• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flying Lotus - "You're Dead!" (Oct 7, 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonkid

Being self-indulgent is a perfectly valid criticism, not that it applies here. These songs are far too short to be considered self-indulgent :p You can call films self-indulgent and for music, more so.

woolley

Being self-indulgent is a perfectly valid criticism, not that it applies here. These songs are far too short to be considered self-indulgent :p You can call films self-indulgent and for music, more so.

How is making music for themselves a valid criticism? Wouldn't you want the artist to make something they want and not what other people want?

Moonkid

How is making music for themselves a valid criticism? Wouldn't you want the artist to make something they want and not what other people want?
Well self-indulgence implies an excess or lack of restraint but I guess we're not really using that definition here. I guess if self-indulgence is making music for yourself, are there not degrees to which you do that? For example, some albums clearly have singles produced for the radio, not that this one does. And on a fundamental basis, pleasing the audience is an aspect of music-making. Cadences, repetition of ideas, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer they should make music for themselves but I don't think it's a one-sided affair and I would gladly be challenged on that opinion.

I guess it's a pretty subjective thing at the end of the day. Personally I do like a lot of romantic music, but some of it does feel too self-indulgent for my tastes. Perhaps one day I will appreciate them but not at the present moment. This is why I joked that the tracks are too short to be called self-indulgent because sometimes excessive length can detract from a song. Again, opinions and all, what you find self-indulgent I may not and etc.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Was the Deluxe LP supposed to come with an art print or am I crazy? I swear that was on the list of stuff you get when you ordered one months ago... I got mine in last night and it's a great set, but I feel like there is something missing and they altered the listing on bleep.

Monster Zero

Love the album, *Siren song is a standout for me* some of thundercats best work, but man I would kill for another July heat, or raw cartoons for this dude. Been way too long

Dereck

csMteKn.jpg

giphy.gif

http://imgur.com/a/xcuBh

The Boys Who Died in Their Sleep is pretty 10/10 perfect
It really is

Servbot24

Banned
Well self-indulgence implies an excess or lack of restraint but I guess we're not really using that definition here. I guess if self-indulgence is making music for yourself, are there not degrees to which you do that? For example, some albums clearly have singles produced for the radio, not that this one does. And on a fundamental basis, pleasing the audience is an aspect of music-making. Cadences, repetition of ideas, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer they should make music for themselves but I don't think it's a one-sided affair and I would gladly be challenged on that opinion.

It's true that artists should attempt to communicate with their audience, but they should be communicating themselves. Music should be the distilled sound of one's "soul". And most people, if they are being honest, are not 4:4 verse/chorus/verse/chorus guitar songs. People are ugly, weird, chaotic, messy and amoebic. If the artist communicates that clearly, responsibility then falls on the audience to interpret that, without resorting to shallow knee-jerk criticisms.

Mr.Pig

So can any of you who knows about dynamic range tell me whether its better than the way too loud cosmogramma? I read the feature on emusician about the production and they claim he has changed his way.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So can any of you who knows about dynamic range tell me whether its better than the way too loud cosmogramma? I read the feature on emusician about the production and they claim he has changed his way.
It's not as loud as Cosmo but it definitely still suffers the same crush. He's definitely going for a noisy sound and has achieved that very well.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
I absolutely adore the vocal harmonization in the last few seconds of Coronus, the Terminator. My friend got tickets for his show in D.C., pretty fucking jealous about that.

This album has really opened up for me recently. Been doing some deep breathing exercises/meditation while listening to it, and mother of god this album is remarkable, and very conducive to facilitating some higher states of consciousness. Not a surprise given the style but I've never had his music do this for me until now, the layers come together in such a sublime way, it's some of the most blissful music I've heard. The way "Turkey Dog Coma" comes down at the end with the different layers of vocals sounds so fucking good, reminds me of that connected to the infinite feeling you get when taking something like DMT. Damn majestic this record is, can't stop listening to it.

trixx

haven't evenheard it yet =/. I think FlyLo is in toronto next week same day i have a midterm, might go see it but show is $40, i don't know.

Pookie Pi

Neo Member
I like the album. It ain't no Cosmogramma or Los Angeles, but it's solid.

Favorite tracks are Theme, The Protest, Never Catch Me, Coronus, and Descent Into Madness.

AcridMeat

Banned
Finally gave it a listen yesterday, listening to it again now. As much as I like Never Catch Me I actually think it'd be better without Kendrick Lamar's vocals, they don't add anything for me. Until 1:45.

edit: Turkey Dog Coma and Coronus are damn good.

were we out or in here?

Either way, Flylo was mad decent. Thundercat tho.... whole notha level.
Yeah Thundercat was bangin'. FlyLo in the cube tho was insane. Was quite pleased overall. After seeing him at both The Masquerade and The Tabernacle I think I prefer masquerade. It was a smaller venue but the acoustics were to much. He didn't sound as loud at the tabernacle. But the Captain Murphy hype was real. Started from the back of the standing room and wind up in the front by the end of it all!

Moonkid

The last track is pretty much my favourite for now.
It's true that artists should attempt to communicate with their audience, but they should be communicating themselves. Music should be the distilled sound of one's "soul". And most people, if they are being honest, are not 4:4 verse/chorus/verse/chorus guitar songs. People are ugly, weird, chaotic, messy and amoebic. If the artist communicates that clearly, responsibility then falls on the audience to interpret that, without resorting to shallow knee-jerk criticisms.
And I agree with you, especially in this case where it really isn't self-indulgent at all in my opinion. I just didn't agree that self-indulgence couldn't be a criticism, which in hindsight in this case was more an issue about doing what they want to rather than an excess of such.

The layout of the Vinyl is pretty hilarious.
Side A and C use about 15-24% of the vinyl, and the rest is all runoff groove. Then the other sides use every available centimeter.

Mr.Swag

Banned
The layout of the Vinyl is pretty hilarious.
Side A and C use about 15-24% of the vinyl, and the rest is all runoff groove. Then the other sides use every available centimeter.
As someone whose never even held a vinyl disc in my hands, I have no idea what this means, or how vinyl works.

I was at the concert at Lincoln Theater and it was really a great time. I took some videos on my Nexus 5, but it couldn't handle the frequency range of the music and sounds awful.

Flylo started with "DC, I regret to inform you... motherfuckers but... you're dead." and it was great from there. He did the Final Fantasy 7 cover.

Though Thundercat might have been my favorite part for me. The live performance of Heartbreaks and Sadness was my highlight.

pantsmith

Just saw him tonight at the Tower in Philly, and looooooved it. Great live show to complement a great album.

Highlight was his take on the Final Fantasy VII victory music + mako reactor tracks. Out of nowhere and soooo dope. If anyone knows where I can find them out in the wild I will owe you forever.

ant1532

Banned
Just saw him tonight at the Tower in Philly, and looooooved it. Great live show to complement a great album.

Highlight was his take on the Final Fantasy VII victory music + mako reactor tracks. Out of nowhere and soooo dope. If anyone knows where I can find them out in the wild I will owe you forever.
i saw him in miami last weekend. i was like :O when i heard that too.

i liked his set a lot but i think its time Flylo hires proper musicians to take his live show to that next level.

Yeah that's fucked up.

Made by the guy who does Johnny Salad Fingers, so it makes sense.

Been wondering what that guy's been up to for all these years, guess still makin disturbing shit!

Imagine Pharrell's reaction to this video if he had decided to do be on the album lol.

Odd song choice for a video though, probably the least standout track imo. I wanna see one for Coronus!

Soma

Damn that video is pretty out there even for me.

I dig it though. Very interesting and I can't imagine a better visual representation for the song now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, seeing that this is my first flylo album since cosmogramma...

When did flylo turn into a free jazz artist?

Not that I disliked it. Really like this album on my first listen.

Just saw him in Orange County. One of the best shows I've been to in awhile!

And if anyone has a CDQ of the FFVII tracks, please share! Nostalgia hit me hard when he dropped those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom