• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabian Blogger Flogged 50 times for insulting Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has flown under the radar due to the horrific attacks in France, but I feel it deserves at some attention here...

A Saudi Arabian blogger has been publicly flogged after being convicted of cybercrime and insulting Islam, reports say.

Raif Badawi, who was sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in jail, was flogged 50 times. The flogging will be carried out weekly, campaigners say.

Mr Badawi, the co-founder of a now banned website called the Liberal Saudi Network, was arrested in 2012.

Rights groups condemned his conviction and the US appealed for clemency.

On Thursday state department spokeswoman Jen Psaki urged the Saudi authorities to "cancel this brutal punishment" and to review his case.

In addition to his sentence, Mr Badawi was ordered to pay a fine of 1 million riyals ($266,000; £175,000).

In 2013 he was cleared of apostasy, which could have carried a death sentence.

Last year Mr Badawi's lawyer was sentenced to 15 years in prison after being found guilty of a range of offences in an anti-terrorism court, the Associated Press news agency reported.

'Act of cruelty'

The flogging took place outside a mosque in the Red Sea city of Jeddah after Friday prayers, witnesses said.

AFP news agency, quoting people at the scene, said Mr Badawi arrived at the mosque in a police car and had the charges read out to him in front of a crowd.

He was then made to stand with his back to onlookers and whipped, though he remained silent, the witnesses said.

The sentence was widely condemned by human rights groups.

"The flogging of Raif Badawi is a vicious act of cruelty which is prohibited under international law," said Said Boumedouha of Amnesty International.

"By ignoring international calls to cancel the flogging Saudi Arabia's authorities have demonstrated an abhorrent disregard for the most basic human rights principles."

Saudi Arabia enforces a strict version of Islamic law and does not tolerate political dissent. It has some of the highest social media usage rates in the region, and has cracked down on domestic online criticism, imposing harsh punishments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30744693

I'm at a loss for words.

commedieu

Banned
flogging_med.jpg

xbhaskarx

"In 2013 he was cleared of apostasy, which could have carried a death sentence."

Well every cloud has a silver lining I guess...

Bizazedo

Needs to be on the mainstream news shows.

Won't be, though. People will post on the Internet, be outraged, and then go home and do nothing.

lenos16

Ah yes, Saudi Arabia, allies of the west and sponsor of terrorists. I guess barbaric sharia laws and terrorism really go hand in hand.

JordanN

Banned
Needs to be on the mainstream news shows.

Won't be, though. People will post on the Internet, be outraged, and then go home and do nothing.
It's not even that. As long as oil keeps being bought, no one will stand up to Saudi Arabia.

Something like the electric car will scare them more into reforming.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
He isn't even Anti-Islam.

He was specifically writing critically about Senior Religious Leaders in Saudia Arabia and how their interpretation of Islam was wrong.

His lawyer that was jailed for being a terrorist? He founded the organization Monitor of Human Rights in Saudi Arabia. He was sentenced to 15 years in jail and then after that 15 YEARS of no travel. He literally can't leave Saudi Arabia for 30 years.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
What was the 'insult'? Not that it matters, of course.

EDIT:
Above me said:
He isn't even Anti-Islam.

He was specifically writing about Senior Religious Leaders in Saudi Arabia and how he felt they weren't following Islam correctly.

His lawyer that was jailed for being a terrorist? He founded the organization Monitor of Human Rights in Saudi Arabia. He was sentenced to 15 years in jail and then after that 15 YEARS of no travel. He literally can't leave Saudi Arabia for 30 years.

Ouch. Not doing much good for your image right now, Saudi Arabia.

Bizazedo

It's not even that. As long as oil keeps being bought, no one will stand up to Saudi Arabia.

Amusingly, we don't get the majority of our oil from them. We being USA. But yes, economics are still the big reason they can do what they want, you are correct.

Syriana had that great line that I wish got trotted out more.

"Corruption? Corruption?!

Corruption is why we win!"

kess

This is the kind of dumbshit medievalist thinking that made people beat on the Jews for "killing God", whatever that meant.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Calling out religious leaders? In Saudi Arabia? Surely, nothing's going to go wrong there. They're the world heavyweight champions of protecting Islam and then some, afterall.

Abounder

Banned

The next 15 years will be interesting times as Saudi Arabia deals with their fading royalty, insecure borders, social reform, and dealing with poor angry young people because of American Shale and perhaps nuclear energy:

THESE are not easy times for Saudi Arabia. It is engaged in a fight for supremacy in the global oil market against America’s shale-oil upstarts. It frets that America will strike a nuclear deal with Iran and move closer to the Shia power with which it vies for influence in the region. It has tried and failed to oust Syria’s leader, Bashar Assad, strengthening both his Iranian ally and creating a virulent new strain of Sunni jihadism. It is taking part in America’s air campaign against the jihadists, but at home there are rising fears of a terrorist blowback, of the sort that Riyadh suffered at the hands of al-Qaeda between 2003 and 2005. Indeed, on January 4th a suicide-bomber killed a Saudi general and two other soldiers on the border with Iraq, despite Saudi efforts to fortify and extend a buffer zone. The border with Yemen is scarcely safer.

----

A future Saudi monarch may find foreign policy the easy part of the job. At home problems are pressing and less attended to. Liberals rail against the slow pace of reform in a country where the Koran is the constitution and women are still banned from driving, while the devout Wahhabist religious establishment balks at innovations such as the appointment in 2013 of 30 women to the Shura Council, a consultative body. The Shia population in the country’s east, who make up some 15% of Saudis, are restless.

Above all, the youthful and growing population of 30m needs jobs. This means reducing subsidies and handouts, and weaning the economy off its dependence on oil. Abdullah has been seen by most Saudis as a benevolent father-figure. His successors may not be so fortunate.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21638134-generational-change-looms-ail-king

Hopefully social reform is swift and peaceful; these punishments are medieval

Lol, the guy is a Muslim and did not insult Islam at all.

Lawyer Waleed Abu Alkhair told the BBC that Mr Badawi, a father of three, had confirmed in court that he was a Muslim but told the judge "everyone has a choice to believe or not believe."

He was convicted of the charges of setting up a website that undermines general security and of ridiculing religious figures.
KSA has made insulting its country and its officials to insulting Islam itself.

ElTopo

Banned
Whats flogg?

I think we found Neogaf's equivalent to Ralph Wiggum.

"What's a battle?"

"Did that boy just ask what's a battle?"

"No, he said rattle. What's that rattling sound."

It's a shame what radical Islam gets away with. But remember, you can't criticize it without being labeled as an Islamaphobe.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The thing that has bugging me lately about these types of events is how fucking immature the whole thing is. The idea that you need to violently punish someone for saying something that you don't like or goes against your beliefs is just so childish. It's like a spoiled baby's temper tantrum. A schoolyard "my dad can beat up your dad" argument taken to the most absurd, inane conclusion.

People need to grow the fuck up and learn to act like adult humans.

I think we found Neogaf's equivalent to Ralph Wiggum.

"What's a battle?"

"Did that boy just ask what's a battle?"

"No, he said rattle. What's that rattling sound."

It's a shame what radical Islam gets away with. But remember, you can't criticize it without being labeled as an Islamaphobe.

Maybe I'm just interested in the meaning of a word I never heard in my life? English is my 3rd language after all

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The thing that has bugging me lately about these types of events is how fucking immature the whole thing is. The idea that you need to violently punish someone for saying something that you don't like or goes against your beliefs is just so childish. It's like a spoiled baby's temper tantrum. A schoolyard "my dad can beat up your dad" argument taken to the most absurd, inane conclusion.

They are using it to control the population. A public demonstration of violent punishment is used to control people that would otherwise be doing what this blogger is rightfully doing.

UrokeJoe

This right here is the way I feel about all of this.

Coolwhip

Banned
They are using it to control the population. A public demonstration of violent punishment is used to control people that would otherwise be doing what this blogger is rightfully doing.

Something we did in the west 500 years ago too :/
People suck.

Trago

Oh definitely, there's a 'Big Brother is watching you' vibe to how it works. At least, that how family there describe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom