the villages to fight the battle against illiteracy. Nor should one forget that I’m the son of the man who removed women’s veils in Iran. But I wouldn’t be sincere if I asserted I’d been influenced by a single one of them. Nobody can influence me, nobody at all. And a woman still less. In a man’s life, women count only if they’re beautiful and graceful and know how to stay feminine and… This Women’s Lib business, for instance. What do these feminists want? What do you want? Equality, you say? Indeed! I don’t want to seem rude, but… You may be equal in the eyes of the law, but not, I beg your pardon for saying so, in ability.

Q: Aren’t we?
A: No. You’ve never produced a Michelangelo or a Bach. You’ve never even produced a great cook. And don’t talk of opportunities. Are you joking? Have you lacked the opportunity to give history a great cook? You have produced nothing great, nothing! Tell me, how many women capable of governing have you met in the course of interviews such as this?

Q: At least two, Your Majesty. Golda Meir and Indira Gandhi.
A: Hm… All I can say is that women, when they are in power, are much harsher than men. Much more cruel. Much more bloodthirsty. I’m quoting facts, not opinions. You’re heartless when you’re rulers. Think of Caterina de’Medici, Catherine of Russia, Elizabeth I of England. Not to mention your Lucrezia Borgia, with her poisons and intrigues. You’re schemers, you’re evil. Every one of you.

source

And his father was just a secular fundamentalist who banned the veil in public space as well as the turban.

I am aware of the Shah but those people didn't dress like that because of the Shah.
Neither a religious government nor a religious enforcement of lifestyle was required to get rid of the Shah.

When people say Iran has regressed they say it because despite getting rid of the Shah there is still a considerable amount of Human Rights abuse, while at the same time there is an enforcement of religion on people's lives on top. It's one step forward and like five steps back. Shah had to go but somehow Khomeni hijacked it and made it his own thing.

the war with Iraq helped him to take over
People are being tortured and dying in Iranian jails under the new guys too. Only they can't wear mini skirts or ride bikes or freely choose a government.

It may have sucked under the Shah but it still sucks and now everyone is oppressed instead of just the enemies of the Shah.

there isn't a improvement

last year alone I believe they executed 2000+ people

I am just saying that the best part of modern Iran was before the Shah and the current Regime

I am aware of the Shah but those people didn't dress like that because of the Shah.
Neither a religious government nor a religious enforcement of lifestyle was required to get rid of the Shah.

When people say Iran has regressed they say it because despite getting rid of the Shah there is still a considerable amount of Human Rights abuse, while at the same time there is an enforcement of religion on people's lives on top. It's one step forward and like five steps back. Shah had to go but somehow Khomeni hijacked it and made it his own thing.

The main issue imo was that he betrayed the liberals/progressives after the revolution after promising to work with them. Their support was important in ousting the shah but the iraq war essentially allowed him to set up the oppressive theocracy we have today.

nOoblet16

The problem I see is that unlike a Shah, replacing an authoritarian theocracy is much much more difficult.
I don't think I know of a single instance in modern history where it has happened...outside of Egypt where Muslim Brotherhood was trying to do the same thing before the military stepped in and told them to fuck off, but that happened in such a short time frame that it wasn't difficult. In case of a country like Iran which has had 2 generations of this, it is pretty much ingrained in the life of every Iranian now.

That is not true. Shah was utter garbage too.

Anyway, I don't care about that too much. I hope some publicity can turn this into a hot issue and hopefully they will back off.

He said before the Shah

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Having just been in Indonesia for a couple weeks, this generalization doesn't hold much weight.
You sure about that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Indonesia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Indonesia#Human_rights_aspects
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Indonesia

100% this.

HoEZ4ce.png

Iran ladies and gentlemen.

nOoblet16

You mean 2500 years ago? Cause Iran was a monarchy/empire since 500 BC until 40 years ago, ruled mostly by tyrant despots.

Anyway. Let's not derail the thread. No one wants to go back in time.

Obviously means before Reza Pahlavi took power.
No need for semantics lol

That is not true. Shah was utter garbage too.

Anyway, I don't care about that too much. I hope some publicity can turn this into a hot issue and hopefully they will back off.
my posts says
before the Shah
and my post prior said even more about that

what I mean is before the Shah took full power in the 1953 Iranian coup d'état

Biking and Riding a car have had massive societal implications by expanding the sphere of possible connections any one person could make. To put it into perspective, it's not terribly likely that the 1st wave Feminist Movement would have gotten much traction without the Bicycle enabling women to travel beyond the household than ever before and thus talk to more women beyond the neighbors in walking distance.

This is a huge setback for women's rights in Iran.

He never said it was an improvement or even implied it. Just that using those pictures to show how great and progressive Iran used to be can be somewhat misleading.

RoyalFool

Banned

It's taboo in North Korea for women to ride bikes too, there is an expression there which folk shout to women seen riding them, which roughly translates to..

You'll tear your cunt

.. quite why any country would want to follow their lead..

EGM1966

What a world. We can put men on the moon but we have countries that wont let women ride a bike.

It's very disappointing and depressing.

Laekon

this shit is straight from the 1800s. ridiculous.

While not banned by government it was looked down on in the US in the early 1900's. Women were banned by their families from riding bikes as bike seats were bad for a women's virtue. The real issue is the freedom bikes give women to go further and not need men to do stuff for them.

There is a group fighting this issue in Afghanistan for awhile now. A company I worked for sponsored them and helped get them to start having a competitive team to travel.

http://www.afghancycles.com

https://vimeo.com/137796562

There is another great charity http://www.worldbicyclerelief.org that doesn't focus on women but helps the considerably. By giving women bikes girls can do required chores and still get to school. They do better then most charities by starting factories and mechanic shops so the product is suited to and supported in the environment and jobs are created. Other charities would focus on donating bikes but they would break and there would be no parts/people to fix them.

my posts says
before the Shah
and my post prior said even more about that

what I mean is before the Shah took full power in the 1953 Iranian coup d'état
He was shit and before that was shit too.
Shah means King in Persian, so you need to clarify whether you mean Mohammad Reza Shah or his fatger Reza Shah.

HoEZ4ce.png

I believe stoning is practically removed from legislation. It has been practiced three times IIRC.

Disheartening.

In the long run, I still hope the country opening up to more liberal nations, and the fact they have an educated population (particularly women) bites the conservatives in the ass and they evolve out of this awful theocracy.

spekkeh

Banned
This is because Allah in all his wisdom created 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars with 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets so that after 13,800,000,000 years of constant stochastic evolution and hundreds of mass extinction events on just one of these 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets, a small subset of homo sapiens sapiens (bit of an ironic name in this instance) could fret over whether the hymen bleeds during the wedding night, right?

Makes perfect sense.

This is because Allah in all his wisdom created 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars with 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets so that after 13,800,000,000 years of constant stochastic evolution and hundreds of mass extinction events on just one of these 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets, a small subset of homo sapiens sapiens (bit of an ironic name in this instance) could fret over whether the hymen bleeds during the wedding night, right?

Makes perfect sense.

Adultery is not judged by this criteria but by admission or 4 testimony.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
HoEZ4ce.png

Barbaric atrocities neatly codified into law. But I'm told those are just fringe tribal customs, or something. Nothing to do with religion --

And it's clearly supported by Islamic scripture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajm#Hadith

Also supported by vast numbers of muslims. http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/t...-about-sharia/
-- Oh wait.

Adultery is not judged by this criteria but by admission or 4 testimony.
Oh, that makes it reasonable then!

Krejlooc

Banned
Wtf is that!?

In the west, it used to be uncouth for women to ride bicycles because of fear of the seat rubbing up against them while riding, which could have lead to involuntary masturbation. So they invented side-saddle bikes for women to ride "properly" with their legs dangling. It's also why their used to be a stigma against women riding horses.

Assuming that bullshit is the basis of this law in Iran, shouldn't side-saddle bikes be ok?

We should all watch the movie Malena starring Monica Bellucci, she rides a bike in it and only after watching it do you learn that women on bikes is a pretty cool thing

Not

Banned
I love how our first instinct as a patriarchy inventing bicycles was to prevent women from involuntarily masturbating

In the west, it used to be uncouth for women to ride bicycles because of fear of the seat rubbing up against them while riding, which could have lead to involuntary masturbation. So they invented side-saddle bikes for women to ride "properly" with their legs dangling. It's also why their used to be a stigma against women riding horses.

Assuming that bullshit is the basis of this law in Iran, shouldn't side-saddle bikes be ok?
The basis [his basis] is that it will attract men too much and will lead them to sin. Basically, one of the reasons they use for enforcing Hijab; to keep the society pure from doing evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom