• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabian Blogger Flogged 50 times for insulting Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

Are these also extremist "not real Muslims", as people like to say when horrible things are done in the name of Islam? Well, obviously they're extremist. But probably rather mainstream in that region? Fucking stone age barbarians.

Is it really mainstream or is it a case of the ruling body having too much power and not representing the will of the people? Western countries like the UK and US are close allies to these stone age barbarians, guess money trumps morals.

GAF suddenly lacks humor.

Put that joke on sickipedia and see how many negative votes it gets.

why isn't Saudi Arabia sanctioned to hell and back? surely their human rights record is worse than say Cuba...

ohhhh right, yea i forgot, nevermind.

we should remember though that it isn't that long ago when Europeans were publicly executing people, there are many people alive who remember those times.. it's recent history (there's even a video on youtube of a guillotine execution on a Paris street in the 30s..).

why isn't Saudi Arabia sanctioned to hell and back? surely their human rights record is worse than say Cuba...

ohhhh right, yea i forgot, nevermind.

we should remember though that it isn't that long ago when Europeans were publicly executing people, there are many people alive who remember those times.. it's recent history (there's even a video on youtube of a guillotine execution on a Paris street in the 30s..).

So we shouldn't talk about human rights abuses because people were guillotined in France a long time ago? Got it.

rBose

Banned
Is it really mainstream or is it a case of the ruling body having too much power and not representing the will of the people? Western countries like the UK and US are close allies to these stone age barbarians, guess money trumps morals.

Put that joke on sickipedia and see how many negative votes it gets.

What happened to him is indeed unbelievable and atrocious but since we're talking about islam anything is possible. I never thought that saying something "negative" or condemning this religion would actually lead to flogging someone and besides that, jailing him for 10 years which is fucked up...

So we shouldn't talk about human rights abuses because people were guillotined in France a long time ago? Got it.

yeah that's not what i'm saying.. i'm saying we shouldn't say emotionally charged idiotic shit like "BARBARIANS!", but have a more humble and civilized tone. unless you also wanna call our european and american elders who did similar horrific shit (and worse during WW2) barbarians. that's fine then, i guess.

honestly i think Saudi Arabia should be treated like North Korea until the regime changed it ways. their leaders are apparently just as crazy. though now that i think about it, sanctions haven't worked against NK or Cuba, or anyone really, so maaaybe that's not a good idea..

Zaph

honestly i think Saudi Arabia should be treated like North Korea until the regime changed it ways. their leaders are apparently just as crazy. though now that i think about it, sanctions haven't worked against NK or Cuba, or anyone really, so maaaybe that's not a good idea..

That's the murky world of international politics for you - we have to pick our battles.

Currently, having an ally in Saudi Arabia helps us to slowly and bloodlessly bring Russia to it's knees for shamelessly invading sovereign soil, among other things. Having a black and white approach by insisting we only work with allies who share out attitude's to freedom of expression, democracy etc just creates a mess - examples of which you can see all over the world and throughout history.

Keep them close, integrate them into formal structures such as the UN, and slowly but surely bring about lasting change by exposing and talking about these abuses.

Chittagong

Gold Member
yeah that's not what i'm saying.. i'm saying we shouldn't say emotionally charged idiotic shit like "BARBARIANS!", but have a more humble and civilized tone. unless you also wanna call our european and american elders who did similar horrific shit (and worse during WW2) barbarians. that's fine then, i guess.

I don't know what you are getting at. Europeans were barbarians not long ago. We executed people by cutting their heads off, not long before that we drew and quartered people, and burned 'witches' who we thought insulted Christianity and worshipped false beliefs. I am not sure why we need to be humble and just accept it will also take Islam several hundred years to do away with their medieval ways, just because that's what it took Christianity? Today's world is different, all the information of the world is in the fingertips of everyone, and countries like Saudi Arabia and North Korea are barbarian not because they somehow don't have access to modern ways, but because it serves their regime best.

ZiZ

I agree, how can Saudi Arabia and America be allies when it commits all these terrible crimes...

Like killing thousands of people with drones in their houses on the other side of the world, declaring open season on black people and starting a few wars.

FiggyCal

Banned
I agree, how can Saudi Arabia and America be allies when it commits all these terrible crimes...

Like killing thousands of people with drones in their houses on the other side of the world, declaring open season on black people and starting a few wars.

It's really not like the US has much of a moral ground to stand on. What with all the war crimes and what not.

spekkeh

Banned
There you go, nothing to do with Islam but to protect their monarchy and paid religious leaders. As usual its about their own agenda and making sure no one rebels against their system. The SA govt is one of the worst and corrupt but that doesn't stop west to use them and keep them in power because you know its helping their agenda. Talk about the blatant hypocrisy.

But if this guy was really guilty of such thing in a "real" Islamic country where all laws of Islam are upheld and there is due diligence and they had a justice system that was not corrupt and they decide some punishment according to their laws, why does it bother everyone. Its their country, its their law, they can implement the laws as they see fit. Imagine some country doing same to a western country 'hey we don't like this and that law, it just doesn't look right to us...change it'. What would be their answer, 'lol mind your own business'.
We hold these rights to be inalienable? No? No clue?

spekkeh

Banned
Well no, inalienable human rights were first penned down by Hugo Grotius. And I think we should hold every country to that standard. If you don't think so, you apparently don't believe in inalienable human rights. Which, according to my moral system, means your system stinks.

diaspora

People behaving in a manner reminiscent of centuries old governments should be labelled as barbarians.

jelly

Even if they do run out of oil wealth or whatever, they have so much international holdings for when that day comes. It's like their insurance. Not sure what will become of their own countries though.

KmA

So many posters are satirically pointing out that it's "only extremists." You're basically saying that the government (not really a substantial population of people), which is responsible for this disgusting human rights violation, defeats the argument of "only extremists."

Ummm, please stop being intentionally dense. Do you consider North Korean citizens responsible when their government does something reprehensible? Stop trying to group all Saudi Arabians together.

waypoetic

Banned
This will surely go over well with the rest of the world.

Except: the media isn't covering or talking about it. I've only seen this mentioned by Human Rights Watch, IHEU (International Humanist and Ethical Union) and other similar sites and organizations. Haven't seen anything about it on the news.

spekkeh

Banned
So many posters are satirically pointing out that it's "only extremists." You're basically saying that the government (not really a substantial population of people), which is responsible for this disgusting human rights violation, defeats the argument of "only extremists."

Ummm, please stop being intentionally dense. Do you consider North Korean citizens responsible when their government does something reprehensible? Stop trying to group all Saudi Arabians together.

Though what to think of North Korean communist party members?

Condom

Though what to think of North Korean communist party members?

Uh good luck at being North-Korean and not being a member of the party.

Anyway the objections to the ignorant comments on the first page are legit, the Saudi government/family have their whole own sect in Islam.

When people want to differentiate with 'it's the extremists' are the sects and general practised Islam like in North-African countries, Jordan, Indonesia etc.

While far from secular in their laws and such, these countries show a more than acceptable form of the religion. Not to say that they are evolving and becoming more liberal day by day.

I don't know if this has been posted or not but here is the video of Badawi getting flogged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eua1SvrRUq0

poor guy didn't deserve it
It's soo weird looking at this without bursting out in laughter or throwing up.
Such a tiny planet. And the internet has brought us all so close, making the world even smaller, giving us all acces to all information (well some countries have a lot of censorship ofcourse.). And then you watch something like this and you see this giant gap. Almost as if you are looking back in time a couple of ages. It is weirding me out man.

Portugeezer

We had some islamic professor in Canada scold our prime minister for calling the france terrorist attack barbaric. Thats how PC canada is now.

That's ridiculous, unless the islamic professor sees the attackers as true Muslims, in which case he has a lot of explaining to do.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Sorta related to this story in terms of Saudi Human Rights violations(perhaps a new topic is in order) but Saudi Arabia just publicly beheaded a Burmese woman in Mecca

Authorities in Saudi Arabia have publicly beheaded a woman in Islam’s holy city of Mecca, prompting further criticism of the country’s human rights record.

Laila Bint Abdul Muttalib Basim, a Burmese woman who resided in Saudi Arabia, was executed by sword on Monday after being dragged through the street and held down by four police officers.

She was convicted of the sexual abuse and murder of her seven-year-old step-daughter.

A video showed how it took three blows to complete the execution, while the woman screamed “I did not kill. I did not kill.” It has now been removed by YouTube as part of its policy on “shocking and disgusting content”.

There are two ways to behead people according to Mohammed al-Saeedi, a human rights activist: “One way is to inject the prisoner with painkillers to numb the pain and the other is without the painkiller,” he told the Middle East Eye.

This woman was beheaded without painkillers – they wanted to make the pain more powerful for her.”

The Saudi Ministry of the Interior said in a statement that it believed the sentence was warranted due to the severity of the crime.

The beheading is part of an alarming trend, which has seen the kingdom execute seven people in the first two weeks of this year. In 2014 the number of executions rose to 87, from 78 in 2013.

There's more at the link, including more about Raif Badawi's lashes.

Like many trials of foreigners in the country, mainly from poorer countries that Saudis look down on, I doubt that she was given a fair trial. Not to mention that she was claiming her own innocence. She was executed in a disgusting manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom