• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flying Lotus - "You're Dead!" (Oct 7, 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip E.

Neo Member
Incredible. He is one of the few artists pushing things ahead these days.

I was excited to catch his upcoming show in Detroit, but I recently learned that Shigeto will be performing with a live ensemble on the same day (also in Detroit). Seems that I will have to miss out on a Flying Lotus performance once again.

omgkitty

People really love this? I like it even less than Until the Quiet Comes, and Cosmogramma is one of my favorite albums ever. IDK the album starts off really well, especially with the avant-garde jazz going on, and then it goes into "Never Catch Me" which I love, but it just doesn't do anything for me after that.

BobDylan

a friend sent it to me but Im currently out of town and want to wait to get home until I can smoke a joint and bump it on my monitors. in my eyes flylo can do no wrong

lush

The Protest was a good closer. Solid album, still a bit too samey from him.

Dude needs to make another Los Angeles already, that along with Reset and his LA EPs are his best.

Kinda OT but Just got back from a Kimbra show called 'Space Jam' where she brings on random musical guests and jams with them for two hours. Thundercat was one of the guest musicians tonight. They absolutely destroyed. Knocked my mind out of its place.

Just heard the FlyLo x Kendrick today. Bout to dive into the album early now. Ticket for the 10/11 ATL concert has been bout for months. Feinding. His last concert here was incredible......just incredible. An Australian DJ to open the set , then Teebs, Thundercat, and FlyLo. He pulled Captain Myrphy out too. Hype was real son. Can't wait!!!!

I think the best tracks are "Theme", "Never Catch Me", "Dead Man's Tetris", "Turkey Dog Coma", "Coronus, the Terminator", "Siren Song", "Ready Err Not", "Descent Into Madness", "The Boys Who Died In Their Sleep", and "Obligatory Cadence".

So so good.

Isnt that most of the album?

Servbot24

Banned
First 5 tracks are maybe the best stretch of music he's ever made

Yet this somehow ends up being his worst album. Still enjoyable though!

Dartastic

Fly Lo GAF will probably hate me for this but...

I don't think I like this album. While I think that he's still incredible live, this album is just straight up too jazzy for me. Cosmogramma still seemed to be beat driven, and his last album still had a decent amount of beat driven stuff as well, but this album feels like a straight up jazz album to me.

I have nothing against jazz music, but I don't really listen to it that much anymore. It doesn't do anything for me. This record feels like Fly Lo just straight up smoked too much weed while making it. If I'm not high, there's nothing that really makes me want to listen to it, because I'm not into jazz anymore. :(
People really love this? I like it even less than Until the Quiet Comes, and Cosmogramma is one of my favorite albums ever. IDK the album starts off really well, especially with the avant-garde jazz going on, and then it goes into "Never Catch Me" which I love, but it just doesn't do anything for me after that.
I know that feel. It's still REALLY REALLY GOOD... but only from a jazz standpoint. This is a jazz record. I just don't give a fuck about jazz anymore.

not into this at all. nothing memorable on first listen. most of it sounds like a bunch of jazz musicians wanking around. cosmogramma did a good job retaining the shred and melody but this is pure wank the first half and the second just sucks ( ready err not??)

I don't think I like this album. While I think that he's still incredible live, this album is just straight up too jazzy for me. Cosmogramma still seemed to be beat driven, and his last album still had a decent amount of beat driven stuff as well, but this album feels like a straight up jazz album to me.

I have nothing against jazz music, but I don't really listen to it that much anymore. It doesn't do anything for me. This record feels like Fly Lo just straight up smoked too much weed while making it. If I'm not high, there's nothing that really makes me want to listen to it, because I'm not into jazz anymore. :(

I actually agree. I think its a good album but its no Cosmogramma

Moonkid

I'm a classical-head so I'm curious to know what exactly makes this album jazzy, most of it probably passed over my head. I noticed more progressive rock influences personally.

Dartastic

I actually agree. I think its a good album but its no Cosmogramma

I'm a classical-head so I'm curious to know what exactly makes this album jazzy, most of it probably passed over my head. I noticed more progressive rock influences personally.
Jazzy, prog rock, improv... these all can be kinda under the same umbrella. I just wished he made some more actual songs, ya know?

This just sounds like a bunch of great musicians fucking around, but that's not why I like Fly Lo. I like him because of his hip hop sensibilities, and it doesn't feel like there's any of that in this record.

Steamlord

This might be my favorite FlyLo release yet, and it's specifically because of that balls to the wall jazz sound. Different strokes, I guess.

Dartastic

So I tweeted at Fly Lo last night. I sent two tweets. I said...

"Love you man, but the new record is just too jazz. And I LOVE jazz. Can you please make some hip-hop bangers again?" and...

"Like, you're so obviously one of the most talented musicians I've EVER heard. But like... this new record is so self-indulgent."

He favorited the second tweet. Hahahaha!

whoaly shit

that is a great video

that ending choreography is cool
mPV7Rp.gif

Bread

Banned

"Love you man, but the new record is just too jazz. And I LOVE jazz. Can you please make some hip-hop bangers again?" and...

"Like, you're so obviously one of the most talented musicians I've EVER heard. But like... this new record is so self-indulgent."

why even tweet him if you're going to shit on his work? I love his jazzy stuff.

big ander

Video's so good

lol I backspaced a post basically echoing bread earlier: much as it seems twitter's a conversation, it's not. and it's not there for you to randomly tell a dude you think his work's bad. (also a fave doesn't actually mean he liked it he may have been sarcastically faving it like "fuck you" ftr)

Flying Lotus has never made a hip-hop banger too. nothing he's ever done is a pure banger, not a single track doesn't have an experimental or jazz slant. It's perfectly fine to want banger after banger but you should lean on hudmo or lunice or blaze or baauer for that, not lotus

jmood88

I've always liked the Flying Lotus stuff that plays during adult Swim but I've never liked any of his albums. Maybe this one will be different.

overcast

This album is really not overly jazzy. The first few tracks are definitely the most jazzy, but the whole thing feels less "jam session" than Cosmogramma.

I don't know where it ranks, but this album is hitting the right notes. Could be because this one feels like his most emotional piece of work yet. Pretty easily.

Moonkid

Not a fan of the music video at all, seems kinda counter-productive to the nature of his songs.
Jazzy, prog rock, improv... these all can be kinda under the same umbrella. I just wished he made some more actual songs, ya know?

This just sounds like a bunch of great musicians fucking around, but that's not why I like Fly Lo. I like him because of his hip hop sensibilities, and it doesn't feel like there's any of that in this record.
Hm, I see. So it's just not for you I guess, nothing wrong with that.

Courage

This album is really not overly jazzy. The first few tracks are definitely the most jazzy, but the whole thing feels less "jam session" than Cosmogramma.

I don't know where it ranks, but this album is hitting the right notes. Could be because this one feels like his most emotional piece of work yet. Pretty easily.

Definitely.

As of right now it's runnerup for his best album with Los Angeles being first of course.

Onyar

I didn't enjoyed as his previous work but it's good, maybe too much good reviews put the level too high.

big ander

how amazing would a Kendrick Lamar album produced by FlyLo be

goddamn i want that to be a thing

Not that good tbh. Never Catch Me has grown on me a lot (I still don't think it's even one of the best on the album) but Fly Lo's production doesn't work for straight-up rap music at all. doesn't give the right pockets and rhythms for amazing verses.

Is true that I'd rather have that project than songs where kendrick&producers interpolate funk songs until they become disney clean enough to stand alongside Magic! on top 40 radio

DoubleYou

Man I'm so psyched for this.
I'm actually more of a "Cosmogramma" guy and what I'm hearing so far really resembles that album. Sick artwork too.

big ander

Man I'm so psyched for this.
I'm actually more of a "Cosmogramma" guy and what I'm hearing so far really resembles that album. Sick artwork too.

Me too, Cosmogramma > Los Angeles > UTQC >= 1983

all the art is so cool, my first listen I just put all the track art in preview and flipped through it while the album played. felt appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom