• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi court upholds blogger's 10 years and 1,000 lashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC News said:
Saudi Arabia's Supreme Court has upheld the sentence of 1,000 lashes and 10 years of imprisonment on blogger Raif Badawi, despite a foreign outcry.

In March, the kingdom expressed "surprise and dismay" at international criticism over the punishment.

At the time, the foreign ministry issued a statement saying it rejected interference in its internal affairs.

In 2012, Badawi was arrested and charged with "insulting Islam through electronic channels".

For four years he had been running the Liberal Saudi Network, which encouraged online debate on religious and political issues.

Saudi authorities sent his case for review as global pressure to free Badawi mounted.

Badawi received his first 50 lashes in January, but subsequent floggings have been postponed.

A shaky video taken on a mobile phone showed Badawi being lashed by a member of the security forces.

The footage prompted international protests which were repeated every Friday, the scheduled day for the beatings.

It is not clear why Badawi has not yet endured a second round though a medical report found he was not fit for the punishment.

Saudi Arabia enforces a strict version of Islamic law and does not tolerate political dissent. It has some of the highest social media usage rates in the region, and has cracked down on domestic online criticism.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33039815

_81477004_65445629.jpg

_83469253_293aa0c3-63c0-4d5b-976c-9b1452b6e6ac.jpg

In 2012, Badawi was arrested and charged with "insulting Islam through electronic channels".

For four years he had been running the Liberal Saudi Network, which encouraged online debate on religious and political issues.

This is ridiculous.

I also vaguely remember this story and the huge outcry at the time, guess they were just waiting until all attention was elsewhere before continuing the lashing.

Synless

When they issue out 1000 lashes as a punishment, are those done all at once? Or over a period of time?

What do they use for the lashes? A big whip? Like a bullwhip? If so holy hell. Even just the 50 would cause serious injury and bleeding.

Omikaru

When they issue out 1000 lashes as a punishment, are those done all at once? Or over a period of time?
If I remember correctly, it's 50 a week until the punishment is meted.

He had his first 50, but doctors said he was not physically fit enough to receive them the next week. I think he's been in limbo on the matter since.

Wellscha

'Secular' and 'Liberal' are like two of the worst labels in the Saudi society. It's akin to being called a heretic in medieval Europe.

Montresor

Remember this is America's ally brahs. The country so ass-deep in sectarian conflict that they are killing Shias in Yemen and (I believe this is highly likely but not confirmed with any real sources) funding ISIS. They don't let women drive, they have a terrible human rights record, they behead people in public, state-sanctioned executions. Blergh.

eot

Banned
At 50 lashes per month, he would be done after 2 years. And getting lashed only twice a day sounds doable.

They wouldn't sentence him to 1000 lashes and then figure out the most humane way of administering them. The guy's back is going to be one giant piece of scar tissue if he even survives.

I found it particularly ironic when the Saudi King Abdullah died shortly after this blogger's first 50 lashes and western leaders paid him tribute. From our Prime Minister, David Cameron:
I am deeply saddened to hear of the death of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, His Majesty King Abdullah bin Abd Al Aziz Al Saud.

He will be remembered for his long years of service to the Kingdom, for his commitment to peace and for strengthening understanding between faiths.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Saudi Royal Family and the people of the Kingdom at this sad time.

I sincerely hope that the long and deep ties between our two Kingdoms will continue and that we can continue to work together to strengthen peace and prosperity in the world.

GavinGT

Banned
There's a video of this lashing and a picture of the aftermath. The 50 lashes look like nothing but then you see what it did to him and DAMN.

liquidtmd

Banned
arrested and charged with "insulting Islam through electronic channels".

10 years and 1,000 lashes.

For insulting Islam

On the Internet.

Right.

Yo Saudi Court in question - you're fucking morons.

the kingdom expressed "surprise and dismay" at international criticism over the punishment.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccck yoooooooouuuuuu

Ninja Dom

10 years and 1,000 lashes.

For insulting Islam

On the Internet

Right.

Yo Saudi Court in question - you're fucking morons.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccck yoooooooouuuuuu

He never insulted Islam, right? He just runs an internet forum where you can discuss religion.

He never insulted Islam, right? He just runs an internet forum where you can discuss religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raif_Badawi#Trial_and_sentence

n 17 June 2012, he was arrested on a charge of insulting Islam through electronic channels,[ and in December of that year was also cited for apostasy, a conviction which carries an automatic death sentence. Human Rights Watch stated that Badawi's website had hosted material criticizing "senior religious figures". Badawi had also suggested that Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic University had become "a den for terrorists."

On July 30, 2013, Saudi media reported that Raif Badawi had been sentenced to seven years in prison and 600 lashes for founding an Internet forum that "violates Islamic values and propagates liberal thought". The court also ordered the website closed.

On December 26, 2013, Badawi's wife told CNN that a judge had recommended him to go before a high court for the apostasy charge which would result in a death penalty if convicted. On May 7, 2014 Badawi was re-sentenced to 1000 lashes and ten years in prison. He also received a fine of 1 million riyal (equal to about $267,000).

He dared to speak out against the regime.

Sijil

Lol at the US government response, not even a condemnation but expressing concern. Well I guess it pays to be an ally to the US since you get a "be a murderous tyrant" free card, kind of like the last Shah.

Skyzard

Banned
Surprising it was 'only' 10 years for going against them.

There's a video of this lashing and a picture of the aftermath. The 50 lashes look like nothing but then you see what it did to him and DAMN.

Damn I guess not all lashes are given equally. Maybe it's just a lot worse than it looks, there is a video which shows someone getting their lashes and it seemed more about public humiliation than any pain at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom