• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flying Lotus - "You're Dead!" (Oct 7, 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadsic

Los Angeles' actually all you need. I feel Flying Lotus really peaked on that album. On Los Angeles he had a style that sustained from the first song to the very last. Maybe it's just me but after Los Angeles I haven't been able to find/hear the amazing soundscapes he can create. Now his albums sound like he's over-doing everything and the beats are all over the place. FL can still craft intriguing shits, that's for sure. But as a whole he's lacking something.

sometimes i feel like this, but i think his later stuff is more interesting at this point

Song sounds awesome but come on with those fucking tags.

EDIT:

Was this a Power 106 Exclusive from L.A. Leakers? I can't fucking tell.

K.Sabot

I think Cosmogramma is the best jumping on point, IMO.

It's the most complete album he's made in a thematic sense, it's also more related to this release.

trixx

Los Angeles' actually all you need. I feel Flying Lotus really peaked on that album. On Los Angeles he had a style that sustained from the first song to the very last. Maybe it's just me but after Los Angeles I haven't been able to find/hear the amazing soundscapes he can create. Now his albums sound like he's over-doing everything and the beats are all over the place. FL can still craft intriguing shits, that's for sure. But as a whole he's lacking something.
For me personally i usually find myself skipping many tracks on the other albums than with Los Angeles, probably because some of the tracks are too busy. But theres no harm in checking out the rest of his albums if you like L.A. I still enjoy Cosmogramma(that album art), 1983, and Pattern+Grid World.

Until the quiet comes is okay. Ideas, drafts and loops... :( but i should have expected it from the name

Dereck

I wonder how Flying Lotus feels about releasing an album on Warp a few weeks after Aphex Twin's huge return.

The only thing that could make this year a lot better is if Prefuse 73 came out with a new album on Warp.

Soma

welp

kCl9G0K.jpg

First impression

Yup it sounds like FlyLo.

Besides the Snoop and Kendrick tracks this sounds like an extension of Until the Quiet Comes with a hint of Cosmogramma

big ander

Moment of Hesitation, Descent into Madness, Turkey Dog Coma. damn. As always with Flying Lotus the record just flows so well. I think a lot of the strings are really cool.

Best though is just all of side A-- Ellison really on some experimental math rock shit, like Hella meets Brainfeeder. Cold Dead in particular is incredible. The ending nearly meets that, The Protest is a perfect wrap-up track for the "story"
Don't ask for links guys.

Also, how does Never Catch Me work into the album?

Very well. It's still not an amazing song, just really great, but on the record it follows up on Cold and Fkn Dead ideally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom