• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to face Andre Berto on September 12th at MGM Grand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the kind of answer you give when faced with undeniable reality.

lol, do you know how old a sport boxing is? Do you even know who some of the top boxers in the sport are that are not household names? When the UFC starts sending fighters to compete in the Olympics, then we can talk. Boxing isn't going anywhere.

Khan doesn't fit some ideal of what you'd want a guy to have in order to beat Floyd(that guy doesn't exist). He has gotten better and he presents a problem Floyd's never quite dealt with.

Also, Floyd's taken weak jawed fighters 12 rounds before. I doubt he'd care to step in and time a leveraged shot like Garcia did. Too risky.
Mayweather would beat him in a unanimous decision then Khan would claim he ran from him the whole fight.

There's no one left to fight for Floyd. If Thurman/Khan/Garcia/Porter/Brook want to all face each other throughout 2016 then maybe a dominant champion can call out Floyd to return. Otherwise, he's way too good for anyone to actually compete with and no one wants to pay to watch him spar with hapless opponents.

Pacquaio 2 would be a hard sell. The fight wasn't competitive. Mannys shoulder "injury" is a joke. The IV stuff isn't a big enough scandal to cause a public groundswell for it. The fight was a big crossover event that cost 100$ and was disappointing. Manny nuthuggers need to just accept that after years of demanding the fight, Manny got the fight and fought like garbage and got handled.

Floyd has managed his money well enough (so far) that he doesn't need to be Roy Jones fighting bums in his late 40s in non televised fights. He may be the rare Lennox Lewis type who retires and never comes back (and Lewis by all rights should have rematched Vitali)

He doesn't have to fight, yes. He's still not turning down 50-0. No way, no how. He cares about his legacy WAAAAAY too much to do that. The only question is who and when. And unless something crazy happens (like he gets arrested or something), I don't see how when isn't next year.

Tekniqs

Hate to break it to you but boxing is dead. So there's no here we go again, just a period to a conclusive sentence.

But it's nice to be reminded WHY every time there's a noteworthy boxing PPV.

Didn't he have surgery on that shoulder after the fight?

if boxing is dead, MMA never made it past conception

Tekniqs

Vegas also allows Floyd to take a painkiller for his hands. The primary reason why he doesn't fight at MSG or the Cowboys Stadium. NSAC actually allows him to take masking agents though is fucked up

you know xylocaine is actually legal in most states right? something like 46...

at least come with correct information if you want to sling mud at the guy

lol, do you know how old a sport boxing is? Do you even know who some of the top boxers in the sport are that are not household names? When the UFC starts sending fighters to compete in the Olympics, then we can talk. Boxing isn't going anywhere.

lol, I'm sure it's doing fine as a niche sport alongside other great Olympic sports like Croquet and Badminton.

If it's this bad now, imagine how wrecked it's going to be when Mayweather isn't around.

I almost forgot this PPV was on today. Luckily, I was able to watch the last 2 matches.
In a way, I'm glad to see FM win and retire.
The guy earned his spot in boxing history, but his whole defensive/keep away style of boxing has made his matches boring to watch over the years.

Zab Judah SHOULD have won by DQ when Floyds cornermen came into the ring.
Maybe but Zab in his prime was one of the most dangerous opponents I've seen Floyd box.
And Zab was actually hitting Mayweather in the early rounds of the fight until Floyd started figuring him out.
Nonetheless the dude claiming he only fights scrubs or men past their prime is ignorant or a liar.

Maybe but Zab in his prime was one of the most dangerous opponents I've seen Floyd box.
And Zab was actually hitting Mayweather in the early rounds of the fight until Floyd started figuring him out.
Nonetheless the dude claiming he only fights scrubs or men past their prime is ignorant or a liar.

Zab did really well until Floyd made adjustments.

Floyds last few opponents are better than most other fighters.

Berto
Pacquaio
Maidana x 2
Canelo
Guerrero
Cotto
Ortiz

Even allowing for the gimmie of the Berto fight, I don't know how anyone can be upset with the opponent selection. It's not his fault that they couldn't hang.

charsace

I don't understand what people see in the Khan fight? Floyd beat Canelo who is bigger, stronger, and has a better chin than Khan. I guess people want Khan to get a big payday and I'm cool with that.

I don't understand what people see in the Khan fight? Floyd beat Canelo who is bigger, stronger, and has a better chin than Khan. I guess people want Khan to get a big payday and I'm cool with that.

Khan and Canelo's styles are different, Khan Mayweather would be simply be one of the most interesting fights out there for Mayweather if he were to continue.

charsace

Khan and Canelo's styles are different, Khan Mayweather would be simply be one of the most interesting fights out there for Mayweather if he were to continue.

I think a guy that comes forward like Canelo is the style that can beat Floyd. If you are going to fight him cautiously then Floyd wins every time.

Tenebrous

Khan is fast, and and apparently Mayweather would struggle with him...

I know, it's ridiculous. Khan is a B level 140lb fighter that moved up to welter because he saw dollar signs. He has no chance vs Mayweather, and I'm sick of him bitching about Mayweather & Pac avoiding him. For that reason alone, I hope he doesn't get the payday, and finally decides to give us British fans what we want by getting in the ring with Kell Brook.

I think a guy that comes forward like Canelo is the style that can beat Floyd. If you are going to fight him cautiously then Floyd wins every time.

Well if you're comparing fighters in terms of being defensive or attacking than yh they're similar, but there's more to it than that.

Khan is fast, and and apparently Mayweather would struggle with him...

I know, it's ridiculous. Khan is a B level 140lb fighter that moved up to welter because he saw dollar signs. He has no chance vs Mayweather, and I'm sick of him bitching about Mayweather & Pac avoiding him. For that reason alone, I hope he doesn't get the payday, and finally decides to give us British fans what we want by getting in the ring with Kell Brook.

Hardly anyone is suggesting Khan will win, it's simply a match up that will likely provide far more entertainment than other fights out there. Khan's fast has better reach, is younger and is the sort of fighter who usually brings his A game when he can truly be bothered, so you'd likely see the good side of Khan if it were to ever happen. That all said, this still doesn't mean he'll beat Mayweather, far from it, it's just a given his skillset it's a match up that a lot of people would like to see.

I agree his constant talk about Mayweather/Pacman is annoying, and also if he isn't going to get either fight (which is the most likely outcome, well at least not Mayweather) than I too would love to see Brook Khan.

Frog-fu

Banned

How do you figure? Canelo got absolutely humiliated in that fight. Pacquiao, Marquez, Mosley, De La Hoya, Maidana, Cotto, Hatton - pretty much every big name Mayweather has fought came at him offensively and were embarassed. Of the last two one got knocked out for the first time in his career and the other was close to it.

The only fighter that is going to beat Mayweather is someone with superior speed and better defense. That's a tall order because Mayweather still has ridiculous speed and is arguably the greatest defensive fighter of all time.

You'd basically need someone with the combined strengths of the defensive mastery of Pernell Whitake/Prince Naseem and offensive speed and power of Pacquiao/Broner.

Again, tall order, no doubt, but nothing else has worked thus far and I think that's why Mayweather just can't be beat.

Turin

Banned
How do you figure? Canelo got absolutely humiliated in that fight. Pacquiao, Marquez, Mosley, De La Hoya, Maidana, Cotto, Hatton - pretty much every big name Mayweather has fought came at him offensively and were embarassed. Of the last two one got knocked out for the first time in his career and the other was close to it.

The only fighter that is going to beat Mayweather is someone with superior speed and better defense. That's a tall order because Mayweather still has ridiculous speed and is arguably the greatest defensive fighter of all time.

You'd basically need someone with the combined strengths of the defensive mastery of Pernell Whitake/Prince Naseem and offensive speed and power of Pacquiao/Broner.

Again, tall order, no doubt, but nothing else has worked thus far and I think that's why Mayweather just can't be beat.

Eh. Let's just say I'd be curious to see how Floyd would have fared against the late 90's/early 00's welterweights.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Zab did really well until Floyd made adjustments.

Floyds last few opponents are better than most other fighters.

Berto
Pacquaio
Maidana x 2
Canelo
Guerrero
Cotto
Ortiz

Even allowing for the gimmie of the Berto fight, I don't know how anyone can be upset with the opponent selection. It's not his fault that they couldn't hang.

Agreed. In a year when he (probably) outclasses his opponent at the opening of the new MGM arena I expect it to be the same argument.

kinggroin

Banned
Hope homeboy stays retired this time.

The sport is doing pretty great this year before taking this fight into account, so its going to be great that other deserved boxers get more time in the spotlight.

The ESPN PBC for instance did fantastic!
http://www.boxingscene.com/santa-cruz-vs-mares-huge-ratings-hit-pbc-on-espn--95318

And with the next upcoming events (Deontay, Klitschko, GGG, Canelo/Cotto to name a few) it'll continue to pick up steam.

And lol@ the guy saying the sport is dead.

Edit: lol @ those not figuring out after 49 wins, the guy really is just that good at not losing.

harSon

Banned
What's stopping Mayweather from fighting Kell Brook instead of Khan?

I don't think Mayweather feels that Brook is even a threat (he isn't), I think it's more so that he's pretty much unknown to the general populace due to fighting exclusively in his home turf with the exception of one fight.

lol, I'm sure it's doing fine as a niche sport alongside other great Olympic sports like Croquet and Badminton.

If it's this bad now, imagine how wrecked it's going to be when Mayweather isn't around.

People said the same when Marciano retired, along came Ali.

When he retired people yet again thought that, Sugar Ray Leonard came.

Boxing has a long history of alleged "deaths" but super stars always come shortly after another one leaves.

Jarrod38

Hope homeboy stays retired this time.

The sport is doing pretty great this year before taking this fight into account, so its going to be great that other deserved boxers get more time in the spotlight.

The ESPN PBC for instance did fantastic!
http://www.boxingscene.com/santa-cruz-vs-mares-huge-ratings-hit-pbc-on-espn--95318

And with the next upcoming events (Deontay, Klitschko, GGG, Canelo/Cotto to name a few) it'll continue to pick up steam.

And lol@ the guy saying the sport is dead.

Edit: lol @ those not figuring out after 49 wins, the guy really is just that good at not losing.

It's going to be interesting with the Golovkin going PPV this time around.

funkypie

Banned

Nah Khan is trash and doesn't deserve anything. He has been coasting by that there was no big British name to rally around. He got silver at the Olympics at 18 then the media wank fest made out he was the saviour of British boxing. After him losing his first professional fight in less than 30 seconds, he has been nothing but a hack.

Always funny to watch his fights, you know with a high probability he will down at least once.

He fight bums and old guys past their best and when he does fight someone in his level, he loses then goes back to fighting bums to build his confidence lol.

ZoddGutts

Boxing ain't going nowhere as long it has top Mexican/latino fighters, we hispanics/latinos won't let this sport die. Cotto/Canelo fight will do big numbers.

I think Tommy Hearns would have taken Floyd at 147. Ring technicians like Floyd never really bothered Tommy, it was guys who could pressure him and get inside that great reach of his.

Hearns outboxed Sugar Ray for 13 rounds before a desperate Leonard dug deep and got aggressive, no longer trying to box with Hearns and instead looking for a knockout.

That's not something Floyd could do. Leonard had superior power and offensive skills compared to Floyd, and the mentality to stop boxing and fight when he needed to. Floyd hasn't ever shown that. I see Hearns out pointing him and hurting him a few times, and Floyd would go total defense for the last four or five rounds to ensure he made it to the bell.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
7a033c.gif

1ccc4c.gif

31ac12.gif

WOnqDkK.gif

Fc4oyaV.gif

Floyd actually opened up and engaged more this fight. He can't help if everyone gets a bit gunshy when you face him.

He is at least an 8.9 in every aspect of boxing. That 8.9, to me, is when you double and triple your jab, he backs up in a straight line. He never did it as much as before but he does it now. However, when you can evade like the first gif, it doesn't even matter much. He's easily the most skilled ever. Someone can call Ali or someone else the greatest based on whatever their own metrics but the most skilled? It's Floyd by a landslide. He does everything textbook and without flaw.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I think Tommy Hearns would have taken Floyd at 147. Ring technicians like Floyd never really bothered Tommy, it was guys who could pressure him and get inside that great reach of his.

Hearns outboxed Sugar Ray for 13 rounds before a desperate Leonard dug deep and got aggressive, no longer trying to box with Hearns and instead looking for a knockout.

That's not something Floyd could do. Leonard had superior power and offensive skills compared to Floyd, and the mentality to stop boxing and fight when he needed to. Floyd hasn't ever shown that. I see Hearns out pointing him and hurting him a few times, and Floyd would go total defense for the last four or five rounds to ensure he made it to the bell.

Read: Floyd vs Diego Corrales. Floyd fought the bigger man and owned him. Sugar Ray as far as power, depends on the weight. at 140, Floyd wasn't UDing people like he does now, he was cracking heads on the regular. Offensive skills, nope, Floyd has him beat. The only thing that Hearns had that would likely give Floyd trouble is the reach of Hearns. If he could find a way inside of it, as I'd assume he would or at least have enough success for a 7-5 fight, he'd be fine. However, 78 inches is a lot of ground to cover in reach when you are only 72. He'd have to have Tommy smothering his own work as Floyd can fight in the pocket very well while having the necessary quickness to get out of harm's way.

RBH

If Floyd Mayweather's expected rout of Andre Berto on Sept. 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas truly was his final fight, then Mayweather will have gone out with a whimper, not with a bang.

According to multiple industry sources, the Mayweather-Berto Showtime PPV card was a box-office bomb, selling 550,000 subscriptions, at best. It could have done as few as 400,000, one of the sources said.

"Being generous, it might hit 550,000 buys," one source said.

That would make the fight by far the worst-performing bout of Mayweather's now-expired six-fight deal signed in 2013. It is his weakest pay-per-view performance since he was an HBO PPV rookie in 2005 and 2006 for fights against Arturo Gatti and Zab Judah.

Those bouts were profitable because they did not come with the giant expense of Mayweather-Berto, which cost $36 million in purses for the main event alone -- $32 million for Mayweather and $4 million for Berto -- not to mention millions more in expenses for the rest of the card and the overall promotion.

At around $70 a pop, a little lower for standard definition and a little higher for high definition, if the fight lands at 550,000 buys, then it generated around $38 million. But a little less than half of the gross goes to the cable and satellite providers, likely leaving the promotion with less than $20 million from pay-per-view sales.

Even with other revenue streams from the live gate, foreign television and sponsors, the fight likely will be a money loser. The live gate was Mayweather's weakest in years, with the crowd of 13,395 not close to being a sellout.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...re-berto-fight-disappoints-pay-per-view-sales

BadAss2961

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again...”

After Mayweather's performance against Pacquiao — brilliant to boxing aficionados but boring to most 'noobs' or 'casuals' — I couldn't convince anybody to come see this fight even for free.
Performance has little to do with these numbers. It's the opponent. Floyd was always good at picking opponents that would give him big numbers. This time he just seemed ready to finish his Showtime deal or maybe his career coming off the mega payday with Manny.

Performance has little to do with these numbers. It's the opponent. Floyd was always good at picking opponents that would give him big numbers. This time he just seemed ready to finish his Showtime deal or maybe his career coming off the mega payday with Manny.

He's going to fight again. There's no way he doesn't. He wanted that fight to be under a brand new deal with whomever (HBO, Showtime, or maybe he goes out on a limb and tries something completely different), with him making an even larger percentage of the money than he stood to make with his last fight under Showtime. I'd argue that that's why he picked an underwhelming opponent he knew he could beat, because he was saving the most worthwhile ones as options for his 50th fight.

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again...”

After Mayweather's performance against Pacquiao — brilliant to boxing aficionados but boring to most 'noobs' or 'casuals' — I couldn't convince anybody to come see this fight even for free.

It had more to do with the fact that Berto is a scrub and everyone knows it. Floyd being "boring" to casual fans wasn't some revelation people discovered after the Paq fight. People have been whining about it for years. The difference is they still tuned in on the off chance that he would lose. Everyone knew he had close to zero chance of losing to Andre Berto.

Not surprised. Will be interesting how he handles the 50th fight.

People think it's a given but something tells me there is a legit shot he is really just done and this is not just some con game. The way Floyd has acted in the lead up to the Paq and Berto fights was strange. It really seems like he's over the whole process.

Blackhead

Redarse

It had more to do with the fact that Berto is a scrub and everyone knows it. Floyd being "boring" to casual fans wasn't some revelation people discovered after the Paq fight. People have been whining about it for years. The difference is they still tuned in on the off chance that he would lose. Everyone knew he had close to zero chance of losing to Andre Berto.

Cmon this was still a historical fight with Mayweather equaling the undefeated record. Even excusing for the fact that Berto is a scrub you'd still expect people to turn and pay homage to a fighter that many boxing purists call the best in the world if not greatest of all time. If Mayweather were even mildly entertaining to 'casuals' they would have turned in for the fight no matter they dislike the foregone conclusion that he wasn't going to be beaten. Blame Berto if you must but it's telling that Mayweather can't carry a card on his name only.

Cmon this was still a historical fight with Mayweather equaling the undefeated record. Even excusing for the fact that Berto is a scrub you'd still expect people to turn and pay homage to a fighter that many boxing purists call the best in the world if not greatest of all time. If Mayweather were even mildly entertaining to 'casuals' they would have turned in for the fight no matter they dislike the foregone conclusion that he was going to be beaten. Blame Berto if you must but it's telling that Mayweather can't carry a card on his name only.

I didn't expect that because you average fan A) doesn't care about a record previously held by some guy they never heard of and B) aren't going to pay $60 to pay homage to a guy they dislike.

The last 3-4 years Floyd has been setting PPV records because people tune in to see him lose. That's it. When he was "Pretty Boy Floyd" and was still one of the most skilled boxers around, nobody was checking for him. When he started acting like an ass he started setting PPV records. His fighting style never changed. Do the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom