• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to face Andre Berto on September 12th at MGM Grand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see MGM giving him 50 mil to grad open their new arena next year.
He ain't walking away from that.

Even then, the bigger the gate, the more he gets paid. The basic question is whether he'd rather make $32 million fighting a scrub like Berto or $50-100 million fighting a legit contender like Khan or fighting Manny again (numbers pulled out of my ass, of course, but you get my drift).

Tenebrous

Even then, the bigger the gate, the more he gets paid. The basic question is whether he'd rather make $32 million fighting a scrub like Berto or $50-100 fighting a legit contender like Khan or fighting Manny again (numbers pulled out of my ass, of course, but you get my drift).

You mean someone with a 2% chance instead of no chance?

Turin

Banned
I want to see the Khan match up. There's no one else I find interesting for Floyd to fight. No, not Thurman. I doubt a rematch with Pac will look any different. At least Amir presents a unique look for Floyd as a guy who's faster and taller than he is.

No one knows who they are. But I guess that gives them more of a free pass to come in and shit on a sport they know nothing about but have tons of ideas on how to improve it.

Lol. Indeed.

jmaine_ph

May/Pac 2 would make Floyd so much money. 50-0. Rematch. Injury and IV controversy from part 1. I can't see him walking away from that.

I want to see the Khan match up. There's no one else I find interesting for Floyd to fight. No, not Thurman. I doubt a rematch with Pac will look any different. At least Amir presents a unique look for Floyd as a guy who's faster and taller than he is.

Lol. Indeed.
I had khan for his 49th and after watching this fight,berto hanged in there more than i expected, so now i think khan definitely can make things interesting.khan looked suspect vs algeri though. before that he looked like he was on another level.

Turin

Banned
I had khan for his 49th and after watching this fight,berto hanged in there more than i expected, so now i think khan definitely can make things interesting.khan looked suspect vs algeri though. before that he looked like he was on another level.

Khan often performs based on the opponents level but, if we're being real, I think Floyd's timing and control of positioning will carry the day in the end.

Still, it's a new challenge for Floyd.

abuC

Even then, the bigger the gate, the more he gets paid. The basic question is whether he'd rather make $32 million fighting a scrub like Berto or $50-100 million fighting a legit contender like Khan or fighting Manny again (numbers pulled out of my ass, of course, but you get my drift).

People would criticize him for fighting Khan, mainly because Khan's chin is.........

breidis-prescott_amir-khan.gif

amir-khan.gif

Feather fisted Chris Algieri actually buckled his knees, I'm pretty sure Floyd would knock him out.

TuXx

Didn't even need to watch this one to see how it would play out. Hopefully we'll see 50-0 against a better quality opponent.

King Kovu

Khan scary ass needs to fight Brook or Thurman before he can fight Mayweather.

Turin

Banned
People would criticize him for fighting Khan, mainly because Khan's chin is.........

Khan doesn't fit some ideal of what you'd want a guy to have in order to beat Floyd(that guy doesn't exist). He has gotten better and he presents a problem Floyd's never quite dealt with.

Also, Floyd's taken weak jawed fighters 12 rounds before. I doubt he'd care to step in and time a leveraged shot like Garcia did. Too risky.

TuXx

amir-khan.gif

Feather fisted Chris Algieri actually buckled his knees, I'm pretty sure Floyd would knock him out.

I think even Khan is aware on how brittle his chin is. Ever since the Garcia fight, dude's been extra picky on who he fights.

abuC

Khan doesn't fit some ideal of what you'd want a guy to have in order to beat Floyd(that guy doesn't exist). He has gotten better and he presents a problem Floyd's never quite dealt with.

Also, Floyd's taken weak jawed fighters 12 rounds before. I doubt he'd care to step in and time a leveraged shot like Garcia did. Too risky.

Khan's weak jaw is on a different level, Algieri actually rocked him and Chris is one of the weakest punchers in boxing. He's still too open and while he's done a little job protecting his chin if you can hit it you can hurt him.

amir-khan.gif

There isn't a fighter out there that someone wouldn't criticize him for picking. Khan would just be criticized less.

Edit: And on top of that, he doesn't care how much he gets criticized. He cares how much the fight gets promoted/publicized. And since I don't really think Floyd's an idiot (he's a lot of things, but that isn't one of them), I think he picks the most lucrative fight he can for his 50th, especially since his contract with Showtime is over.

smurfx

get some go again

amir-khan.gif

i think many boxers would have gone down with those kinda shots. dude had shitty defense and left himself wide open.

Turin

Banned
Khan's weak jaw is on a different level, Algieri actually rocked him and Chris is one of the weakest punchers in boxing. He's still too open and while he's done a little job protecting his chin if you can hit it you can hurt him.

Not really. If that was true then Lamont would have knocked him down a dozen times.

He has a bad chin and Floyd could knock him out. I just don't think he'll put the effort in to do it.

abuC

i think many boxers would have gone down with those kinda shots. dude had shitty defense and left himself wide open.

Not really. If that was true then Lamont would have knocked him dozen a dozen times.

He has a bad chin and Floyd could knock him out. I just don't think he'll put the effort in to do it.

https://youtu.be/1oDrWbvSKtk?t=449

It took Khan two rounds to recover from that shot by Algieri, arguably the weakest puncher out there right now. And in the later rounds it was Algieri stalking him and Khan was reacting like he was a monster puncher, he was afraid to get into trades with feather fists.

Turin

Banned
It took Khan two rounds to recover from that shot by Algieri, arguably the weakest puncher out there right now. And in the later rounds it was Algieri stalking him and Khan was reacting like he was a monster puncher, he was afraid to get into trades with feather fists.

Okay. He was leery because he got hurt. Doesn't mean he was dizzy for two rounds. Khan always fights on the back foot when he doesn't think he'll score an easy knockout.

And give me a break about Algieri. He's not Paulie Malignaggi. He was punching with much more leverage after the change in trainer. Still not what I'd call a good puncher but not feather fisted. Probably similar to Bradley's level of power.

lol, bamboozle huh? You guys kill me. Floyd with the gun in his hand...

If you can think of a better word for what is widely recognized as that massively disappointing Manny fight. Whole thing is a boring joke where the lead up is better than actual fight itself.

Might explain why boxing is sucking ass in general. At least in the UFC fights live up to their billing plenty of times.

If you can think of a better word for what is widely recognized as that massively disappointing Manny fight. Whole thing is a boring joke where the lead up is better than actual fight itself.

Might explain why boxing is sucking ass in general. At least in the UFC fights live up to their billing plenty of times.

Oh here we go with the UFC vs Boxing spiel again! You're not guaranteed your money's worth in either sport; a bad match is a bad match. If you don't like a particular fighter's style, then don't blame him if you pay for one of his fights and it's not all you thought it'd be. UFC had plenty of awful PPVs this year, and this very boxing undercard had two excellent fights on it. Plus Manny had just as much fault, if not more, for the fight being lackluster as Mayweather. Mayweather fights the same way every time, so you can only bamboozle yourself if you go in expecting a war.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I hope for 50 he fights Danny Garcia just for the entertainment of Mayweather and Garcia's talking shit to each other.

DarkFlow

Banned
Fuck outta here; Manny's weak now? Canelo? Cotto?

like a box of saltines. I don't like Floyd as a person but at least I can admit reality.

Manny is weak ? admit it mayweather is the best of this era.
The dude was well past his prime and had a bum shoulder to boot. So yeah. He ducked Manny for years till he knew he was no longer a threat.

You guys trying to tell me Berto wasn't a cake walk?

Leunam

Bum shoulder that only came out after the loss. Floyd beat Manny handedly and he would have done the same five years ago.

No one is saying Berto was elite competition, but people are talking about Mayweathers opposition being weak as if they only started watching him after his second fight with Maidana.

May/Pac 2 would make Floyd so much money. 50-0. Rematch. Injury and IV controversy from part 1. I can't see him walking away from that.

This.

Thurman unfortunately doesn't register on any mainstream/casual level since he hasn't been in with a "big name" fighter, so he doesn't juice any PPV buys.

Khan can a little with UK buys, he's been around a while, and is the type of personality + different type of fighter that I think they could market him pretty effectively as an intriguing opponent to the casuals, plus you've got Roach as the trainer.

Floyd's beaten Cotto and Canelo, don't see him trying either one of them again since they've moved up in weight, Cotto's looked great since he probably started juicing
(testing in boxing is a joke, so I tend to not bat an eye when it comes to HGH or EPO, loaded gloves like Margo though, that shit is criminal, certainly don't stand for that).

Floyd won't fight Triple G at a catch weight (154?), nor should he, too much risk, especially at his age, he's earned the right to not make this superfight, too much of a weight difference to be a fair fight.

Manny is the only name financially that makes sense for 50-0.
Floyd knows he can beat him again.
Floyd/Manny 2 it will be.

The dude was well past his prime and had a bum shoulder to boot. So yeah. He ducked Manny for years till he knew he was no longer a threat.

You guys trying to tell me Berto wasn't a cake walk?

Mayweather is past his prime and older than Manny. You think he's rich enough to have his own fountain of youth? Manny couldn't handle the loss, that's why he cried about the shoulder.

And no, Berto was not a live threat, but does every fight have to be against a top contender? Did anyone bitch when Manny fought Algieri?

Manny would be a fool to fight Froid in Vegas again. The guy takes 750mL instead of 50mL to mask shit and they do nothing. Not surprised because they've never suspended him for beating women and the NSAC acted like assholes at Anderson Silva's hearing.

DMczaf

Manny would be a fool to fight Froid in Vegas again. The guy takes 750mL instead of 50mL to mask shit and they do nothing. Not surprised because they've never suspended him for beating women and the NSAC acted like assholes at Anderson Silva's hearing.

Why wouldn't he fight him?

He can just blame an injury when he gets clowned again

funkypie

Banned
Why do people even bother watching mayweather fights? It is the most boring shit ever, every time he fights people get sucked into the hype, only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Didn't see the latest but let me guess he dance around the ring dodging punches for 12 rounds against someone we've never heard of.

Oh here we go with the UFC vs Boxing spiel again! You're not guaranteed your money's worth in either sport; a bad match is a bad match. If you don't like a particular fighter's style, then don't blame him if you pay for one of his fights and it's not all you thought it'd be. UFC had plenty of awful PPVs this year, and this very boxing undercard had two excellent fights on it. Plus Manny had just as much fault, if not more, for the fight being lackluster as Mayweather. Mayweather fights the same way every time, so you can only bamboozle yourself if you go in expecting a war.

Hate to break it to you but boxing is dead. So there's no here we go again, just a period to a conclusive sentence.

But it's nice to be reminded WHY every time there's a noteworthy boxing PPV.

Why wouldn't he fight him?

He can just blame an injury when he gets clowned again

Didn't he have surgery on that shoulder after the fight?

There's no one left to fight for Floyd. If Thurman/Khan/Garcia/Porter/Brook want to all face each other throughout 2016 then maybe a dominant champion can call out Floyd to return. Otherwise, he's way too good for anyone to actually compete with and no one wants to pay to watch him spar with hapless opponents.

Pacquaio 2 would be a hard sell. The fight wasn't competitive. Mannys shoulder "injury" is a joke. The IV stuff isn't a big enough scandal to cause a public groundswell for it. The fight was a big crossover event that cost 100$ and was disappointing. Manny nuthuggers need to just accept that after years of demanding the fight, Manny got the fight and fought like garbage and got handled.

Floyd has managed his money well enough (so far) that he doesn't need to be Roy Jones fighting bums in his late 40s in non televised fights. He may be the rare Lennox Lewis type who retires and never comes back (and Lewis by all rights should have rematched Vitali)

Vegas also allows Floyd to take a painkiller for his hands. The primary reason why he doesn't fight at MSG or the Cowboys Stadium. NSAC actually allows him to take masking agents though is fucked up

Hate to break it to you but boxing is dead. So there's no here we go again, just a period to a conclusive sentence.

But it's nice to be reminded WHY every time there's a noteworthy boxing PPV.

Didn't he have surgery on that shoulder after the fight?

Lol, okay. Whatever lets you sleep at night.

There's no one left to fight for Floyd. If Thurman/Khan/Garcia/Porter/Brook want to all face each other throughout 2016 then maybe a dominant champion can call out Floyd to return. Otherwise, he's way too good for anyone to actually compete with and no one wants to pay to watch him spar with hapless opponents.

Pacquaio 2 would be a hard sell. The fight wasn't competitive. Mannys shoulder "injury" is a joke. The IV stuff isn't a big enough scandal to cause a public groundswell for it. The fight was a big crossover event that cost 100$ and was disappointing. Manny nuthuggers need to just accept that after years of demanding the fight, Manny got the fight and fought like garbage and got handled.

Floyd has managed his money well enough (so far) that he doesn't need to be Roy Jones fighting bums in his late 40s in non televised fights. He may be the rare Lennox Lewis type who retires and never comes back (and Lewis by all rights should have rematched Vitali)
Someone who gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom